The Best of Wonder Woman

Part 17 - Ends of the Earth (Gail Simone)

youtube.com/watch?v=XKJbjl9LcXo

Not caught up to the thread? No worries! Each of these stories, with a few exceptions, is relatively self-contained. Though obviously the more you've read, the more you'll like it.
You can start with any writer you want.

Part 1 - Gods and Mortals (George Perez)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91303244/
Part 2 - Challenge of the Gods I-II (George Perez)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91309099/
Part 3 - Challenge of the Gods III (George Perez)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91350699/
Part 4 - "Taco Whiz" (Bill Messner-Loebs)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91378988/
Part 5 - The Contest (pre-Crisis)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91415540/
Part 6 - The Contest (Bill Messner-Loebs)
Part 7 - The Challenge of Artemis (Bill Messner-Loebs)
Part 8 - Paradise Lost + 1988 Bonus Books (Phil Jimenez)
Part 9 - Paradise Found + Girl Frenzy: Donna Troy (Phil Jimenez)
Part 10 - A League of One + The Golden Perfect (Christopher Moeller, Joe Kelly)
Part 11 - The Hiketeia (Greg Rucka)
Part 12 - Stoned (Greg Rucka)
Part 13 - Land of the Dead (Greg Rucka)
Part 14 - Manhunter: Unleashed (Mark Andreyko)
Part 15 - Marathon (Greg Rucka)
Part 16 - The Circle (Gail Simone)

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/sh/rwqrasp45cfsxu9/AACi5mhCeheYFvp-L9juE0t5a?dl=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

dropbox.com/sh/rwqrasp45cfsxu9/AACi5mhCeheYFvp-L9juE0t5a?dl=0

We get a bit of lampshading of Amazons Attack's BEES.

Picoult's run clashed so horribly with Amazons Attack. It was like this almost romantic comedy type of thing while AA was this awful edgy bullshit fest.

This courting ritual was detailed in Perez's run IIRC. Or at least somewhere before this. Simone doing her research.

I also commend Simone for not just throwing all of the plot threads from the previous run in the garbage. Whether it's because she liked that run or didn't want to take a dump on something that was fairly highly praised at the time, I don't know.

What did she mean by this?

I can remember back at the time how much praise Who is Wonder Woman, Picoult's run, and Pfeifer's one-shot Gimme Shelter got, and years later I was excited to finally read them. And then Who is Wonder Woman and Gimme Shelter were complete ass.

Back in the early issues of Perez's run, during the forced Invasion crossover Diana accidentally some Khunds, and it's pretty odd that a mandatory crossover issue would have some important character moments like that.

Tom Tresser was such a weird romantic interest. I mean, Nemesis? But i like his characterization. He was kinda like a nicer Batman.

Personally I'm not a fan of him at all, but I think the choice was meant to be a replacement for Steve who was close to Steve's characterization in the 70's TV show.

Because Steve was made kind of, well, old post-Crisis.

That will aways fire my noggins.

>a woman's amusements are sometimes inexplicable
Lol.

Also I think I kind of like the element Gail introduced of Diana somewhat enjoying combat on some level. It makes her a little more deep and helps make sense of her... more OOC moments in other comics.

>and helps make sense of her... more OOC moments in other comics.

Come on, Texas. Don't go start making me hate you.

Whaddya mean, fella?

Nothing can excuse Betty Bonkers Diana.

It doesn't excuse it, just makes it a bit easier to stomach.

By this point in her history Wonder Woman's shitty portrayals in other peoples' comics had become a bit of a problem, I just think this was Simone trying to address that, especially since back then continuity between all the titles in a universe was considered pretty important.

Still the writers of those bad versions are still totally at fault and will be first against the wall when the Wonder Woman revolution occurs.

Cats don't seem to understand that shredding my legs with their claws is not a sign of affection.

>hive of warrior bees
Gail is being cheeky.

Some folks think the things the Khunds are saying would be appropriate coming out of Diana's mouth, sadly.

Well, if we're talking about the main line comics i don't think she suffered that much from bad writing. The only bad thing really was the whole Max Lord shenanigan. The ones to really suffer where the other amazons with Lyta being a huge cunt and things like Amazons Attack.

In terms of Di characterization New 52 was a lot worse in that regard.

That's what I was meaning to say. Outside of her own comic you had a lot of writers who clearly never read her comics and were drawing from things they had read like Kingdom Come instead.

>conversion by Wildstorm

newfag here, was this a scanning group?

>Kingdom Come

Goddamn, this will always be a blight for the character.

Yeah, I believe it refers to ripping the digital versions to CBR format.

