All New Guardians Of The Galaxy #2 First Look

>A NEW ERA OF COSMIC ADVENTURE BEGINS HERE! The Guardians of the Galaxy have taken off into space once more, on their biggest and weirdest misadventures yet! Kicking things off with the biggest heist they've ever tried, we join Star-Lord, Rocket Raccoon and company as they blast their way through the galaxy, the peacekeepers of the Nova Corps hot on their tails.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Marvel/comments/68489r/hi_im_gerry_duggan_writer_of_such_comics_as_the/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>tfw you have to be in the team with bendised star-lord

Even with the last few years' worth of movie madness absolutely burning me completely out on GotG I'm considering giving this a shot so Duggan can deliver us from evil.

It's funny, DnA cosmic Marvel was what I originally came to Sup Forums for, and it was an essential part of the board here. I remember seeing those first images for the movie and being more excited than I've ever been for anything in my life.

Fast-forward to now and I couldn't possibly be less interested in anything GotG related to the point even all my old TPBs are just gathering dust.

I guess it's a testament to how efficient Hollywood is at milking the soul and fun out of everything it touches.

Anyway despite the shitty designs here, the art here
feels a lot like MUH Guardians

Though this
comedic bit is triggering me. It's sad that even though it was always comedic, any amount of comedy now just makes me think of Bendis/Humphries.

Looks pretty good, I may just add this to my pull list now that Bendis is off the title.

>heist

Remember when the Guardians of the Galaxy was a bunch of ragtag soldiers/mercenaries who commanded respect and honor from galactic society and not just a bunch of despised criminals?

>Fast-forward to now and I couldn't possibly be less interested in anything GotG related to the point even all my old TPBs are just gathering dust.

Also creators like Bendis have completely fucked the comics with theiry Jewry. I think Ewing would have been a better choice. He really gets cosmic shit.

>I'm considering giving this a shot so Duggan can deliver us from evil

Duggan openly admitted he would be sticking to what Bendis established. There will be no escape here.

Aaron Kuder with Ive Svorcina is great.

Remember when Star-Lord started them to be heroes defending the universe from all potential threats? I certainly do.

Do you know if he meant plot and lore-wise or characterization?

Because if he's just writing it as a flat-out comedy like Bendis then I have no interest, despite Duggan being a genuinely fantastic comedy writer.

>the peacekeepers of the Nova Corps hot on their trails

All two?

Duggan's been doing an AMA on reddit to lead up to the book.

reddit.com/r/Marvel/comments/68489r/hi_im_gerry_duggan_writer_of_such_comics_as_the/

He's said a lot of things that make me sound pretty confident about how this run is going to go. Some choice quotes:

>Well, I'm starting with the current team...but the make-up is going to change as the story unpacks. As for bringing in former Guardians, I have to be really careful about how I answer, but...yes. Who interests you the most? By issue 3 (guest starring Frazer Irving) the possibilities will be pretty clear...

>Yes, there are at least two very meaty plot points that bring Rich into the Guardians orbit. This run starts with a mirror of the the cinematic team, and then we go pretty hard into what I would call a series of long emergencies - we're sort of showing you more fires than we're extinguishing at first. The Guardians will be just that - playing defense against fires that threaten the whole galaxy. Plus, we haven't even talked about the weird stuff happening with the infinity stones.

>That stuff is gold though - being able to have feelings about crazy stuff that happened? That's where all the magic comes from. The craziest part about writing Rich/Quill is - that it's not the craziest part. You'll see.

>Our Novas are a bit complicated. They're being reformed, but we have to give them time. Deadpool 30 actually has some answers for you.
>The truth is somewhere in the middle. Some of these Novas will be flying punching "classic MU" some will not - some are support. Some are science officers. Not every US soldier can fast rope out of a copter and hit targets at a 1000 yards. that's how we're conceiving the Novas. The ones with the nova force are "swat". Much is clarified in year one.

>So, I think it's fun to be able to reintroduce some of these new stories that we're telling, that have some DNA (no pun intended) from our predecessors.

He talked about DnA run more than Bendis's in his interviews.

I actually like the art quite a bit here.

