1 Year Later: Thoughts on DC Rebirth

So, what do you guys think of DC Rebirth so far? I personally think it's return to form for DC Comics
Good stuff:
>DC Universe Rebirth #1
>Batman
>The Flash and Kid Flash and the Rogues
>The Button
Meh stuff:
>Teen Titans
>Cyborg (This one really bored me)
>Detective Comics

What's the verdict on Hal Jordan and the GLC? I was thinking of getting into it if it's any good, I'm in the market for some sci-fi space comic book action.

DC has managed to turn me off the main Superbooks for the second time in 8 years though. Tired of all this back and forth nonsense. I thought I'd like more pre-FP stuff coming back there but it has just made me feel worse.

But on the positive side, Deathstroke and New Super-Man are great. A lot of other good stuff depending on your taste.

Priest's Deathstroke is one of the best books to come out of it, if not the best.

Still missing too many characters like Shazam, Booster Gold, and Plastic Man.

what's Deathstroke about? I've heard great things so far

The Button is fucking trash. It reads like fan fiction.
"Then Batman and his dad, also Batman, beat up a bunch of invading soldiers, without guns or traps or gadgets. Then Batdad decides to an hero."
Wow, what a fucking story.
Also, Bruce saying "I have a son" is bullshit. You have at least two sons.

Basically Slade is a giant cockmongling abusive asshole to his family.

>What's the verdict on Hal Jordan and the GLC? I was thinking of getting into it if it's any good, I'm in the market for some sci-fi space comic book action.
it's alright

kind of crowded and the pacing is clunky but worth a read

For me

Pull list
>Batman
>Detective Comics
>The Flash

Cool Tier
>Superman
>New Super-Man
>Trinity

Don't care enough to follow tier
Everything else

It's mediocre and boring overall but Deathstroke and New Super Man are great

the first issue was pretty good

following issues not so much, but that's because Williamson isn't a very good writer

so far, Rebirth has been great on the whole, while there's been a few bits that are still stupid, such as justice league Cyborg, and batgirl.

But stuff like Superman/Action Comics and Batman have so far been really good.

Superman in particular is such a huge return to form, and in general, they've actually managed to make Damian likable by pairing him with Jon, which makes for a nice contrast, and really makes him work better. The lead in to Super Sons, (in the name of the Father) was really great

The first issue was awesome because it showed just how powerless Batman would be if someone with power decided they were tired of his batgod bullshit. The last time I saw something like that was when Future Supes showed up in the cave and started to wreck shit in Superman / Batman back in the day.

That and Eobard being the petty bastard that he is was nice

The first issue was decompressed trash that only a Thawnefag would like

>decompressed
I don't think you know what that word means

It's about Slade cucking his entire family - one by one. World's Best Dad.

First issue was very cool actually, as I think most fans would agree

Good Stuff
Yang, Lobdell
Meh Stuff
Action Comics, Superman, Supergirl, Superwoman, Detective Comics, Batman, Nightwing, Batwoman, Batgirl, Birds of Prey

The first issue was good because King took advantage of it being a Watchmen story. He incorporated the 9 panel grid as well as a clock/countdown. He at least tried, Williamson just made it generic capeshit.

Great stuff. Like how they reinserted in titans and deathstroke history and reverse flash and wally history. And superman history and blue beetle pre late 90s.

Nu52 lost me around a year in, but Rebirth is treating me well.

Most books I've picked up are at least fun, even if they're fairly trashy, stuff like Suicide Squad. RHatO and TT are better than I thought they'd be. Green Arrow's probably my favourite book of the bunch, and Super Sons is turning out to be pretty excellent - looking forward to seeing how it progresses past the initial arc more than anything else.

It's been consistently good with a few surprises(RHATO, New Super-Man, Green Lanterns, Flintstones).

Can't wait for JSA, Captain Marvel, New Gods, etc.

This. The stylization was what made it so great

Slade is a giant asshole

How's the final battle with Dr. Manhattan going to go down?

(I know there probably won't be one, they'll defeat him off-panel using the power of love or something, but it's fun to imagine.)

>Manhattan spends the better part of the issue tearing apart the newly-formed Justice League
>he kills the pre-52 Superman
>Batman has created a device that can negate Manhattan's intrinsic field, Manhattan walks into it and gets fucked
>the crew expresses their relief that the menace has been defeated
>everyone's celebration is short-lived when they realize Manhattan has made 100 copies of himself and they weren't even scratched

Manhattan is probably a red herring, they're foreshadowing it almost too hard

although maybe I'm giving Johns too much credit

Hal Jordan is great.

No way would they be doing that Captain Atom mini if they weren't going to link it to Manhattan in some way. Not to mention all the references and hints about him in Titans.

In addition to the badge, the dialouge at the end of the first issue, and 'Mr. Oz' who is probably Adrian.

All they say in Titan is that Abra Kadabra isn't the one who made waly disappear and then lillith pulls from his mind the word Manhattan.

