How's Your Webcomic? #362: We Done It

You've got a webcomic, right? Share your WIPs, concept art, pages, scripts, whatever. Give and get comments and critique.

Thread Activity: Draw your comic characters in lingerie. Everyone looks good in lingerie. If you don't draw go buy some lingerie for yourself, fella, you deserve it. Or pick out a style of lingerie your oc would like/look cute in.

Alternatively, what would your ocs be like if they were animals? Or if they're already animals, what would they be like as humans?

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

myscriptfont.com/
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
discord.gg/rXMbdqP
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics
boysland.thewebcomic.com/archive/
amazon.com/Understanding-Comics-Invisible-Scott-McCloud/dp/006097625X
amazon.com/Making-Comics-Storytelling-Secrets-Graphic/dp/0060780940
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plot_device
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_narrative_techniques
crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/03/06/chapter-of-one-punch-man-manga-turned-into-incredible-animated-gif
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on: discord.gg/rXMbdqP

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics

weekend's over, these threads are dead during the week. delete this

>mickey's tail
no.. come to think of it, was it even IN epic mickey?
>goku's back insignia
absolutely, learning what each one meant was instrumental in my burgeoning weebhood
>naruto headbands
yeah theyre kinda awkward but i like the concept
>atom's hair is metal
is it really?
>the rest of those
those rankle me kind of hard actually.

i get that you wanna be unique here, i'm just saying that in animation it would fly since you'd see the ears move with his head, but in a comic.. it's really hard to tell they belong with him. I think the icecream cone ears worked better, if you liked those better. I wish this worked, i WANT it to work, but it's just so hard to see detached objects and know intuitively that they are floating above his head at all times, when there are complex backgrounds going on (as opposed to, say, a newspaper comic strip)

but i'm not the one that brought it up this time, I was the one talking to you last time, and I feel you've adequately explained your intentions. Just.. not surprising a new person didn't get it

How do you deal with thrusting readers into a complex setting without making everything confusing or adding too much expositional dialogue?
Do you prefer a slow but gradual flow of information or lore dumps and info pages or such?

Gradual flow of information, absolutely. Tell the bare minimum up front so they're not just bewildered, but slowly dish things out so they stay interested.

Slow gradual flow with an emphasis on the narratives, please. I like exposition best when its dolled out throughout the story rather than all at once. I think Noragami does a great job at feeding the readers exposition without making it dull or confusing. Whenever the story needs to introduce new worldbuilding concepts they have a chapter long story where that concept is introduced and explained, while also further developing the characters and plot. You don't have to do it this way, but in general, just try to space out your exposition and avoid dumps.

Dumps are usually boring to readers, especially if they come early on in the story. Plus, readers usually don't retain a lot of the info from dumps since they're easy to skim through and harder to care about than the main plot.

Give your readers a reason to care about the lore/worldbuilding, tie it in with normal dialogue, show your setting through your backgrounds, make it relevant to the immediate plot.

New comic....

I should say something different. I am making a cool design of a green girl.

Chapter 08 is up!

boysland.thewebcomic.com/archive/

why is comics so hard?

here's my newest page, just finished it the other night

this is neat! the only thing that bugs me is the dude with leaf hair, he could use some cleaning up
looks good! the only thing i would say is
-polish the lines a bit more
-the hands in a couple panels need work
-the gradient shading on the monster's mouth makes it look convex instead of concave
motivation. starting stuff is easy. seeing it through is another story
for me I realized that whats fun for me about drawing is just doing it stream of consciousness and drawing "freely"
when I have a plan written out and form to follow I feel like i'm working through a really confining mindset. drawing pages eventually starts to feel like work instead of relaxation / fun

Personal, I treat anthro spider as one of those people that set out traps and become dirty hoarders.

But, they also can be artists with their web. (sorry for the crappy doodle).

Thank you! I will fix it.

