ITT: Sup Forums dads that don't fall in the "idiot dad" trope

ITT: Sup Forums dads that don't fall in the "idiot dad" trope.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Samurai Jack's father. It's crazy to think of how much this notion that father's and men in general are just idiots stumbling through life is fucking EVERYWHERE in our media.

Literally every sitcom I can think of does this. What a cancerous notion.

im waiting for people to post examples because i can't think of any besides hank and the guy from leave it to beaver

It's extra bizarre because these incompetent, immature, and commitment adverse fathers are somehow usually the ones holding down a job that's able to pay for a decent sized house, a car or two, the needs of a family of four, AND whatever wacky shenanigans the father inevitability ends up in.

Bob from Bob's Burgers.
Greg from Steven Universe.
Stoic from How to Train Your Dragon.
Flint's father from Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.
Professor Utonium from Powerpuff Girls.
Dave from Alvin and the Chipmunks.
Fred Flintstone.
Mufasa from Lion King.
Hank Hill (mentioned)
Frank from F is for Family (mentioned)
Marlin from Finding Nemo
Popeye (He had nephews and Sweet Pea I guess)
Batman.
Sometimes Superman for whenever he does have a son.
Riley's Father (Inside Out).
Mr. Incredible.
If you want to count Uncle Scrooge, you can.

It's not exactly that uncommon. You guys just aren't trying very hard.

Here's an actually hard challenge: Find me an animated product that has a boy for a protagonist and a woman for a villain. So far, from the top of my head, all I can come up with is Steven Universe.

Does this count?

he sold out last min

he doesn't really count

hank would have held out

> boy for a protagonist and a woman for a villain

dexter's lab

That is actually kind of interesting. I mean, we can obviously come up with examples, but I bet there's going to be some common elements to the examples that could shed some light on why it's relatively uncommon.

Wander over Yonder.

>Fred Flintstone
Fred is pretty idiotic...

Deedee is usually an antagonist, but I don't that actually makes her a villain. Mandark would qualify as the show's primary villain as he actually does evil stuff sometimes beyond just being an also-nerdy rival.

Yes it does.

Mandark is technically the villain. At worst, DeeDee is the antagonist. Otherwise you could say Dory is the villain in Finding Nemo.

That doesnt really count though, the idiot dad trope is for family based shows. Jack's dad isnt a recurring character.

It's been so long since I've watched it, but Cruella de Vil was obviously the villain in 101 Dalmations. I just don't remember who were the actual protagonists beyond dogs, collectively. I *think* the puppies' dad was the protagonist and that this would count.

Unless you're being specific about the protagonist being a young boy up against an adult woman, in which case fuck.

>Fred Flintstone.
wrooooooooooooooong

I dunno, sometimes he comes up with bad ideas, but he's pretty aware of his surroundings and is perfectly capable of taking care of Pebbles.

I mean, when you take into accordance the measurement by putting Homer, Billy's Dad, Timmy's Dad, Peter Griffin, Gumball's Dad, and Hugh Neutron are on the list, I think Fred wins just on grading curve alone.

How is being annoying as shit on purpose and intentionally breaking/ruining things comparable to being odd and forgetful?

>Right wing nut
>Not an idiot

Good list but you gotta knock inside out dad right the fuck of it

>Do a big move
>All parents know this dicks up your kids life
>You let your kids hear shit about financial issues in the first place
>You don't explain it's a work issue and not a family issue
>You let your dumb fuck wife tell your kid she has to suck it up and be YOUR emotional support
>Your kid had a melt down at dinner, you hardass dad her to her room and never fucking look into it.

Like one of these mistakes per year are acceptable, all this shit in a week or month, this kid is fucked because she has the worst fucking parents imaginable, I have four fucking kids and I couldn't fuck up with one of them this bad on my worst week

Based Mr. Ping.

