Tristar's "Godzilla"

Did the animated series make up for the film's failure, or was the damage too severe?

Other urls found in this thread:

filbarlow.deviantart.com/
scifijapan.com/articles/godzilla-2-story-treatment/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I dont know OP, wheres your DVD copy of Godzilla 2: Revenge Of The Fish?

Too severe for a recovery.

Was referring more to the monster itself.

The series is one of the best Godzilla things ever made, but most fans won't even give it a try because of the movie. Darn shame.

The series is fantastic, and baby Zilla is a proper kaiju.

I can't hate the movie. I loved it too much as a kid. Plus Zilla's design is kick ass.
And the cartoon is fantastic

I still have some of the toys

the monster design was so good

This show is pretty great, it had a lot of cool monster designs and is actually deserving of the name "Godzilla".

It redeems the monster, anyway. He's worthy of the name 'Godzilla'.

>mfw we got our state's first kaiju from this show

Whatever happened to this guy, anyway? He designed stuff for Godzilla, Extreme Ghostbusters, and MiB, then he just kinda disappeared.

This was by the same studio as Extreme Ghostbusters and MIB The Series. Wanted to see a crossover as a kid.

Was bitten by the Patreon bug, apparently.

Hey, I recognize some of those from the end credits.

The ones that made ghastly moaning noises and terrifying wails.

Before they replaced it with the theme song.

neat

Even as villains of the week, the monsters in that show are better than the ones legendary is making now

filbarlow.deviantart.com/

It was fantastic for it's time, did above and beyond to save the movie and justify it, and there was real love in a lot of it.

Sadly though, I don't think it was popular enough to stop Zilla from falling into a place of Jarjar level hate.

Fun fact: since those monsters were never gonna be on the show, the crew named them after real Toho Kaiju. From right to left: Gigan, Manda, Megalon, and...uh, Gus.

>Sadly though, I don't think it was popular enough to stop Zilla from falling into a place of Jarjar level hate.
At least the comics helped with his rep.

>Godzilla goes SKREONK
>Zilla goes SKRENk
I don't know why but that made me laugh

>in G2: the baby-Zilla was going to grow up and have kids in Australia
>was going to have a runt who would serve as a Godzooki-esque baby animal
>it was then going to fight a gigantic mutant termite queen dubbed "Queen Bitch" on monster island
>mfw this was all written by a guy that worked on the animated Tarzan movie

Is the full script available online? I love reading about cancelled stuff like ET 2 being a horror movie and The Thing TV Miniseries

Found it.
scifijapan.com/articles/godzilla-2-story-treatment/

Ya know they also had an idea for the third one? Godzillas would have become the dominant species on the planet, and whats left of humanity would try to fight back.

It's pretty average as show, but it did its job. Had a few stand out episodes like the one with S.C.A.L.E., Monster Wars, and the one where they go into the future and shit's fucked. Oh, also the one where Zilla gets a girl friend for a day, but then Gamera ruins everything

Definitely redeemed Zilla in my eyes, and wished for studio to give him another shot.

For a brief second I thought you said "Jaguar level of hate" and was about to inform you how wrong you were about my nigga Jet Jaguar.

>post-apocalyptic kajiu battles
I like it. Would be weird if their mutation rate was increased to the point that, when we get to the third movie, they start to diversify into different forms. Or maybe different species have become affected by this time.

I think the Japanese may have watched this show and ripped off the plot of "resurrecting the original Godzilla as a cyborg that fights the current one" for one of the movies

>The series is one of the best Godzilla things ever made
This.
Gave it's version of Zilla a personality closer to the Heroic Showa Godzilla.
Took ideas from the Hanna Barbera cartoon series like G following a team of Scientist around & managed to make it feel natural & organic.
Created a large original assortment of awesome villain monsters with only 2-3 that homage the Toho villains,
Managed to make most of the cast of the 98 film non annoying.
All around solid consistent animation.

Also it reinforced Zilla as best boy.
Apologies if the webm is janky. it's my first one.

Jesus fuck. This may sound cool on paper but how the hell were they supposed to film this without a massive budget.

They probably assumed the first one would be a huge hit and happily hand over as much money as Emmerich wanted to make the sequel.

Zilla Jr is really cute in this show, especially considering he's the size of a skyscraper.

The Godzilla anime film that is coming up will have a similar plot, just farther down the road.

Yeah, reminds me of Godzilla Cataclysm. Good comic.

Which movie is that?

Godzilla X Mechagodzilla.

It's basically Urobuchi's stock plot at this point. He has done pretty much the exact same thing in Gargantia and Expelled From Paradise.

Reminder Godzilla 1998 was better than any Godzilla Japan made except for the original and the only ones who think otherwise are Power Ranger fans.

Junior deserves happiness

Bump

I would like the series to be continued in some way

Trips of truth

Mechagodzilla 3 specifically.

The intro to that movie was actually really strong, and the French side of things was great. After the scene when Broderick is talking about how Manhattan is a unique island that doesn't exist anywhere else is when the film started falling flat.

This.

>Did the animated series make up for the film's failure

The movie never failed in my opinion. I thought it was a great Godzilla movie.

