Rian Johnson?

I'm honestly curious.

Before it came out, TLJ was hyped largely because it was being written/directed by Rian Johnson. Then, when it came out, fans who praised it were derided as Rian fanboys.

But in all seriousness, why the fuck was he hyped to begin with? I'm not saying he was necessarily good or bad, just that he hadn't really done anything of note. Brick? A decent indie flick. Brothers Bloom? An adequate, lighthearted flick. Looper? A decent popcorn movie. None of them were bad, but none were particularly good.

What did this guy do to gain any sort of a following before TLJ? People were praising Disney's decision like it was some masterstroke, like they'd landed some big name, proven director.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wbfiogkwEoE
youtu.be/FyyqOVRXOQA?t=13m23s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He directed a couple of highly-regarded episodes of one the most overrated TV shows of all time, so everyone assumed he could do no wrong, including Disney, and gave near-full creative control to him.

Nobody really knew that he's actually not very talented until recently with this stink bomb.

Having a generally good track record for what little body of work he had, coupled with the fact that he wasn't a big studio director like JJ meant that he could potentially bring something new to the table. This was especially the case since TFA was largely a rehash of another movie. A lot of people believed Rian could deliver a fresh take on the series.

>3 episodes of breaking bad

Oh, for fuck's sake, Disney. You gave him control of your biggest property for that?

Looper, for being a relatively unknown movie, did pretty well.

It was a 'fresh' take, but one that managed to introduce eagles tier logical gaps (actually, much worse than that) into the old movies and seems to have intentionally been designed to insult the old fans.

Like the scene where Luke tosses youngling slayer over his shoulder. When Yoda nukes the Jedi tree. You can't tell me that these weren't intentional. "Let go of the past" is one of the central messages of this movie, and in this context it's more or less explicitly referring to old fans, old movies and old EU.

Funnily enough, remember the OT and how Yoda constantly admonishes Luke for always thinking in the future, now in these new movies he criticizes him for being stuck in the past. It would almost be poetic if not for the attempted youngling slaying that fully reverted any character development we saw in Luke in the OT.

>tfw will never live in the alternate universe where based snyder got to write and direct episodes 7-9

Rian was working on shit marterial The Force Awakens.

Didn't he do Ozymandias?

Fuck that was so good. What happened Rian

>What happened Rian
See

Those were actual, non-meme shills.

Ozymandias was an episode Bravo Vince spent 6 years building up to. There's no way Rian just walked in and made that GOAT shit himself, it was too important an episode to not have Vince all over it

He didn't write Ozymandias.

Kennedy and JewJew happened poor guy, but now he has his own trilogy and Im sure disney will let him more freedom in this.

I actually enjoyed Looper when I saw it in the theater, and it certainly had its moments, but it's one of those films that I liked less and less the more I thought about it. Characters and scenes were good, but it's just nearly fucking impossible to write a good time travel script that holds up.

>Before it came out, TLJ was hyped largely because it was being written/directed by Rian Johnson.

people only cared about fucking luke skywalker to return.

He directed both the best and worst episodes of Breaking Bad. I didn't come into TLJ with high hopes

It didn't revert anything since Luke didn't kill him and was terrified and ashamed of his own instinctive action.
Why are you all so fucking retarded?

>Like the scene where Luke tosses youngling slayer over his shoulder.
Honestly, despite all the shit in this movie, that sticks out to me as the worst scene in the entire fucking franchise. It's just one, giant fuck you. It doesn't even make sense in the context of the already shitty story.

You just described how I feel about TLJ

I legit enjoyed watching it in the theatre but in hindsight it was full of flaws that I was having too much fun to care about at the time

Shills are real.

>having expectations for a tent pole film based upon two television episodes

That's the shit that gets me. He could've been good OR bad, but for Disney to give him carte blance with this entire series is just fucking insane.

What's the worst one?

