What Was Their Problem?

In "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory," why did Charlie's grandparents all sleep in one bed, and most concerning, why did they never appear to get up from it? What kinds of medical problems could they have had, that disabled them (Apart from Grandpa Joe, conveniently, after receiving news of the Golden Ticket) from walking around? Were they paralyzed, severely malnourished, with atrophied muscles, or were they mostly faking it out of laziness? Charlie's parents did go out and have jobs, however, despite the grandparents all hanging together on bed, constantly. I wonder what they did for maintaining hygiene, and if they were sometimes assisted in order to use the bathroom, or if they were in the habit of making their way across that little house, sometimes, for stuff, such as meals?

they just wanted to be comfy

It's implied that twenty or such number of years before the events of the movie, they were still active. I wonder what stopped them?

Grandpa Joe was definitely able to get up, because of that Golden Ticket; he could have been capable of getting up before that, too.

Why did Charlie never do anything with that other grandpa?

For some reason, he looks like he was maybe a bit worse off. That grandpa didn't get up at any point in the film, or even try.

When I saw this as a kid I always thought being in a big bed with your family in the middle of the living room and never getting up would comfy as fuck

No room for introversion, there, unless everyone else was asleep, but yes, pretty comfy, I have to admit.

It's commentary on the lethargy of the lower classes.

welfare

whats it commenting?

I always found the 4 person bed comfy, especially in the sequel where it flies around and they never leave it

They fake disability for welfare checks.

This is what old people did back in the day. You soyboys and underages wouldnt know.

They lived hard fuckin lives so once they got old they said fuck it and chilled all day and their family was cool with it cuz they knew they been through hard shit like world wars and great depressions

>sequel
good one m80

glass elevator fucko

>why did Charlie's grandparents all sleep in one bed

To share warmth because they were poor and super old.

Because Grandpa Joe was the cool grandpa.

did Charlie sleep with his mom to conserve heat?

They were lazy white niggers collecting welfare, but masking their laziness with a wholesome veneer.

Old people should be put down after their 50's

So, it was a generally agreed-upon practice to have older people (even as young as their fifties?) put to bed and never/rarely get up? What time period was that custom practiced? I don't recall that.

ok u first

Did they ever do it in the sheets?

They merged years ago in the same super-organism

No, but people in colonial times would practice mid-sleep.
>sleep from 5-10
>get up and visit neighbors or do hobbies from 10-2
>back to bed from 2-6

seems comfy

Maybe, but a kid sleeping with parents (Charlie's father was still alive, but hard at work in the factory, most often) isn't really unusual, at an earlier age. It only starts to become weird past early-middle childhood, depending on social-economic lifestyles.

Imagine if they all farted at the same time. That blanket would become a hot box of fart stench.

I'm 36 and I still sleep in my momma's bed.

This actually made me very uncomfortable. The thought of staying in bed all day long just made me feel like shit. It was disgusting to me on the level of gummo.

That's because you're a subhuman nigger and she needs some sort of male in her bed since your father definitely isn't around.

Makes sense. You can learn new things very quickly if you take regular naps.

My momma has several boyfriends and friends that come over and spend the night but I still stay in the bed. My dad was in prison the last time I heard but I never really met him. I'm actually 1/36th white on my momma's side and she doesn't stay in bed all day like white people she gotta work

they represent welfare niggers
in the original manuscript they were black
nut people complained on 1800's tumblr and it was changed

It looks demotivating to me too. They look like very lazy people, aren't most old people able to get up and do normal things, anyhow?

Because whimsy

They had a wrinkly foursome everyday