Why does the MCU rely on quips so much these days?

Why does the MCU rely on quips so much these days?

>rely
They dont. Quipts are just a part of life. These are movies for children that make over a billion in revenue.

Why does DC rely on Edge so much these days?

It's not a quip if it's true.

In-house formula that works. Dramatic alleviation (undercutting a serious moment with a joke or unexpected response to "humanise" the moment) can work well in small doses; everything after "The Avengers" overuses the technique to absurd levels. "Age of Ultron" is Super King Big-Nuts when it comes to overusing the technique, as proven by the Third Act Superbattle.

The alternative is filmmaking and that's too much effort.

>They dont

I just saw GOTG2. Don't fucking lie to the guy

>I just saw GOTG2
Why?

Because I liked the first one. It wasn't bad but the reviews are rights when they say they over rely on the humour and any tension or potential emotional scene is wrecked by Baby Groot

>Why does DC rely on Edge so much these days?

DC wants their movies to be considered...well, not necessarily "adult", but definitely "not for children". It comes from an embarassment of the source material.

>these days
MCU has never not had glib one-liners to break tension
its also been a staple of the comics since before Marvel was Marvel, born from the propaganda days where Cap, Namor, and Torch openly mocked Nazis to their faces for the sake of the troop reader's morale. Spider-Man's whole gimmick has been quips since he first set foot in an underground wrestling ring. and when the F4 came about, Torch II and The Thing were an endless wellspring of bantz

Because you guys have extended the definition of the term to encompass everything but philosophical soliloquies.

You mean WB. If DC had their way I still think they wold want their movies more serious than the MCU but Superman would at least act like Superman

Probable, given the Dark Knight Trilogy (which had a "gritty" world but was ultimately an attempt at optimism). But not by much. Look at "Suicide Squad" - that's about as close to a Marvel movie as the DCEU has gotten yet, and that was still cynical at its core. (Not to mention a poorly-written, poorly-edited movie, but that's a value judgment ultimately that has no bearing on this conversation.)

Spiderman paved the way for all their movies into market for normies, was the standard for influencing the movie marketability of Tony, Thor, and everyone else, and he's always been more quip than man.

Quips disrupt the wait between scenes and moments. Great for those with short attention spans, thus more rewatches, to more profits.

> People aren't wait for a movie to end because lack of quips

>. Look at "Suicide Squad"

Which was still WB. What I mean is that DC needs it's own studio and a Feige to work magic to get Execs to fuck off

Execs aren't the reason Snyder is awful though

Execs - from WB, anyway - are the reason Snyder is doing these films.

The X-Men movies as a franchise has proven more successful than Spider-Man, and while they do have their silly quips and pop culture humor (cut to "yellow spandex?", middle claw bird flipping, all characters cringe to N Sync music, etc etc) they still managed to take themselves fairly seriously and never shy away from potentially scary or heavy moments, while the Spider-Man flicks were pretty much the opposite....majority of it is over the top campy and silly, but with dramatic moments peppered in

I wouldn't say MCU is quite like either because it truly feels designed for normies, unlike the Raimi movies it lacks the tongue in cheek blatant cornballery meant to remind one who might not really be familiar with comics of a general "comic book" corny vibe

I don't really know where I'm going with all this so I'll just say that I wish the MCU was closer in tone to the X-Men movies, to me X-Men flicks were designed to appeal primarily to action film fans, Raimis trilogy was designed to be like a general representation of how the public sees comic books....corny and kitschy, and the MCU just seems to be trying to target teen girls and soccer moms, which is upsetting despite it doing certain things right that the others got wrong

What quip?

Did Snyder make Suicide Squad?

What killed the Spidey franchise was not any of the shit you claimed. It was because of constant reboots. The Raimi trilogy was a great margin more popular than the original Singer trilogy.

>REEEEEEE NORMIES
grow the fuck up you hipster faggots

No, which is odd since both had the same execs watching over them. Yet one made more money and won an Oscar for best film

>The Raimi trilogy was a great margin more popular than the original Singer trilogy.

Was it really? They had an equal amount of merchandise from what I remember , and X-Men was certainly more "cool" among my peers back then

And honestly, as popular as it is to hate X-Men 3 on the internet, I really don't remember anybody feeling that way IRL who I knew, meanwhile EVERYONE I knew felt the same way about Spider-Man 3 by the time that came out

Ruining Venom to 90s kids is a pretty unforgivable sin

The Nolan trilogy had lots of quips.