Oh absolutely, I was mostly referring to the less obvious bits of foreshadowing.

And I will be very surprised if Mr. Oz isn't Adrian in the end.

And then they move to Manhattan because of that clue, and keep bringing it up over and over. They wouldn't do that if it wasn't leading to something bigger.

Anyone who says Rebirth isn't a DC renaissance is lying or being a Sup Forumsntrarian

Great books:

RHATO
Green Arrow
Titans
Deathstroke
Hal Jordan
Supersons

Good stuff:
Nightwing
Teen Titans
Superman
Detective
Flash

Okay stuff:
Teen Titans
Aquaman (started off strong but dwindled)
Wonder Woman (art good, Rucka terrible)

Downright bad:
BoP

That's all I've read I think but I'm sure I'm missing some.

The year one bit of Wonder Woman is pretty great, I think. Though I'd add Justice League to the "downright bad" category.

> Meh stuff
> Detective Comics

Shitty taste detected

I agree, it should be in garbage-tier

I'm loving Rebirth

Fight me

Mostly about Slade abusing his entire family, it's pretty great

I like the Superbooks, they're comfy

Pre Flashpoint Superman will just talk to Manhattan and he'll agree to fuck off somewhere else while apologizing for the New 52.

>I like the Superbooks, they're comfy

I can't get to the point of being fair about the content. They jerked me around with the new 52, I came back, then they do it again. I might just give up on the franchise entirely at this point. They've killed my spirit.

New Super-Man is one of my favourite new capeshit of the last decade. On top of that it's diversity done right (actual diverse creator, not in your face or advertised with diversity, just a natural and well written story)
Red Hood and the Outlaws has been a nice treat
King's Batman started out rough but I like where it's at now
Superdad was a really fun arc though I haven't been impressed with Superman after that point (haven't read Reborn yet though)
Wonder Woman is a huge disappointment after Azz's New 52 run, and similarly Aquaman has also been a slight step down from the New 52

A little disappointed by the lack of frige titles in Rebirth compared to New 52. I miss stuff like Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Demon Knights, All Star Western, and I Vampire though hopefully if the Legion of Superheroes and New Gods books do well we'll start going beyond the core fan favorites

Have you been reading the Young Animal stuff? If you want fringe, that's probably your best bet at the moment,

There won't be a fight. Barry will reason with him after watching Reverse Flash get btfo. Manhattan will explain his reasons for influencing shit, Barry and Bruce will have some revelations, and Barry will ask about Reverse Flash at which point Doc will say nothing ever ends and leave which will led into the Reverse Flash arc

>Lobdell set the bar so low people think this volume of RHATO is good

Just Doom Patrol. It and Flintstones are easily in my top 5 for DC outside of main Rebirth stuff

He should probably make Manhattan apologize for for splitting him into two.

take a peek at Shade the Changing Girl, best of the YA stuff so far

still waiting on LOSH rebirth but i'm enjoying Superman until then

I get where you're coming from, but I would definitely recommend Superman and Action Comics. They cut through a lot of the New 52 bullshit. I haven't read Supergirl, but Superwoman is crap and can be avoided.

>someone reposts my OC

Nice

But it was dispersed thrugh the other bad story and I just prefered azzarello's run, and I didn't read Jl because I heard bad things.

>i cant enjoy things im told to

the storyline-switching is a good idea in theory but in practice kills the comic, honestly. It'd be much better if it focused on one thing at a time

I've tried both already. Just kind of venting I guess. Maybe I'll get over it again in another 5 years just in time for them to fuck me over yet again.

If Marvel Legacy is even half as good as DC rebirth, I'll be satisfied

I'm enjoying the Superman stories and giving Lois and Clark a son has done so much for their character development. I think Superman having a family is something that plays on the values that define the character in the first place, like it's symbolic of what he should be.

I'm worried about this. It's one of those things where everyone just agrees it's Manhattan based on the blatant clues, but DC at the last second goes "Aha! We never said it was Dr. Manhattan! Got you!" and it's really anti-climatic and annoying. It is very probable, considering it's been almost a year since Batman found the button, and nothing has really transpired

>it's actually Alan Moore
>or an Endless
can you imagine

top five coming out of it for me are:
Green Arrow
Batman
The Wild Storm
Deathstroke
Doom Patrol

second-tier:
all-star Batman
Gotham Academy Second Semester
Flintstones
Superman
Shade the Changing Girl

I'm not sticking strictly to rebirth books this is just rebirth era for me. I like it, lots of solid books and a few excellent ones. DC putting on some excellent creators. Can't wait for Tom King's New Gods book.

Also excited for more crisis-y/multiversal stuff. I don't think Watchmen characters need to be the sacred cows that they are but i understand the trepidation. Still, anything that involves all of dc coming together in one story is something I can get behind.

I concur, it belongs in shit-tier

I've really turned around on Scott Snyder. All-Star Batman has been a fun book with some cool premises

No, it's pretty shit. Deathstroke is the only one worth a read. Rest is Marvel tier. It seems to be bringing in a lot of new readers, but that's it.

