ITT: Soul Crushing War Films

Post the most soul crushing and depraved war films. The ones where mans ability for evil makes you loose all faith and belief in the ability for good.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=g5oxzxZuLNA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_After
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bump

.........grave of the fireflies.......

Fires on the Plain is a must (original, haven't seen Tsukamoto's yet but it doesn't look as good)

Obligatory Stalingrad post

Cross of Iron remake starring Idris Elba

Is this one any good? Thinking about checking it out

A Bridge Too Far, not soul crushing in a traditional sense, but you get a very clear sense of progression of the failure that was Market Garden, with the trap inexorably closing in on the airborne divisions. And as time go by, you get soul crushed by the stupidity of the main decisions surrounding this operation.
Some scenes are quite traditionally soul crushing, like the drop of the polish paratroopers directly under german machine gun fire, the refusal of surrender by the british paratroopers, and quite a few death scenes in the late parts of the movie.
Also, in terms of military scenes, it's really one of the best movies ever for historical accuracy and impressive western front battles involving tanks, infantry, airplanes and artillery, everything you could hope for in a great WW2 movie really.

It's ok but focussed too much on the heroic anti-war protesters rather than the soldiers

The Act of Killing

Buried.

Ryan Reynolds is a truck driver contractor working in Iraq during our occupation. He wakes up in a wooden coffin. The movie never leaves the coffin.

it highlighted how nobody knew quite what the fuck was going on during WWII

Yes it's pretty good, really worth your time especially if you don't know much about the vietnam war, it's a good jumping point.
Also quite pleasant to watch, almost never boring, really good pacing job with the interviews, the music and the archive footage.
But it's not the definitive documentary about the vietnam war either, it lacks a lot about the soviet involvement in the war, which granted is not as researched a subject as the american involvement, but it's barely mentioned at all in the documentary.
Aside from this blindspot though, there's not much to criticize.

It highlighted pretty well how Motngomery had no idea of what the fuck was going on and really wanted to have his name on a major aggressive operation.
It mixes pretty well with Patton I think.

Sup Forums might shit on it because it's popular but
>almost everyone dies, but nobody dies a heroic death (could argue Willem Dafoe)
>majority of soldiers will murder, rape and mutiny given the opportunity
>everyone is an asshole
>lovely fucking war

user if you like claustrophobic movies, you might like the movie Haze. I watched it once, and while I wouldn't watch it again, I thought it was novel in how uncomfortable an environment they had created.

youtube.com/watch?v=g5oxzxZuLNA

>tsukamoto one man show
sold

The whole trilogy is depressing

Also another Ichikawa movie. These two and The Thin Red Line are probably my favourite war films

It's only 40 minutes long though, sadly.

I would watch The Deer Hunter too if you're going the name route. Uncomfortably real movie.

COme and see was such a boring piece of shit. I'm actually mad you faggots tricked me into watching it.

commie propaganda

nip propaganda

Might not all be soul crushing and depraved, but here's some war movies that are definitely depressing:

Pic related's a decent one, if you can get a hold of the original five-hour miniseries cut. The ending's extremely depressing.

>All Quiet on the Western Front (1930).
Probably the best WWI film out there desu.

>Gallipoli
Just the fact that literally everyone dies in the first and also last major battle scene puts it on the list

>The Beast/Beast of War (title depends on what region you're in)
Russian tank crew in Afghanistan gets into some deep shit. Haven't seen it myself, but I've heard it's dark as fuck.

>Ivan's Childhood
Russians love making depressing war movies.

>Supposed to be shocked by imagery of filthy slavs getting what was coming to them

>The Beast/Beast of War

Liking the sound of this one, watching it tonight.

There's "Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom", but I honestly wouldn't wish the experience of seeing that film upon my worst enemy.

this movie is shit, if the 'shock value' -lmao- comes from holding close ups of the actors trying to make their best afraid face and you don't see through the bullshit you might be retarded

lmao wtf you smoking.
Montgomerys plan was fine, the problem was a complete lack of commitment from the allies.

Paths of Glory

>La grande guerra

Italian ww1 film. Might be actually a bit better than All quiet. The book is amazing, but the film has not really aged that well :/

Oh please again with this meme salo is weak not even disturbing like people say the scenes with the wet nurse showing her ass off gave a hard on

>Some scenes are quite traditionally soul crushing, like the drop of the polish paratroopers directly under german machine gun fire

This was plan all along toget rid of any resistance that poles would give when UK and US handed Poland to Stalin.

There are also very """""""""""""unfortunate""""""""""""circumstances on how gen. Wlasislaw Sikorski, who was the chief in command of polish army diet in a plane crash of B-24 Liberator, which literary was the safest machine out there.
Members of his staff also died in """"""unfortunate"""""" car crashes and so.

