>still no word

So, this really is it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_rcmeMxxGYw
youtube.com/watch?v=snqQlTaXsTc
youtube.com/watch?v=iNXu6o2a2qg
youtube.com/watch?v=GQhYFNqp4nE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How the fuck did Furrydom: The Comic go on so long.

Goodbye old friend.
I'll miss you.
youtube.com/watch?v=_rcmeMxxGYw

youtube.com/watch?v=snqQlTaXsTc

Fpbp

Decent writing and likable characters can go a long way user. It had it's ups and downs (and all arounds) but for the time we enjoyed it. It gave the world of Sonic something big when the games never did (until Unleash). Then, Penders and his lawsuit came and fucked everything so hard that a reboot was needed. The comics might have been declining in sales at the time but I remember the Reboot turning off tons of readers. Despite the effort behind the creative team, we still lost 10+ years of story and characters with no chance of getting them back. But like I said, it was a fun run.

The least they could have done was give a 10 issue heads up so they could wrap things up.

Or anything really besides forcing them to end with something as lame as flashback issues. After abruptly ending the previous Unleashed story arc.

I thought it was confirmed the whole "email to fans" thing was bullshit

rest in popperinies to the spinoff we all got cheated out of.

That design for Eggman is just great.

that cover is a e s t h e t i c as fuck

Also it should be stressed that even after the Pendering the comic was still in decent shape.

Problem is it left them on thin ice with sega and Penders being hurtburt about his plan backfiring and not getting untold riches from Sega/Bioware/Archie encouraged a buddy that also worked on the comic to sue for his OC Donutsteels.

Also Archie is seriously sacrificing all kinds of shit to the alter of the Riverdale show

Oh yeah, forgot all about Penders's buddy, and Riverdale turned me off from the premise on day one. At the very least, we saw the Unleashed adaptation from start to finish while also getting a Fighters adaptation in there as well (didn't see Fighters coming in the comic at all, so the surprise was great).

Another thing that sucks is that the comics were the only way we would see Nack, Bean, Bark and Mighty anywhere in the franchise besides cameos, the Freedom Fighters had the cartoon but these guys? Long gone from now on. (Unless Forces pulls something big involving them).

Pretty bummed honestly. Bought the first #0 back when i was a kiddo and had a sub for like 15+ years. Moved away and still got every comic, special, crossover and mini until Genesis. If i could go back in time to when i met Ken at SDCC i would deck him instead of shaking his clammyass hand.

What year did you met him? Can't attack the guy if he technically didn't do anything yet.

I'm surprised the reboot actually harmed the comics. Yeah, most of the people who bailed are those who'd never see their favorite characters again, but you'd think new readers would give it a shot, considering the problem they had with the comics had fucked off along with Penders.

>I'm surprised the reboot actually harmed the comics.
If you look at the sales, it really didn't. It was on the same decline it had been on for a few years. The comic didn't dip hard until the three month hiatus a year or so back.

That guy's stories were shit from the start, man. He deserved a smack for writing garbage for impressionable youngsters.

2002 I think. I was poor as fuck but he was peddling Spaz original pencil sketches of some of the best old covers and credit pages. He was feeling pretty smug i think because he was working on his Knuckles series pet project which I'm embarrassed to admit I loved.

I read some of Knuckles as part of last years WSoP, that was some zany shit.

Oh yeah, didn't he want Knuckles to be the main character which is why we have all those donutsteels echidnas?

How are you going to play like Sonic represents furrydom the most when the fandom's early years was largely based out of comics.

He pushed for Knuckles to get minis, so he could push the sales of those minis to validate an ongoing.

And then the ongoing tanked in less than three years and he blamed everyone but himself and basically dedicated half the main comic from that point on to his extremely poorly paced plotlines.

You know, that looks really cute, but the Adults Only clues me in that I shouldn't read this shit.

Actually the adults only thing is the because sex is depicted. Other than that, it's about the title character living her life when she starts getting involved with all sorts of crazy things.

Someone on /vg/ called Archie this morning & was given this response: Everything is delayed & they're working on it.

Another user called Archie & Was told: There was never an email about sending subscribers an update on the comic at the end of April.

Still strange how we got nothing, pretty sure the people working on it also have to keep their mouths shuts because of contracts.

there was going to be another Honey issue too

Remember, the 90 billion!

And here I was looking forward to seeing more of Eggman's new edition of his Egg Bosses.

I always thought it was an amusing bit of irony that the earliest issues parodied the hell out of superhero comics, then years later Paul Kaminski unironically called it a superhero comic and treated it as such.

I don't think anyone was expecting it to last more than a year when it started. Honestly Im still amazed it's even running at all.

I can't think of a tie in comic that's lasted a fraction as long

I think Conan is the second-most prolific, but Sonic passed it in number of issues a while ago, and it certainly has it beat in terms of consecutive issues.

I for one embrace our new Sonic the Comic Online overlords.

Print is dead anyways. I can't think of the last time I actually even read a physical comic.

b-bump, I'm still concerned

THERE'S HOPE

>There was never an email about sending subscribers an update on the comic at the end of April

The best part about this ruse is that any subscriber would've instantly called bullshit, but we're all filthy pirates.