Yes, by a HUGE amount. The Raimi films played a large part of why Spidey's merch sales are far above other comicbook properties. They also defined Spidey for whole generation. The X-men films while popular never had that effect of X-men and actually played some role in X-men cooled down popularity since the 90s.

>X-Men was certainly more "cool" among my peers back then

That's probably because Spidey was seen as too plebian probably. I mean just look at this thread criticizing the ultra popular MCU.

>And honestly, as popular as it is to hate X-Men 3 on the internet, I really don't remember anybody feeling that way IRL who I knew, meanwhile EVERYONE I knew felt the same way about Spider-Man 3 by the time that came out

Perhaps you haven't, but I knew a few who hated the way the Phoenix saga was adapted, and Cyclops general treatment in the whole trilogy. As for Spider-man 3, so many were anticipating that film. It was just shy of the Dark Knight of permeating pop-culture.

>Yes, by a HUGE amount. The Raimi films played a large part of why Spidey's merch sales are far above other comicbook properties.

Is that really so though? Maybe it is, I haven't looked into numbers and sales too much but I feel like Spider-Man was just always really popular, I mean even before the movies Spider-Man had a shitload more merch than many other comic names just because of the animated series and well, Spider-Man looks cool and is funny, kids like him

>They also defined Spidey for whole generation. The X-men films while popular never had that effect of X-men and actually played some role in X-men cooled down popularity since the 90s.

I don't know...I would agree to some extent, in that the movies don't have the same level of sycophants as Raimi's trilogy and despite having fans very few people will refer to is as "their" X-Men, as if it's the only one that matters or something like with Raimi's Spider-Man...but then again, who knows if those people wouldn't exist had it ever been rebooted? The studio never felt the franchise needed to be rebooted, while Spider-Man did

Their 3 most successful films were one with RDJ, who improvises pithy quips, one directed and written by Joss Whedon, who once said 'never have a scene without a joke', and Guardians, which is a full-blown action-comedy.

Humour has become part of their brand.

Fuck off Manchild. No one is embarrassed of anything, it's just trying to focus on a different target market. WB wants the action movie market, Marvel wants the kid market. It's that simple.

>And honestly, as popular as it is to hate X-Men 3 on the internet, I really don't remember anybody feeling that way IRL who I knew, meanwhile EVERYONE I knew felt the same way about Spider-Man 3 by the time that came out

I was probably about 8 or 9 I think when X3 came out, everyone loved it and everyone, even in amongst children, thought Spiderman 3 was goofy and retarded as fuck. Adults thought it was retarded too.
X Men was and still is the shit though and they changed the movies as their audience got older which was great too, Logan was an excellent, albeit depressing, resolution to it all. I'll tell you, it's fucking weird growing up watching Wolverine, who was always my favourite hero as a kid, and then turning 18 and watching him die. Felt like some sort of sickening, kick-in-the-guts reminder that I'm growing up.
I don't know if Marvel will be able to do the same and adapt their movies that they're giving sequels to like that as time goes on.

Also yeah man, the Raimi movies were fucking huge compared to the newer Spidey movies and compared to most MCU movies save for maybe Iron Man and GOTG. Both kids and teenagers liked them and genuinely thought they were awesome, there were the fucking PlayStation games, all the toys and it was a solid mix of being edgy but not too edgy, real enough and campy. Fuck, I don't know why the Raimi movies were so cool and massive, but they were and I really doubt any Spidey movie or MCU movie will permeate youth culture like that again. Everyone gave a fuck about those movies and continued to 2, 3, 4 years after their release/s, with the newer movies you just kinda watched them, went to school, said "yeah wow that was neat" and forgot about them. Both the X Men trilogy and Raimi Spiderman were a big deal, with the over-saturation of superhero movies it seems like we won't ever get a thing like that for a couple years after they die out.

I wouldn't say that.

I'd say the problem is superficial understanding of the source material and Nolan's Batman films. It's like how a lot of movie studios looked at the success of the Matrix and decided that what made it a success was the leather, sunglasses and slo-mo. WB looks at the Dark Knight and takes away from it that a good superhero film is dark and gritty.

