I just saw this - pure fucking Kino. Have you watched the "vengeance" trilogy anons?

I just saw this - pure fucking Kino. Have you watched the "vengeance" trilogy anons?

yes and I agree, it's the most balanced of the three. first one is too over the top. second one is boring af, third one is a masterpiece

Ah shit, I still gotta see that. Watched the first two with a friend and loved them, but never caught the third. I guess there's a time for everything.

>first one is too over the top. second one is boring af

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance isn't over the top though, it's just unsatisfying as fuck. Everyone dies and everyone is stupid as shit and makes dumb mistakes. Nothing seemed over the top to me in that one. Or maybe you are mixing it up with Oldboy? Either way, Oldboy is still the most memorable imo, even though it's that twist that makes the entire movie. But even without the twist it has plenty of great moments.

Lady Vengeance is by far the most satisfying and emotional though, that's true. I love it. I am on a Korean kino watching streak - i am about to watch Mother (2009) next i think. Seems gud

mother is good, you're in for a treat

>Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
isn't that the 1st?

what I mean is, oldboy is the first, sympathy for mr is the 2nd and lady v is the third

oh ok, on imdb the release order is 2002 - 2003 - 2005 so i assumed u were talking about that

Lady Vengeance > The Handmaiden > Thirst > Oldboy > I'm a Cyborg, but that's ok > Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance > JSA > Stoker

imo

woah you're right. for a long time I thought oldboy was the first. I saw it in that order and it made a lot of sense. Not that it matters though. I liked oldboy and lady V. the one I didn't like was Mr V

>The Handmaiden
only one I haven't see and prob won't since it's a topic that bores me to death

don't be fooled by the premise. It's a rollercoaster ride. and avoid spoilers.

Bong Joon-ho > Park Chan-wook

But they're both great.

What's JSA ?
dude..watch the movie and then say it's shit, not beforehand. It's one of the best movies i've seen

Joint Security Area

>Lady Vengeance is by far the most satisfying and emotional though, that's true
agreed.
> i am about to watch Mother (2009) next i think. Seems gud
its sit desu

>it's a topic that bores me to death
you wat nigger

>Bong Joon-ho
Barking Dogs Never Bite, Memories of Murder and The Host are great.

Don't expect The Host to be a sci fi or horror movie. Think of it as a black comedy drama that revolves around a family and happens to have a monster in it. If you watch Bong's previous films then you'll appreciate The Host a lot more and understand its humor. The only people who hate on The Host are those who don't know Bong's style and expect The Host to be something that it was never meant to be.

Mother is his best one in my opinion. I wish he would do more of this crime stuff again istead of turning into a Korean Tim Burton.

>Barking Dogs Never Bite
i never knew what to think about this movie. it felt akward

Yeah, that's a great one too. I didn't mention it because it was already mentioned.

people actually like oldboy? yuuuuck

Tell me about Hong Sang-soo

It's a great movie - the fact that the twist is gross and sad is another matter.

Boring faggot korean Woody Allenesque

wtf? i hate park chung-hee now

Castaway on the Moon

Save the Green Planet

Highly recommended.

>gross

underrated movie

>you will never hold your country's top businessmen hostage until they invest in heavy industry

>hating on Oldboy

Too cool for school I see.

>tfw still have The Handmaiden on my PC since 3 months ago, can't let myself delete it

Memories of Murder>Mother

try a year

I've seen most of Park's work, only have that short one and I'm a Cyborg to finish and I'll be done with him for the time being. Each film brought something new to the trilogy and it got better with each one. Mr. Vengeance was the most depressing, but still really good. The first half served as a nice contrast to the the second one, in which things only took a turn for the worse. Oldboy also had depressing moments, but the directing was more stylish and improved upon, also had a great gut-wrenching twist. An overall improvement on its predecessor. Lady Vengeance is my favorite, because it took the best parts out of the first two and combined them in something truly marvelous, while also having a sense of originality. It made me fall in love with Geum-ja. Really liked the final third, made me quite anxious during the scene when all the parents were waiting to take turn. Professor's motive for killing being a yacht was a nice twist and an even better slap in the face.

Thirst was lovely, the main duo had great chemistry and it was a nice Therese Raquin adaptation, while also managing to be a fresh take on vampires, as well. Stoker is garbage and by far his weakest work.

>Castaway on the Moon
better than all of those

Why?

Lady Vengeance and Thirst are legitimately excellent. Rewatching Oldboy recently with normals I found myself embarrassed at points. It does not hold up as an adult, having accrued a decade or more of film experience since it was "peak filmmaking" (pure reddit to hold it in such high degree nowadays).

That amazing fight scene that everyone lauds is amateurish.

if you like mother you should also check out memories of murder its top tier kino

Because Castaway on the Moon is just that - damn - good.

so... lesbians

Park made several films that are at the very least damn good, so it isn't better. Can you give precise reasons as to why you consider it better than anything Park made?

Oldboy is great, but was always overrated to an extent. Also, what makes a film "reddit"? Seems like a retarded attempt at criticizing anything, especially Oldboy.

I absolutely hated I'm a Cyborg, but other than that this list is accurate

Korean kino thread?
Gonna rec Chaser, one of the best thrillers I've watched.

Guys, Save The Green Planet! is essential Korean kino, watch it asap!

>Also, what makes a film "reddit"? Seems like a retarded attempt at criticizing anything
it's going to sound like a copout but if you don't intrinsically get what it means for something to be "reddit" in such terms, in that kind of abstract, you might be reddit yourself. Or maybe you should just fucking lurk more until such concepts aren't alien to you and you "get it".

I know what makes it reddit and why people use it, it mostly summarizes what they were going to say in a single word, but it seems a bit queer to use in discussions.

Have you anons seen this? Insta-depression core if you are into that

>if it's mainstream is Reddit
I'm not surprise that you find the most popular korean movie abroad "Reddit", is because you're a retarded snowflake that can't think for yourself.

Last vengeance is by far the worst in the trilogy. Mr Vengeance is great, Oldboy is massively overrated

Has anyone seen the version of Lady Vengeance that gradually turns black and white?

Awful taste

reasonable, doesn't agree with the use of such shorthand as being beneficial to anyone in a discussion among friends, gets it but has a certain opinion of the practice

literal retard brainlet and pure fucking reddit incarnate

What are some recent movies that should be added?

The Wailing comes to mind

>there are people ITT that think Memories of Murder isn’t the best Korean film
DIS
GUST
ING

How does it treat depression? As something to be fetishized or does it take a more serious approach with it? Gonna check it out regardless, need to watch more Korean shit.

Obviously

The Wailing, Train to Busan, 3 irons

>just wanna watch a comfy movie
>look on my drive
>Only Age of Shadows left
>2:20long
Fug

No no, i mean it causes depression. It's a very sad movie - it rips off themes from other sad romantic movies and amps them up quite a bit.

splendid, gonna watch it.

is it about the car accident?

its not comfi desu

No
>couple falls in love
>girls gets Alzheimers
>you cry

Prison, Villainness, The truth beneath
ah yeah. It was ok I guess. I mistook it for Remember you

Its a really romantic and sad movie, more romantic than sad.

These are some older movies that I enjoyed but didn't see in the list:
Nowhere to Hide (1999)
Take Care of My Cat (2002)
No Blood No Tears (2002)
Untold Scandal (2003)
Once Upon a Time in High School (2004)

Newer movies:
A Taxi Driver

fug :DD

>Joen Do Yeon