Gaiman Hopes American Gods’ Success Will Lead to Sandman TV Series

>For a long time, I’ve been saying with a movie, you’ll have to throw so many things out. …Why not take all the things that make [it difficult to adapt], take all the bugs in ‘Sandman,’ and make them features. The fact that you have 75 issues, plus a whole bunch of stories? You have 80 episodes. That’s a good thing! The fact that you have adult themes and adult things? That’s now a good thing. It will be very strange to take ‘Sandman’ to TV, but I really do think it’s the most important thing we could do. And I hope if ‘American Gods’ goes big? Between that and ‘Lucifer,’ that could help.

Other urls found in this thread:

cbr.com/neil-gaiman-american-gods-sandman/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

cbr.com/neil-gaiman-american-gods-sandman/

But Lucifer isn't anything like the source material, so why would he expect Sandman to be any better?

Because these guys give a shit.

I think he's mainly just name dropping his other adapted work. American Gods is looking pretty accurate and they had Gaiman write extended roles for certain characters like the Ifrit so its not too out of place

This kinda makes sense, in that he's been shopping a Sandman series for a good long time.

But it's also something that'd be exponentially more effects heavy than American Gods, which I can see going multiple episodes without really needing a big CG setpiece.

Because Lucifer wasn't the phenomenon that Sandman was, even as a spinoff from it?

From what I hear, the first book (only book I guess) is going to be three seasons long.

I think it ends at spoilers obviously The House on the Rock, which is a weird place. There has to be a ton of other content made for the show.

Easter also seems to be introduced in the series way earlier from how much they're showing her in promo material

I just looked at the wikipedia page for it, and holy stuff is different. It fully introduces Jesus, and spoils the twist that Mr. World is Loki (but they do have two different actors for the role

Also:

>Corbin Bernsen as Vulcan, a new character created by Gaiman specifically for the series and described as having "bound himself to guns"

Cynics begone!

We could get a fricking Sandman series! I hope he works out something with the Stranger Things team and we see it one day on Netflix. I refuse to be cynical about this. It most likely will happen. Its exciting to think about. Like I said, I vote for the Stranger Things people to work with Neil.

I think those 80 issues would translate into many more than 80 episodes though. Some issues could easily be done as multiple episodes. Most would I suspect.

>literally a gun god
Nice
And characters like Technology will definitely be updated for modern day
I trust Gaiman and Fuller to make the right decisions with this stuff.
I guess Jesus is a less taboo character to characterise nowadays so that's why?

God I hope we don't get a Sandman adaptation now. The time is way overdue and there's no way they could do it justice anyway

>Gaiman write extended roles for certain characters like the Ifrit

Oh wow, because I couldn't get enough of the Ifrit's huge cock and burning cum the first time, now they're gonna EXPAND his DONG even more. Joy

Above all you'd need really solid visuals to sell the universe. Nothing could be worse for a Sandman tv series than if it ends up looking like every other supernatural show currently airing.

There's also the fact that Christianity is becoming more demonised in western civilisations compared to when the book came out so I guess it'll play into that

At this point Gaiman should just write Doctor Who episodes instead of trying to push his own muh creative artist storyteller bullshit

HBO or FX please

Christians were saying that back in the fucking 80's and it wasn't any more true then than it is now.

>giving to Cillian Murphy a role where his eyes would be CGI'd to be pure black
Blasphemy.

Murphy isn't hot enough to be Morpheus.

Why do we need a stupid cheap hollywood adaptation for everything? Leave my hipster comics alone!

but if you do need to adapt it, British actors only, please

what about Keanu?

Obviously Keanu is perfect but you can't get him cheap enough for TV, even HBO.

>held captive for 70 years
>finally emerges
>whoa

Dream is actually a fairly difficult role because he's at the same time supposed to have a very strong presence, yet also to be mostly passive around other colorful characters. It's when he finally starts openly reacting to them that you know shit's about to hit the fan.

Why doesn't Millar help his fellow Britons out for their Hollywood ventures? Get them in contact with the top dogs and the big cheeses or whatever. Like, Morrison and Gaiman have been trying to get into the Hollywood business for years :(

Gaiman's never had trouble getting in touch with Hollywood, it's just he has very popular, critically acclaimed works and Hollywood naturally keeps asking if they can shit them up to appeal to dudebros, families, Dawson's Creek-loving fujos, or various other demographics.

Morrison probably keeps pitching shit to studios and they go "yeah that's cool. Hey can you get us in touch with the Batman guys? Put in a good word for us?"

British actors ONLY

>Neo playing Morpheus

Call me retarded, but personally I think they should start the series with A Game of You. Preludes and Nocturnes and Doll's House are too different in tone (horror instead of fantasy) and themes from the rest of the books, so they should be told as small flashbacks to maintain a consistent background. Proceed onto Season of Mists (most important arc) with the one-shot episodes from fables and reflections and dream country scattered in between (Like haruhi suzumiya broadcast order) Wrap it up with The Kindly Ones. Make the Wake as fucking meta as possible

I always imagined Dream with Dexter's deep monotonous voice, and second Dream with the voice of the guy who played Quicksilver in X-Men films.