> implying Dory wasn't the villian in Finding Nemo
> implying she wasn't faking the memory loss
Imagine not understanding a kids movie

Avatar counts, if when you say "woman" you include teen girls.

Part of the reason for this is that some people in the industry apparently think that young boys are not scared of women. This is just coming from someone whose heard stories from people working in the industry and even had to change their woman villain to a flamboyant man just to meet the executive notes.

I'll count Pongo just to be generous. I'm also gonna throw Emperor's New Groove on the list.

Wasn't there some kid, out am I confusing with rescuers?

That sounds so weird. Can you give examples of villains that have been changed like that?

They are almost a universal constant in western comedy shows, the only cartoons I know where the Dad isn't a utter moron are action shows or comedy-action shows

There's a lot in Adventure Time
>Finn's adoptive dad
>Finn's actual dad
>Flame Princess' dad
>Marceline's dad
>Lady's dad

Jake is the closest thing to the idiot dad trope but he's more of a neglectful dad trope.

are you implying Greg is or isn't an idiot

isn't

He's pretty much the only ordinary human in the whole show that I don't hate because he has more importance than being the center of boring townie episodes

He sucks but he's not an idiot.

I wouldn't know any villains that have been changed in works that are out now, only works currently being developed that I've heard some anecdotes from people when I asked about their experience in the industry.

I tried to come up with a list myself afterwards and most of the hero-villains I thought of were same-sex. I was able to think of more girl-hero/boy-villain pair-ups than the reverse (Mulan, Powerpuff Girls Pocahontas, Kim Possible, Star Vs) .

This seems to be animation exclusive because I can think of a shit-ton from comics and live-action.

I always liked how Finn's dog dad is portrayed as a sort of crazy macho ass but is still depicted in a positive light. Maybe that's only because his children are looking back on him but the show could still make him look like an asshole if they wanted

>sort of crazy macho ass
he's just a tough galoot

I mean, it makes more sense with media aimed at girls. Girls already watch boy shows and are used to boy villains; they also tend to get more girl villains for obvious reasons.

It also seems super weird that this would be the case for shows currently in production. I mean, yeah, gay representation is something that can actually happen now in cartoons so of course we're going to see more effeminate/gay villains going forward (I imagine there's a gay villain in some obscure religious cartoon lying around somewhere), but it seems weird for that to come out of a fear that female villains won't be taken seriously. Which shows are these? Do they have any working titles or concepts? It'd be interesting if you actually managed to call this ahead of time.

I wish my dad built an entire dungeon to make me not a pussy, I'd end up either dead or manly and both are better than now

I wouldn't be able to give much details. I was never even told the name since the person didn't want to break their non-disclosure agreement. Only thing I know is that it was for Disney.

Though, these things could very easily be shelved even after years of development if the studio decides so on a whim and we might never see it like Very Important House. It could have also been the people he was pitching to at the time believed that philosophy and many others do not. I mean, Nickelodeon went from rejecting Modifyers because they didn't want a girls show to airing Miraculous Ladybug. I'm gonna go based on Lauren Faust's difficulty in getting anything off the ground while her husband has three shows that "Women anything" is a difficult sale in the industry overall.

>Fred Flintstone

Uhh...

Bunsen is a beast

Wow holy fuck that never occurred to me. Great post user

King Frederic from Tangled.

More relevant now that he has a supporting role in an ongoing series.

Wander Over Yonder
Foster's Home, that one episode with the superhero imaginary friend
South Park, the episode with Butters and his grandmother

Stan fluctuates a lot but more often than not, he's at the very least, an extremely competent CIA agent, even if he's a borderline sociopath when it comes to dealing with his family.

He was hardly presented as a right wing nut. He was a middle of the road moderate Republican. His dog was named after the Democrat LBJ. He didn't want to vote for Bush because of his weak handshake. He went to a church with a female pastor. He was annoyed by Dale's conspiracy theories and Cotton's sexism. He was a bit uptight and straightlaced but not a bigot. I could go on but I think you get my point.

