The MCU finally has a great villain that's not Loki

The MCU finally has a great villain that's not Loki.

Your definition of great is pretty loose

Had

One thing I didn't get.
When he says he's a Celestial the Guardians clearly know what he means.
That what he is has a name and that they recognise it means there's other Celestials out there.
Yet after that his entire plot and motivation is about how he's alone in the universe and other life is disappointing.
Why doesn't he just go hang out with one of the other Celestials if he's that lonely? Or why didn't he ask one of them for help destroying the universe instead of having hundreds of kids in the hopes that one would have his power?

All the other celestials are implied to be dead by what the Collector says in vol. 1

That scene with him walking towards Quill while his body was forming was legit. Best part of the whole sequence.

Yondu with the lights out with his stick was pretty lit too.

Is lit short for legit?

It already has better villains that Loki in the TV shows

>inb4 non canon meme

It's on fire.

>we will never get to see Netflix Kingpin match wits with MCU Spidey

>Why doesn't he just go hang out with one of the other Celestials if he's that lonely?
little g. he's not one of the big celestials

DUDE PENIS LMAO

The part that sealed it was when he admitted to give Starlord's mom cancer.

I'm sure a spore or two will have survived

I don't understand why I keep seeing this. He wasn't bad, but he really didn't stand out against most other Marvel villains. I liked Yellow Jacket and Red Skull better than him.

I don't know, that felt a little out of nowhere.

Kurt is so dang handsome and was real dad-mode in this

>I don't understand why I keep seeing this

Because he's a villain they bother to make sympathetic and understandable before the turn happens. His motivations are a little esoteric(it's hard to sell existential ennui in a kids movie) but it's also a pretty different take on the standard villain formula.

Also it helps that Kurt Russell is still the most charming man alive.

The moment of reveal was odd but it made perfect sense in-character.

Ward really is better than Loki.

>dead

lol

But they're non canon

>your son murders people for a living
>you murdered people
>he ought to be fine with you murdering people

There you go. He was just up his own ass so he couldn't see the fault in the above logic.

he's egotistical. he admitted killing meridith because ir hurt him, he was trying to get sympathy

I thought he meant he wasn't God, as in the christian all powerful all knowing one.

Lost all impact after Civil War and Batman vs Superman.

>now that batman did it nobody is allowed to have a dead parent in a movie

>Two huge movies that came out recently do it
>I know, let's do it too!
It's played out at this point.

>Two huge movies that came out recently do it'
GotG opens with Peter's moms death. Before either of those movies.
2/10 I replied.

GotG came out before both of those.

The whole part of using Peter like a battery didn't make any sense, since he was only manipulating the energy from the planet itself.

Peter had no energy to contribute to use as a battery.

i'm going to use you like an access terminal just doesnt have the same ring to it.

I took it as that he needed someone else to channel the energy through, instead of channeling it through himself only. Share the burden so to speak

He provided some of the most interesting and unique visuals of the entire MCU.

I figure he just needed Peter to act as extra memory so he could do the proper calculations to do his plan.

Ego had children all over the universe,
so is it possible that Peter fucked one of his half-sisters at some point?

didn't Yondu bring them back to Ego when they were young? Although he could of missed some

Does the MCU finally have a movie that isn't normie trash?

Russel sold that shit. That he actually loved her in his fucked up way and killing her hurt him. Pratt just blasting away right after was great too.

Like OP's anus

Please no female Star-Lord or comic black sister. Gunn, don't do it.

Except the parts when he tried to use his son as a literal battery for a thousand years and murdered an untold number of his children

Nope.

They are retarded.

>they actually pulled off Ego the living planet in a movie

i really wanted to like guardians of the galaxy 2 but i just hated the overall plot to it all.
the whole "too good to be true but of course ends up being something really evil" cliche just annoyed me so much.
the humor in the movie was good though.

Yes, but everyone being well aware that "it's just too good to be true" from the very moment Ego shows up makes it work.

The overall plot is "Your family are people who accept you, warts and all" and "It's not who's your Father, but who's your Daddy that's important."

The universe-infecting living Planet thing is practically a subplot used for action.

he's ok but he's far from great.

Alexander Pierce was a good villain.

Stane was a great villain, just not a great Super-Villain.
Thunderbolt Ross has always been solid.

Am i the only one who thought he was bill murray?

there a torrent out yet or what?

