So we’re supposed to believe that in 30 years time these things will exist

So we’re supposed to believe that in 30 years time these things will exist....

>flying cars
> a gargantuan LA with several thousand skyscrapers
> holographic girlfriends

BR2049 looked like it was at least 100 years in the future.

FUCK YOU DENNIS

low quality bait

OP you may have autism by not knowing that atari isn't a hot thing anymore and Panam is literally extinct
But I bet you're 15 and you don't know what Panam is.

They existed in 2009 so why not?

2 years, actually.

>we
No, we suspend disbelief. Now take you are meds.

I'm 35 and this world we live in feels even more sci-fi than ST: TNG ever did. Except for the space thing. But fuck space, what did it ever to for me?
But a computer/phone/camera/etc. in a single handheld device? WTF is this shit? MAGIC MAGNETS???

what did. flying cars?

I mean commercially available to the extent you see them everywhere. My point is, 1987 doesn't look THAT different to 2017.

2049 looked a world away from the way the world looks like now.

>BR2049 looked like it was at least 100 years in the future.
you fucking retard the original happened in 2019 this is a different timeline to your reality

>Now take you are meds

You first.

>I'm 35
bait

>it's bad on purpose
Yeah. No

We don't really need holographic gfs, there's already VR. We're inches away from actual waifus.

>Yeah. No
low quality bait

try again, what a bad thread

Yeah the original happened in 2019 because Ridley wrongly predicted in 1982 that's what 2019 would look like.

It's a common thing with sci-fi fanboys to go over-the-top with their fanaticism and create a future world that's premature.

Jonze's 'Her' is the only mainstream sci-fi I've seen with some restraint.

>FUCK YOU DENNIS
Blade Runner the original had flying cars set in 2019?

So we're supposed to believe that in 1 year these things will exist....

FUCK YOU RIDLEY

>Restraint
Why do you even think this is important? This is your brain on Nolan?

That strengthens the OP's point though, because the world in the original Blade Runner was just as advanced as the 2049.

Surely, 30 years forward in THAT timeline would have seen superior advancements.

There is definitely a lack of world-building consistency here.

2049 looked very similar to 2009, not sure what you're talking about.

I get what your saying, my professor always says to "show don't tell" and it's like that I think

Sorry OP, but there's lots of factors in the way. For instance earth was purposely a dump, with the real advancement taking place off world.

I suppose you have a point there. Still wish we had laser guns.

There's nearly 40 years between when BR was made and the year the film was actually set.

Ridley genuinely thought that's what 2019 LA MIGHT look like. The point is here, there is now a discrepancy between his world and Dennis' world if we're to believe there's 30 years difference.

did you not hear about the blackout? it fucked earth

Off-World is the place for high civilization that's why they were taking deckard off world at the end to see inside his head with better tech

I'm 28 and I don't know what Panam is.

at least we will get overrun by immigrants

It's a continuation on the 2019 predicted in the 80s, idiot. They even have analogue tape technology to be consistent with the future vision of the 80s

So you didn't see that Dicaprio movie. Sad!

The book from 1968 set it in the year 1992.

It may happen for sure.

My sisters house can be controlled via AI.

You can dim the lights, set the heating, open curtains and the like just by telling it to.

It's fairly futuristic.

Alien is set in 2122, so we're supposed to believe that in 105 years these things will exist...

>Interstellar space travel
>Cryogenic sleep pods
>Terraforming of other planets
>An British-Japanese conglomerate controls half of the world

Alien looked like it was at least 200 years in the future.

FUCK YOU RIDLEY

>The book from 1968 set it in the year 1992.
good thing it didn't copy the book then.

Villeneuve was working within a world ridley had created, it's a sequel.

It's a movie not a prediction for the future you fucking mong.

we went from first airplane to landing on the moon in 66 years

still better than stories set 1000 years in the future and the only difference is we have interstellar travel and people dress like faggots

>Jonze's 'Her' is the only mainstream sci-fi I've seen with some restraint
It gains points for not specifying exactly what year it takes place in, so there will never be a moment in the future where we point to it and say "why don't we have X yet???"

25, non-american here, Panam was an airline. They had white and blue painted planes and they had 2 most remarkable aviation disasters in history,
Lockerbe bomb accident and Tenerifa crash

All these will exist by 2049 though

>Image
What are all the lit, windowed rooms for?

Fuck it, I'll bite. So set it one hundred years on from the original in 2119. Deckard, his daughter and Sapper is dead. Story is fucked. Good job op.

I also wanna mention that the USSR still exists in 2049 simply because it was around when the first movie was made.
There's a shitton of attention to detail in preserving the original BR's world, and it's just another thing that makes this movie greater.

Wasn't hollywood supposed to collapse into the ocean?

>Commercially available flying cars?
Maybe
>LA that looks like BR2049
Fuck no.
>Holographic girlfriends
We have the tech to create them now but I doubt we'd see tangible holograms for at least 100 years.

>wrongly predicted in 1982 that's what 2019 would look like
What you retards don't seem to understand is that these movies aren't supposed to be a prediction of the future.