This, a thousand times this.

>a boy for a protagonist and a woman for a villain.
Marco Diaz & Miss Heinous.

He's a bit spacey but definitely not an idiot.

are f&p stepbrothers?

>promise dead wife that by the age of 10 you'll let aliens raise him in order to learn his heritage and undergo the martial training his birthright demands
>instead of teaching him how to fight they turn him into a massive faggot, he was always a goofy kid but it's as if his maturity and masculinity decrease as he ages

Seems pretty dumb to me

yes.
first father died

Yes.

>first father died
We actually don't know what happened to him.

>Find me an animated product that has a boy for a protagonist and a woman for a villain.

Counterpoint: How does he not fall into the idiot dad trope when he paid sticker price for every care he's ever owned.

They make a big deal out of that, but didn't he have that red truck they made a big deal out of for like 15 years anyway?

This glorious bastard. The fucker breaks through a time slow to save his adopted son from a time wizard that wrecked everyone's shit and would have caved in his face, if it weren't for emergency teleportation. Said villain is so impressed by his fatherly devotion he later comes back and heals the accelerated aging he was afflicted with from breaking out of slowed time.

It's even more complicated than that! They have had four flashbacks before any of the kids were born where they were on dates and implied intimacy one included young Candace. The most damning was one about their first kiss in the 80s, a good decade before the first kid was born.
This leaves one of two weird situations:
1.They dated for years, broke up, Linda married mystery husband, loses mystery husband, got back together with Lawrence.
2. she was having an affair

It's not just grown men, ever look at a stereotypical protagonist of a Shounen? They're good at fighting and eating a LOT, but retarded at everything else.

It's why I feel that Luffy is the single worst protagonist ever created. Though the bigger blame goes to Goku by Toriyama. Not because Goku is retarded exactly (he was raised in a way that you feel for him), but he made the cliche too damn popular. Now your average protagonist is simply lacking common sense.

It's real cringe inducing because the general theme comes off as "Be stupid and you'll still succeed in life."

The worst part of this one? Because Dexter's antagonist is a twat she ALWAYS wins. It's not politically correct for a male to beat and come out a winner against a twat.

Oh sure they gave Dexter a few pity victories, but generally? It was an exercise in frustration watching Dee Dee destroy Dexter's work without suffering at all for it. And she's been doing this shit since the boy was a newborn infant.

Best of a bad situation. Greg can't help Steven with his growing gem powers. The gems suck at interacting with humans and can't really teach Steven how to live like a regular kid. Greg could, but the gem issues take priority. And I imagine Greg doesn't(or didn't) have the time to really be that involved in Steven's life. He pays for everything. The house, the food, the utilities, the damage the Gems do to the town. He's probably ha t work nearly 24/7 just to keep up with the bills.

>It's not just grown men, ever look at a stereotypical protagonist of a Shounen? They're good at fighting and eating a LOT, but retarded at everything else.
That's literally just a Japanese archetype combining Momotaro with Son Goku.

And there's more to Shounen stories than just DBZ, One Piece and Naruto. Detective Conan doesn't have any of those traits and he's one of the most popular and longest running Shounen heroes there is.

Love Handel was a late '80s band that didn't break up until the mid-to-late '90s.

Duh. Mr. Hawkins from Static Shock

user, Candace is 15 at the shows launch of 2007. That means she was born in 1992. So if their first kiss was say 1995~1999 that means it was after Candace was born but before Phineas was making this all the more awkward.

>Greg
Nigga he's criminally bad.

I want TVTropes to go.

I wonder (((who))) could be perpetrating this

certain episodes of atomic puppet
Grojband

If you only included classic era, Homer would be pretty close to Fred, honestly.

>69 replies
>Nobody posts the best non-idiot dad

I don't know if it's quite that, but more that shows must be either for boys or for girls and that mixing the two is just going to make selling merchandise harder. I would guess that the assumption is that boys don't want girls for merchandise.