The most efficient way to show the most of a cube that you possible can is to show one of the corners. Y'dig?
Give people enough information that it hints at more, but also gives you a rough idea of what the rest is.

because it's lots of little drawings instead of one big one

Here's a tiny selection of doodles from some things I've been animating. Kicking the zim vibes into high gear here. I'm really happy with this simple jagged line style for doodles so far though.

and here's a few more of the resources I've done in this style today. Considering each drawing only took a few minutes I think it's looking pretty schway.

that's some consistent stylization right there. looks right out of a cartoon's imagination spot

Thanks! And that's exactly what it is. Whenever the narrator for this series goes on tangents this little monitor will drop down (as shown in this gif) and display little animations following what's being said.

what is this, homestuck meets invader zim?

Dupe, honestly all of the work and dedication you have put into this is amazing, I'm really excited for your comic. Do you have any estimated release date yet?

Awww, thanks that means a lot. I'm releasing these animated game reviews first to garner some sort of a following before starting the comic. Even though I'm not as passionate about it I think it will help the comic be more successful when it does start.

The game reviews should be launching in about a month or so and the comic will be released once I have enough of a following to justify upkeeping a site for it. The story is already done, most of the prepared script is done and a lot of the art is done I just want to make sure I choose the right time to start it. Which I'm hoping will be soon. I do this all completely on my own though so i'm not really going to rush it.

Slowly but surely this is what I've been working on.

Love this, you have a really pleasing style. The paneling on the second page is extremely confusing though.

how do you decide on panel layout? always seemed hard to me.

If you were to look at it again as a magical girl transformation sequence / Beetlejuice summoning would that help?

It's the second most difficult part next to deciding on the perspective angles.

It depends on the page. If there's going to be a lot of talking then I try to keep it simple with a bit of overlapping to keep it from being boring.

If there is a lot of action, then I usually try to mix a visually appealing layout with whatever it takes to portray the action I'm trying to get across on that page.

In this case I set a limit for myself of 3 pages, so page 2 is going to be the busiest panel wise.

>tfw no artist friend to collab with like in bakuman

This page is so good you don't even need a second page. It's a perfect self contained ministory. 10/10 pacing, nailed the punchline

Does she have a soul eater purse or am I seeing things?

amazon.com/Understanding-Comics-Invisible-Scott-McCloud/dp/006097625X

amazon.com/Making-Comics-Storytelling-Secrets-Graphic/dp/0060780940

youre lazy

it's true, send help

I've been drawn to more of a very decorated, adorned, more dignified kinda thing

They're all very fancy and live in temples and see themselves as the rightful rulers of the world. Designing a race that actually wears clothes is a massive can of worms. There's so much to draw.

To the guy in the last thread- I didn't buy or bot any followers, and I follow about 70 people.
Maybe the next time you're "not trying to be mean or anything brah" you should open with something other than "whose cock did you suck?"
Also, it will be at full 10k later today, still no dicks sucked.
best of luck with your art and comic, user- you will never see me in here again.

this guy's getting pretty triggered over some bantz, so maybe the other guy struck a chord of truth. what's his comic/social media? let's get to the bottom of this

>not your personal army

O mighty man with 3000 bot followers and no published comics, we do not deserve your presence

>3000
It's at 9923, right now user. I don't know why either.

Oh, hey--I thought we'd never see you here again!

bumparino
i think i have found some motivation :D

I want to start a webcomic. My father told me hell disown me if I become a musician or artist when I was 8. That scared me a lot.

Now I'm 19, broken, bipolar with 3 suicide attempts. I just got released from mental hospital. I want to start a webcomic because I have a story to tell. But I can't draw art. I drew a galaxy and it seems like a child's drawing and I tried drawing a face and I won't even post how it ended up.

Help I resisted the urge to make a noose with a belt whole day today.

I'm remastering some old strips and I'd like to take the opportunity to fix something I'm not entirely satisfied with.

Consider the panel layout I have here - The flow of dialogue is supposed to go "Let me tell you about... the Dungeon and its role in society" but because panel 1 is taller than panel 2, there is a tendency to read column 1 (P1 and title block) before column 2 ("Let me tell you about... monsters raid villages...").

How I can fix the flow from panel 2 to the title block?

Fortunately I can redo all the text and speechballoons without having to redraw anything. I could move panel 1 up a little, but it would get very close to the edges of the page. I also thought about dropping in some direction arrows, but that's my last resort.