Should I watch the director's cut, or the original uncut one?

It it like Donny Darko and Apocalypse Now where the theatrical cut is better than the director's cut?

you know I always see these movies portraying war as unimaginably, life-ruiningly traumatizing but I can't help noticing the millions of WWII vets including war heroes who saw intense combat who lived completely normal lives afterwards

>Should I watch the director's cut, or the original uncut one?

For which one?

are you people serious with this shit?

this movie is comical, it's borderline nazisplotation film

Das Boot

OK.
Quick rundown of how each cut works:

>Theatrical cut
Action film about a U-boat crew that moves at a reasonably fast pace.

>Director's Cut
A slower-paced thriller film about a U-boat crew. Still quick enough to qualify as an action-adventure film.

>Five-hour miniseries cut
A drama about a U-boat crew that doesn't shy away from showing how war is 95% tedium and 5% pants-shitting terror. Slow-paced, develops every character as well as it can and is honestly the most faithful book-to-film adaptation I've ever seen.

I see thanks.

Savior (1998)

That one UK made for TV film about nuclear fallout, I heard about it on here and watched it on youtube

Is it the animated one about the elderly couple who die a slow and painful death from radiation poisoning?

threads

Johnny got his gun hands down.
WW1 soldier gets his everything blown off but is still conscious and is kept alive by the army.
Not as much a wars film as it is a physiological breakdown and one of the best anti war films that doesn't get all preachy and actually has a message

Come and See

For recommendations on the nuclear side of things:

Threads, for a soul-crushing portrayal of the utter hopelessness after nuclear exchange
When the Wind Blows, for a cute animated nightmare of an elderly couple being unprepared for nuclear exchange
The War Game, for a less refined precursor to the same idea as Threads.

Kys your self

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_After

The Soviets funded and equipped the NV and provided some intelligence
Nothing else of note. What are you implying?

The Day After is like a walk in the park compared to all of the British productions listed in my post.

Define "normal".

>recommending a movie you haven't even seen

A film that portrays cowards as heroes.

Oh, I agree, both Threads and When the Wind Blows are more hard as fuck, but The Day After still punches pretty hard on its own. That ending to Threads though, just damn...

He asked for movies that were dark and soul-crushing.

I've heard nothing but that about The Beast, so I threw it into a list.

>The Day After still punches pretty hard on its own.
It's pretty meh, to be honest. There's still that cheesy sense of hope.

>That ending to Threads though, just damn...
The best thing about Threads is that it can end so many times, but it doesn't. It just goes on, and becomes even bleaker everytime it does it.

By the time it really ends there's no hope for anything left. IT's the embodiment of begging for the sweet release of death, because living is truly suffering.

>There's still that cheesy sense of hope.
That's fair. With Threads, there is no hope and any shred of it is always pulled out from beneath you.

Gallipoli starring Mel Gibson.

Like 90% of the movie is just the main characters daily life in Australia. And then they run at Turkish machine guns and get killed 50 feet from their home trench.

Up to 20,000 allied troops died in the opening hours of the Battle of the Somme. 57,000 dead during the Gallipoli campaign. All of these men had home lives, all of these men had adventures, hopes, dreams. And then they were forced to run towards the machine guns.

Gallipoli really showcases just how fucked up that is.

Dhe only war stories worth telling are dhe REAL ones: hellstormdocumentary.com

Did you live through the Cold War? Did you know how close we actually came to something like Threads coming to pass?

Threads was pretty close. Operation Able Archer almost invariably started WW3. The nuclear fallout PSA are disturbing to all hell.

congressmen etc. I mean plenty were ruined by ptsd but I don't think even most were

We get it, dude. You fucking hate yourself. Do you want a cookie or a hug?

I thought it was really great. Anti-war protesters do feature heavily (they even interview some throughout) but I wouldn't say they're made out to be heroes by anyone but themselves. It did a good job of showing you how detrimental protests and public opinion were to the war effort though, in my opinion. Not sure whether it was intentional or not but the way some episodes are cut creates a real juxtaposition between "man dying heroically" and "hippies waving VC flags at the park," enough so to make me actually enraged at certain parts. Aside from all that jazz it's definitely worth checking out based on historical merit alone.

>propaganda films are soul crushing

well I mean they kind of are

>Englishmen pretty much forced us to dig trenches and take harder jobs because we were still under the thumb of Britain
>called us diggers, so we took the name on and wore it with pride despite it
>now it's a heroic title

I rarely get patriotic, but damn WW1 is rough.

Pic related was real depressing during the scene in which the children sing to the soldiers

Son of Saul did it better

>tfw pooinaloos were treated better than kangaroos