R1

>R1
Climax of the film is the destruction of the Imperial base on Scarif with the entire cast dying, emphasis that their deaths served a greater purpose gives the entire story meaning, knowledge of context enhances significance of the action
>TLJ
Finn almost commits a selfless act of bravery to save the exact same organization but is told that dying for a cause has never accomplished anything by an Asian girl who then sexually assaults him. Neither character is worth a damn and the time they spend on screen together is the worst part of a movie with a poorly defined context and inconsistent tone on an emotional and comedic level.

>There are people who think TLJ and R1 are equally bad

>R1
>bad at all
Okay, maybe the Jedha heavy weapons guy feels like he's just there, but there's nothing bad about Rogue One otherwise.

Nothing? Its a 10/10?

Maybe 9/10, but Rogue One is pretty much one of the best Star Wars movies

"Rogue One a 9/10"
- Sup Forums poster

Ehhhh

I liked it a lot, definitely the fourth best Star Wars movie, but it’s main villain was a shithead with no motivation other than be evil for fun lol and all the other characters in it were unremarkable and forgettable, and the forced diversity was shit too.

Honestly Rogue One has everything I expect from a SW. Good action, space battles, nice fights, intensity, and it was well paced. The scenario was not very complex but made sense. Characters need more development though, but well in one episode they have more development than the characters in VII-VIII.

They really butchered these new characters. Johnson didn't have much to work with but he still managed to make things worse. Somehow.

>be evil for fun
That's Sidious, not Krennic
Krennic's motivation was his ambition if anything.

>forced diversity
The cast was diverse, but it didn't feel in any way forced to me.

All natural societies are homogenius

If Rogue One didn't have the forced chinks, it'd be a really decent film. Maybe replace their screen time with some rebel squaddie banter.

Er, what? Is this going to be some Sup Forums nonsense again?
While it's true that ST cast does seem a bit like a checkbox crossing with Finn, Rogue One crew was really all just humans who happened to look different.

If anything these movies need less banter, not more

Also, talks about "natural societies", with interstellar travel being commonplace, and the Empire and Rebel Alliance having members from all over the galaxy... lol.

Real life isn't star wars

No, I mean specifically squaddie banter. Think the Colonial Marines from Aliens. Something to highlight that the men with the serious guns have arrived and are about to do unpleasant things to a military base.

Well, this is a thread about Star Wars, so...

I found everyone from Aliens to be awfully forgettable. Only the android and the girl really fell in my memory.

You mean the ones that died at the beginning of Alien 3?

>"fuck yeah, Rogue One is the Star Wars I've been waiting for!"

While men always knew that women are the weaker sex, women never fully understood that men are the disposable sex. War is often an ugly reminder. Disney Nu-Wars? Not so much.

R1 is kind of let down by all that Saw Gerrera bullshit in the first half though. If only they cut that out or fleshed out Saw more then it would be perfect.

Yep, these are the ones.

But then it wouldn't tie in with muh shitty cartoons

>Sith Empire's emblem just happens to look basically the same as the OT Empire
I roll my eyes every time

Yeah, but they did a good job of portraying a unit. Like the Nostromo crew did a good job of being blue collar space truckers.
I'm saying replace the forcibly inserted charisma vacuums that were the ching chong murder duo with some minor characters more in keeping with the less-heroic tone of the film.

Better than this robot asshole

Now that's the other extreme.
>a Sith empire thousands of years in the past uses pretty much the same emblem as the Empire
>but an organization directly derived from the Empire uses something that is literally nothing like it
Swap them around and it's perfect desu.

They could handle it better, and they did actually hint at this in the movie with Saw saying Jyn was one of his best fighter.

I reckon the best way to handle it would be to have a montage of young Jyn nagging Saw to be part of his crew. He agrees and starting to train her to be a terrorist. She gets really good at it but Saw also observes she's slowly turning into a sadistic child soldier type and after murdering some stormtroopers in cold blood he decides it's gone too far and kicks her out for her own good while feeling guilty about the whole thing.

Then later when Jyn go visit him again show his base crawling with child soldiers. He's in too deep now with the space ISIS thing but is proud how she's turning out. Hence why he decides to off himself so his organisation won't go on to tarnish the Rebellion.

>ehhhh
>>/r/eddit

This, TLJ is truely the kino us intellectuals have been striving for

uhhhh

>These 2 films aren't thematically identical therefore the one I didn't like is bad
Go to bed, Mark

Yeah that would have worked pretty well. Its too bad they skip 15 years, she seems like a more interesting character than Rey.
R1 is sort of the Watchmen of Star Wars

Fair, when I said forced diversity I just meant the whole Asian Jedi thing. Like it seemed like they were trying to force Taoism or Daosim or whatever type themes, which might very well have been a creative choice on the director’s part but to me it seemed like Dis why trying to appeal to chinks. I mean don’t get me wrong I could be way off here.
But I do gotta say Krennic was a meme tier villain. And sidious as we all know was after UNNNLIIIMMMEEETTTEEED POOWWWWWWAAAAAA