Walt Disney Pictures Confirms Artemis Fowl Cast

>After years of development at the studio, Walt Disney Pictures has announced the initial casting for their live-action adaptation of the book Artemis Fowl, which has Kenneth Branagh (Murder on the Orient Express, Cinderella) attached to direct.

>The search for an actor to play Artemis Fowl was extensive, with casting director Lucy Bevan seeing over 1200 candidates for the part. In the end, Branagh chose Irish newcomer Ferdia Shaw, who will make his onscreen debut in the title role. Descended from a long line of criminal masterminds, 12-year-old genius Artemis Fowl finds himself in a battle of strength and cunning against a powerful, hidden race of fairies who may be behind his father’s disappearance.

>Joining Shaw in the film will be Josh Gad (Murder on the Orient Express, Beauty and the Beast) in the role of Mulch Diggums, a kleptomaniacal dwarf who works for the fairies—and himself; Academy Award winner Judi Dench (Victoria & Abdul, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, Skyfall) in the role of Commander Root, the steely leader of the fairy police force (LEPrecon); Lara McDonnell (The Delinquent Season, The Walk Invisible) as Captain Holly Short, the elf hero; and Nonso Anozie (Cinderella, Ender’s Game) as Butler, Artemis Fowl’s formidable bodyguard.

>Based on the bestselling book series by Eoin Colfer and with a screenplay by award-winning playwright Conor McPherson, Artemis Fowl is slated for release in U.S. theaters on August 9, 2019. Production will begin early next year in the U.K.

Wasnt this supposed to be out decade ago?

Fuck I didn't know Disney had their stink on this one too, guaranteed to suck. Not that the source material was that good.

>Artemis is 12 years old
>That means child actor
It was always doomed.

Speaking of movie adaptations, where is my Bartimaeus Sequence at

Of course they cast a nigger for butler. Fuck you Disney.

>Cast a black man as the Butler to a rich white man

>Judi Dench (Victoria & Abdul, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, Skyfall) in the role of Commander Root

wtf

root is suppose some hard ass cigar smoking commander

>genderflipping Root
>raceflipping Butler

No, I will not see it

i like this guy

And he's a fat fuck on top of that. Butler is supposed to be ex-SAS soldier if I remember correctly, not a fat fuck

to be*

I have no idea what this is or why I should care

Nonzo is cool desu

Leader of mi5 in Bond can handle it

Manchild fans will be the death of this movie because they care too much about MUH CHILDHOOD needs to be EXACT adaptation

>genderflipping Root
Wait a minute, wasn't Holly whole character arc is that how she's the first female police officer, and she's trying badly to set a good example? Doesn't making Root a woman smash it to pieces?

This is Holly Short, say something nice to her!

Hiring Josh Gad seems like a poor decision since he's probably a rapist.

I can get on board with a black guy as Butler, i'm not happy with it but I can tolerate it

but Judi Dench as Root? There's no performance she could give that would match up with the character She'll just do M again, and it'll be shit

Gad as Mulch is pretty bang on though, if you can't get De Vito

>Bartimaeus Sequence

my nigga

yes, and yes

butler being black is fine, root being a woman is weird, but judy dench is fine

Fuck.
They ruined it.

Root should have been someone like Patrick Warburton or J K Simmons, not Judi fucking Dench

FUCK

They're fucking retarded, and it will bomb.

I couldn't concentrate on reading because of nice tiddies on the book cover. Why would they cast a child?

>need to cast someone as a feisty tiny little woman person
>not casting ASR

it's ogre, it's already ogre

Who do they cast as the troll?

Also I didn't read any after one what happens?

Artemis teams up with the L.E.P Recon in all the other books to combat both human and fairy villains.

>The Butler family had served the Fouls since Norman times.

WE WUZ..........

Just don't do racial and gender changes for no reason other than "muh progressiveness" then

bartimaeus adaptation when

Not at all surprising. This is even stupid bait, because if you think black people are inferior, you also think they should serve white people. If you think they are equal, then you don't care. He looks like he would be a perfectly intimidating bodyguard, too.
>raceflipping Butler
In the books you don't know what race Butler is supposed to be. The fact that their family has been serving the main family for generations even supports the idea that they would be black, maybe descended from slaves.

Now this one is very surprising. But Dame Judy can probably pull it off. The main thing is that Root needs to exude authority, confidence, and bluster. She can do that even though it's not at all what I would have pictured.

>Artemis adaptation
>Mortal Engines in the works

This is shameless pandering to my generation and it's going to be shit

But I really fucking need Bartimaeus adapted now

Servants. We wuz servants. What's the problem?

Butler is described as Eurasian dozens of times, even though I think this casting's fine. Don't chat shit

The sum of women+black people is higher than the number of white men, did you know? Maybe they are just pandering to the larger audience. Being a minority sucks, doesn't it?

How is he gonna overcome his sexism if he's a woman?