>All this people, land and friends may be dead.
>World maybe coming to an end.
>Became unworthy and has to fight for the enjoyment of others
I bet they just make him quip his way through the movie instead of showing his inner struggle.

Also First Class, Deadpool, DOFP and even Apocalypse I guess was a lot more important than most of the MCU movies that've been spammed out as of late. Fox just seems to make more genuinely memorable movies with memorable lines than Marvel/Disney, every second person under 25 I know cites Quicksilver's scene in the kitchen at the Pentagon in DOFP as being one of their favourite movie scenes of all time.

> characters having inner struggles

He's a god user. Inner struggles is for spiderman homecoming and pete

because it sells and people LIKE it

unlike you retards and your "kino" bullshit

Didn't the movies basically catapult Wolverine to be the flagship mutant to the point he was basically in any and all teams he could be in after the movie.

Correction. WAS a god.

>I was probably about 8 or 9 I think when X3 came out, everyone loved it and everyone, even in amongst children, thought Spiderman 3 was goofy and retarded as fuck.

I had the opposite experience. I was in highschool when i watched both and everyone thought X-men 3 was shit while Spiderman 3 wasn't great but had it's moments.

Kek, this page is hilarious

Light hearted stuff is good sometimes

Yeah, I gotta agree with this. Misery and contrarianism are for Sup Forums. This is a happy, safe board.

>tfw was a literal child and thought emo Peter was fucking hilariously ridiculous
>highschoolers actually liked him

I remember thinking Sandman was cool at least but holy shit.
Teenagers are the worst.

Wow, it's really weird to hear this perspective from someone who just turned 18

I'm 28, so for me the movies for both Spider-Man and X-Men weren't my first introduction, the animated series for both were more like my childhood version and when the movies came out, they were the new thing to be compared to the cartoons and whatever comics I read, but yeah even still our experiences with how people seemed to react to the movies wasn't too different....I remember nobody hating X-3 until I found out on the internet, and I remember everyone hating Spider-Man 3, but as a kid I just remember X-Men seemed a lot cooler to people while Spider-Man (strictly movie wise) was seen as kind of dorky, nobody hated it but X-Men certainly had more of an edge

Hammer didn't make him a god

I feel bad for anyone who look at this image and thinks it has a point. Literal manchildren using a retarded picture as an argument when most things in the picture are clearly wrong.

>I'm 28
why are you still here?

Tale as old as time.

I feel bad for anyone who understands the point of the picture and then claims it doesn't have a point because he was offended by it.

The same could be said about the MCU though, if you were being objective and not a company whore

If DC movies are too dark, MCU movies are too light. Or you could argue there's an audience for both approaches, but if you wanna get to the nitty gritty and be cynical, both have their issues. I've literally never felt a bit of suspense or actual threat while watching an MCU flick, at the same time I know Superman shouldn't be so damn depressing...neither do justice to comics, they do their own thing

Because you're here forever

Idk, why aren't you on grindr or whatever faggots do these days? Sup Forums is for oldfags, not newfags

There's no point, it's a bunch of dumb YouTube comments made into a comic. No one in their sane mind can be critical of Mos and bvs music for example.

Look at this autism.

Look. I don't expect someone that uses that dumb picture as an argument to actually have anything to say. But are you are intentionally trying to sound dumb?

>I've literally never felt a bit of suspense or actual threat while watching an MCU flick

So you knew they would catch war machine before he hit the ground?

>There's no point
>critical of Mos and bvs music

As I said, not liking it because you were offended

That was already spoiled by the trailers.

>I've literally never felt a bit of suspense or actual threat while watching an MCU flick
I don't know if tension and tone are really that related. The DCEU is equally predictable; we knew exactly how BvS was going to end a week before it came out at the absolute latest.

None of these movies are going to end with the bad guy winning so people going "there's no threat!" is just silly.

>So you knew they would catch war machine before he hit the ground?
I knew it would be all okay in the end, because it's a Disney production and these aren't the old days of Disney where they seemed to take joy in making little ones wet their pants/made shit not just for kids

I also knew they wouldn't do something as ballsy as have a hero be killed by another hero, even by mistake

Hell, can you honestly say any time a character has died in any of these movies that it had any impact anyway? It's always just like "oh, ok, that character I felt nothing for died"

It's odd that I keep seeing the people saying "this cartoon character should be dark and serious for adults like me" calling everyone ELSE manchildren.

