Godzooky

What are your favorite Godzilla films from over his 60+ years?
Which style do you prefer, goofy or serious?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=40z7aeqOQYo
youtu.be/spZLzWz6SkY
youtube.com/watch?v=EFpd2IQoTYA
metacafe.com/watch/8206307/godzilla_1985/
alluc.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I was way too young to remember the old ones. All I remember is segments of some monster fights, particularly Mothra.
I hope there's a download for Shin that isn't the version missing like 10 minutes.

I love Godzilla in all its forms.

Personally I prefer the serious tone. Obviously giant monsters destroying cities is a goofy sci-fi concept, but if it actually did happen it would be fucking terrifying and scary. That's why I really like Shin Godzilla and even Legendary Godzilla, fuck all that MCU, Dark Universe, DCEU bullshit, it's all about the Monsterverse.

I love when it's goofy but with completely serious elements.
Like King Kong vs. Godzilla is goofy as hell, but listen to that theme song that sells it as dead serious:
youtube.com/watch?v=40z7aeqOQYo

Zilla standing out like a sore thumb

power creeped to hell

The original B/W movie. That was one pissed off monster

Literal kino scene

Serious.

Top favorite Kajiu films in general...
> vs Biollante = Gam 3 = Gam 2 > GMK > Godzilla 1985 > vs King Ghidorah = vs Mechagodzilla 2 = vs Destroyer > 2014

Godzilla vs King Ghidorah is best for this. You get monster fighting action, wacky time travelling villains with corny acting and flying saucers, and right in the middle are these dark, heartwrenching scenes with the Japanese soldiers saluting the fatally injured proto-Godzilla dinosaur, or Godzilla recognizing the same army captain during his rampage

>let's get a guy who doesn't even like Godzilla to direct our Godzilla film

I generally prefer serious entries like GMK and the original, but I also love stuff like DAM and Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster

As long as it’s not complete schlock I can watch it

Sub or dub

Dubs have some amusement factor but I wouldnt watch them seriously

Dub. There are some things just burned into my memory like the Controller's death scene in Monster Zero.
youtu.be/spZLzWz6SkY

>Biollante in the top
My melanin enriched acquaintance!

TAKE THAT YOU DINOSAUR

Great fucking design

>Godziller and Destroyer..... I can’t believe it

Something's wrong Angwerus shouldn't attack his friend Godziller.

Who is the best non-G monster and why is it Gigan

Gigan is a pretty cool guy.

I love how he has parachutes even though he can fly

Probably still wasn't a 100%

There's something satisfying about the fast hand to hand brawling from the Showa films. You don't see it from the 80s films on, since they switched to a more realistic weighty style

Why did Godzilla appeared in that movie?? Biolante stole the show

Godzilla vs Megalon is a laugh riot dubbed

Good stuff.

>Godzilla bobbing and weaving
I didn't know they taught boxing on Monster Island

80s dubs were good. Most of the 2001 onward films the dubs suck.

Godzilla 2000 tho absolutely the dubbed American cut, it's universally agreed the sound design on the original cut was incredibly awful, even the Japs agree on this.

That fuckin right hook he throws to knock down Gigan though

That was from the Zone Fighter tv show, yeah it was because he was weakened.

Legion
youtube.com/watch?v=EFpd2IQoTYA

Cant stand Shin. It's turned me off from all godzilla, unfortunately

Explain.

Godzilla’s Revenge.

dope

The original (the Japanese version, not the American edit with Raymond Burr) is the best. Mothra vs. Godzilla is also solid. I've heard that King Kong vs. Godzilla is really good in its Japanese version, but it's not available outside of Asia, and the international version is total a hack job with multiple scenes featuring American actors added, stock footage from a different Honda film inserted, and Ifukube's score replaced it with assorted library music (it does not, however, substantially change the ending, contrary to urban legend).

I like the general aesthetic of the Showa films the best, but am not a fan of the goofy tone that developed in the mid-late '60s. I'm not as familiar with the Heisei and Millennium films, and I haven't seen Shin Godzilla yet (though I want to at some point).

