BRAINLETS BLOWN THE FUCK OUT

ETERNALLY BASED:

>GL: I said, well, [Phantom Menace] is not going to work because I'm making it about a 10-year-old boy, and nobody is going to want to go see this. It's like one of these Disney movies or Benji movies. People don't want that -- they want to see Darth Vader, and I'm not giving them Darth Vader, so don't expect this thing to be a hit. And then [Attack of the Clones] is a love story. It's old-fashioned like in the '40s, you know, it's not a modern, hip, happening romantic comedy with the Olsen twins. It's kind of corny and it's using an aesthetic that is out of use now. I'm not sure whether young people are going to take to it. So at least Darth Vader is in [Episode III]. Only for two minutes, but he's in it. If you take them all together it's a fascinating saga.

>"It's not deliberately camp. I made the film in a 1930s style. It's based on a Saturday matinee serial from the 1930s, so the acting style is very 30s, very theatrical, very old-fashioned. Method acting came in in the 1950s and is very predominant today. I prefer to use the old style. People take it different ways, depending on their sophistication."

>"I've always been a follower of silent movies. I see film as a visual medium with a musical accompaniment, and dialogue is a raft that goes on with it. I create films that way - very visually - and the dialogue's not what's important. I'm one of those people who says, yes, cinema died when they invented sound. The talking-head era of movies is interesting and good, but I'd just like to go to the purer form."

>"The problem is, the theatre aspect of it has sort of taken over, and the institutions that comment on film are very literary."

Other urls found in this thread:

maddogmovies.com/almost/scripts/raidersstoryconference1978.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=eo1uxc6ZgQg
youtu.be/ixgNtxpS354?t=449
youtu.be/ASj6j4jFzX0?t=298
youtube.com/watch?v=jhpFsO8wUoI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>"He (Anakin) lets himself go there...he's spilling his guts out to her (AOTC couch scene). It's intended to be overly dramatic, even
operatic...
>You've got to remember that this whole series of films is based on a 30s genre, The acting style is very much from the 30s, conceptually it's using the influence and the inspiration of the 30s films as its basis, the most central of which are the Saturday matinee serials."-

>"I wanted to write a love story in a style that was extremely old-fashioned, and frankly I didn't know if I was going to pull it off. In many ways this was much more like a movie that from the 1930s than any of the others had been, with a slightly over-the-top, poetic style-and they just don't do that in movies anymore. I was very happy with the way it turned out in the script and in the performances, but I knew people might not buy it. A lot of guys were going to see this movie, and most guys think that kind of flowery, poetic talk is stupid--'Come on, give me a break.' More sophisticated, cynical types also don't buy that stuff. So I didn't know if people would laugh at it and throw things at the screen or they would accept it. Let's face it, their dialogue in that (couch) scene is pretty corny. It is presented very honestly, it isn't tongue-in-cheek at all, and it's really played to the hilt. But it is consistant with the over all Star Wars style. Most people don't understand the style of SW. They don't get that there is an underlying motif that is very much like a 1930s western or Saturday matinee serial. It's in that more romantic period of making movies and adventure films. And this film is even more of a melodrama then the others."

Now I'll have to rewatch them with this in mind. Maybe if I make it black and white and imagine it's really a 30s movie it will be good in that context.
It's still a dumb idea to try and do that style, George.

> I'm making it about a 10-year-old boy, and nobody is going to want to go see this
JUST AGE HIM TO 15-16 AND EVERYBODY WILL WANT TO SEE IT! GOD, YOU'RE SUCH A MORON, GEORGE!

>modern, hip, happening romantic comedy with the Olsen twins
wat

Old man is terribly out of touch.

The olsen twins made a rom com that year.

It was like new york minute or something.

Anyway it was aweful. George made art, the masses want tastless trash.

Thats why he sold to dinsey.
>"You'll get what you wanted" he said

And we have tasteless dericitive trash

Based George. We never appreciated him enough.

arnold should have played luke

ive said this many fucking times. if you cant enjoy the prequels, star wars is too smart for you

I don't think people really ever complained about the writing of the prequels. The story had it's flaws but was a decent space fable.
The problem was the execution.
The new trilogy is the opposite, great execution, ship styles, weapons, costumes - everything is top notch visually. But the writing is on the level of a Deviant Art fan-fiction. It's shit. The Prequels could have been great if Lucas wouldn't have been too involved into them, the OT was so great because there were hundreds of creative people getting together creating stop motion models, spaceship models, costumes, props - all that stuff. That was one of the things that made it great. The prequels were just visually disappointing.

That's a great look. I'm sure they'll always be a part of him that's annoyed about being small, but that's a great look.

Is that Sam Hyde?

>The prequels were just visually disappointing.
Aha, right

>dialogue isn't important
>makes multiple ENDLESS scenes of shitty political comittees
Who's the brainlet, Giorgio?