I haven't seen my dad in a decade but am meeting him this week
its gonna be weird

For his first appearance, sure, but he got stupider and less menacing as the show went on.

Are there any tropes for moms that are as ubiquitous as the idiot-dad trope? I feel like I've seen more of the working woman house husband dynamic, but other than that I can't really think of anything.

He has the money from the Burger commercial

Naruto isn't even stupid

He's just ADHD for a good part of the series and needed a actual teacher willing to work one on one with him like Jiraya

>Naruto isn't even stupid

This fucking idiot sees a pregnant woman and goes 'whoa how did you get so fat'.

>The poorly socialized orphan teenager says insensitive things

Don't forget Kiyomaru From Zatch bell. The guy reads desertations from MIT Graduates as a hobby and his intellect constantly aids him in combat

Dad here, you are right on.

Clouds?

Except that Riley was a massive bitch. She moved into a house that probably cost a shit ton of money and only thinks to complain about it. Do you know most kids would be stoked to move to San Fran-fucking-Cisco? One of the most interesting and exciting cities in the world? She commits social suicide on the the first day of school by crying and yet, her fellow students are unnaturally sympathetic. Not that she seems to give a fuck. She refuses to talk to her old friends from Minnesota because apparently it's cuntish of them to dare enjoy their lives without her. She actively resists her mother's desperate attempts to comfort her and decides the right course of action is to act like a totally ungrateful dick to her father who's very clearly stressed out from being overworked. And to fucking boot, she complains about her mom buying her pizza because she doesn't like broccoli? JUST PICK THE TOPPINGS OFF THEN, YOU STUPID FUCKING SPOILED BRAT!

Let's not even get started on what a selfish piece of shit Joy is.

He's the worst kind of autistic.

>Greg supported Steven even prior to becoming a multi-millionaire.
>He owned his own business he bought from climbing the ranks.
>Lives out of a van to save money.
>Literally built Steven a home with the gems from scratch.
>Emotionally muture and always there when Steven needs him.
>Picked up being a single dad and no idea how to raise a baby on his own, for a few years with little help from the gems.
>Actually a very nice,genuine and helpful person - even though he's faced alot of tragedy and stress.

Greg is a great father and character.

How did this happen?

Also good luck user.

Does Hey Arnold count? Phil was definitely more on the ball than Pookie.

>Do you know most kids would be stoked to move to San Fran-fucking-Cisco?
yes and most kids would eat cake everyday and never bathe if given a chance because most kids are stupid

I haven't seen him since middle school
he used to beat me and my sister/be abusive towards my mom
I reached out to him last weekend because I'm pretty depressed, figure addressing things that made me sad would be a good start to get bettr

>Nickelodeon went from rejecting Modifyers because they didn't want a girls show to airing Miraculous Ladybug.
Nick then killed Ladybug in time-slots and forced it off the network.

Nigga she just went through a case of being homesick and her Dad made a basic parent mistaking of yelling rather than talking it out. All he did was sternly send her up to her room during dinner, too. He didn't ground her, hit her, take away privileges, or any of that shit. He literally tried to make up for it like an hour or two later.

Riley's relationship with her parents is so unbelievably healthy and positive it's almost unrealistic.

Little Bear's dad was that Atticus Finch-esque 1950s dad

>tfw everyone forgets Hakoda exists
Why, Sup Forums? He's best dad and you know it.

Rusty's not objectively an idiot - just a lazy asshole, and he actually does try and care for his kids. It's actually surprising that he turned out better than his father.

>Do you know most kids would be stoked to move to San Fran-fucking-Cisco?
Not a whole fucking lot. Kids care more about their friends and familiarity than moving to some hip cool city.

And way to sperg out on a child, user. She's 12. I doubt you were great big bundle of maturity and understanding at 12. I doubt you've ever been a great big bundle of maturity and understanding from your post.

Won't work. Go see a therapist.