Sure, but the hype for this movie was real and widespread. It extended far, far beyond shills. Shilling will only take something so far. This was real, organic hype.

fly

He wasn't given carte blanche. Kennedy made him director because he was irrelevant enough to be easily controlled.

The one with the drugs and the bald guy.

Aw man I actually love that episode. It was extremely important in terms of characterisation, but I guess I understand why it bored people

Oh it's okay that his first instinct was to go murder someone who didn't even do anything wrong when he was willing to accept death rather than kill someone in anger.

as long as you're not super mad when you're kinslaying it doesn't count ;^)

t. pleb

Actual pleb detected. That episode is excellent

Every single account of the production of this film, from the actors to the studio to the director himself, points to Johnson having nearly unprecedented creative control. That whole brain trust that Disney was supposed to have to guard the story had virtually no input for this film. This is 100% Johnson. He wrote and directed this shit himself.

I know a lot on Sup Forums will lump all who like Breaking Bad at all to be auto pleb status. But the true pleb test is what epsiode an individual chooses as the best and the worst of the series.

And I fucking guarantee every time that the pleb will choose Fly as the worst

As the age old saying goes, "The mark of the true plebian is those who express hate unto Fly"

>he was willing to accept death rather than kill someone in anger
Yeah, after he beat the shit out of that someone in blind fury. Igniting the saber and instantly realizing that it's wrong and horrible is nothing compared to that.

>luke has instincts to kill his nephew, a kid
>luke runs away because he's scared
>luke leaves a map to find him, but for reasons doesn't actually want to be found
>luke sulks on a small island for 30 years
>luke abandons virtually everything he was taught by yoda and obi won
>luke because a cynical brat
>luke hates the jedi so he abandons the force completely
>luke tosses lightsaber over his shoulder casually the first time he sees it
>luke is a complete dick to some girl he's never met without even talking to her
>luke is a complete dick to chewie

All these anti-cinema millenials being mad a director was given directorial control of his film. Go call your daddy Feige and ask him to reshoot another film for you. Faggots.

He didn't leave the map, that old guy made the map to the first Jedi temple himself because he thought that is where Luke went.

>trolling sw fans
>trolling millenials
>trolling mcu

Nicely done, all in one single shit post.

I always said this guy was a hack. His indie flick Brick is absolute garbage and you can tell from there that there's something wrong. Why did he get a budget to turn a very bad student film into mainstream? How did he get all the praise for such a shit movie, it's awful in every perspective. Then he made Looper which isn't as bad but you clearly see he lacks talent, and his cinematography is dogshit. I saw TLJ's disaster coming, he looked way too cool, no pressure guy. If you're that relaxed doing a SW film, there's something wrong with you.

>What did this guy do to gain any sort of a following before TLJ?
He's just an emasculated cuck specifically selected to direct mousewars.
youtube.com/watch?v=wbfiogkwEoE

>While writing “The Last Jedi,” the writer-director Rian Johnson moved to San Francisco, spending three months working closely with the story group to develop ideas for the film. Ms. Hart credits Mr. Johnson with the decision to introduce diverse characters for “The Last Jedi.” Of the new cast members, several are women, including Rose Tico, played by Kelly Marie Tran, the first Asian-American women to star in the saga.

>“The characters that end up on screen are there because there is a groundswell of energy around this idea of creating a more honest reflection of the world around us,” Ms. Hart said, “and it’s coming from people all over the process. That feels miraculous, and really hopeful, not just for ‘Star Wars,’ but for movies in general.”

>being this retarded
The Luke from the OT would never have acted on the moment of doubt with kylo. By acted, I mean that luke would never have walked in kylo's tent in the first place. It completely goes against his character arc of being a good hearted person and wanting to work with people regardless of faults that person might have. After all, Luke learned this from obi wan and obi wan trained Anakin, even though everyone literally told him not to.

>go to all-women story group for ideas
>they don't actually have any but they yes-man the fuck out of casting a fat ugly gook in the movie
Bravo, Hollywood.