>That stuff is gold though - being able to have feelings about crazy stuff that happened? That's where all the magic comes from. The craziest part about writing Rich/Quill is - that it's not the craziest part. You'll see.
Oh shit, we're finally getting a Richard/Peter reunion?

>Well, it's tough. As creators we have to sell a book serval times. First to retailers, then to fans. I would prefer to say nothing at all. I was thinking about this earlier this week - Posehn and I sat down in UNBREAKABLE all those years ago - and we didn't even know it was a "superhero" story. I deeply sort of regret having to discuss the comics in advance, but we operate at the intersection of art & commerce - so I get it. I can only say - I remember my history. I remember Phyla, and the brothers Rider. I remember Drax was a saxophonist in another life. I know where the bodies are buried, and which of those bodies might be buried with important artifacts. The first arc places all the pieces on the board. As to what would "separate" these stories from what would have come - I don't think I can really comment. Every comic has something enjoyable for me. I find something to like and love in even not a great comic. I try not to have a relationship with my work after it's printed. It's not for me to judge or pimp anymore. I will say though, it's my hope that fans of the MCU and old timey Marvel Cosmic fans have a chance to be pretty, pretty, pretty happy. It's going to be worth it for the art alone. Kuder is the spine - and our guest artists are Frazer Irving, Chris Samnee, has Greg Smallwood been announced yet?

>re: cosmic heavy hitters - out of the gate. You're also gonna see some characters BECOME cosmic heavy hitters. That may not be a great thing.

>Yeah - I'm excited to write a little Rich for the first time. He wasn't on the board during the time I was asked to contribute on Nova.

>They're one of my favorite parts. Like the Nova, they're being retooled a bit. There are 13 Talons. High level swat versions of the Raptors. 13 Raptors of The Fraternity Of Raptors is gonna be my Wu-Tang album.

>The lie the Raptors told Darkhawk now seems to be true. Right? they told him "we're good guys. space cops!" right? Well, while the Nova Corps have been diminished - they have increased in stature. One of my favorite parts of the arson I'm committing out in space - is this thread. If we can pull off some of these surprises - I will be very very happy. The Raptor angle really comes to a head in the second arc.

>I mean - I could see a scenario where I might need to send them there - but I think I'm roughly a dozen scripts in - and none of them appear on Earth. The nice part of my inheritance is that everyone knows these characters now - I don't have to set them up - some have new status quos - but I feel very happy charting a course for deep, weird space. By mid-summer - we'll have fires burning throughout the galaxy. Soon they will converge in a ginormous conflagration.

>I think these things can be whatever we want - the freedom of that is truly wonderful - or can be paralyzing. I'm definitely starting with an MCU-ish cast, hitting the clutch and trying to do some unexpected shifting. Even with groot for instance - people may look at this book and say "oh, it's baby groot" and - that's exactly what I want people to think. by the last page of issue 1, I think everyone will be pretty mad, sad or grossed out. FWIW, I think my job is to do new. Movies should take what they want and be inspired by whatever tickles their funnyboners.

>I loved rich as a kid - but also fell in love with Sam - who had a very different corner to occupy. The gift of Sam is that - he scratches that Parker/inexperienced hero itch. They are gems. I'm proud of what we did on Nova - and see the value in 2 very different Novas.
>My favorite part of the cosmic universe is not being tied down in anyway, and the way that the stones are re-introduced to the MU. Lots of good fun, tragedy and a few laughs ahead. Thanks again for the support.

>Frazer Irving on issue 3

>I can only say - I remember my history. I remember Phyla

I really want to believe.

>Hah - well, um - it's funny you mention the Pym/Ultron stuff - I inherited a dead/merged character - so I thought we made the most of that - Ultron sort of having ripped off his face and was wearing it - felt like - that was a new fun direction (not for Hank) but yeah - we're definitely going to see the fire that Ultron started in space having SERIOUS blowback over time. We're gonna let that one build - but by second arc - it need attention... thanks again - oh, and re: Starlord - he has some events coming up that def fall into the category you mentioned - but I quite enjoy that he enjoys earth music. I do too - thanks for giving us a try. You'll have fun for the art alone.