Yes, I can safely say you are the only potato who thought that.

Agents of Shield ain't canon

>Ego
>It's all about himself, doesn't considered the "Others" as his equal, thus being alone in the universe.

By great you mean big, user?
Because yeah, he's big...
Good? Absolutely not.

I thought Robin Williams was dead

>I will tell you about killing your mom for no reason
>I will lose against you while having millions of years of experience and knowledge just because you're fighting with HEART
>Not to mention our fight of GODS will be poor MoS ripoff
Wew, such a great villain.

There are some parts about him that are great and he does have some depth to him. The implication that he killed Peter's mom to keep him from becoming too attached to Earth is some dark shit.

But he just felt like a blip on the radar. The movie was just going too fucking fast to digest how much of an ego centric prick he is and it's just dropped on you all at once.

>I will tell you about killing your mom for no reason

Is this going to become the meme of GOTG2? He was justifiying his actions and was so egotistical that he assumed that Peter would agree with him.

>million years of knowledge
>not knowing how psychology of mammals works
Stop defending this garbage. And other points still stands.

He had Peter entranced even during the part where he was saying "yeah I had a lot of other kids with other women too and also they all died but you're special." He probably thought if he was cool with that he'd be cool with anything.

>not knowing how psychology of mammals works

Did you miss how incredibly excited he was once he figured out that he finally had a proper conduit/heir?

>I'M FINALLY NOT ALONE!

He wasn't thinking rationally after that point.

> And other points still stands.

What? That the good guy beat the bad guy? They won because they worked as a team, Peter and Ego were fighting each other to a standstill, they were both immortal.

>He probably thought if he was cool with that
There is literally no reason to him to get his plan to the danger just because he thought Quill will be fine with his mommy died because of Ego.
>Did you miss how incredibly excited
>He wasn't thinking
>ancient being
>being excited
>acting like total retard because of that
I got ya, mate.
>They won because they worked as a team
No. Star Lord and the others won just because FIGHT WITH HEART LMAO. All their team work didn't mean shit at the end, they were saved by HEART POWER.

his name is LITERALLY EGO

he can't conceive of a possibility where he's a) in the wrong and b) someone might disagree with him

At what point did Ego act like the all-knowing god-being that you seem to think he was? Even in his best moments he acted like a Cool Dad stereotype who just wanted to hang out with his son and surrounding friends.

>All their team work didn't mean shit at the end, they were saved by HEART POWER.

Even without the heart power they still would have killed Ego with the battery bomb.

didn't they need heart power to distract Ego so Groot could plant the bomb

I thought the movie was fine. I actually felt like they tried to be too funny in this movie. It felt forced at points. poor Drax is just a punchline now. I don't think he even really fought anything in this movie.

It falls into the Avengers 2 problem of spending a movie to bring them together just to spend a movie trying to break them apart.

it was hardly a movie about breaking them apart, but as said, about "It's not who's your Father, but who's your Daddy that's important."

after all, the Guardians are still together at the end while AoU has the Avengers breaking apart

>someone might disagree with him
So, while travelling for millions of years and meeting tons of sentients, everyone were agree with him in everything?
>that you seem to think he was
So, he was lying about him being god and celestials in MCU are just powerful retards?
>Even without the heart power they still would have killed Ego with the battery bomb.
Wrong. Groot and everyone was trapped. And Star Lord was. He escaped just because HEART POWER BABY. He didn't even knew how his power works and he admitted it.

>So, he was lying about him being god and celestials in MCU are just powerful retards?

Infinite power doesn't equal infinite wisdom. This is not an idea exclusive to GOTG2.

first off: it seemed like most of his interactions with sentients were boning them, so despite existing for millions of years, he likely does not have a broad range of experience interacting with all kinds of sentients, and those who did disagree with him if they learned of his plan were too scared to say anything about it, like Mantis

second off: god does not mean omniscient or omnipotent outside of Abrahamic religions, and especially not in cape comics

I really hate enemy "swarms." They were cool once or twice, but Star Trek did it, GotG1 did it, already... It's just not visually interesting. I want to see dogfights and shit, not a swarm of spacegnats that explode if you sneeze at them.

I liked the Sovereign ships being remotely piloted though. But you can do that without making them totally boring to watch.

>heart power
>not dick power
did we watch the same movie?

> But you can do that without making them totally boring to watch.