>creating a more honest reflection of the world around us
these retards actually thinks movies are supposed to be a more engaging version of watching people walk by on the street, not inspiring heroic journeys or similar

>playing it safe always ends in disaster

Yeah, they're women.

It was shill hype. The narrative was that he was an indy director and hardcore Star Wars fanboy. But anyone who did more than a minute of reading saw Rian for what he was. An obedient yes-man utterly beholden to Kathleen Kennedy an her Story Group commisars.

>"I moved up to San Francisco for a few months, and every few weeks I would go in and sit down with [Lucasfilm's] Kiri Hart and her whole story group team, and I would just put everything I was thinking of up on the white board and just bounce it off everyone — just see what everyone thought. Having that kind of gut check — not just for, 'Wait, don't do that,' but for, 'Yeah, you can do that. If that's interesting to you, take that path' — having that permission from somebody, I think that had a lot to do with it."

He really does exude that simpering meekness so contemptable in men yet so common among nu-males.

>Its only through the righteous do no wrong self insert mary sue that he sees why hes wrong
>Rey will succeed where luke failed and bring balanc to the force and train the next generation
This is the shit that angers me. They make it so obvious that they're purposefully tearing down Luke and what came before so they make their new shiny less interesting character hog all the spotlight.

where was this said in the movies?

who the fuck is this person to have any sort of say in this matter what so ever

When Rian Johnson was announced I was excited because it meant that TLJ would have a 50% chance of being good and a 50% of being a total disaster, which is preferable to a guy like JJ Abrams who always makes bland forgettable shit. Turned out to be a disaster but at least it has plenty of meme potential

Any good way to make a Creeper deck work?

>Haunted Creeper
>Tar Creeper
>Corridor Creeper
>Bog Creeper
>Fen Creeper

>playing Fen Creeper
>intentionally
No.

He's an indie hack who makes garbage and Kathleen Kennedy is a stupid fucking cunt for hiring him. You need to hire people who can do action/adventure. Fucking Hell the guy who made the new Jumanji would have been a better choice!!!FACT!!!

The first scene.

It was to get rid of kathleen kennedy and replace her with a jew.

star wars is for everyoine go back to pol u biggot

>just nearly fucking impossible to write a good time travel script that holds up.

Primer (although it gets needlessly convoluted IMO), 12 Monkies and Terminator, and Back to The Future disagree

Rian is a brainlet.

>Star Wars becomes "for everyone"
>Star Wars becomes unforgivably shitty
Maybe the Nazis had a point.

She is a political officer. After the Disney purchase, Kathleen Kennedy invented the Lucasfilm Storygroup and appointed Kiri Hart as its leader. Previously, she was a Nobody writer with no official Star Wars credentials. The same is true for every other woman in the Storygroup. But they are all on agreement with Kennedy about the new and diverse direction they want to take the franchisr. The only guys, and the only two people with Star Wars credentials involved with the Storygroup, Chee and Hidalgo, were placed in subordinate roles and evidence suggests that they are only minimally involved with the group's activities.

The Storygroup was officially established after the Disney purchase to make sense of the Star Wars canon. They completed this task very quickly when they canonized the films, Clone Wars, and Rebels, discarding everything else. Despite having served their primary role, the Storygroup has persisted and now acts as an arbiter of every creative decision made by writers involved with Star Wars media. Comparing them to Soviet commisars is not inaccurate. They exist outside the traditional production hierarchy, answering to Kathleen Kennedy, ensuring new directors and writers conform to the Party lines.

What i am more curious about is this news i read a few weeks before the movie came out, which said that "Disney likes Rian Johnson so much that they allow him to direct a trilogy". What the fuck did they like? And is that deal off now ?

Looper was just an OK film with a plethora of plotholes, pretentious twists and a looong boring pace.... just like TLJ. Never uderstood why they gave him the new SW film... Kennedy did fuck up bad...