I always pictured Jason Statham as butler

What does that even mean? Like Russian? Uzbek? I always took it to mean that he was ambiguous, just a big scary looking guy who would stand out anywhere.

>In the books you don't know what race Butler is supposed to be
He and his sister are frequently referred to as being Eurasian

I don't know if they will even address that, but I don't see why they can't. Powerful older women are often very harsh on younger women under them. I bet you've never been in grad school.

What is Eurasian? Who is an example of a person you would describe as Eurasian?

"Transporter" Jason Statham would have been the perfect cast.

>What does that even mean?

"not black"

They should have got Dolph Lundgren

Read these books as a kid, but I'm not touching disneyshit.

He's described several times as "EURASIAN". Its very clear you baiting nigger lover that whatever race Butler is (and it IS stated to be somewhat ambiguous) it's definitely not BLACK as he is constantly referred to as EURASIAN. Niggers are from AFRICA not EUROPE or ASIA. He looked life Dolph Lungren not a chimp.

Judy Dench as Root is also huge problem because Holly is the first FEMALE officer in LEPrecon and she's getting busted by her MALE boss because sexism (she thinks). It was a good character arc so why change it when it even fits modern sjw shit that you seem to love?

No fan of the books is gonna like this. You're either a tasteless fuckwit who doesn't understand these YOUNG ADULT FICTION BOOKS or a shill. You're definitely a cunt either way

>disneyshit.
You mean everything?

Personally I think he should've been middle eastern, but the guy they cast looks like he will be good in the part at least. Unfortunately the movie will be shit because
>child actors
Holly is supposed to be like 75 fucking years old, which is young for fairies but definitely not a little schoolgirl.

>Maybe they are just pandering to the larger audience.
Different target audiences prefer different stories, but within the context of those stories audiences all prefer the same themes regardless of their race or sex. It makes the movie objectively less liked by everyone other than a minority of ideologues; it's purely political, so that they can sit among their incestuous little clique fellating each other over how progressive they are while simultaneously taking or delivering it up the ass for careed advancement. They're like preachers raging against humanity's sinful nature while buggering altarboys when nobody's looking. Dunno why this shit is so hard for some people to come to grips with.

>Dench as Root
>black fat Butler
This is going to be fucking awful

Keanu Reeves
Olivia Munn
Chloe Bennet

Eurasian isn't just some imaginary thing someone made up user

WE WUZ Niggers in Ireland since the Norman times who are clearly described as being eurasian featured in the book meaning we could have been chinese or russian looking if you're desperate for diversity so why cast a goddamn nigra?

>Altering source material to such an extent just to make money is justifiable.
Also the movie will bomb anyway.
Retard.

>Dench as Beetroot
Fundamentally destroys Holly’s role as the first female LEPRecon officer.
>Some Nigger as Butler
I mean you can if you want but he always seemed to me to be the Aryan type.
>Gad as Mulch
Now that’s fucking perfect
>Holly is a literal child
What in the fuck

They don't own indie and foreign films, so that's what I'm stuck with basically.

Because your tears are delicious?

BECAUSE DIVERSITY MEANS WOMEN AND NIGGERS ONLY

OTHER RACES DON’T EXIST

BLACK GOOD
WHITE BAD

>Holly is a literal child
>What in the fuck
This appeals to my mythological sensibilities, man. Finally, a proper Irish mythology movie.

The real question is who are they going to cast as Juliet and Opal Koboi

Although that's implying that there will be sequels given the shitshow that are at least two of the casting choices in OP.

and my moneys staying in my wallet so big woop. we're all gonna enjoy pirating this shitfest and then making nigger memes out of Butler

Isn't Commander Root male?

Butler was black in the books wasn't he?

I always assumed Butler was from one of those old Soviet Bloc countries that blur the line between Europe and Asia. He effectively passes as Chinese at one point.

Plus making Root a woman completly changes a lot of Holly's story. They should have cast JK Simmons and just binned the project if he said no.

>Butler is black

Oh fuck this shit, not that it was going to be any good in the first place but they've 100% one of the best characters because they need a nigger in there or some fucking nosering freak will make a passive aggressive tweet about it.

I bet they butcher the fucking troll scene too, no way is disney going to have it be half has graphic as it was in the book.

Oh yeah, Finnish would have been a cool look for Butler. It would fit his demeanor too. I think a movie should just cast whoever plays the role best, regardless of the exact appearance of the actor, unless they are playing a historical character whose appearance is immediately recognizable though (like Abe Lincoln or Chairman Mao or something).

Why does the actor being black ruin it for you? Does it go beyond "I think they are doing this to pander to liberals"?

"Synopsis. Artemis Fowl II is the twelve-year-old prodigy, who has dedicated his life to criminal activities. He leads the Fowl criminal empire, which has been established by his family for generations. After significant research, Artemis believes that he has confirmed the existence of fairies."

