Based Cameron

Based Cameron

>enter the industry
It's literally impossible unless you have extensive experience or get experience by knowing someone

/ourguys/

twas a different time

>heh you kids...back when I was your age I just quit my job as a truck driver, walked right up to the studio producers, gave them a firm handshake, and became a director

idk where he got his foot in the door but he worked on roger corman films as a set decorator, there is a story of him running an electrical current through a severed arm to make the maggots on it move during I think Forbidden World and that was why Corman learned his name

This is literally George Lucas talking to pan handlers saying they can make a film like star wars from nothing. Someone posted the video yesterday

In the 80s it was more a case of making friends with some producers by sharing the same drug dealer and then asking if you could show them your screenplay

How do I get a job behind the scenes on a film doesn't matter if it's just making coffee or doing inane shit just want to be on a set

Got a bachelors in compsci which is collecting dust

don't tell them you have a degree, they hate that shit, tell them you worked at burger king or were foraging for berries in the wilderness or some shit

Honestly, that kind is what it was like at the time. Right after the USC film school started, the industry opened itself up to a bunch of young kids and the industry kind of turned into a weird free for all where it was really easy to get into production. Lucas and that whole generation of filmmakers opened the industry up. An even more drastic thing happened with the growth of the VHS industry and the independent film boom of the early 90s.

Cameron got his start in effects, then started writing, and used connections to pitch movies he could direct.

I've worked in a supermarket stacking shelves.

How do i even find these vacancies though

>I've worked in a supermarket stacking shelves.
I've been to supermarket and bought things from shelves.
What a small world

I own a supermarket and the shelves, is there some way we could make a kino out of this bizarre coincidence?

The guy worked for free for years. Even directed his blockbusters for free. He gave all his money for titanic back to the studio cause it took too long.

Nothing is impossible for James Cameron.

why can't anything like that happen for streaming services?

I wonder how he feels about Star Wars' reanimated corpse being propped up on display by Disney.

he also saved guillermo de toro's dad from kidnappers

Just when I thought I couldn't dislike stah wahs any more

>During this period he taught himself about special effects: "I'd go down to the USC library and pull any thesis that graduate students had written about optical printing, or front screen projection, or dye transfers, anything that related to film technology. That way I could sit down and read it, and if they'd let me photocopy it, I would. If not, I'd make notes.
Why aren't you doing this right now, Sup Forums?

>He dropped out, and, when he was twenty-three, married a woman who worked as a waitress at a Bob’s Big Boy. For a while, he drove a truck for a local school district. In archetypal terms, this was his period of exile and self-denial, the refusal of the call. “I just became this blue-collar guy,” he said. “But I was constantly thinking as an artist, so I’m painting, drawing, writing, thinking about visual effects and filmmaking.”

>In Brea, Cameron met William Wisher and Randall Frakes, who also wanted to make movies, and who are still his two best friends. Eventually, they raised the money to make a short film, “Xenogenesis,” starring Wisher as a futuristic man in an orange jumpsuit who battles an armored robot with a metal pincer for a hand. It got Cameron a job sculpting models for Roger Corman in L.A.

>Corman’s studio—a training ground for filmmakers like Francis Ford Coppola, Martin Scorsese, and Jonathan Demme—specialized in low-budget genre films. Cameron distinguished himself immediately, and soon he was designing sets. He was focussed—often working through the night—and he was scrappy. “He’d take all these random parts—Winnebago parts, industrial dishwashing racks, Sonotubes, a lot of paint—and turn them into an incredible set,” Paxton, who worked for Corman as a set dresser, recalled. For “Battle Beyond the Stars,” Corman’s takeoff on “Star Wars,” Cameron was asked to design the spaceships. “His sketches were brilliant,” Corman said. “The best of that type of work that I had ever seen.” Each spaceship reflected the character of its pilot, and also Cameron’s instinct for the iconic, literal image; to the mother ship, Nell, he gave a curvaceous shape and a pair of heaving breasts.
You can do it too, Sup Forums!

Doesn't hurt he was a fantastic technical matte painter for backgrounds

Everyone on here is a lazy shitposter. Who are the people doing this? People not stuck posting in this perpetual hellhole.

It kind of did when youtube first started to monetize shit. At the time, lots of channels with enough viewers/subscribers were making enough to be able to quit their real jobs and live off ad revenue. Doug Walker is probably the most well-known example here. That's why so many youtubers have been bitching for the past few years about fair use stuff and algorithms; their pay has been steadily declining.

As for something like people making independent film and being able to sell them to Netflix, that kind of does happen. It's just not very common and also relies a lot of connections. The prestige of something like that isn't very high, though, because it's still a streaming VOD service. For example, say you go balls out and make something like Clerks, then start showing it at festivals; twenty years ago, a major studio would have bought the distribution rights and put it in theaters, then you would have directed a "real" movie. Now, Netflix might pick up the distribution, but people will give a lot less of a shit, because you only directed a Netflix original.

why aren't YOU doing that tripfaggot

James Cameron decided to quit his job as a director to enter the shipping industry after watching the new star wars

Yes but the main moral of the story is to just go outside now and then.
why reply to a tripfag?

Too busy building a fake reputation on a mongolian scrimshawing board

>why reply to a tripfag?

People like freddiew still make trash after all tgese years and look at fucking space cop.

Kung fury is probably the only success from true modern indie makers that aren't funded by daddys jewish friend