Between this and the mirror theory ( 1st act of the prequels mirroring the 3rd act of the OT and so forth) I don't know what's more difficult to pull off. He simply out autisticated himself if there's such a thing. The CGI was the killing blow.

right

Thanks for proving my point. It didn't fit the OT, it played before them but all tech looked way more sophisticated and modern. It just did not fit. It was visually disappointing.

He's a hack, there was almost no reason for Episode 1 to exist besides to sell more toys. It does nothing for the story that Attack of the Clones couldn't have covered in the fucking title crawl.

utterly fascinating

one actor on a cgi animal and a floating head on a cgi body + cgi extras all composited on a miniature model set with post process smoke effects and fire

maddogmovies.com/almost/scripts/raidersstoryconference1978.pdf

reminder that lucas is a creative genius

>method acting came in the 1950s

The Group Theatre started in the 1930s and Stanislavski's MAT was doing "method" years before that. I've never respected Lucas (or liked Star Wars, for that matter) because he's a stupid man.

IT WAS SUPPOSED TO LOOK THAT WAY. IT WAS THE REPUBLICS GOLDEN AGE UNTIL THE EMPIRE SUPPRESSED EVERYTHING

Great point.

Lucas should have wrote the prequels, but not directed it. That's what happened with ESB and ROTJ, and still hailed has the best trilogy.

I can understand his own desire about the 30s style, and I think I'm gonna just look at the prequels in another way next time.

The whole "30s acting" thing is pure hackness
They do not act theatrically or "operatically", they are just shit

Who cares how they made, still feels botched.

Jabba the Hutt in the 80s looked way more realistic, and still to this day the most amazing special effects ever filmed in SW.

>Lucas should have wrote the prequels, but not directed it.
But the writing was bad too.
He should have got someone to write it with him.

>I don't think people really ever complained about the writing of the prequels.
Do you live under a rock? One of the most common complaints about the prequels is that their scripts are bad.

This. Lucas should've only bankrolled the operation.

>That's what happened with ESB and ROTJ, and still hailed has the best trilogy.
rotj is considered the worst of the ot, even hated by some
and rotj and tesb were mainly written by lawrence kasdan, based on story outlines of lucas

He keeps throwing out these years as justifications and it's complete bullshit, like he hasn't fucking seen a movie made before titanic since he was a child. It's almost as ridiculous as him calling Indiana Jones 4 a pulp science fiction movie.

Now, where do you fit Jar Jar and Dexxter Drster's 50's diner, Mr. Lucas?

Lucas has said this shit time and time and time again, and no-one listens. "It's based on a serial", "It's based on a serial." People just don't cop on to what this means : it means it's corny and a bit silly and delivered totally unironic.

this

youtube.com/watch?v=eo1uxc6ZgQg

I just read a couple random pages in this. He's very good at developing an archetypal hero and the context and story that makes the hero what he is. I get that the prequels are about a tragic end for the hero, but they're not compelling to watch, and I don't even feel bad for Anakin's tragedy.
Where did everything go wrong?

literally the only problem with the prequels is that Lucas used too much CGI. prove me wrong.

pro tip: you can't

Wew, you're retard and don't know what you're talking about.

You should watch On the waterfront, you fucking pleb

The prequel trilogy should have started with the clone wars with Anakin about to become a Jedi

Ah yes, I loved that bit in Flash Gordon where he sat in a senatorial hearing about trade disputes on Jupiter.

source? wanna read/listen to full interview

who here /ring theory/?

>That's what happened with ESB and ROTJ
Lucas didn't write the screenplays for either of these. Lawrence Kasdan did.

It means characters say things like "You have interfered with our affairs for the last time", or "Thanks, my Blue/Green/Young/Old/ friend" or "I should like some fuel and to use your city as a base as I search nearby systems for General Grievous". They say this shit completely straight-faced, because that is the style of the genre.

that line delivery

False

He can say that all he likes and maybe its true. That doesn't stop it from being shit

Method acting means nothing for what we see on the screen.
You can turn your life around and basically become the character you play, but you might still perform like shit.

source on these quotes?

He wasn't trying to make a 1930's adventure serial. If he was, he would've made The Rocketeer.

'Watch' Flash Gordon. Tell me this is le great acting/writing.

youtu.be/ixgNtxpS354?t=449 ( 7:30 if the timecode doesn't work. )

t.pleb

You can be sincere about more outlandish concept's without it being terrible

He was absolutely trying to remake 30s serials : but not homage them, but as if a director straight out of the 40s suddenly had digital tools, HD and CGI. He was trying to make something like a modern movie from the 30s vs a movie homaging the 30s.

Lawrence wrote the screenplay based on a story treatment by George, and Lucas tempered with it a bit afterwards.

So it was really kino all along?

why does he call "modern realistic delivery" method acting?

you can deliver lines in a modern way without method acting

Except nobody pretends Flash Gordan is high art. Prequel fags need to be gassed along with DCEU fans. You can be the gypsies to their Jew

>I don't think people really ever complained about the writing of the prequels.
Opinion discarded. Clearly you've never seen the countless memes about sand.