DROPPED

>Josh Gad
How is this Jew so well connected he gets roles despite being fucking terrible???

>Areo Hotah changed from Nordic white to black
>Butler changed from Eurasian to black

I'm not even being ironic, I think casting agents are stereotyping 'physically imposing servant' as all black people.

>Butler was black in the books wasn't he?

He's a massive white guy in the graphic novel and is never described as black in any of the books... his family line goes back to the days of the Normans.

Why does leaving a white character white ruin it for anyone? Why change characters around for no fucking reason?

It pisses me off because there's no need to cast a random fat fuck nigger as Butler, they did it simply for brownie points and nothing else.

He's Eurasian, which is certainly not black

If they change that then they're gonna change anythign they fucking want to make it pander to liberals. See Root being replaced with muh stronk female which totally fucks Holly's character arc from square one. First female LEPrecon? Not any more!

His Dark Materials reboot when?

>they made Commander Root an old woman
>they made Butler black
I can't honestly say I care enough about the franchise to get upset, but I won't bother watching it with those changes.

>Why does leaving a white character white ruin it for anyone?
It doesn't. Artemis being white doesn't ruin it for me even though I like this casting for Butler. Fairies being played by white people doesn't ruin it for me even though they are supposed to be Fairies, not white humans.
>they did it simply for brownie points and nothing else
What if they did it because they had auditions for the part and this actor had the best reading? If that were the case, would you be in support?

Not only that but they cast a kid for Holly, they should've just CGI'd the fairy folk instead. It being Disney also confirmed 100% any of the romanic tension between Artemis and Holly will not happen.

It also means that the scene with Butler getting gored and then being and systematically dismantling the bull troll will be utter shit.

Plus his sister is blonder

>First female LEPrecon? Not any more!
I wonder if they changed that because it's not believable in 2017 that there would be a police force that has never had a female officer. It would make the faries look like they are an islamic society or something.

Y'know nobody ever stopped Nigs and women pointing a camera at things and making their own movies right? it's just that when they do the sum total of their entire filmography revolves around being black or being female, so nobody else wants to go see that shit

>Fairies being played by white people doesn't ruin it for me even though they are supposed to be Fairies, not white humans.
Fairies are always described as looking like white people.

>Josh Gad

dropped

>they cast a kid for Holly
What about the gypsy fairy who is the first magical being they meet in the book? The sprite who is all like "wine me you english"

And yet holly is repeated described as being able to pass for a human female child on several occasions as well as having straight auburn hair which is a white person trait. You know that the human and fairy species in the books are related too so fairies looking like white people is spot on?

Honestly the internet nigra defence force is making a complete fuck up of defending this shit. I guess its because none of you know what you're on about because none of you ever fucking read

The books are published by Disney in the US

Kids with fetal alcohol syndrome look pretty fucked up.

>What about the gypsy fairy who is the first magical being they meet in the book?
I'm talking about actual mythology?

>Artemis being white doesn't ruin it for me even though I like this casting for Butler.

I don't even know what you're trying to say here, why would you be mad that character is being accurately casted as their correct race? Are you some kind of mental midget?

Nonso is a decent actor, but I seriously doubt he'll work in this role as he never looks intimidating or scary to anyone, he looks like a chocolate teddy bear.

> Dolph Lungren
with a little de-aging (or not), would this have been the perfect choice?

They're still trying to meme women into combat roles in loads of armies which is basically what LEPrecon is. That arc was free neckbeard burthurt-less marketing for disney and they've fucked it and i want to know why? What story does disney have for holly that will be better.

"Holly's very female struggle for acceptance in a male dominated fairy security force is the timely intervention we need" see?This shit writes itself.

It was good until they started making Artemis try to be good. All I wanted as a genius child thief who stole stuff and occasionally did the right thing. Artemis lost all his charm when he started to listen to his Dad.

Who else was Colfer picturing when he wrote him? This is gonna suck so goddamn hard.

Sly

Ahhh yes because their target audience is some sandy coons in africa who will pay with a few millilitres of cows blood

No, Statham would have been better. But Dolph would have been fine with a little makeup to hide the wrinkles.

Crank Statham, especially when Butler gets shot up a bunch but just keeps going (iirc)

anyone else imagined butler to be like this guy? Not sure if it ever mentioned hair color or shaved head but I always thought darker hair over blonde

>Josh Gad
They'll push this faggot everywhere.

In all honesty, making the Butler black is racist, but liberals wouldn't notice that because they are the real racist, as KKK emerged from democrats.

nah sly's a wop through and through. only Ivan Drago has the repeatedly emphasized "eurasianess"

Stathams a literal midget. Which is no good when his massive size is one of the main things people notice

Pretty sure Butler is either a cueball or shaves his head for the job.

The only descriptive words I can remember about Butler was he is fucking huge and has shovel sized hands.

He would have been surrounded by children, it wouldn't have taken much camera work to make him look bigger.