Any suggestions? Redlines etc

Forgot picture

>so stupid he failed to kill himself THREE times
>thinks he can make a webcomic
kill yourself, try not to fuck it up this time

Alright

> I want to start a webcomic because I have a story to tell. But I can't draw art.

Then draw what you can. Make a start because you have a story to tell and you need to tell it.

Ignore this person and people like that.

Look remotely like a galaxy but if you want to get better at drawing start with proko (pirate premium course) and go with drawing box, cylinder, figure drawing portrait at the same time read some perspective books and then keep practice study and such.

I am also beginner and for single picture I draw I have to do shittons of drawings experimenting how will it look if I do it this or the other way.

The easiest way is to just draw however well you can but that wont make you improve unless you make this effort consciously.

>Captcha: Cumings Catalina

>I can't draw art.
then write instead

if you have passion for this story that should be enough man. Im sorry to say that we all have our own problems so dont expect anyone to just draw the thing for you uness you pay,you know? your galaxy isnt bad at all, looked like something from evas demon and im not trying to troll. if you have any skills at all just start trying to make some pages, im sure youve read some comics before. you just gotta start now!

>proko

Thats the guy and as far as teaching goes there is no teacher that will teach you fundamentals faster and swifter than proko.

writing is way harder.

says the guy that can't draw?

It's directing, except you're also the writer and actors, and the methods are different as well as poorly documented.

If you're unfamiliar with visual storytelling, sure.

I'm not him.

Methods are not really poorly documented, they called plot devices and narrative techniques and you can find it on wiki if you search and this is something I found when I googled "how you call chekov's gun" which was the only plot device I remembered.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plot_device
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_narrative_techniques

The real problem with writing at least for me is that you put yourself on a paper first and foremost.
Are you someone people want to listen to?
Are you smart?
Are you funny?
Chances are you neither [spoilers]dont worry, I am neither as well[/spoiler]
To write you need a wit and a way with words.
If its something personal you need to judge how you depict it in acceptable way because no matter how faithfully you represent the topic, it wont help if no one like it.

With writing rejection is more direct than with comic or single picture which is why I dont write.

Kek

I think they're talking about the visual elements of comic storytelling, rather than writing. For that, all there really is is Scott McCloud and Will Eisner (an maybe a few more I'm missing). It's a tiny reference pool for a medium that's been around 150+ years.

If you can storyboard for film, you can make a comic. 85% of the same principles apply, the other 15% is pretty obvious from the get go.

"cinematic comics" are the cancer killing sequential art

Dumb frogposter.

t. embyo

Haha, well, then I take it you can at least sort of follow what's going on.

The punchline is going to be on the third page though.

You'll end up with sterile was comics that way. Even 75 years ago we had artists working on comics that were, at the time, considered disposable media yet still pioneered techniques that are completely alien even to modern film. Inter-panel flow and coordination is a skill divorced from directing animation or film, as it relies on images in proximity rather than overlapping and replacing each other.

The "it's all the same" mentality is what leads to animators floundering when they try to make traditional comics. Part of the "difficulty" in making them is that, like video games, the guiding principles mostly have to be observed in other works since so few people have bothered to write about or study the structure and techniques of the medium in-depth.

The ghost of Eisner graces the moral realm

Good example here.
Its basically anime just in fewer frames.

crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/03/06/chapter-of-one-punch-man-manga-turned-into-incredible-animated-gif

Daily reminder that anything other than single panel vertical is not appreciable on phones.

Honey. It's a common phrase. A cheeky question. You know what it means.

Since this is the second time you've left the thread forever I guess maybe it will stick this time.

>what's his comic/social media? let's get to the bottom of this
Please. I am genuinely curious. I've got some work to get done now but I might go digging later.

One of my dreams is to code a responsive comic that adjusts the panels (divs) to fit whatever screen you're on

It's just a shitload of work I don't feel like implementing

Make few templates for few most common screen formats.

Oh I could template it easily, it's just the whole "fitting each comic into the template, panel by panel, and posting it" each time deal

If anyone knows CMS, and could make a GUI that like, makes this process easier once the template code is established...