They put Wolverine in the forefront specifically because he was the most popular prior.

>None of these movies are going to end with the bad guy winning so people going "there's no threat!" is just silly.
You do have a point there realistically, but it's about how you feel in the moment of the scene. Anyone who watches Predator is going to know from the start Arnold is going to win...but by the end of that movie you sure as shit won't feel so sure about it, even if pulled aside and asked to think rationally about it. It's about feeling, and threats in the MCU always feel so non threatening, cause the movies usually don't allow villains to really have scenes or moments where they truly seem like threats, they might have the upper hand here or there but ultimately they're just there for the heroes to clown on, and that's not threatening no matter what they do or who they kill

And tone is important with this stuff too, Iron Man kills a shitload of people in the first movie, but because of the tone of the film it's not really a big deal because the movie doesn't present it as being such...the very same scene could be seen as fucking grimdark if done a different way.

>Hell, can you honestly say any time a character has died in any of these movies that it had any impact anyway? It's always just like "oh, ok, that character I felt nothing for died"
If we answer that honestly how are going going to respond? For me, when Superman died it was just kind of meh. People were already getting up and leaving at that point too. Granted, I didn't really feel that for any Marvel movie either; but I'm sure at least somebody got a little sad at Groot dying or something, and I guess I felt kind of bummed for Steve when he had to crash that jet having never scored.

>Is that really so though? Maybe it is, I haven't looked into numbers and sales too much but I feel like Spider-Man was just always really popular, I mean even before the movies Spider-Man had a shitload more merch than many other comic names just because of the animated series and well, Spider-Man looks cool and is funny, kids like him

Well same can be said for X-men. Jim Lee's iterations were the premiere Superhero team for a whole decade.

Poor quicksilver

>It's about feeling, and threats in the MCU always feel so non threatening, cause the movies usually don't allow villains to really have scenes or moments where they truly seem like threats, they might have the upper hand here or there but ultimately they're just there for the heroes to clown on, and that's not threatening no matter what they do or who they kill
That is fair but subjective. Neither Marvel nor WB has pulled that off for me. Or Sony. And up until Logan neither did Fox.

Because ultimately, nobody is killing important (named) characters. Yeah, Zod's machinations killed like 5000 people, but Lois and Perry and Martha and Clark himself all lived so he might as well have not killed anyone at all.

I agree and applaud you for realizing that the tone makes the perception important; it's that hurdle that people that are fans of the DCEU so often can't wrap their heads around as to why it feels like the heroes aren't very heroic.

You're an okay dude. I'm surprised.

Found the DCfag

I forgot Quicksilver. I did feel something at him dying, but it was mostly anger and disappointment at the waste of potential.

>Why does the MCU rely on quips so much these days?

>these days

Is this the first of the Marvel movies you've seen anything of.

If not, I think you really need to go back and look at some of the others if you think this is a recent development.

And then maybe read some of the 70+ years of their comics...

I didn't really mind the quips in MCU movies until I saw GOTG Vol. 2

Man, things can be done in any number of ways, it's all subjective but I'm not even talking strictly MCU and DC, take The Crow...the film starts with the man's wife being gang raped and then getting thrown out the window.

Even though he basically takes down these assholes with little to no effort till the final boss of the movie, you still feel like these are some really bad dudes and therefor its really gratifying to see him take them out even though he does it with no effort and they're just common street thugs with no powers, and by the closing scene of the movie with the roof top battle the film actually kind of tricks you into thinking the hero might lose because of how bad the main badguy is, but of course he doesn't and the victory is even sweeter

I think both Magnetos, young and old, did a great job at establishing themselves as being guys you don't want to fuck with...like even in First Class where he's only beginning to go full villain, when he kills those German guys at the bar you really feel how dangerous this fucker is, same as when he sends the coin through the head of Kevin Bacon, that's like some heavy shit that when you see it is just like....damn, I get it, he's a bad mother fucker, I'd be scared of him

You don't get the same impression from say Yellowjacket comedically turning a guy into goo, he killed a guy, sure, but it just wasn't a heavy or dark moment, the guy was a psycho....but he was also goofy as hell

On the flipside and yes including DC here, I would say as silly as Gene Hackmans Lex was in Superman, he came off as pretty evil at times despite being REALLY fucking silly, so it's not always that black and white either, the way he so smugly makes Superman fall before him really makes you hate the guy or realize his villainy

There is way more than one way to make you feel like villains are a threat, but MCU flicks don't seem too interested in that at all, which is a weakness IMO, not that they don't do other things right

>You don't get the same impression from say Yellowjacket comedically turning a guy into goo, he killed a guy, sure, but it just wasn't a heavy or dark moment, the guy was a psycho....but he was also goofy as hell
I think I'm gonna disagree with you there. I found him less goofy and more creepy. That casualness of that gooification scene, and when he went after Scott's daughter were good villain moments.

