"I said to Rian, ‘Jedi’s don’t give up.’ I mean, even if he had a problem...

>"I said to Rian, ‘Jedi’s don’t give up.’ I mean, even if he had a problem, he would maybe take a year to try and regroup. But if he made a mistake, he would try and right that wrong. So, right there we had a fundamental difference, but it’s not my story anymore. It’s somebody else’s story – and Rian needed me to be a certain way to make the ending effective... That’s the crux of my problem. Luke would never say that. I’m sorry. Well, in this version... See, I’m talking about the George Lucas STAR WARS. This is the next generation of STAR WARS, so I almost had to think of Luke as another character. Maybe he’s Jake Skywalker. He’s not my Luke Skywalker, but I had to do what Rian wanted me to do because it serves the story well. I still haven’t accepted it completely. But it’s only a movie. I hope people like it. I hope they don’t get upset, and I came to really believe that Rian was the exact man that they need for this job."

Poor guy.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tJQggH7S7wc
youtube.com/watch?v=IiGfLvpdWgU
youtube.com/watch?v=hFB16GCocfw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Jedi’s don’t give up
>Yoda gives up and hides in a swamp for 20 years

Out of all the folks whining about TLJ, Mike is the only guy that I actually feel bad for.

Hopefully everyone's view of Luke's role in the story is redeemed once he inevitably appears as a Force ghost in IX

"It's Jake Skywalker" works for me.

not really rians fault, JJ Abrams was the dumbass who decided to leave luke on a deserted planet like a hermit for 20 years. what like he was supposed to take "ok, guess i better end my 20 year holiday, im still a hero!!"

Yoda and Obi-Wan we’re preparing for Luke.

Except he didn't give up? He was in hiding , hoping he could train Luke and Leia because he obviously wasn't capable of defeating Darth Vader or the Empire

>Old Snake starts playing

That is true, but the Luke in TLJ would not have given his location to Lor San Tekka. That’s yet another unaddressed plot point.

its not your fault

Goddamn this is tragic. The way he’s having to convince himself that it’s alright for Rian to destroy his character makes it so much sadder.

>Mike

>Jedi’s

Jedi is already plural.

Yoda didn't give up. He knew he was outnumbered and needed to stay alive in order to help train either Luke or Leia. If Yoda had given up he wouldn't have tested Luke to see if he was ready to be a Jedi and he wouldn't have trained Luke.

>"I said to Rian, ‘Jedi’s don’t give up
Ben Kenobi gave up

It’s ten years tops. Kylo is ~18 when he goes columbine, is maybe 30 now.

there were hundreds of fan theories handled better than the character assassination Rian did.

I would still be fine if he failed with his Jedi Academy project and retired, but the way they handled it was so awful and contrived. Entire trilogy resting on the fact that Kylo Ren opened his eyes a second earlier

I'm sorry, Mark, but every time you bring up the OT you have to include the prequels there and all the stupid baggage they bring to the table. You don't get to pick and choose yoir best moments.

Holy fuck Hamill STFU

Mark. I just got up from bed, okay? Still half-asleep

>Mike is the only guy that I actually feel bad for.
You mean Mark? What could you possibly feel sorry about? He was fishing cigarette butts out of trashcans before they let him be in star wars again. This probably let him live decently at least for a few years. He's also seen more work as the Joker in the past decade than he saw since Ep. 6.

>entire trilogy resting on the fact that Kylo Ren opened his eyes a second earlier

This...The prequels showed a good job, of the arrogance and stagnation of the Jedi order, Sheevs charisma and masterful, and Anakin slowly descending into madness in episode II and III.

This was like...oh I was skulking in my nephews bedroom then I was sweating all over his bedsheets and he saw me.

Awful

um sweetie how else was he going to copy paste obi wan from a new hope

It's not, people are just morons who can't add 2+2 together.
I've been saying the same thing about it being a map to the first Jedi temple rather than specifically to Skywalker, been called out on "mental gymnastics", lol.

How did people not remember this?

Abrams' plan was for Luke to be studying the ancient Jedi texts to find out who Snoke was and how to defeat him. That's why he left a map should the galaxy need him before he was done with the investigation.

He'd be desilusioned with the Jedi, but not just "waiting for death" in Ahch-To.

But...the prequels change nothing of Luke’s character?

> they let him be in star wars again
> they let him

Fuck off you fucking souless corporate shill. His character was the biggest advertisement ever for TLJ.
Then they fucking ruin him and kill him to prop up their own shitty badly written characters

Obi-Wan Kenobi was protecting Luke on Tatooine until he could be trained in the Force

>character development isn't a thing

Ok mark

I dont remember much of TFA desu

But Luke went through character regression.

OT was Luke’s character development.

yeah, it was not handled great. I like the idea that
> Entire trilogy resting on the fact that Kylo Ren opened his eyes a second earlier,
big things sometimes hinge on little moments, fate etc.

