Is it true that DC changed Shazam's name back to Captain Marvel after Darkseid War...

Is it true that DC changed Shazam's name back to Captain Marvel after Darkseid War? Someone on /toy/ mentioned it and I'm super-curious.

No.

They can call him Captain Marvel all they want inside books, they just can't name the title of the book Captain Marvel. Morrison did it during Multiversity.

No, but it could happen. DC's gradually dropping back in Pre-Flashpoint stories and costumes.

The Jeff Parker/Doc Shaner Convergence tie-in mini did the same thing.

I'm very curious as to what DC has in store for Captain Marvel in the Rebirth status quo. How do you get back to the "core" of the character without changing his name back too?

No, Johns was behind thise changes to please his wb masters. We got him to be God powered, that's all what we will ever get.

why exactly was Captain Marvel dropped?
was there a lawsuit, or they simply didn't want him using their competitors name?

He was called Captain Marvel semi-recently in some mainline DC comic, but I think that was just because editorial wasn't paying attention.

They still can call Captain Marvel (Shazam) but as long his title book doesn't called Captain Marvel.

But I think the reason DC dropped Captain Marvel name in the main continuity due to Marvel is making their own Captain Marvel movie and DC also making Shazam movie and they don't want to confuse the casual

Earth-5 (Which is essentially the Fawcett Earth) still has Captain Marvel, Earth-0 has Shazam

as much as I make fun of Carol I actually don't have a problem with a name change.

i just think calling him shazam is stupid for a number of reasons

1. it's the name of the wizard

2. they literally had better names like captain thunder

3. calling him shazam doesn't work with the rest of the marvel family

4. because his name is the magic word to transform does that mean he changes back everytime he introduces himself?

He literally hasn't shown up since Darkseid War

>4. because his name is the magic word to transform does that mean he changes back everytime he introduces himself?

If you read the comic you'd understand this one. Has to be sad with intent now

Captain Thunder is a fucking awful name though, using it would just be stupid.

i actually forgot about "has to be said with intent" from the new 52

which is still pretty dumb if you ask me

still better than calling him shazam

I always thought the whole "accidentally say the magic word and get turned back into Billy at the wrong time" was a dumb as heck weakness for a power bestowed by an all-powerful wizard.

I don't give a fuck about company wars

But the big red cheese had the name first by many decades, so he should by all rights be called that as equally as the Marvel Comics ones.

I know that a lot of people hated N52 Shazam but I thought they had a good thing going aside from the "say it with intent" bit, killing Black Adam early and such

also, I fucking love the hood, it really works for Billy

They can call him Captain Marvel if they want, they just can't use that as the name of the book or packaging or things like that.

Fuck off, all of Captain marvel liked that name over Shazam.

God I love this sequence.

and for someone granted *super-Wisdom*

The character has always had trouble when it comes to deciding if the superhuman form is being piloted by a naive kid or not.

Can we just have this again?

Yeah it's fucking sentai fodder, that's why I want it!

I wish this is something the main universe would have adopted, but now that we have Jon, Clark mentoring Bill is a little repetitive I guess.

NAH MAN

JUSTICE ACADEMY!

JLA AND JSA TEAM MEMBERS TAKIN' THE KIDS UNDER THEIR WING EVERY OTHER DAY

>Supes hanging out with the 2 jailbaits

Only if Gary Frank is drawing it

Kill yourself

Captain Marvel (DC) is not a DC character, it's a Fawcett character that DC acquired. By the time DC had acquired it, Marvel had introduced their own Captain Marvel character. DC could no longer use that name on covers, as Marvel now had the rights.

Well would you trust any of the other heroes with the jailbait?

>Superman & Batman Generations III

sexless batgod

heck, most of 'em with the obvious exception of Hal.

>Uncle Supes will never gently molest you at a holiday party

why even live

DC can’t use Captain Thunder, as I believe Roy Thomas has the trademark for that name.

Nah.

In 1953 Captain Marvel was a character owned by Fawcett Comics (part of the Fawcett publishing group). National Comics (which would later rename itself DC Comics, after one of its most popular titles, Detective Comics) owned (and had originated) Superman, slightly ahead of Captain Marvel.

National claimed that Fawcett had ripped off Superman to create Captain Marvel and, after a series of long-running court cases ended in settlement, Fawcett got out of comics altogether - to them, it simply wasn't profitable any more, as Captain Marvel (at one time the most popular comics character of all) wasn't selling as much as it used to, and was their best-seller. Between legal costs, the potential threat of damages if the court went against them, and falling sales, National decided to get out while they could.

As a consequence of stopping publishing in 1953, Fawcett allowed all trademarks and copyrights to their comics to lapse. They'd agreed that there would be no new titles, and even reprint partners like L. Miller & Son Ltd (in the UK) were unable to continue using Captain Marvel (which led to the creation of Mick Anglo's Marvelman, now known as Miracleman). So the cost associated with renewing copyrights and trademarks (copyrights at that time being about 30 years) wasn't worth it and Fawcett simply gave up, concentrating on their other publishing businesses.