That hokeyness is a part of it. That's what Lucas means when he talks about the 'acting style'. Watch this.
youtu.be/ixgNtxpS354?t=449

Why are you denying easily verifiable facts?

hes super serial

I didn't say they did. Even Lucas doesn't, and this is precisely my point.

>The funny thing is, the two movies I directed that were my conventional movies, were slight twists on very, very conventional movies, the kind that I loved when I was younger. One genre was the teenage hot rod movies made by American International Pictures, which were sort of the lowest rung of the movie ladder. The other was Republic Serials, Saturday morning serials from the '30s, which were an ancient lowest rung on the ladder.

>So I was taking the lowest genre that was available and then twisting it and making it into something completely different, something that was more mainstream in terms of the quality and acceptability of the modern movie-going audience. I think the prejudice against those films was really that they were cheap B movies; not that they were so out there.

There is an inherent hokeyness to them that is reproduced in the PT.

Lucas literally invented modern cgi and was always its biggest proponent. Without his efforts, modern films would not exist on half the scale they do today. This applies to the prequels as much as the ot.
Whether this is a good or bad thing is debatable, but in this regard he's probably the most influential filmmaker of all time

Literally
>I was merely pretending to be retarded
If you're making a bad movie that people won't like and you know it there's something wrong with you

The man had a vision. Disney flicks are just a product with "Star Wars" slapped on top, hence them forcing the new faces of their franchise.

its ok if you cant appreciate art. but every aspect of the prequels you dislike was intentional and i for one love the aesthetic hes gone for. he nailed it perfectly

if it's intentionally shit, it's still shit

>he nailed it perfectly

Whoosh. Flash Gordon is hokey I'M ACTING!!! melodrama, where the prequels are flat wood reading off the script and staring off into the middle-distance. If you presented 30's audience with a story about the negotiation of a blockade because of the taxation of trade routes they would've left the fucking theater. Completely opposite ends of the spectrum.

>appreciate art

>he nailed it perfectly
Yeah, he nailed a 30's adventure series perfectly. Not in the nonsensical mess that is the prequels, in the Indiana Jones series.

they needed george to scribble over all the shitty design concepts in these new disney movies. The fact that he's missing really shows (and not in a good way)

>fake_taxi.webm

I used to watch these behind the scenes things a lot. It's crazy how much organizing has to go into all of that, keeping track of everything.

its contemporary art

I like George. The more I learn about the prequels, or analyze certain scenes and thematics, the more I like them.

Fuck the haters

Look at their faces. The sole merit of the prequels was they were made during a time when there was still a semblance of honesty in Hollywood. Contrast that with Disney, where everyone on set is happy, every aspect of the production is commercialized, and people like Hamil have to go along with it and feign a smile.

it would have made their relationship less creepy too

those guys are turbo nerds, the guy on the left created photshop I believe. They don't play around, they're not braindead nu-males. Only the best of the best for our boy george.

But that's how it was meant to be. All color was drained after the Emperor became a thing.

The Rocketeer is kitschy crap

Looks like a Final Fantasy X cutscene.

The conceit that the characters are real people and that the intricacies of their involvement in their world and each other is what matters rather than the visuals and the music and the overarching emotional engagement in the film

Plinkett, Disney, and Sup Forums on suicide watch

>implying your toaster is powerful enough to run Revenge of the Sith on max settings
lmaoing @ your life

Yeah fuck the Director making a movie with his own vision XD

He should only make movies for the lowest common denominator, like Disney does.

You people are completely fucking retarded

>hurr it's his vision so it's excluded from critique
I bet you also like those feminist "artists" that smear menstrual blood all over canvas cause it's their "vision"

That's really good. How did the actors pulled it out?

We have seen in million dollar films and shows how they forget cging an enemy here and there and characters end up fighting nothing, but here its all very well choreographed.

Is the High Priest in that scene overacting? He's flat as fucking board.

What about this ?

youtu.be/ASj6j4jFzX0?t=298

Prince Barin can barely act. The writing and delivery is stilted and flat and pseudo-Shakespearean - all "I am/I am not"/"I shall/I shall not". It's exactly the same spirit, it lines up completely with what Lucas says in interview.

If your critique is WHY DOESN'T HE CATER TO LOW IQ PEOPLE LIKE ME!!

Then your "critique" is utterly moronic and you should shut your whore mouth.

What happened?

>a-at least, like, the prequels were honest shit
The absolute statr of non-white spammers.

no, my critique is:
>making something bad on purpose and knowing it's gonna be bad is idiotic
And your entire argument is flawed because he DID cater to lowest common denominator by introducing shit characters, critters and subplots, which in turn made this turd of a movie even worse

youtube.com/watch?v=jhpFsO8wUoI

Technology happened

Marlon Brando was trained by Stella Adler of the fucking Group Theatre you massive mongoloid.

that's actually pretty cool