The problem with Hollywood project, isn't the pitch, it's everything that comes after. You need to have an adequate team on board all at the same time, the script, a studio willing to take the risk at X time, etc... It can take years or even decades and go through dozens of iterations before anything ressembling a concrete project can emerge.

>animated HBO series with each season having a different artstyle to the corresponding books

maybe in the next lifetime

That's why Millar has been so successful. All he does is sell them the concept and then lets them do whatever the fuck they want with it.

Gaiman would want to be involved in every step of the creation and make sure it stays true to his vision, which people in Hollywood hate, and somewhat rightfully so because like you said there's a lot of shit and a lot of people your project has to go through to become reality and naturally you end up making a lot of concessions on the way. I imagine Morrison might feel similarly.

Have you read his short story collections? There's a story exactly like this, but I can't remember the name of it right now

You've been pissing and moaning about this for centuries, you've not been properly oppressed in the west since Rome

And they deserve it. Christfags are the muslims of the western world.

Shut up you fucking dolt.

Gaiman is just less scared of offending Christians. It's less controversial now than it probably was ten years ago thanks to the Internet and social media.

>From what I hear, the first book (only book I guess)

Isn't Anansi Boys essentially a sequel?

Character Actress Margo Martindale getting a recurring role would probably allow her to finally avoid Bojack's wacky schemes. I approve.

HBO can afford Anthony Hopkins, they can afford damn Keanu.

But the one time we got a proper incarnation of Death she was 100% American.

And so is Daniel, for that matter.

I've been saying the same thing for awhile. Would also love for Bryan Fuller to be the showrunner, but any level of involvement is fine with me.

>80 issues would translate into many more than 80 episodes though.
if these are one hour long episode it should come out too much less than 80 episodes i don't want them to feel each episode with tons of pointless filler
that's why each scene in any given episode of game of thrones varys so wildly in terms of quality

More like an independent spin off. Anansi is in it, but barely, and it's more of a weird dark-ish comedy about his two sons going to a tropical island. And Shadow has appeared in one or two short stories but nothing that could really make more than a filler episode.

Considering how easy it is to realize Low Key stands for Loki, it's not much of a spoiler.

what are you talking about?

>Coleman as Death
pic related.
I kek'd.

Sandman has plenty of shit that could easily be expanded to cover more time, just by focusing more on side characters. Imagine an entire episode on just Destruction's slowly boiling decision to leave, or the life he has once he's left, trying to learn to live among mortals.

i don't like your pick for desire

desire is supposed to be ambiguous handsome as a man or woman you're still supposed to be able to look at it and think i would fuck and Tilda Swinton doesn't do it for me

why?none of the endless seem particularly british to me.

But they are posh, a royalty of a sort, and nothing gives you majestic presence like a posh British accent. Though Destruction probably could use an American accent just to signal how accustomed he's become being "retired" and Delirium feels like someone who's accent ought to swing all over the place.

you have much more faith in these people than i do even when you're working with the best studios when they introduce things that are not in the source material they show a complete utter lack of understanding of the characters and the themes of the source material

the best example i can think of is a game of thrones a song of ice and fire is distinctly anti-war but since the show ran out of source material it now takes every chance it gets to glorify violence and have the characters do things that their book counterparts would never even think of

an animated series that translates JHWIII's art?
can i get a hell yeah?

am i the only one who thinks that the actors these guys pick the play dream are handsome in the wrong way

same thing with death these girls are beautiful but it seems like you're working way too hard at it that seems like it would go against the kind of vibe death is supposed to give off

make up, nigger.

Depends on who's producing it. I feel like Sandman could only work on HBO if they ever decided to do it.

They could only afford him for one season though.

Has that been confirmed?

He's in season 2, but not as a regular.

The almost total absence of Christianity in the book despite its enormous presence in the U.S. was one of the biggest flaws of the setting. How can you say that America is not a good country for gods and ignore the biggest one of all?

Doesn't really fir the narrative of old immigrant Gods being forced out by newer modern Gods. A Christian God's place in that conflict is interesting but by its own nature isn't exactly going to have much direct impact on the plot. He's already got millions of worshipers while the Old Gods get by on scraps of belief, why bother even getting drawn into this conflict? When Christ does show up in the TV show, what's he going to say? "The kingdom of heaven is for mankind only; you stupid pagan fertility fuckers and post-modern anthropomorphic personifications can kill each other off, I'll still be top dog here for another century."

Yeah, Jesus doesn't fit into the story at all, but they should at least have addressed him directly and explained why he wasn't participating instead of ignoring him almost entirely with a minor handwave about "lol he's big here but shit in Afghanistan!".

Also Shadow is a Jesus parallel himself.

I hope they add a lot of diversity

>How can you say that America is not a good country for gods and ignore the biggest one of all?

Because American Jesus is actually just alternate faces for the new gods, like Media and Money.

That's the sort of alternate interpretation that could/should have been in the book.

Originally he was going to be! Shadow did meet Jesus but the scene didn't fit anywhere. it got included as a bonus in the tenth anniversary edition.

>man hopes thing making him money from old work will make lots of money and lead to other things that make him money from old work
You don't say?

I need to read that, then.

Don't the Endless, Delusion, show up in American Gods?

It's been a while since I read the book (regular edition), but I think there mention of a multi-colored haired girl with a dog. I might just be repeating stuff I read about the extended cut.