They set it in the not too distant future, and then come up with a cool possibility for what that future might look like.
They aren't saying "This is exactly how we think 2019 is going to look guys!"
It's just "Wouldn't it be awesome if 2019 looked like this?"

The fault line east of Hollywood in the Los Angeles Basin called San andreas will eventually pull LA next to SF

What's more likely is water level rising so The basin is flooded during storms leading to new Orleans Katrina esque proportios. BTW trump will let them drown.

>Flying cars
>Super Skyscrapers
>Giant Holograms
>Waifu Bots

All these things we could have, lost like tears in the rain so leftists could spend more welfare on niggers and refugees

So explain how 2049 doesn't look that different to 2019 if there's a difference of 30 years?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH *inhales* AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

and if a retard Jewish puppet like Drumf wasnt president REEEEEEEEEE its not fair

Do things like drastically different from the late 80's where you live? The tech has changed and there are more buildings and people but cars, trains, planes etc don't look wildly different.

Plus the black out set them back quite a bit.

Yes they had a flood defense in the movie

There was a blackout and collapse of ecosystems you retard watch the movie, trees are dead, resources are difficult to come by, look at his shower for example the fact everyone shaves their head to save on water, kids scavenging for scraps for off world ships, deckard being sent off world where there is better tech to look in hisbhead

Is this the thread where we make fun of star wars fans by coming up with retardedly small complaints then acting like they ruin a perfectly fine movie?

>Cutting tax is a bad thing

Oh so you're one of those people

Aside from the space colonization, most of the tech in the movie is plausible if we really focused on it.

Wasn't there a massive power failure?

That's what the seawall was for.

b-b-but muh reddit memes told me da corporations will hoard all the money!

Anyone else find the film to be disappointing?

we have never landed on the moon

There's a whole bit about how much information was lost in the blackout. Also, seems like most people have given up on Earth by that point, so the off-world colonies could be far more advanced.

I found it extremely visually and aurally pleasing but the plot was somewhat weak for me.

Not all that compelling.

But I didn't mind because I loved the portrayal/depiction of the world.

>non-invasive mixed reality
it's the future and you know it
vr headsets are retarded, i'd rather have retinal projector shooting photons directly into my eyes

I wonder how they describe this technology in the movie's world. Laser holograms?

I'm just disappointed in the last third of the movie. Harrison Ford doing his old Harrison Ford act, the cliched resistance thing. It's still beautifully shot, but there was nothing particularly unique or novel to the sets after the Vegas chapter.

Really? The whole last scene was made with a wave machine and looked awesome especially the whole triple asphyxiation bit

Could've easily cut Ford out of the movie and it wouldn't have hurt that narrative.

K finding out there was nothing special about him was novel.

Yeah, barring the seawall chapter, sorry, which is the only thing that stuck with me
Or the bridge with the huge Joi hologram, but purely for the memes.

>movie is online
>threads quality goes to shit

Honestly you could've cut all connection to the original movie, including Rachael, and nothing would be lost.

its just aesthetics

Nothing is so straight forward in BR. Another 'the hero who was born to save the world' just wasn't going to happen, but it was interesting.

One thing that I did not fully understand is when the resistance leader tells K 'you thought that was you? Everyone here would want to be that person's. Aren't most of them older models? Would they have the same implanted memories that K had? Why would she know what sort of memory K had in him.

Also the embers fading into sea wall

it gets better with rewatches in my opinion. first time watching it i left the theater feeling somewhat mixed on it but the more i thought about it, i started liking it and i actually enjoyed it way more the second time.

It was more metaphorical.

Them mining space minerals was a coverstory. In reality they were transporting 100's of humans along as hosts for the xeno. It also explains why they were trying to renegotiate the bonus situation because they had figured out the truth.

Tell me more

it's an alternate reality based on the future of the first film

She knew K was investigating the child and came to that conclusion. Nobody except Ana would know the significance of the wooden horse memory.

Not happening look at all the advertisers all of them are corps that are in the brink of bankrupt and depth sony is irrelevant in this day and age they are losing so much money plus Atari is a literal who now the Soviet part was actually believable though not sure about the Japan stuff

of the wrong kind?

Look at Dubai 30 years ago.
Of course we will never have flying cars the average person is a dumbass

>I mean commercially available to the extent you see them everywhere

Only lapd and Wallace had them

>atari isn't a hot thing anymore
Uh, no sweetie. That movie plays in the future. You just wait.

Cell phones are just more convenient than laser guns. If we had another world war, you'd bet your ass both sides would be developing laser weapons if they proved to be even marginally more convenient and effective than what we have now.

Autism on deck

I find it funny how the mouse did the same thing to the star wars franchise and how the empire/first order technology is still based on these analogue screens and all that sit (like when they fire that laser in TFA for example where it features prominently)

What a weird time where hollywood has run out of ideas completely so they're just rehashing all this 80s stuff instead

they couldn't have gotten any worse considering people mostly talk about their waifu and their projections onto K.