I liked how Star Trek Beyond handled them because it showed how powerful a hive like that could be, and they're defeated with a visually exciting sequence instead of an endless dogfight so we can pull focus to the actual villain instead of 20 minutes of drone warfare.

The swarm in this one was more for comedic purposes with that arcade jeering and stuff.

I was waiting for a crotch shot to bring that full circle.

For a while there i actually thought he didn't have one. When at the beginning the camera focused on the space-flower i thought the thing was somehow related to Peter's birth, as in the mom never really got normally pregnant

[spoilers]>tfw you realize the first chick Ego meets is pink like Bereet[/spoilers]

They talked about celestials in the first film. They even mentioned then when they explained what Knowhere is.

can you really kill a god, user?

>poor Drax is just a punchline now.

Seriously. They hired that fucking mountain of a human Bautista, and it certainly wasn't for his acting chops. Why doesn't he get to fuck stuff up every now and then? Drax's only non-comedic scene was his quiet moment with Mantis, he didn't destroy shit.

Where's Drax's sequence where he's fucking shit up like Yondu did to the Reaver ship?

>has
*had

I guess we'll see in Thor: Ragnarok

He's egocentric (focused on himself) and narcissistic (which means he will throw people under the bus if it means he gets what he wants), so everything is about him.

He killed Meredith purely to benefit himself by removing her from his life.
He loved her, but he felt "love" in the selfish sense; he loved how Meredith made him feel, whereas "real love" is selflessly caring for a person and putting them first before your feelings.

That was the best thing; Ego's villainy was in his human traits rather than his alien ones.

Him being a planet was secondary to him being an asshole.

Too bad he was a fucking idiot and for no reason told Peter that he killed his mother

So, he's not really a Celestial, is he? From everything we've seen, it looks like he's just been lying about the whole thing because his "ego" is just that huge.

I'm not very familiar with the deep lores in the comics, but even from what little I knew, my BS started beeping when he came right out and said he was a Celestial. Things became even fishier when he it was apparent that he could only operate on species level outside of his planet, which is so far below the powers a real Celestial should have it's not even funny.

So it's all just a ruse, isn't it? He's just straight up BSing, right?

>yfw they showed the face on the planet

I didn't think they'd actually do it.

>So it's all just a ruse, isn't it? He's just straight up BSing, right?

Within the narrative, calling him a Celestial god is a way of telegraphing to the audience he's powerful and important.

Even Ego is unclear of his origins, that he was "born" as a brain floating in space is really dubious. Seems like he got vivisected or dismembered in some way as a previously more powerful being.

So he might indeed be a former Celestial in the MCU.

Loki wasn't great, he wasn't effective , wasn't sympathethic (Kinda jealous of my brother, this means I must obliterate the ice giants and mankind) and his attempts at being snarky come off as annoying, he's just "emasculate, kinda emo british villian" who's there to make fangirls get wet and make a million tumblr posts.

It pisses me off that for all their wrong doings DC is making better villians because IN THE COMICS IS THE OTHER FUCKING WAY AROUND.

Is not that the MCU didn't have potential
>Ivan vanko, matches stark and is actually right in that tony's father ruined his life, his dialogue is interesting and his designs badass LOL NOPE, DED
>Yellowjacket's whole "My mentor didn't choose me and my technology is slowly driving me insane " thing is kinda good DECEASED
>Ultron? Turned into quip machine then destroyed
> Rumlow survived? ALLAHU ACKBARS Himself in the first five minutes.

Zemo survived and can't wait to see how they deal with him in five minutes, my only hope is that homecoming's villians actually look well written and apparently fuck up spidey pretty good

Still the most threatening and entertaining MCU villain for me.

Yeah, but it's not like they haven't established that MCU Celestials are the same as the comic Celestials, and Ego is, well, just a living planet. He's weaker than Thor on a bad day. Doesn't it make more sense that he's just a bad liar?

Even with that one part of him screaming and the camera close up on his silly expression?

he lost all points when his final fight with steve was so pathetic

Yes.

>he lost all points when his final fight with steve was so pathetic
How was it pathetic?

>he's just "emasculate, kinda emo british villian" who's there to make fangirls get wet and make a million tumblr posts.
Sounds like a kind of villain MCUfags love.

he kept on about not wanting to return before revealing it

I love how he was a mix of Jor-El and Emperor Palpatine, given how what he was trying to teach Quill was basically the Force if it was restricted to a single location/person.