There were 2 approaches that would've made sense after Kylo burnt down the academy, 1 is Luke chases him down to end him/ try turn him and 2 is that luke is completely shattered for losing his best friend/sister's son gives up, and exiles himself until..... until what? If that didn't make him want to fight on, then what will?

Honestly fuck TFA and JJ for turning star wars into some fucking Netflix mystery show where we have to tune in every 2 years to find out what answers and twists are in store!

>people only ever get better! losing faith or becoming jaded simply doesn't happen!

based disneybro

Hammil was living pretty comfortably between con appearances, voice work and occasional movie/TV gigs like KINGSMAN and THE FLASH.

youtube.com/watch?v=tJQggH7S7wc

youtube.com/watch?v=IiGfLvpdWgU

what we got was much more interesting than any cliche fan theory
oh he's gone to find the ANCIENT TEXTS to defeat the EMPEROR i mean SUPREME LEADER

He could have got by just fine going from con to con until he died without the Disney trilogy. Then there are the hundreds of voice work jobs he has done in the last 20 years. Its not like Joker and Luke are his only two gigs. Its not like he hit TRUE rock bottom. Maybe he had some obstacles here and there, but he was obviously still suited to be a husband, father, and competent professional.

anyone watch twin peaks the return? Not saying this is as good, but the reaction from fans re expectations is similar. Except with, you know, star wars fanboys

This Luke is Disney version of how WB/Snyder treated Superman. They don't let the characters decide their stories. They have to act what the writers write them to do.

>take optimistic character
>make them a defeated millennial nihilistic wetdream
>DUDE CHARACTER PROGRESSION LMAO

Rian is a hack. No one was asking Luke to be a perfect teacher, but ruining everything that was built up during the OT just for LE EBIN SUBVERSION XD is retarded.

The worst part is when he shut himself off from the force, a true Jedi would never do such a thing as the force is not a thing you can just shut urself off from

No actually it wasn't.
It was common sense to why he's on a deserted Island but it didn't fit into anything we see in TFA so people didn't expect it obviously.

And it was handled horribly, everything from his looking like some pedophile, the gags they made him do, his useless training, and his "redemption" which felt like less spectacular less timely version than what Laura Dern did

What we got was a pile of shit. Rian (can't even spell his name correctly) is a terrible writer. There's numerous directions they could have gone in that would have been better and been consistent

>between con appearances
That's nobody's dream job. Actors do cons out of necessity, not because they prefer them to actual paid work.

Obi-Wan gave up on the jedi way, he never intended to teach Luke in the hopes of overthrowing the empire. He was there just to watch over luke in case anything happened, as a favor to padme.

He taught and brought Luke when Leia called for his help to alderan.

Money is money. Cons often pay more than actual acting.

Plus Mark seems to enjoy hanging out with the fans.

the difference is that TP: The return is unironically pleb filter whereas TLJ is unironically garbage

inb4 horde of KOTOR 2 fags real to this post

Kevin Flynn in Tron Legacy was more of a Luke Skywalker character than Luke Skywalker in TLJ.

Saved

People were shocked when i gave this film 2/10 but this sums it up pretty well

>Money is money.
Yes, and Star Wars money beats chicago comic con money every day. I don't even see the point here.

>dedicates his life to watching over the son of his apprentice and best friend in hopes of giving him his father's lightsaber when he's old enough
>a new hope if you will
>"Ben Kenobi gave up"
Why are there so many women on this board now? Did you even watch the movie?

>your father wanted you to have this once you were old enough, but your uncle wouldnt allow it

>>dedicates his life to watching over the son of his apprentice and best friend in hopes of giving him his father's lightsaber when he's old enough
His remaining life was in hiding, he didn't watch over luke 24/7. Luke in fact had to seek him out.

youtube.com/watch?v=hFB16GCocfw

Obi-Wan had every intention to train Luke. Uncle Owen wouldn't allow though.

>Yes, and Star Wars money beats chicago comic con money every day.

You'd be surprised.

Yep, his father. Obi wan had no intention to give him a lightsaber.

You will see that Ben said that to him only after hearing the distress call from Leia.

His father didn't say shit, and Obi took the saber to give to Anakin's child.

When did Yoda leave? Did they ever address that?

Punished Luke.
Dont worry, Mark. Ill say what you cant- Im not beholden to the industry for my livelihood.
Rian is an immense new male faggot. That fat cunt at lucasfilm gave him directives to destroy the character(s) from the original franchise, which he did gleefully. Rian also removed the magic from the series that made star wars unique. (Right vs Wrong, friends before self, hard work and training lead to improvement and balance, strong men, reverance toward the religious order that had been brutally hunted and exterminated, white people...)
Luke was a white male, and, had to be made an example. So luke was written to fail so utterly as to be unbelievable to anyone that is familiar with, or enjoyed the original trilogy.
Disney's directive.
Its just unfortunate you agreed to participate. Better if you had just refused and moved on.
This isnt my Star Wars. Liberal faggots, and, dumb cunts shitting all over characters and stories to fulfill 'muh narrative'.
Dont get me wrong, I know you're liberal in your own right. I dont agree with your politics- but I also know first hand that you are a very kind and gentle man. And that is worth something in my book.
You are very familiar with Luke as a character- you've portrayed him for 40 years. You know that this is utter, contemptable bullshit. So do the fans of the original story.
Your character deseeved better. So do you.