And it was one of his best scores ever

I liked Legendary Godzilla

I didn't mind the lack of Godzilla scenes, if only they gave him an interesting monster to fight or did not go the route of the main character being a military jarhead trying to protect his family..

I loved it too personally. As a life long Godzilla fan it was a treat to see him on the big screen, and not the way he was absolutely butchered in 1998. Also I feel like this scene on the bride was put there specifically to mock the bridge scene in the 1998 version where he gets tangled up and fucking biffs it.

Me too, and I can't wait for the sequel, since it'll be going full Godzilla after the first film did the slow introduction

The director of the new G vs Kong movie has said it will be damn serious & closer to 1954 but I am concerned about the tone of KOM, I love TrickRTreat but I am not sure I like that tongue in cheek tone for Godzilla.

I am baffled, and still baffled by the love it gets online, because when I saw it, the one night it showed in my semi-metropolitan town, in a packed theater full of godzilla nerds, each of whom expecting Japan's true answer to the pretty good but largely disappointing American version, the entire place hated it. As the movie progressed, the disappointment grew and grew. It was largely just vibes, people becoming more willing to voice their disgust, laughter growing less suppressed. Upon leaving, one guy said to his friend, with a sad shrug, "You know, it just wasn't made for us. It was made for THEM."

And then everyone online loved it.

My review: Godzilla was a hilarious fish monster instead of Godzilla? Was I supposed to be afraid that people were coming out of his tail? I don't get it. I don't read anime, I don't watch manga, I have better things to do with my life than to pollute my eyes with a trash medium. Might be why I don't like it, cuz I'm not sucking Annos dick.

Review minus snark: It's been a while since I've seen it, so I'm fuzzy on plot stuff. I just hated the cinematography. Its all desaturated closeups (BVS, anyone?). The resolution was comically easy, I remember laughing out loud that all they needed to do was back him in a corner with a bunch of construction cranes. I really wanted a return to Godzilla as a dark figure, an walking commentary on man's self-destruction. Gojira is without a doubt one of the most important Japanese films for that reason. But this was a shallow dark comedy about how Japanese government bureaucracy reacts inefficiently to natural crises. Yawn.

Shit on me if you must, but it just did not feel like a Godzilla movie. It felt like something cheap. Something feeding off the name of Godzilla to create something different, self-serving. If this is where Godzilla is going, and fans want it to go that way, I don't need to stay on the ride.

Destroy All Monsters. Fuck you if you say anything else.

I don't think they're going for any tongue in cheek tone, probably a little lighter than Godzilla 2014 but not much more

>I have better things to do with my life
Protip, don't ever post something like this while you're on Sup Forums in the middle of the night

Unironically this. One of the best opening nights of my life. A lot to criticize, but I still can watch that movie and have fun. Has some truly Kino giant monster suspense scenes.

don't fucking read it then I don't care.

My audience's reaction in the theater when his tail lit up and then unleashed his atomic breath was perfect. There was actually one of those "oooooooOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH" buildups and then cheering when he fired it off.

Never had cheers in a cinema before

lol you bitch

Watch 1985 & vs Biollante for sure.
metacafe.com/watch/8206307/godzilla_1985/
alluc. ee/l/Godzilla-VS-Biollante-1989-BRRip-X264-AC3-PLAYNOW-mkv-mp4/xk9hpan5

That link is the American edit of 85.
The editing of a key suspense sequence is much better, the original score remains intact but they added some really good themes from a film called Def Con 4 which fit with the original score quite nicely.

Biollante has some of the best special effects & sets of the whole franchise, one of the best most fleshed out origins for any of the villain kajiu of the franchise & some good human stuff & spy drama.

1985 is my favorite. I liked son of Godzilla too. And the theme song for the hanabarbara cartoon is amazing

speaking of atomic breath it's funny how Legendary Godzilla went back to the original "vapor" style of breath, just done in modern effects, while Shin Godzilla went for the "beam" style Heisei Godzilla had but cranked it up to extreme levels where it can cut through the whole city

Both extremes back to back

Up from the depths!
Thirty stories high!
Breathing fire!
His head in the sky!

Godzilla! Godzilla!

Skreonk.

God damn this