The Infamous Iron Man

I really love the idea of Dr. Doom essentially winning, realizing it's not what he thought it was and becoming a hero. I like that, for once, we really have what feels like a real *ending* for a comic, and a complete arc for a character, with Secret Wars. I also thought it was very smart to keep Doom but retire most of the FF, as time has not been kind to them and truthfully, characters like Human Torch feel more at home in 'Inhumans' than any modern FF book. It's cool, and new, and perhaps not original but a more unique take on the villain-turned-hero angle.

But why does he have to be Iron Man? Can't he just be Dr. Doom, or even Dr. Fantastic? Why steal the legacy of another, rather unrelated character?

Would you trust a hero called Dr. Doom?

Doom is a fucking PUNK.

Everyone talks about how horrible a villain he is, yet every damn one of his reads, at least the ones that I've seen or been suggested to see by Sup Forums, depict him as more of a fucking antihero than an actual villain.

Joker -- Killed Jason Todd, paralyzed Barbara, killed Sarah, etc.

Magneto -- Ripped Wolverine's fucking skeleton out

Green Goblin -- Killed Gwen Stacy, all of the psychological damage to his own fucking son

Doom -- The nigga delivered Reed Richards' child.

His big "act of villainy" there was just NAMING THE GIRL. Sure, you can toss out the whole "oh well he was proving that he could do something that Richards couldn't, he could help his family when Richards could not", or the bs "Oh well he's a classy motherfucker dohoho/he's an honorable villain" crap out there, but when it comes down to it, Doom hasn't done SHIT.

That all being said, Doom crying at 9/11 wasn't any sort of break in character or anything to me. Hell, I would even go as far to say that it was entirely IN character.

Better question: how long before everthing is back to status quo?

I was with you until you mentioned Inhumans

It's really dumb to keep inverting heroes and villains and only enforces further the temporary nature of such changes.
> I also thought it was very smart to keep Doom but retire most of the FF, as time has not been kind to them and truthfully, characters like Human Torch feel more at home in 'Inhumans' than any modern FF book.
Oh, you're just really dumb. Seldom has a voice been missed more in the Marvel U than the FF right now.

It would be a fine book if Bendix wasn't writing it.

Also having him use an iron man armor is pretty much a downgrade and makes no sense for doom to use it

Remember when Doom sacrificed his childhood love to demons and crafted a suit of armor from her skin?

If he saved enough people. 'Batman' isn't exactly heart-warming.

Depends on the bat

>a soldier assigned as a personal valet to a commissioned officer
But it sounds safe.

is it an Iron Man armor?
or a Doom armor made to look like Tony's suit?

People missed the FF when FF was still a book. Nothing noteworthy to the legacy of FF, let alone the MU, has happened in that book barring Secret Wars since Valeria said 'Doom'.

Seriously. Most people were reading Ultimate anyways. Everyone is screaming how much they love FF only because it's finally "ended". You don't know what you got until it's gone, apparently.

They get stale and everyone cries, "we want closure! end it!", they get canceled everyone cries "FF was literally my life, bring it back or I will die!!!1!",They'll come back and everyone will cry "nothing changes in comics!". There is no winning with you people

>It's really dumb to keep inverting heroes and villains and only enforces further the temporary nature of such changes.

The idea is that Doom stays a Hero this time, though.

Marvel is just gonna follow the trend and have two Dooms, one modern and one classic. Moon Girl confirms something along that nature at least.

>being british

Remember how he did it all because his just wanted to save his mom?

It's of Doom's own design, but made specifically to imitate Tony

I've been saying he should've been emulating/ the FF more than iron man but all bendis remembers is the iron man/dr. Doom crossover

I would love for Ben and Johnny to have to work with him as a replacement for Reed. It'd make the showdown with Maker even better.

Who would the replacement for Sue be?

FF 84-87

Sad this book will probably be scrapped when Tony comes back.

Has that bullshit not been retconned yet?

Doom thread

>But why does he have to be Iron Man? Can't he just be Dr. Doom
Because that would make too much sense.

Isn't the gimmick that iron man has the better armor, but Doom is the better total package? Like Tony'll be winning the tech fight but then Doom casts magic missiles.

Basically.

It has been mentioned before that doom and Tony's armor are very similar, but Doom's is always a generation or two behind. In no small part because Tony does nothing but make new armor, whereas Doom frequently applies his science to other things.

If Doom spent the time he devotes on making more doombots and doomsday weapons to improving JUST his armor, he would probably be an even match for Tony or even exceed him. But he has too much else going on to specialize himself like that.

>I also thought it was very smart to keep Doom but retire most of the FF, as time has not been kind to them and truthfully, characters like Human Torch feel more at home in 'Inhumans' than any modern FF book.

Fucking casuals.

Remember how that's still pretty fucking awesome?

My issue with this is they had a good setup for him being a good guy during the Children's Crusade. HECK they even had a fucking good superhero alias

"Victor" BECAUSE HE WINS, I loved that so much.

>But why does he have to be Iron Man?
Because Bendis.

Girlfriend skinsuit was after he freed his mom from Hell. He did it just to get an edge on Reed.

Doom's won before though. He even stopped winning because he was bored.

>t. Marvel intern

GO BACK TO "MIGHIGAN"

What are some recommended stories that focus on Doom?
I know of his chronicles, the 2099 stuff, the one where he gets immortality to let go of his guilt, what else?

I know there's a story where he becomes a god and fights cosmic entities, which one is that?

The one being dumped right now is good

I'm not a fan of giving Bendis the benefit of the doubt,
but it's a gesture of humility, that he has become able to set aside his pride and act in the name of something other than himself

Doom, in a lot of incarnations, honestly wants to be a hero. He generally treats Latveria well enough, and is willing to have human moments with heroes every once in a while. But he's still evil because he's inherently driven by his own pride, and he's more than happy to do terrible things to people he considers unimportant in order to play her for those he does.