How does the penance stare work?

How does the penance stare work?

>punisher I punish you
poetry

Inconsistently

Usually by using guilt, thats why it doesnt work on insane or people like frank.

It's supposed to work by basically forcing someone to experience all the pain they've ever inflicted on someone else.

For some reason a few retard writers make guilt/regret a requirement, which would completely defeat the point of the Penance Stare since it wouldn't be as effective.

It's been shown to not work on the insane, like Deadpool.

Not like that.

"Shown" by bad writers.

It works on fucking demon lords. There's no plausible way it doesn't work on some mortal.

Holy water burns demons, why doesn't it hurt mortals? It's just not plausible.

Supposed to make you feel all the pain you caused. Normal person should suffer a heavy guilt trip and Hitler would probably have been permanently catatonic.

Your page is "BP twists SS arm" level of job.

Frank may be my all-time favorite capeshit hero, but it's bullshit that the stare wouldn't work on him. It's as though he's just randomly immune to Spider-Sense because he acts with righteous purpose or some nonsense.

Hell, part of Blackheart's whole original shtick is that he's immune to it.

Holy water burns the pure evil and demonic, which humans generally aren't. The Penance Stare only goes off of whatever pain the target has done to someone else. Good, evil, regret, none of that has any impact on it except when some dipshit writer tries to make their OC or favorite hero more badass because reasons.

Wait, hold on... can we just pretend this is an aftereffect of Frank's terrible Angel days and he just doesn't know (or doesn't want to talk about) why he's immune to it?

>Hitler would probably have been permanently catatonic
why, it's not like he ever held a gun after WWI. would every single President during a war become catatonic too?

But Hitler did nothing wrong

That's a fair question. How deep does the causality work? I have never directly hurt anyone, but I cause a lot of indirect suffering by using oil products, red meat, and shit like that. Would penance stare hurt me? And does this work on the infinite future generations, whose lives I have indirectly made worse by not offing myself at the first available opportunity?

If we follow the web of cause and effect all the way, every human that lives has caused (will cause) infinite events to happen, including infinite events that cause suffering. Shouldn't penance stare vaporize everybody?

If there's two Ghost Riders and they both penance stare each other simultaneously, does it cause an infinite loop?

not just that but what about the intent. like Truman fucking gave the order to vaporize Japan with nukes, but the intent was to finally end WWII and prevent many more lives being lost. does Truman take the blame? what about congress for approving the war? what about the scientists who developed the nuke? what about the men on the plane that dropped the nuke?

i keep going back to WWII because you mentioned Hitler but you could do this with anything

I remember in Moon Knight him being an avatar of war, death or vengance or something like that. I think Konshu was smack talking Marc saying how much he sucked compared to Punisher in being a representative.

Also, Punisher has a history of tanking magic shit like that.

He's the Spirit of Vengeance, not the Spirit of Acceptable Morality. Y'all getting Penanced and you can take it up with God.

I assumed it's because he's crazy. Like the stare wouldn't work on The Joker either, because they're both too insane to feel guilt over their actions.

If there ever was another Spirit of Vengeance we'd have a lot more things to worry about

I'm not that familiar with the various Ghost Riders, but isn't is plausible that whatever Vengance power that fuels him also accepts Frank as one of his own?

That also raises the question. Can Ghost rider pennance stare himself? And if so, does the other pennance stares he's given count as him hurting people?

Or Frank Castle with ghost rider powers....

You mean pottery.

Top kek

>I'm not that familiar with the various Ghost Riders, but isn't is plausible that whatever Vengance power that fuels him also accepts Frank as one of his own?
No.

It worked on Madcap, but he always struck me more as someone who was acting insane rather than someone who was legitimately insane.

I mean, this is a Thunderbolts special that revolved around Dr. Strange going nuts in his underwear, so I wouldn't take it as hard canon guys

And yet he was trashed by the almighty venom vlast.

Miles Morales>>>>>Ghost Rider

>being an avatar of war, death or vengeance or something like that
I always forget that Punisher: Born is canon.

Yet again wondering why Frank has never been a Ghost Rider.

It wasn't even him, just an evil fairy king impersonating him.

because people like making Frank a Mary Sue, but writers still have at least enough sense to not go that far

Real damn shame, scene would have worked better if it effected Frank and he was writhing in agony but was still glad to know he'd done good work on all the scum he wasn't sure he gave the proper hurt on.

Just as edgy, but without making Frank seem like he's above anything. It's like killing a murderer knowing it may condemn you to hell, but at least you know you made sure they got there before they found a way to cheat their due through absolution or something. That sort of warped justice from spite is more what I'd expect from Castle.

>the Penance Stare works by using guilt

That's dumb as hell and makes no sense. Would it not work on serial killers either?

>Would it not work on serial killers either?

Sometimes.

However the current writer wants it to work

It was Olivier, the fallen Angel turned Hell-Lord.

Shhh.

Goddamn this book was so good between the first and last arcs.

depends on the writer

Fucken kekkle

This is some next level jobing, Jesus Christ