>His remaining life was in hiding
Yes, on Tatooine, watching over Luke.
>he didn't watch over luke 24/7
They clearly had some sort of relationship that Owen was unhappy with. Are you forgetting that Ben is a master Jedi? He doesn't have to physically watch Luke to keep him out of trouble.
>Luke in fact had to seek him out.
If be "seek him out" you mean "go to his house" on a hunch that Obi Wan=Old Ben.

Lol, saved. I almost thought you were serious for a second but you definitely got a little too ridiculous near the middle. Reel it in a bit next time and people might actually think that you believe what you're saying.

>The way he’s having to convince himself that it’s alright for Rian to destroy his character makes it so much sadder.
He's not convincing anyone, he's speaking his mind and then saying what Disney pays him to say, absolutely based.

because legit the next line is
"A MAP TO SKYWALKER"
and then C3PO says that the map is incomplete so they cannot get to Luke
its mainly a dialogue flaw

No, his opinion and insight is needed as TLJ train is already coming off the rails. The bigger the train wreck the better at this point.

so punished luke was part of the trump curse this whole time

The fake spoilers from before TFA were better.
Luke being too powerful and not able to control the Force and going in hiding to protect people from himelf and his instable powers is looking good to me right now compared to what we got aka a tantrum throwing milkies drinking creepy manchild who watches his nephew sleep while stoking his lightsaber.
At least Jake Skywalker died like he lived: watching 2 giant fireballs teabag him in the face.

Luke knew who he was. He already knew "old Ben kenobi". So he had contact with him before. Not to mention obi-wan could mostake likely sense luke and was technically watching 24/7 simply by sensing his force presence.

>contrarian faggot
It isnt believable: after luke's journey in the original trilogy, the character would have simply made different choices in the scenarios concocted by disney fucks, and numale faggits JewJew and Riane.

>nihilism is now a generation thing
Kys

Agreed. Rian is a fucking faggot.

Are you sure? Because I remember Rians posting on twitter how JJ's team had no mapped story beyond TFA

Its not a job, you dumb fuck. The guy gets to pick and choose work as he prefers. He actually enjoys attending cons and fraternizing with fans.

In ROTS Yoda speaks about going into hiding after his battle with Sheev.

Saved. Summarized succinctly.

>so I almost had to think of Luke as another character. Maybe he’s Jake Skywalker

#NotMyLuke

he said millennial nihilism which don't believe in getting up and fighting back.

Jew Jews mystery box strikes yet again.

Self imposed exile because he couldn't believe the sith leader was right under his nose for years and he didn't notice

Luke goes find First Jedi Temple
Finds an Indiana Jones-type trap that detect his short Dark Side use in RotJ and he's trapped in the temple, unnable to get out and cut off from the Force.
Find ways to survive until Rey comes along. She never went DS so she can free Luke from the temple.

Idk, but that would have worked for me. Sort of a nod to the carbonite Han thing.

KYS faggot
Add Hammil to the list!

Why do you think people like Mark Hammill so much? He understands the character he played has had a massive and lasting effect on popular culture. He actually embraces it. He deals with cringy fans because he knows how important it is to them, as opposed to guys like Harrison Ford who never wanted to talk about it.
Theres a big difference between milking it for money and enjoying the character with the fans. This entire shit with Luke's arc in TLJ proves he loves the character too.

That is correct. The team did not plan out the trilogy before they started production / filming of TFA. The amount of hubris interlaced within this process is palpable. J.J.'s mystery box approach toward film making isn't going to help with picking up the pieces of Rian's approach.

>The story is shit because I had to write it all myself
Could have called JJ to talk about that if the really wanted to

unbelievable so basically the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing.
Still ask man ask to see if you were doing everything correctly. If Mark Hamill the actor is saying the character is completely different maybe take that shit into advisement

>Its not a job, you dumb fuck.
>acting in a movie is not a job
You clearly can't read, don't bother replying anymore.

Holy fuck you know nothing about the entertainment industry, please shut the fuck up and go back to red.dit

We need a name for actors like this.

They thought Rian would be intelligent enough to see all the character threads set up in TFA and follow on them and that if he had trouble he would try to contact them about it.
They were wrong.

deep-cover character actors.

>Could have called JJ to talk about that if the really wanted to

>implying Jew Jew knew any answer to the questions he set up
I guess you never watched Lost?

>successful actor gives zero shits.
>one hit wonders character turned voice actor becomes obsessed.
yes he truely is great.

>Why do you think people like Mark Hammill so much?
I don't understand the question.

You have to go back.

Shown in a scene deleted from 3