You will the people of the Jedi Academy an ideal to strive towards...

NoI don't think so, he admitted he had to get his ideas checked by Kiri Hart's story group. And at the end he script has been reviewd by Kathleen Kennedy and maybe other Disney execs. They approved this shit, they are as much responsible if not more. But I blame the fanboys who let JJ Abrams get away with TFA. Disney execs thoughts if TFA passed, anything can.

Star Wars isn't just a thing for socially alienated white men/boys anymore. It's grown beyond that little niche, and it also needs to lose the baggage associated with whiteness/maleness to reach a larger audience and have more influence.

Lots of the lessons and teachings embodied by Luke Skywalker are white, masculine and western in character. They've been done to death. The monomyth, Joseph Campbellian structure is dated and stale, and it can't keep running on those fumes forever.

I sympathize with lots of the grumbling white male neckbeards are doing. Star Wars was their thing and they don't want to share their beloved toys. And they're obviously gonna hate The Last Jedi because, in essence, it's about how Luke's legend really was flawed and limited in its scope.

The Jedi philosophy, just like the phallocentric white male western patriarchy, was bogged down in its own dogma. There's something beautiful and touching about the sentiment of "passing the torch" in TLJ. The white western male, long held as the only source of heroism and power in the canon, gracefully steps aside not only for his own good, but for the good of the universe.

In more diverse and progressive hands, there's no telling what this universe, and the force along with it, might become. It's an exciting prospect, to say the least, for those who aren't embittered neckbeards living in their parents' basements.

TLJ is going to be a watershed moment in sci-fi and genre films generally. It's all about letting go, letting your creation grow beyond you. And Star Wars, like civilization itself, has evolved beyond its parochial and patriarchal past.

There was literally nothing wrong with this character.

Look at her smile, it's the duper's delight. She knows George can't do anything at this point because this was taken right after he signed the deal with Disney.

>beat up +25 armed Space SS with a broom stick

nice pasta

How about posting your actual opinions.

Luke has been in the island for 6 YEARS you fuckwitt, but thanks for trying...

youtu.be/FyyqOVRXOQA?t=13m23s

13m23s - 13m45

People were excited because he wasn't JJ. Now we know that JJ is back for IX, is anybody actually excited to see it?

>there is a groundswell of energy around this idea of creating a more honest reflection of the world around us
This is the biggest problem. Star Wars is not OUR world. I couldn't give a rat's ass if another human race was included. Show us the fucking aliens. It's a fucking space adventure for crying out loud. There's so much wriggle room with the kind of characters you can introduce, yet they're only focused on their race politics. Rose could have been Twi'lek or something and the story would have worked. They casted an asian just for an accurate representation of "our" world.

Does the director even matter much in a cancerous Disney property? I'm sure they constantly intervened and made retarded demands.

Fly was a shitty ass episode i dont know what you're talking about.

It's also pretty fucking hypocritical seeing as they're still raping the franchise for money

>He really does exude that simpering meekness so contemptable in men yet so common among nu-males.

And that's why he was hired. He's Kennedy's bitchboy!!!FACT!!!

It's true.
I imagine that after Abrams, anyone could be better.

Brick and Looper were pretty unanimously liked on here and pretty every part of the Internet that cares about film until TLJ came out when they've now been retconned to people saying they're bad or just okay.

Well the premise of that episode was invalidated when he later has an open air meth lab

Oh no no no no. Disney has "zero" involvement with the films. The Porgs were clearly a Rian Johson idea on how to incorporate the puffins that were inhabiting the island they filmed Luke's scenes. Rather than just make them into something in the background Rian believed it better to make them into a marketing campaign and have every scene they're in be something for the audience to say "AAAAWWWW!!" It wasn't Disney demanding something they could market to kids and parents in this movie where we see a guy get cut in half and watch his body slump onto the floor, see a guy get a lightsaber stabbed into his face or watch a woman go up in flames as she sacrifices herself to blow up an enemy ship. Remember, Star Wars is a kids movie and nothing more.