The only people who besmirch it are die hard Zilla fans who basically screamed 'NOT MUH' so hard that the japs went and included a monster of similar design in one of their movies just to shit on the American version.

The cartoon was pretty good too.

The series was so fucking good, too bad it didn't get an ending, why did they never renew shows for a third season around that time?

>That time Toho literally rebranded it just to kill it off within 14 seconds

wait
did whatsisface plagiarize that design for the cloverfield monster?

>All this praise for 98 ITT

I knew Sup Forums had shit taste in kaiju movies but come the fuck on

They really embarrased themselves with their photoshop Zilla

Plus, it wpuld have been nice to see Zilla jr in final wars

Hey, you ever heard of the Star Wars prequels?

Even its concept art was shitty in comparison to Godzilla's.

>implying that 98's godzilla wasn't pretty decent remake of the beast from 20,000 fathoms

Bump

Easily one of my favorite cartoons as a kid. Watched some episodes the other day and it holds up extremely well.

You idiots don't know Zilla in Final Wars was PURPOSEFULLY made to look like shit, and beaten in 10 seconds?

Known that for years. Just found it interesting to show.

Was he gonna have atomic breath?

Doesn't look likely.

The series was really decent for what it was and the new kaijus had great designs. They gave 'Zilla' a personality fitting for a Godzilla and he got back atomic breath... and I loved how it was Green to show he was a different beast than the big G.

I also must state that although his Kaiju design is terrible for representing Godzilla, I love the design and think if he was introduced as a separate Kaiju with his animated personality he would have been widely embraced.

He was laughable in Final Wars, but that was intentional and funny. I would love to see Zilla show up in another movie and be more of a threat though. He was based as hell in the IDW Rulers of Earth comic.

This shit is SO bad, glad we got the tv series instead

The only thing I didn't like about the cartoon series was that hey didn't even bother trying to do their own versions of Godzilla's classic foes.

No Megallon, Hedora, Anguiras, Baragon, Manda, Radon, ect.

I feel like the new monsters in the 2014 Godzilla were Gigan.

They look like a reboot design for Gigan without making him Godzilla with fishhook hands, cylon eyes and wings.

isn't that just the plot of the upcoming anime?

Also, watch the Godzilla sequel have a scene where they praise Godzilla for defeating the two Gigans in San Francisco.

He actually offered a sort of 'class' on DeviantArt for INSANELY cheap. I'm talking like....$40 or something. With it, he'd give you a few lessons on how to draw, and then he'd draw an OC of yours. INSANE bargain, and super nice guy.

Noice. Would love to do so, but I'm not exactly a fast learner when it comes to drawing without a reference.

>mfw they basically made taz into a kaiju
>it's actually a good design

You know what's weird?

This show was actually dubbed and broadcast in Japan (on a satellite network).

The Japanese were SO VOCAL about hating the Tristar Godzilla movie, I find it really weird that Toho would expend the effort to dub and broadcast the sequel cartoon for Japanese audiences.

Maybe a last-ditch effort to see if they'd reconsider?

I can only assume the response was, at best, tepid

The show is still the best Kaiju-oriented cartoon out there. Definitely made up for the movie.

Never read anything about the reception of the cartoon in Japan. The dub seem to be rare, too, since all the vids on Nico Nico are from the English version.

Personally, I think once Toho rebranded the character as a unique monster named Zilla and not a version of Godzilla, there really shouldn't be any ill will toward him. He's no longer "besmirching" the name of Godzilla and is just another monster in the Toho roster. In that capacity, I think he has the potential to be pretty cool.

>Not Kumonga or Spiga

How do all ya'll feel bout 70s Godzilla cartoon?

It's basically the exact same series, but with shittier animation.

So basically a shitty version of the animated series.

>People think this

Tristar one wins. Having a sexy french spy waifu instead of Godzooky really gives it an edge.

I want a team up of Godzilla 2014 and Gino with gypse danger,

I like 2014 design.

God bless Matt Frank.

This

I kind of like that, honestly. Zilla Jr. really wasn't the Godzilla we know and love, in the end. He was basically an AU version of Godzilla, so it's appropriate that he had his own lineup of enemies. Not to mention the designs were great.

Oh fug, I just remembered that she dropped into a fissure with her egg at the end of that episode.

F

the american godzilla still looks the best.

i enjoyed the movie a lot as a kid, used to watch it all the time.

Fuck, that thing is awesome.

>physical manifestation of one man's collective anger
>also has electrical powers
Could've been a powerful ally had they learned how he could control it.

bump for something other than samurai jack threads

Would've been much better if they stuck to the original pitch, which was Jonny Quest mixed with Toho Godzilla. But as usual with Godzilla related stuff, it got bogged down with licencing hardships and executive meddling and the end result was crap.

I still don't hate it though, it's got some vintage charm and it, along with the 98 movie were my introductions to Godzilla.

>didn't even bother
More like they didn't have infinite money and patience to secure the rights for other monsters. From what I know, Toho is a bitch to deal with.

But hey, they had some analogues to the classic kaiju. Burrowing monsters, a pterodactyl monster, Cyber-Zilla...

Go back to Sup Forums