I find it kind of disgusting when scanner groups feel the need to stamp their names all over the creative works of others, but they do at least provide a valuable service.

>Outside of her own comic you had a lot of writers who clearly never read her comics and were drawing from things they had read like Kingdom Come instead.

Which comics? You mean Elseworlds or things from main line like Justice League of America also?

Stuff at the time like Justice League of America, yes. Specifically I mean crossovers and events. She'll usually show up and do nothing, or she'll show up with a sword so they can have scenes of her fighting things. Rarely are her actual skills used.

An opposite example is Kelly's JLA, where her abilities of diplomacy and especially her lasso were always important to the team.

>Khund's honor people by sending people to beat their asses
>Diana has Khund fangirls

I can't think of a lot of specific examples outside events like Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis, but pretty much every long-running series from the 00's would eventually have a Wondie cameo issue, just like with Batman and Superman, and most of the time it would range from lame to awful.

Whenever i see Hephasteus' magical sword that can split atoms being referenced i froth at the mouth.

The main problem is the whole "trinity" concept. Whenever the trinity show up in a cross-over or event they tried to show WW as the bad cop, since Superman's already playing the good cop. In case you're wondering Batman usually play the role of the police chief that bark orders.

Just a cursory look in my library of things that had bad Wondie crossovers or appearances: Waid's Flash, Winick's Green Arrow, Johns' Booster Gold, Justice League of America, Pfiefer's Catwoman, Johns' Action Comics, Countdown, and most famously All-Star Batman and Robin.

Very good observation.

>Justice League of America

Meltzer or McDuffie?

Meltzer actually strangely enough did a decent job. McDuffie and Burnett's stuff is what I mean. Wonder Woman notably had some bad characterization in the JLU cartoon, but McDuffie usually wrote her pretty well, so I'm disappointed in his JLA run, but that had a lot more problems than Wondie.

Also McDuffie wrote perhaps JLU's single best depiction of Diana in the episode Ultimatum, where ironically she was basically a supporting character.

It was so good that when I was watching it I thought "this must be one of those ones by Simone", but then I looked it up and it was McDuffie.

JM Dematteis, as much as I love the guy, just cannot write Wonder Woman.

This line reminds me of a shitty line from Picoult's run where Diana says she believes in morality and she fights on the side of good, and Circe "gets" her by saying some edgy shit about the definition of good changing over time, and Diana just stands there dumbfounded.

>McDuffie

Yeah. His JLoA run was a pretty big disappointment. Specially thanks to all the hype from his good material from the JL/JLU.

Good doesn't change, you dumbo. What's accepted by society does, laws do, but at the end of the day, "good" means peace and fairness, which is what Wonder Woman is all about.

Most embarrassingly Circe says something like "in this country it was once considered good to own men as slaves!". Like no it fucking wasn't, it was just legal. Even slaveowners just felt it was justified, not "good", though I guess some told themselves it was OK because the slaves got some kind of job security or something out of it.

Wait till you see the other covers in this run.

I found his take on her in JL3000/JL3001 a self-aware parody of her terrible characterization, even if it indulge in it.

But yeah in everything else he wrote her as this blase girl with the bitch face that drive all the other women crazy for being popular or because of her closeness to Superman. Or everyone else because of her perpetual stick up the ass.

That's definitely what I got from 3000, or at least was supposed to be an extreme exaggeration.

I did like in that early JLI crossover when Beetle was hitting on her, she didn't go "UGH men amirite ladies" like a lot of writers would do, she actually thanked him for the compliments.

And Fire was getting all pissed and jealous about that.

Christ, I love JLI.

There can be some meta-commentary in this thread about this fangirl who seems to only know Diana as the great destroyer through MTV and war stories

Hey Tex, I'd just like to say thanks; these storytimes are often the only legit thing on Sup Forums, and probably the only reason I'm still on here.

Good point, wasn't even thinking of that.

Who even had USED Nemesis in years?

Thanks, that means a lot. I love the discussion in here.

wow. I never thought I'd see a wonder woman in space/Green Lantern crossover.
Its surprisingly awesome. We need more earth-based heros taking a tour around the cosmos with a GL

Hey Tex.

Been meaning to ask, what are your thoughts on Amazons being drawn with muscles? Yay or nay?

Kho is cute. CUTE!

Check out the beginning of Bill Messner-Loeb's run, no GLs but Diana becomes a straight-up space pirate.

HA! Space-Pirate Woman, that sounds amazing

I like them to be varied. Like Io in Rucka's run is buff af. Obviously no Amazons are gonna be doughy, but some should be skinny, some should be relatively THICC, etc. Makes them more like people.