On one hand, you have Sonic, who has parents, an uncle, a backstory and everything. On the other hand you have Knuckles who has a very barebones backstory and spends lots of time away from the Freedom Fighters shit. Penders saw that an interpreted it as Knuckles being a blank slate he could do anything with. So he did.

Especially since he recruited Wendy would have enjoyed seeing her and Thunder compete to prove who kisses ass more.

Might be hard to win against someone who's literally a dog

To be fair, I bought the book for years. I did have a subscription for a short time but quickly realized I could get the book faster through my LCS.

It's only after the Pendering that I called it quits on buying the ongoing altogether.

It had a good ru-

It had a run. Ian Flynn is leagues better than most writers, but even after the reboot it seemed to have its feet in a bunch of doors.

At the very least, this is an important lesson for any comic company - never hire a Penders.

>I can't believe we put up with that autistic manchild for so long, let's make sure we never hire another one of tho-

>who has parents
He didn't have those until Ken gave him parents.
>a backstory
Beyond meeting the FFs and helping them, he didn't have that either until Ken added it.

The real answer is Knuckles is a spinoff character, so he wouldn't be policed as much, but he's still nearly as much of a major character as Sonic.

They did weird shit with both Sonic and especially Tails, if SEGA gave a fuck you'd think they would've done something about Tails turning into the Hulk

There was just something about Enchiladas and Penders. A sick, perverse thing.

Sonic Team could engineer that cover art into a Sonic Forces Collector's Edition.

they could bundle it with the few last issues of the comic

It's gotta suck for Ian Flynn. Forced to do a comic about Archie sticking his dick into The (not)Grundy because the Sonic comics were grinded to a halt

Gotta admit, I'll miss it.

Mainly for being one of the first comics I ever read.

Was it really so that Penders told Fulop to sue Archie? Why would he implore him to do such a thing? What would Penders benefit from that? Wouldn't it ruin his reputation even further?

Spite?

>Decent writing

at no point in the comic's history.

If you think even Flynn qualifies as "decent" then evidently you've never read any other comics in your life. Maybe he was "decent" by the metric of Archie's Sonic comic, but when Pender is the "bad" end of that spectrum, that's a hell of a quality curve.

The book was NEVER objectively good by any rational measure.

But what does it stem from? He won that lawsuit regarding those OC:s, so why even go further than that? Or is it unknown the reasoning behind it?

>Bioware
wait, what?

Flynn has easily been better than some of the shit churned out by DC or Marvel.

Bioware did a Sonic RPG that was mostly trash and introduced the (not)Dark Legion with Julie-Su and Dr. Zachary/Finitevus expies.

Ken got butt hurt that his knock-off characters got knock-offs and went after everyone for royalties. He was way too late to go after Bioware, but it still put him on Sega's radar.

Only he knows for sure. Maybe he's jjust drunk with power.

Referencing is not the equivalent of good writing.

>LOL he referenced the OVA!
>LOL he referenced the MAH EMMEWUDS comics!
>LOL he referenced an obscure piece of production art!
>LOL he referenced the Mama Robotnik meme!

That's all Flynn does. He references things and passes that off as content. He's Family Guy-tier.

No, he does a hell of a lot more than that. Plus half of those are by Jon Gray obsessions or in the Off Panels.

As I figured, you're one of those handful of very vocal fantards with a raging hate-boner for him.

>As I figured, you're one of those handful of very vocal fantards with a raging hate-boner for him.

And you're one of those raging autists so blinded by obsession that you cannot perceive legitimate faults in Flynn's writing abilities.

See? I can use ad hominems too.

No one wins in a Sonic thread.

Ian may be good by the Sonic Scale, but "better than Ken Penders" does not mean he's a legitimately good writer.

He's just better than literal steaming garbage.

>then years later Paul Kaminski unironically called it a superhero comic and treated it as such

Well golly gee, who the fuck saw that coming? It's been known for a long time that Kaminski was desperately trying to emulate the way DC and Marvel manage their comics, which is why the Worlds Unite crossover was such a colossal clusterfuck. And IIRC he left for DC Comics shortly before Worlds Unite was released.

So you're just gonna ignore the character development, world building & other things Flynn does, huh? Whatever it takes to shitpost, I guess.

To be honest, it's gonna be easy for comic book companies never to hire Penders. After that lawsuit stunt with Sega and Archie, he made sure to burn all the bridges.

And here we go! Can we have a running tally on the use of "straw man," "mary sue" and the other terms you'll trot out in your attempts to prove you're a big boy?

Are you with the anti-Archie club, or were you one of those manchildren booted from Flynn's forum? The total disregard of what he attempted makes me lean towards the former, but the "ad hominem" drop so early on makes me think the latter.

Either way, eat shit. I'm so very sick of seeing you specifically pop up into every goddamn Sonic thread.

>character development
Ona non-centerpiece characters. Because of """"""SEGA mandates""""""

And DC can fucking have him.