>it's a "Spider-Man crashes a party and ruins it for everyone just so he can fuck with Johnny Storm for no reason" issue
The fact that he's a nerd taking revenge on all the popular kids should be explored more.

>It comes from an embarassment of the source material.
Or perhaps it comes from love of the source material and wanting to handle it in the most dignified, authentic feeling, real world-ishly immersive way possible.
They actually believe in these characters & concepts and believe they deserve to be treated just as seriously as say 2001 treats it's sci-fi.
They aren't judgemental faggots that think superheroes = childish fantasy bullshit.

THESE DAYS?
Witty banter is one of the cornerstones of all superhero movies.

I mean just imagine ANY SPIDER-MAN STORY WITHOUT IT. Well maybe Spiderman Noir.

But really we've have had quips and banter since probably the radio shows, and for SURE since the 60s with Batman.

have you not seen the Justice League trailer?

It's jokes actually work, Thor's YES line destroyed the tone & momentum of the Raganrok trailer.

No one did

But you have it ass-backwards.

Yeah they do. They joke around way too much and more and more. I mean, comics have a sense of humor. But too much can be a bad thing.

Talking to fish, I have no friends, I'm rich.
Whereas Thor and Hulk have been punching each other in the face since they first met, but are still good friends.

>Whats your power?
>*momentary pause*
>I'm rich.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH, GET IT???? BECAUSE HE'S ACTUALLY BRUCE WAYNE.... AND BRUCE WAYNE IS RI-.... Yeah.... heh.

Oh, wait

>*EPIC MUSIC*
>Is she with you?
>I thought she was with you?
>*QUE EPIC MUSIC AGAIN*

Yeah man, DC's quips are so much better. They've actually managed to master the art of quip placement.

Maybe Thor and Hulk have moms with the same name too.

I said JL's quips only. The she with you line didn't work at all.
The JL trailer made it work becuase it flowed the music and footage in and around then jokes, the Thor trailer was capped off by one that wasn't anything like anything that happened previously in the trailer.

>The JL trailer made it work
No, the way Gadot talks makes it awkward and uncomfortable.
>that wasn't anything like anything that happened previously in the trailer.
The whole trailer was upbeat though.

JL trailer, 26m views after a month.
Thor trailer, 34m views after 2 weeks.

>The whole trailer was upbeat though.
No it really wasn't the music choice made it feel epic and surreal with Hela & such. It never felt silly or funny.

Do both channels have the same amount of subscribers?

What does that have to do with anything, I like the Thor trailer more also but that doesn't mean the YES line wasn't a mistake.

I didn't say silly or funny, I said upbeat. All the devastation was treated as something to be hyped about rather than sad over.

It reminded people of stuff like this. Unless you've actually given yourself enough brain damage to forget it.

>It's jokes actually work
they should because they were stolen from better movies

What else is he supposed to do in his free time? Wasting time on Instagram or Facebook isn't any worthier a cause than wasting it here.

>They aren't judgemental faggots that think superheroes = childish fantasy bullshit.
You seem to think that though. The idea that something that's for kids can't be dignified or authentic. What's up with that?

You know who treated the source material with love and respect? The people who made the Arkham games.

>Or perhaps it comes from love of the source material and wanting to handle it in the most dignified, authentic feeling, real world-ishly immersive way possible.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

How many would screech if he said "I'm Batman"?

We all know OP is samefagging

He should've bitch-slapped Barry and told him he's the goddamn Batman. I would've paid for a ticket then.

>You seem to think that though
No that is what I am accusing you fuckers of thinking since you can't accept superheroes who aren't being done in a silly manner you god damn cocksuckers.
>The idea that something that's for kids can't be dignified or authentic
I never said it couldn't Batman tas is a perfect example of doing such, the problem is that making things campy & silly ISN'T doing that.