>True, the origins are different - but I don't mind Quill having music as a part of his life. Samnee is the star of that issue - and we actually begin to have some of the Nova threads come into focus there - but it's a story about what a guy gets to take to space. As for the MCU of it all - I'm happily starting with the cast made famous by the films and Bendis and then hoping to leave my mark on the characters. Again, if I had started UA with Rogue & Deadpool as friends - I think the title would have suffered. There are different characters I want to bring in and different stories I want to tell with some of the existing GotG - I like to call it a "clutch" You can't shift a vehicle this large without one.
>Bendis gave me a great piece of advice - that I was already planning - but it validated my choice - aim for deep space - and keep going.
>Aaron and I are going to MAKE SPACE WEIRD AGAIN.

I imagine he'll pull a DP were in his first arc is a "transition" arc before Duggan has his own stride

>Love what Chip and Kris were doing on that book. I think we are custodians of these characters - and everyone adds to them in different ways. It's our inheritance - sometimes it's an inheritance you love, sometimes it's not - but that's what makes the character seem real - they feel like they've lived a life. I think one of the things that might be interesting at the start of this run - is that Quill seems like he's the one at the top of his game. Gamora is hiding her motives and activities - Drax is having a protracted nervous breakdown over something we have yet to reveal and something terrible happened to Groot. (that story - sorry I saved my biggest knife twists for Groot)
>Team books are always a challenge - making sure everyone gets a guitar solo every now and again - or in the case of Drax - a sax solo.

>Ozymandias voice "A non-cosmic character in space? Why I already grabbed him...15 minutes ago."
>Sincerely, the real answer is already scripted and drawn.

>Some unexpected faces are going to turn up in some unexpected places. Try the first arc. I have to leave some surprises.

>thanks for reading - hope you head to space with us - i'm applying everything I learned on UA to the cosmic space. I'm running it like a D&D campaign.

He also hinted at something concerning dead characters in issue 3.

I foolishly have hopes for this book

>when you're bendised star-lord

>ragtag soldiers/mercenaries
That was only in the Star-Lord mini.

The Guardians shtick was that they were an underpowered quick response team against universal threats. It was really fun to read.

>I remember Phyla, and the brothers Rider
OK I'm sold.

Damn I'm cheap.

>who commanded respect and honor
Like one third of the point of that run was that very few people would give them the time of day. And the few scraps of respect they did get from Cynosure/the Luminals/the Kree came much later.

Rich apparently rebuilt his corps off screen and Duggan is bringing in 2 other sects nobody knows or cares about.

>You're also gonna see some characters BECOME cosmic heavy hitters
P A C M A N
A
C
M
A
N

Or he is just messaging to the DnA!Guardians crowd. Don't believe him until he delivers or you'll be disappointed.

>Aaron and I are going to MAKE SPACE WEIRD AGAIN.
My faith in this book has been restored.

>Drax: The Platonic Ideal of Killing Thanos.

I just want the Guardians to be good again...

>I remember Drax was a saxophonist in another life.

Goddamn YES.

You're one of those dumbasses who didn't support the new Nova book because you were so sure Rich was a fake out, aren't you?

Piss off, this is already more than Bendis ever promised and Duggan's proven himself multiple times.

I do too. But given how much Marvel has fucked the franchise, I think a little bit of cynicism is needed or you are going to get burned again.

The raptors? those are from DnA's War of the Kings stuff.

Does someone have the DnA recommended reading chart?

Not him, but if you couldn't tell that book was dead on arrival, you're a fucking idiot.
And the main reason a lot of people didn't support was because Sam is on the cover.

>believing marvel isn't out to screw the fans

You can take your SJW garbage back to tumblr. Almost all the recent shit since Secret War has been a testament to Marvel's perfidy and contempt of the fandom

>the butthurt samfag strikes again

Duggan managed to turn Sam Nova into a readable book and one of the first things he did was make Sam friends with Cosmo.

Give him enough rope to hang himself, at least.

And let's not forget he managed to make Deadpool good in Sup Forums's eyes after he became mainstream and the horrendous Daniel Way run happened.