Nonsense, Shadow and Rogue go through crazy amounts of character development, even up until the end.

Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, they all go through some degree of it, so Archie pretty much just said "yeah, no" to that mandate.

Speaking of which, is it true Rouge kisses him? Has that issue been out yet?

>He called me out for using ad hominem attacks instead of substance in my retort!
>Better use more ad hominem attacks to drive the point home.

Pure, unfiltered Aspergers. But I expect no less from the Sonic fandom.

>This turd tastes better than that turd!
>Therefore this turd is a gourmet meal!

That is the logic you utilize in defending Ian Flynn's writing ability. Wise up.

Are you sure that's development and not establishing?

But Flynn isn't good at ANY of those things.

His idea of pacing has always been shit and NEVER improved. Even before the Pendering, the Mecha Sally and Death Egg Chase arc had droned on for over a fucking year with no resolution in sight. Just Sonic chasing the Death Egg, "wah wah Sally", and never getting anywhere. And fighting the Krudzu over and over and over and over.

And after the Pendering we got that WONDERFUL arc where they spent half a fuckin year restoring their memories of the pre-reboot universe only to immediately forget everything and render half a year's worth of storytelling completely meaningless. "Character development"? Hilarious.

>It's not Ian's fault! That was the EDITOR!
>The EDITOR is the reason Ian has never written anything good! If he didn't have an EDITOR he'd be a good writer, I just KNOW IT!

Okay kid, whatever you say.

>at no point in the comic's history.

I love this meme, because it's never said by anyone who actually read the early comic.

Please, tell me what's bad about Angelo DeCesare's writing? He set out to make good gag and adventure strips and he did a bangin' job.

His long term pacing is terrible, but the guy wrote a couple of pretty good one and two parters. A couple of the Sonic Universe arcs are pretty good too. To say he never wrote anything good is just disingenuous.

My favorite part of the "Ian was never good" shitpost routine is how everyone shuts up when actual knowledge of the book is required to discuss things further.

I hate Amy and Shadow's my favorite

I can easily masturbate to this

youtube.com/watch?v=iNXu6o2a2qg

Is this you?

>white

Nope

Seems like brought up several specific examples of Flynn's shit writing.
My favorite part of the "Ian is a great writer" shitpost routine is how everyone ignores when actual examples of his terrible writing are brought up because it's inconvenient to their delusions.

If the comic continues, then he should just stop creating these extremely long arcs altogether and just keep everything in a few issues. That's pretty much what he was doing when he first started on the series and I still think those issues were his best work.

There's a reason the shorter arcs like the Fighters adaptation and the Universe arcs are more praised than the others.

Yeah, just go ahead and keep ignoring
since it would require an actual discussion instead of listing points off at each other in an endless, spiraling series of shitposts. No need to acknowledge anything that isn't completely disagreeing with you in every way; it's easier and more fun to just shove words into people's mouths and continue shitposting.

That was when Sega didn't pay much attention to the comic, which is why Archie was able to do all that crazy shit with the comic until the legal tangle with Penders, which made Sega pay more attention to the comic. The downside is, they were trying to turn the comic into a bland, lifeless advertisement for the games, but Archie's staff managed to make a sort of compromise (carry on with their own stories, but incorporate the plotlines from the games somehow).

I mean, look at the shit they were soliciting: he was clearly heading in that direction because of the constant criticism of his arcs. The next "arc" of Universe was going to be four different one shots and the comic up to 300 looked to be mostly standalone stories as well.

user, literally nobody gives a fuck about DeCesare except you.

I think he was just doing one shot issues until 300 and then moving back to something big afterwards but I'm not sure.

[F]

Don't talk shit, bumpyhead.

Post the first issue you ever read.

youtube.com/watch?v=GQhYFNqp4nE

>someone disagrees with me
>brings up specific examples from issues of the comic to back his claims
>LOL must be a shitposter!

You're delusional, kiddo.

This franchise predates furrydom
In that you might call it the instigator, but it didn't start out as it

Shadow and Rogue only go through the character development they went throguh in the games

His problem was that he wrote up this giganting fucking backstory and history of the world first, and loved it so much he wanted to introduce us to him as quickly as possible. He said himself he would try to limit the creation of new characters but he obviously couldn't help himself

why cant archie just say what we know happened

I think THEY don't want to admit it, not just to readers, but to themselves. I think they think they can salvage this mess.

>I can't think of a tie in comic that's lasted a fraction as long

There isn't one. Sonic currently holds the record for longest running video game based comic tie in.

No, it was a problem before the reboot. Remember the extremely long Iron Dominion and Mecha Sally arcs that meandered around for several issues without really doing anything?

Issue 11. The one where Evil Sonic first appears.

Oh, to look back in hindsight at what that issue unleashed...

Literally everything that Ken Penders has done in the comic industry after the lawsuit has been either out of sheer autism or sheer spite. He doesn't benefit from anything he does anymore but he's delusional enough to believe that he has some moral high ground and somewhere out there, he has a dedicated fan base that supports his every move.

It's not about reputation. The man is just a pure idiot.