>want to be alone and die
>go where numerous people will suspect you to go

Lol ok

BOY

You guys are idiots if you think Rian Johnson had much creative control for this film. Episode VIII is a bland mess that was written by committee of Disney execs with no understanding or love for the SW universe.

>wow, my father's lightsaber
then it gets chucked away like a piece of trash. What the heck. Especially when Maz had made a big deal about it in the Force Awakens movie... just so many strange moments like this that do not line up with past movies. Is it a "fresh" take on past characters, sure, but not fresh in a positive sense

I think you're talking about Jake Skywalker, not Luke

He said he liked the prequels so I was excited for some callbacks to the PT. In the end we got Luke referring to how the Jedi were corrupt assholes in RotS and namedropping Darth Sidious, which I appreciated, but that was it.

Much better than JJ just pretending the prequels didn't happen.

Not only that. Luke purposefully leaves the piece of the map with the Resistance as if it was done to keep his location a secret and for them to find him when the time is right. Now he never wanted to be found. Then why didn't he just destroy that piece of the map? Why allow it to be acquired by the resistance and make it seem like this was intentional? Oh right, it's because Rian was told he could incorporate the things JJ was building up in his movies or simply ignore them and he chose the latter, making everything in the first movie come off as pointless.

Here's the big bad guy. Let's just kill him off now and not bother explaining anything about him as it would one wonder why someone like him stayed in the shadows throughout all of the Prequels and OT without being noticed by either Sidious who apparently was the most powerful dark side user around and could cloud the Jedi's ability to use the Force properly or any of the Jedi.

Rey seems to have some important reason for why she was brought to Jakku as we keep seeing these flashbacks and when she touches the lightsaber Luke and Anakin used she was able to have visions of their past indicating there's some connection between her and them. LOL nope she was just random girl sold off by her parents who are literal who's that will never be brought up again and she just so happens to be the best Jedi there ever was.

Even ignoring the fact that they're casting new actors purely to fit an agenda, stuffing any more characters into this movie was bad writing on its own. Having the four principals from the previous film plus two characters from the original trilogy is already enough to deal with without adding a bunch of characters and their storylines.

You're just mad you EXPECTATIONS weren't met and that's the point of this movie. You gotta just let go (another great and timely theme of this movie) and accept what's given to you even if it contradicts everything you were shown or told in the previous movie. It's called making a good movie and to be quite honest it's something we as the fans needed if not deserved.

>youngling slayer

Luke's path between ROTJ and TLJ is insane.

Between ESB and ROTJ he has already a pick and choose approach to what Yoda taught him. He studied the Force, but he didn't let go of his feelings for Leia, Han and the Rebellion.

Apparently after ROTJ he drinks the Old Republic Era Jedi Order Kool-Aid that turned his father into an emotionally stunted, violent man and led to him falling into the darkside. ROTJ would have thought this was bullshit and used what he learned by himself instead.

And only when he fails his nephew by thinking of murdering him in his sleep does he realize the old Jedi teachings were actually garbage? Once again, OT Luke would have realized this a long time ago.

We don't even know what was in the books. Were these the teachings applied by the Jedi Order at the time of the Old Republic? It seems to be, because Luke says he learned that the old Jedi Order was corrupt. If trying to apply these teachings led to Ben's downfall, why be so adamant to keep them around? Why is it supposed to be a good thing for Rey to own them now? Isn't she just going to repeat the Jedi Order's (and Luke's) mistakes?

I'M DYING RIAN

>Funnily enough, remember the OT and how Yoda constantly admonishes Luke for always thinking in the future, now in these new movies he criticizes him for being stuck in the past.

Yoda has always been about the whole Buddhist mentality of living in the now rather than dwell on the past or constantly think about the future both of which you don't have much control over.

>A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
>More honest reflection of the world around us

These retards didn't even read the first piece of text in the movie much less watch them all.