Chucklefucks like him didn't help, and if you don't remember all of the claims that Marvel was trying to ruse them when solicits first came out, then you have a terrible memory.

So you are an idiot who thinks every writer at Marvel is the same guy. Good to know.

What if Duggan pulls a Deadpool, and retcons post-DnA Quill into being a Cancerverse plant?

Sam has been turning away audiences for a long time. The people who thought Rich was a bait and switch wouldn't have put this out of cancellation.
Also, Marvel barely lifted a finger to market that book. They did an SDCC reveal and an interview the writers that left potential readers more concerned than anything else.

>thinking writers have any control and it's not all editors pulling the strings.

You are the idiot.

I think if they retconning DnA Star-Lord into being another character would be better. The current one is based on the movie and Marvel loves their synergy so much it makes it impossible to go back to his old characterization.

Personally I'd like it to unfold like this
>main Peter keeps the new movie-like origin
>gets kidnapped by Yondu and stays with the Ravagers for a while
>he encounters the Master of the Sun (Ego in disguise (?)) and grants him the title of Star-Lord
>doesn't last, goes MIA
>Sinjin Quarrel the second star-lord finds his stuff and adopts Peter's identity
>he does all the heroic shit which culminates with him battling the fallen one
>Annihilation-Imperative happens
>main peter kept a low profile all this time being a mercenary
>main peter is at the point of spawn where Star-Lord, Drax and Thanos come back to earth
>Star-Lord was infected by the cancerverse, doesn't have much time left
>still laments the Guardians didn't quite work
>motivated by his heroics main peter takes on the name of Star-Lord once again, under his terms, and goes to form the current Guardians of the Galaxy

Can we just give Peter back his real helmet? Not that stupid clear piece of shit from the Bendis run, and not the movie one now. I'm talking his full Gestapo, Darth Vader helmet. I miss that look.

How many fucking phoenix eggs are there now?

>>Star-Lord was infected by the cancerverse, doesn't have much time left
The way I would do this, since Nova seems to be an antagonist here, is
>It's been Quill's cancerverse doppelganger the whole time
>Rich is the only one who knows this, and he wants to kill the impostor before it has a chance to spread
>The faux Quill simply wants to live in a dimension that isn't a never-ending nightmare and doesn't want to spread the Angled Ones' will, but Rich deems him too much of a threat

So all of Duggan's fixing Deadpool was actually the editors? And Bendis and Slott aren't actually bad writers, it's just the editors? Fascinating.

It's because the editors run a lose ship in the first place that Bendis and Slott are allowed to do all the shit they want and shit all over the properties. Likewise the ones who run a tight ship can get good stuff out of their writers. And whoever is in charge of Gotg/cosmic Marvel has let Bendis shit all over the franchise while, shilling Sam Loeb as Nova, maintaining the similarities to the GOTG movies and ignoring all the stuff done by Giffen/DnA.

>Marvel uses editors in the first place

Except the new Nova did acknowledge the DnA stuff. It's not that the editors are actively telling them to ignore that material, it's that writers like Bendis don't give a shit. The mention of the Fraternity of Raptors by Duggan and in solicits disproves your hypothesis that the editors are preventing writers from acknowledging that material. Duggan even brought Cosmo back in his Nova, for Christ's sake.

At least it's not movie tie-ins

That is so Crichton

Star-Lord was a Kree commnder prior to Gotg and well respected enough that Ronan had to secretly dispose of him.

What about you actually read comics, lil nigga?

That was in the comics you faggot.

Your fanfiction doesn't count chump.

>Frazier Irving
>Cosmic-level comics

cumming.jpg

>dna gotg is fanfiction

literally kill yourself.

Yeah it isn't. You should read it sometime.

>Ronan
>DnA
Fuck off casual.

>My smile and optimism: restored.

>Aaron Kuder
>Frazer Irving
>Chris Samne
>Greg Smallwood

thats a goddamn art team

>lazy OCs by Cebulski that were used to completely retcon a character's backstory and were forgotten ever since are going to be expanded upon
So weird

Probably because Duggan is more than likely bringing Darkhawk back to the cosmic corner.