Superman > Batman

Superman > Batman

Superman represents hope. He doesn't spend his time beating up criminals, he does things like saves people from burning buildings

Also, Man of Steel was a good movie

No, Superman is better than Batman because he's an actual character and not some edgy power fantasy self insert.

Isn't Superman an edgy power fantasy?

>Superman
>Edgy

Power fantasy implies we are meant to relate to him to put yourselves in his shoes. The point of Superman is the fact that we /aren't/ supposed to relate to him.

Superman's a huge power fantasy self insert.

Lots of betas who like to believe that they're actually an alpha merely pretending to be losers and that they only need a chance to show their inner alpha-like qualities. When that finally happen they'll impress everyone around them and be popular.

You can't really compare the two heroes that well. Superman is the better hero for sure, but that does not make him objectively the better character. Batman can easily be argued as more complex, therefore a more interesting hero so Batman > Superman. It's best not to really have these discussions because it usually just derives into fanboy drivel.

Also, I do not think Man of Steel is a good representation of the character, therefore not a good superman movie. Because it is basically a strawman of superman constructed by Snyder to deconstruct it. BUT I did say that it was my opinion.

It's very easy to relate to Superman. See . Every loser like to believe that they're merely pretending to be the meek Clark Kent and that they're actually a Superman. People just don't know about it.

>He doesn't spend his time beating up criminals

80% of pretty much every Superman consist of him punching a guy in the face.

I love shit-flinging on Sup Forums.

I actually love Superman. I say that shit because that's how i self-insert as him.

I like both, though as I age, the optimism and hope Superman represents resonates more with me than Batman. So, while ultimately most of my DC shelf is Batman, I expect over the next decade my Superman collection will come to rival or surpass my Batlection.

It's odd that, yeah, in many ways Clark is far more relatable than Bruce.

It's practically impossible for me to empathize with what it would be like to lose both my parents in a shooting, be a billionaire raised by my butler, and end up dressing up as a Bat and beating criminals half-death while brooding like a emo manchild into my thirties and forties.

Being a kid who always felt out of place and raised by parents who loved me? The fantasy of having power, and the question of how I'd use it? Hell, the challenge to use what I have in a noble and right manner. That shit I can work with.

I mean, really, who would really WANT to be or even empathize with Batman?

Yes Superman is better than Batman in everyday. Batman himself would admit it.

>Man of Steel was a good movie

Further proof that Sup Forums has no film criticism skills

>It's practically impossible for me to empathize with what it would be like to lose both my parents in a shooting, be a billionaire raised by my butler, and end up dressing up as a Bat and beating criminals half-death while brooding like a emo manchild into my thirties and forties.

How about empathizing with a man that overcame a tragedy and rebuild himself as a better man through sheer will, eventually becoming a symbol to others?

Because Batman losing his parents, being rich and beating up criminals are just meaningless facts. It's like saying you can't relate to Superman because you're not an alien, doesn't have super-powers or beat-up alien conquerors.

Who got this idea that Batman also doesn't represent optimism and hope?

You've a guy that keep giving second chances to the worst people the world has to offer, that keep adopting damaged youngsters and giving them the means to better their lives, that sacrifice every waking moment of life and family fortune for his city believing he can fix it, that has become a symbol of justice and security for every citizen, and that is always helping other heroes in every way he can while trusting that they symbolize the future of the world.

I mean, when in all that has this sort of guy become some... what was it again? Emo manchild?

And it doesn't even need to be Batman, pretty much every Justice League hero represent hope and optimism in a way. Superman doesn't hold a patent on that.

Clark beats up people all the time.

But yeah I like Supes. He's Mr. Rogers-lite with god like powers. I mean, yeah it's somewhat hard to relate to him on a superficial level because we can't swim through the sun or shoot lasers or what not but deep down he's just a humble guy trying to make the world a better place.

Sure, but those details are his motivation AND how he even has the resources to do what he does.

>How about empathizing with a man that overcame a tragedy and rebuild himself as a better man through sheer will, eventually becoming a symbol to others?

So... every hero ever, basically, except we are using that for Batman because everything else is details?