This is remarkably frustrating. The basic idea I have would work best as a series of vertical panels, but it wouldn't work well on desktop computers and other elements of what I want to do make it not really suited to reading on the move.

While that is still, technically, a comic it loses a lot of the story telling comics can do that storyboards do not. It's mostly going to depend on what story you want to tell as to whether or not that's a detriment.

Stop reading comics on your phone

>network neighborhood
now that takes me back

i can't believe the ideas you come up with for this stuff
though since when do you need a steady boyfriend just to have a date for a dance?

>sterile comics

what does that mean?

>3 suicide attempts.
>not even one patricide attempt
you need to turn that fear into righteous anger. then turn that anger into a comic.

why not be a writer?

fucking drawing.
drawing is for chumps.

If you don't have someone to work with or share your ideas with for critique and suggestions, what can a guy do if he wants some help writing his story for his webcomic/ I know Sup Forums has a discord group, but I'm scared of sharing stuff here. Any other sites I can get critique or help from? Maybe the discord group isn't as bad as I think it is.

In a worst-case scenario:

-Most likely is arbitrarily chosen panel sizes with no regard to transition of time; what "looks cool"
-Very little to no intentional panel to panel transition variation
-a complete disregard for "the realm between the panels"
-A trend that will/has developed where writers reference the "camera" in their comic scripts and use film lingo

Essentially, "directed" comics without realizing why you're choosing what you choose within the medium of sequential art

Take a look around you. No one around here is particularly good. In doing comics and wanting to do something well you will improve. Make sure to get some art books or something and draw people.

Just do it. If you wait you will be that much behind. Plus art evolution in comics is pretty neat now. Especially if it's personal story.

This looks pretty smooth and clean and I'm way into its premise.
I'm afraid the flow doesn't work because of the simple fact that the lower left panel is lower than the lower right. Nobody ever goes UP while reading a comic.
Your only real choice is something like this

The discord's pretty good for crit help if you ask. They're biggest problem is some of them don't make comics. They're just there to shitpost. The same could probably be said for here though. If you figure out who's who you can disregard them and listen to the others.

there's a tuff kid discord group and a comfy one

youre more likely to find good feedback in the cool kid one, but there's also a bigger percentage of assholes

I'm too much of a pussy to go to /ic/ so I'll ask here.

How do you combine perspective and figure drawing?
I just don't understand it well

I usually don't use vanishing points when I draw something like pic related.
I use only bits of perspective like parallel lines and figuring out the relative location of the horizon; and I also think in forms.

when I set up the perspective grid, everything gets wonky and small.

yes, I've read perspective made easy and even payed to view an online video series of basic perspective in new master's academy.

pls help me, I feel like if I understand this, I can actually draw.

_ _ _ _ _ _.

By combining perspective and figure drawings, do you mean drawing figures at different perspectives or drawing figures on a background with perspective?

About time so action happened! I was wondering since so far there's been only a jailbreak. (I'm not complaining, I know what 10 or so pages every two weeks means.)

Keep up the good work! Also the glasses boy is cute!

you just combine them.

what's there to not understand?

Like anything else, that style can be used effectively. The thing is that a lot of people don't choose to compose their pages like that for precise moments of motion and detail, like Murata, but because they're only capable of composing action linearly and don't understand inter-panel relations.

There's nothing wrong with a writer describing POV as camera angles, it's just commonly done by people who don't realize they don't need to say it in their script.

I want to do both
whenever I draw the perspective grid first, the figure ends up looking fucked somehow (I think due to following vanishing points and horizon)

Page one, chapeter two is up!

Changing the format seems like a right decision to make...I feel a lot more comfy with it.

brb try to draw and show you.

post what you mean.

I've heard people throw around the suggestion of using beginner's guides to make up for bad old lengthy parts of one's comic, but what are some good ways of going about it?

Doing lots of new art for it seems like a waste of time, since you could just say fuck it and remake it at that point, but people won't want to read through a bunch of text to get caught up either.

damn that's really professional.

which is sad because phones can turn sideways
but the name of the game this century is 'have technology available, don't utilize it'