As for Diana, I like how she is in this run, and of course Perez. She's fit and toned but not to bodybuilder or UFC fighter levels. She's meant to be kind of the ideal of traditional feminine beauty, in the same way I think Superman is supposed to be kind of the perfect beefcake.

Making her too muscular is, to me, kind of like making Superman ottermode or like Dick Grayson/Hal Jordan.

Like, Cho's art? Love it. But it's too much for Diana.

This is just me and obviously it's something that everyone has a different idea of, both hardcore Wondie fans and non-fans.

I love personalized Lantern costumes.

Uniforms make more sense, I guess, though.

Imagine how many new readers we'd get if this was the OP image.

I remember a long, long, LONG time ago someone storytimed this issue and I really loved it.

I think that was even before the New 52, or possibly right after it.

There's an old joke among Wonder Woman fans that Diana just forgot she had a lasso throughout all of Amazons Attack, because if she had just used it on Hippolyta at the start, the whole plot would have been averted.

I find Simone to be really good at mixing action with peaceful approaches with Diana. Probably why she's also really good with Hawk and Dove.

;_; doggos

I actually dig Cho's look for Diana because he actually has a good grasp of how muscles work and look when on curvier women, and when he draws them exerting themselves you can see him illustrating physical strain in the arms, legs, and back muscules.
Hell, he's one of the only artists that even remembers women HAVE back muscles it seems like.

YES!

Diana + classic heroes is so good

Where or When is Diana right now?

Cho is an amazing artist. I'm still confused on why Sup Forums never bothered with Totally Awesome Hulk when we're all so high on Cho all the time.

Oh, this is that thread that Simone continued in Secret Six

It shall be explained soon.

The question must be, is Grendel based on the original legend, or the Novel from his PoV?

Uhhh, this is the real WildStorm who did these conversions to digital format, as in the ex-Image DC imprint, not some sort of shitty scanning group

Wow, that's like....CLASSIC Beowulf too, back from the late 70's I think it was.
"Abanan afo Beowulf", Beowulf.

Yes, which we will also see later in the BOP crossover arc.

Oh, seriously? Didn't know that, thank you.

Anyone else getting a Skartaris vibe here?

This is probably me pulling bullshit out of my ass, but I think that's part of why the sword and shield are starting to overshadow the lasso. The Lasso is meant to be a non-lethal weapon, fitting for a warrior-diplomat. But that doesn't quite fit with the Xena knockoff shit that hack writers want, so she uses her signature items less and less because they're not "badass" enough.

100% correct. I wish in Injustice she was more a "grappler" character (I think that's what it's called?) that used the lasso instead of shield banging like she's out of 300.

Etta makes me so goddamn happy in this run.

>Anyone else getting a Skartaris vibe here?

You should, because there's a correlation.
DC's Beowulf was one of it's answers to Marvel's then-ridiculously successful Conan the Barbarian series (one of the best comic books ever imho). DC tried several, including Claw the Unconquered and Beowulf, but eventually Mike Grell's Warlord series took off and was the most successful out of all of them.

Good post, I've never gotten too into the DC Sword and Sorcery stuff but I do love Marvel's Conan.

>mindbreak
As usual, we can't escape the /d/

>Diana in a snappy business suit
sweating man.jpg

That is good to hear. I always thought it odd that "wildstorm" would be on some of these issues, but I guess that makes sense if they were being outsourced to digitize books

>But that doesn't quite fit with the Xena knockoff shit that hack writers want, so she uses her signature items less and less because they're not "badass" enough.

Part of the problem is that if she flies and punches people only then aside from the lasso she's visually just Superman but with even LESS power options, so in a fighting game giving her others makes a bit of sense.
Making her a Grappler would be cool, but the Netherrealm Studios Mortal Kombat engine mechanics are fucking horseshit for it; the entire gameplay relies on chaining together fast-paced staggered combos and specials.

I think you'd like Warlord.

I remember reading that Malibu was originally theorized to have been bought by Marvel solely for their coloring department. Maybe this is somewhat similar but obviously DC also valued their IPs.

No joke, bought the hardcover collection when I found it at a comic shop last time I was in NYC. It's just been on my shelf since then.

Also I'm a massive, massive fan of Simonson Thor

Real talk, I think that the Skartaris arc of Secret Six is my least favourite (because I lack the knowledge of the setting), but it does have some good costume changes. Sword and Sandals stuff just is not for me

I haven't read the original Beowulf OR Grendel since high school. But I loved it so much back then that I bought a copy of the complete Beowulf text because our schoolbook only contained like maybe 20% of it.

I even got hyped for that shitty movie!