And no, it's not like saying I shouldn't be able to relate to Superman because he's an alien, as I don't have an issue with Wayne being american or white. And the powers are the sort of fantasy every young boy has, and thus somehow brings back that wonder, and just ends up being cathartic.

I like Bruce well enough. I'm enjoying the shit out of Gotham right now, as we are finally seeing him start to turn into the man he'll become. But I also watched a rerun of Superman the other day, and the main score and Reeves damn near had me in manly tears. There is something moving about Superman. Maybe it's the Christ/Messiah allegory and John Williams. Except, even Smallville and Man of Steel/BvS (the few moments where Clark is smiling or doing something heroic, like pulling an entire ship on the ice) make me feel like a happy kid in me. Batman appeals to my inner cynic, and sometimes I just like to be happy and optimistic.

I will give you that, I guess. He's just never moved past his grief, and it defines his crusade, in a hellish possessed city. I guess we can blame the Arkham games and the recent 'I Am Suicide' for the shift in mentality.

Batman is very much about hope and optimism, on reflection, but it's a very twisted shadow of it. His villains alone kind of shit of the redemption ideal that everyone can be better. It just doesn't work. The hope Batman represents is that he might deal with the Joker before he brutally murders you on a whim. Gotham Central is the personification of this.

>Sure, but those details are his motivation AND how he even has the resources to do what he does.

So? The same is truth for Superman. The fact that he has powers are his motivation to put them into a good and how he's able to do what he does.

>So... every hero ever, basically, except we are using that for Batman because everything else is details?

And the fantasy of a man who feel out of place and have powers that he needs to decide how to use them is incredible original how?

So i don't understand how you can disregard Batman due to superficiality while overcoming this same thing with Superman.

You can just be honest and say you prefer Superman as a character.

>Batman is very much about hope and optimism, on reflection, but it's a very twisted shadow of it. His villains alone kind of shit of the redemption ideal that everyone can be better. It just doesn't work.

You say that as if Superman managed to reform all his villains. Even Lex Luthor, who's playing the role of a hero now, will eventually turn heel like he has done before.

>The hope Batman represents is that he might deal with the Joker before he brutally murders you on a whim.

Or that he'll stop the Joker from murdering you. Superman doesn't always save people. He only get to fight the big monster after the city was already destroyed and the people there killed.

...user, I own all the Batman movies, half BTAS, 3 of the 8 models on my Sup Forums shelf are Batman (one one of the others is Nightwing), two thirds of my DC collection is Batman's greatest hits (Year One, Long Halloween, ect) with the only Superman book being All-Star, and Gotham is one of the few TV series I bother to follow.

I just find something inherently moving about Superman.

It sounds like like you just don't agree with my reasoning. In which case, fair enough. But I assure you, I like both, and with my money where my mouth is, you would assume I vastly preferred Bats. All I will concede is my love of Superman is growing by the year, wheras my love of Batman has always been fairly static. Perhaps my newfound enthusiasm for him is showing through in my posts.

Luthor is better than both of those freaks and is the true hero DC needs

You just outed yourself as a casual. At least now nobody will waste any time taking you seriously.

Yes, yes, no.

>No, you must buy more shit to fill up your mancave.
>Jewing intensifies.

Supes is and always will be a shit character who is only ever well written when he is a psychotic tyrant in elseworlds books. This will be called bait solely because Sup Forums and most cape readers feel like Supes is their dad, and cannot be shit on.

Well user I feel like you came on too strong but I do kinda agree with you I will always associate Superman with the idea that Humanity have to be bad in comparison to him for him to look good maybe that's why most Superman fans don't like Batman cause he is the pinnacle of human achievement he is basically what Lex wants to be and truthfully if more people were like Batman(the self determination part not the emo part) no one would need Superman and his best stories reflect this, Kingdom Come being chief among them he is only able to look good because all the heroes have gone to shit(especially Wonder woman) so he looks good by comparison.

Man of steel was shit. The new Snyder Batman is also shit. But Batman is the better character. He is more realistic, could actually exist someday, and his flaws are real. I.e. He would be a criminal himself.

You can't be a superman fan and like a movie that got nothing right about superman by trying to go batman edge.

>Man of Steel was a good movie

>Superman represents hope.
>he does things like saves people from burning buildings
Pick one