In 1967 Marvel Comics (until 1957 known as Atlas Comics, and before that as Timely Comics) began using the name Captain Marvel for an unrelated (but homage) character, as the trademark had long since lapsed.

In 1972 DC Comics rented the Fawcett back catalog and began reprints of Fawcett's Marvel, as well as pursuing tv and film options (resulting in 3 shows under the Shazam! brand). In 1977, DC bought the catalog of Fawcett outright (much of which by that stage was on the cusp of public domain).

Shazam! has been the name of the IP that DC/WB have used for preference ever since the 1970s.

>National decided to get out while they could.

*Fawcett

fuck

It's also worth noting that DC leased the Captain Marvel rights originally to try and fuck over Marvel, which was significantly outselling them at that time, and entered into a near-immediate legal action only to find that the trademark was not in question, was Marvel's indisputably, and that this was the fault of National/DC itself trying to fuck over competitors in the 50s, at the end of the first superhero boom. This resulted in settlements by which DC agreed that Marvel owned the name and agreed not to fuck around no more about it.

It's kind of funny, kind of sad.

Also, because DC didn't properly renew copyrights on some issues of Whiz Comics (in which Fawcett's Captain Marvel had appeared), certain iterations of Fawcett's character are in the public domain - you can reproduce them for profit at your leisure, should you so wish.

I want a story where Lois and Clark adopt Billy and Clark teaches him how to be a hero.

I think it was Peter David who pointed out that even from a canon (read: Biblical) standpoint, the Wisdom of Solomon was not all it was cracked up to be.

Been a while since I read the Bible, but I distinctly recall Solomon falling out of God's favor because he let himself be led around by pagan women.

Mark (woke) Waid has expressed interest in returning to DC to work on a Shazam run.

It's gonna happen. He is really good friends with Johns and since he let his other buttbuddy, Cucka, write his Wonder Woman fanfic, I'd say SJWaid Shazam is inevitable.

Monkey paws are dangerous things. Hopefully if it does happen, Waid doesn't try to be hip and thus ruin it all.

His art is nice, but I hate the copypaste smug face he uses for Freddy and Harvey Bullock.

Quote Solomon himself in an issue of Shazam- "If I knew anything about women, I wouldn't have married 50 of them."

I wonder if they can just drop Captain and call him Marvel on the cover.

Good post.

It's a shitty situation because Captain Marvel has the potential to be a huge property and DC over the decades have done everything possible to sabotage it, both intentionally and unintentionally.

Oh fuck...this could be really good....but recent Waid....oh god all those foster kids...it's gonna be a rainbow coalition...oh no Dr. Sivana... Captain Nazi...fucking monkey's paw

>Jurgens restores all of the bullshit he personally wrote in the 90's to continuity, while not referencing anything he didn't write except for Secret Origin
>this is not fanfic and is praised

>Rucka restores only the post-Crisis origin of Wonder Woman, ignoring even his own run
>this is fanfic and le cuck meme

Now this is cognitive dissonance.

Agreed. I didn't like the giving different kids different powers but I loved that the more kids used powers, the less powerful they all were. But shit Waid would really mess up writing a family that is literally all minorities

Counterpoint: Jurgens didn't give us Veronica Cale.

Fuck no. Batman ended up impregnating Superman's grand-daughter. That was nasty.

I think the Roy Thomas cap marvel name expired so there free to use it now

nah it was because they were Elselwords stories, and since they are aimed at oldschool fans the can use the old name without fear of confusing the readers
as some anons mention before they can still use the name, just not in covers or promotional items.

I'll rather they let Grant Morrison do his run instead, sadly it would probably not happen due John's plans for the Shazam series for future synergy with the movie.

Or we could get rid of that stupid diversity kids, Johns is the reason Waid didn't got to work on captain marvel before. Simone and Morrison are also mad about that but they are all professionals that won't make a big deal about that but yeah, Johns has done a lot of bad shit by following the suits and acting as their bitch but no one really blames him for that as it's just part of the game they all play as writers, but blocking 3 other writers from. Working on captain marvel, in the case of Morrison twice its probably the dick move others are actually mad about.

The thunder kids aren't so bad and they have decent justification to be there and a decent callback to the marvel family lieutenants from the Whiz comics. But you are right about the part about blocking other writers and not doing shit with the character for too long.

>4. because his name is the magic word to transform does that mean he changes back everytime he introduces himself?

While I also agree that changing Captain Marvel's name to "Shazam" is dumb, you're forgetting that Captain Marvel Jr.'s way of transforming was saying "Captain Marvel".

You're kinda projecting there.
When were the years this happen again? People don't care as much for Waid and Simone nowadays.

Yeah he was supposed to get his own ongoing coming out of Legends, but didn't end up with one until the mid 90's

I mean, my post clearly indicates a dislike for Rebirth and Johns rehiring has-beens on properties they've worked on the past but you assume I have a high opinion on fucking Jurgens of all people?