What's the Sup Forums equivalent to this?

What's the Sup Forums equivalent to this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nRSCY_uR1v4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Wonder Showzen

I just happened to finish Eva a few days ago. What're your guys' thoughts on it?

timepieceguys

I always go with Moral Orel, mostly due to the show's transformative nature.

It goes from somewhat crude parody of Davy & Goliath claymation cartoons, into some real dark drama and tender moments.

There's episodes about Orel raising the dead and learning that its wrong for people to be naked, to the event horizon that is Nature. From a love plot between two different brands of protestant, to a sweet story about how Reverend Putty meets the daughter he never knew he had.

youtube.com/watch?v=nRSCY_uR1v4
this bit got to me.

And wahey if you want one more comparison, they both got a lot of Judeo Christian mumbo jumbo.

Moral Orel

In terms of influence, Watchmen.

I hated the characters but enjoyed the show. Anyone else share my opinion?

steven universe

I need to rewatch it that's for sure.

I remember the first time I saw it, I've just gone from Catholic School to public school, and something about the kids fighting monsters called angels made it seem, delightfully blasphemous.

But that said my esteem for the series has shifted up and down a lot. For a mecha show that deconstructed other mecha shows, that had some disdain for the genre being a vehicle for escapist fantasies and merchandising, it has become the most merchandised mecha show there ever was.

I think that's the point

The show is the characters

If Anno had stayed depressed during the entire run, it would've been perfect, but since he stopped being suicidal about halfway through making it, it turned into absolute garbage, garbage that is so bad that it hasn't been fixed after three major attempts with a fourth attempt on the way.

Moral Orelmind

Yeah, the middle bit, perhaps 13-22 roughly were really interesting and entertaining to me. It teetered on the edge of mecha action and interesting psychological drama, before going into pure insanity. Still man, the last few episodes are some next level shit.

Eva is one of those shows that you simply have to watch the whole thing; watching the first few episodes and calling it a day is not done. But I'll have to give that Eva, despite many flaws, has admirable ambition and scale.

Yes, and that's the issue with every high-production anime that has followed. Evangelion is the very definition of "lightning in a bottle", and because of the standard it set for pseudo-intellectuals and highly-creative types each anime is derivative of the plot-twists, grandiose themes, and the need for perpetual suffering. It's done more harm for Japanese animation than good.

Well, that and a severe economic downturn that's led to a nearly cultural-wide level of suicidal depression and sense of futility, and a declining local anime market for anything other then shut-in single otaku and thus most shows safely deciding to be shallow T&A shows, harem shows, animated adaptions of light novels that are harem or T&A stories, or remakes of earlier anime.

My biggest problem with the show is how they portray the athiest as the smartest, most intelligent, caring person in the show
At least give her glaring faults like the other characters damnit

One of my favorite anime but mostly for the aesthetic.

She was going to but the series was cancelled

Well, firstly, Evangelion is a cartoon about depression, existentialism, and communicating with others to transcend self induced depression.

The EVA units, the religious symbolism, the hard science, and violent content are all window dressing.

Whoever, said Morel Orel is the Sup Forums equivalent of Evangelion is 100% right.

Morel Orel is show about human nature framed as a Davey and Goliath parody.

Loved it, i was fourteen when i first saw it on adult swim, i really loved the long pauses of silence, the fights, the Eva's, angels it was really a great show.

Agree, but

>the hard science
It's a show about soul magic forcefields. There's nothing remotely hard science about NGE.

I think he means the meticulous mechanical design and considering how things would work in real life. That's pretty much all hard sci-fi is.

>hard science
Eva is softer than a 60s DC comic.

Garbage. Everyone in the show was autistic. I don't care about le psychology memes, I had a depressive life but I can't still relate to anyone.

Overrated hipster-ish garbage.

Love it but I don't really discuss it much because most of the people I come across who do like it don't watch much other mecha stuff and don't like it for the same reasons I do and a lot of people who do like mecha stuff unfairly shit all over it because they dislike the fanbase.

Well, the serie follows Shinji's mental state.
At first he's afraid to be hurt so he barely has any relationship with other people and thus is depressed because he wants to have relationships.
Then, he gained more self-confidence little by little. He starts deepening his relationship and smiling. The atmosphere of the serie is lighter.
And finally, he's betrayed by two important persons and not only he's depressed again but he just doesn't care about people anymore.

The interesting thing about episode 25 and the first part of episode 26 is to watch them again after having seen The end of Evangelion. The movie is what Anno wanted to do for the ending of the serie but was not allowed by the tv channel. So what he did is rather than show us the events, he shows us what the main characters feel during the events.

This is very Akira-esque.

I miss the detail level of 90s and 80s anime. Things got so bland recently

Asking this question is a meme, and a rather old one too.

Haven't watched it since I was 14-15. I think it was best to watch it at that age since I was the same age as Shinji, I don't know how much I'd enjoy it now that I'm older and really really tired of hearing about depression because of everyone I know on the internet.

The best looking 80s/90s anime was often made over-budget, not making it back. The industry had high level of confidence, so a lof of money poured into beautiful productions. After the 90s, the sheer # of shows produced increased by a fuckton. Quantity takes away from quality. Also, producers became more aware of actually making a profit, so highly detailed productions because very rare.

Also, a lot of older films had people working overtime for little pay. Crazy people, basically. Modern animators (those in Japan) tend to be more aware of not over-working.

To summarize, the best looking shows of 80s and 90s could only be made at that time. It was a special time.

FPBP

Is Eva the Dark Souls of anime?

*highly detailed productions became very rare

The Incal if you mean equivalent in terms of esoteric sci-fi satirical horror

Moral Orel or Bojack Horseman if you mean equivalent in terms of angst

The Venture Bros if you mean equivalent in terms of poignant deconstructionist exploitation

As for something that combines all of the above with a sizable cultural impact and reputation on par with Eva? I can't help you there. Watchmen, maybe, but I don't think that appropriately fits.

Nadia and Gunbuster are better