>he kills the pre-52 Superman
There is no Pre New 52 Superman anymore just Superman.

disgusting nostalgia pandering with at least mediocre stories to back it up

The 90s are over fellas, and they were never good.

Cyborg is actually one of the best Rebirth books

Vertigo was pretty great
Morrison JLA was in the 90s
Astro City started in the 90s, at Image no less

90s was fun user but i'd rather have good comics than 90s nostalgia

the wait is suffering.

I doubt they'll have a fight.
I also doubt Manhattan will even look the same as he did in Watchmen. I feel like whatever change he went through between Watchmen #12 and Flashpoint, it makes Dr. Manhattan look like Jon Osterman. I sincerely doubt he'll be much of a "Man"hattan anymore. I'll be surprised if he's named on panel, too.

>Then Batman and his dad, also Batman, beat up a bunch of invading soldiers, without guns or traps or gadgets
But that didn't happen.

I think they'll come back as a group at the end of the Rebirth event.

As long as Alan isn't wearing that fucking Teapot, Imokwiththis.

I hope the battle between Manhattan and the DC universe ends with Superman and Manhattan having a philosophical discussion.

Superman is probably perplexed with the idea of superman anyway, I'd love for those two to to sit down and half a talk. Especially with the fate of the DC universe as the stake.

It's been a pretty character-focused book. There's nothing in the story that has been linking it to that.

If anything, they seem to be taking his character back to his 80's self and removing all similarities to Manhattan.

It's campy fun but the art is unbearable and there's no heart to any of it

Yea it's been great. All of the "events" (using the term loosely here) have been very solid.
>DC Universe Rebirth
>Justice League vs. Suicide Squad
>Superman Reborn
>The Button

And desu I don't read THAT many DC books, but what I've been loving all of these since the #1.
>Action Comics
>Wonder Woman
>All-Star Batman
>Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps

Other good/interesting books
>I Am Gotham
(haven't really liked the rest of the series)
>Young Animal imprint
I know it's not technically part of DC Rebirth, but it's a sign that DC knows what the fuck it's doing.
>Deathstroke/Detective Comics/Superman
Heard amazing things about these, especially Deathstroke.

It's fucking JLU A.M.A.Z.O.

>what's Deathstroke about?

Being Dad of the Year.

Jesus what the fuck are you so upset about? Pretty much the whole internet agrees that the Superbooks are a return to form for DC.

>Tired of all this back and forth nonsense.
What the fuck does this mean?

I was very pleasantly surprised with the Superman Reborn arc. It had some 4th wall acknowledgement that seemed interesting and natural because it fit into and involved the canon relaunches. Besides that it cleverly served an important story function in merging the two supermans and hiding Clark's identity again.

It reminded me of Morrison's Animal Man arc that acknowledged Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Why the fuck would Dr. Manhattan leave Comedian Badges lying around anyway?

Action comics and Superman go hand in hand how did you only manage to pick one up? Not critiquing just wondering.

I agree with you DC rebirth has been great as a consumer so far. I've completely jumped ship from being a marvel fag to the DC ship and I haven't looked back.

he's literately perfect

Kenan is the best thing DC has done since originally killing Barry

Buy Super Sons.

Anyone else here only read the volumes that come out? i cant read the trades bi-monthly, so im only ever caught up as far as the volumes are out.

ive read and liked
>batman vol 1, 2
(it's no scott snyder but it's solid)
>deathstroke vol 1
(pretty confusing but im looking forward to reading more)
>superman vol 1
(least favorite, but the father/son dynamic is good)

what else should i be putting on my to read list as far as rebirth goes?
is the hellblazer any good?

It's ironic because rebirth is 90s as fuck. Lobdell, Jurgens, Dixon all belong to the bad part of the 90s. Rebirth is more mindless than those ass retarded Image comics from the 90s.

The Flash is trash. Bad art and lame writing.

This. 90s had a lot more great comics than what is being published today. Anyone who thinks 90s were bad is a confirmed newfag who has never touched a comic before mid 2000s or is a diehard marvelfag.

pull
>Superman
>Action comics
>Batman
>Flash
>Deathstroke
>Aquaman
>HJ&co
>GLs

win-o
>Detective comics
>Titans
>Teen Titans

Great tier
>Deathstroke
>Superman
>RHatO
>Green Lanterns
>Flintstones
>Aquaman
Good tier
>Nightwing
>Batman
>Wonder Woman
>The Flash
>Titans

Meh tier
>Detective Comics
>Action Comics(To me good tier but its inconsistent)
>Teen Titans
>Green Arrow (art is amazing but stories not interesting to me)

Shit tier
>Justice Leauge
>Batgirl
>Harley Quinn

I want to read HJatGLC, The Hellblazer, Birds of Prey so if anyone is reading thoughts on those books are appriciated.

Oh and also pulling New Super-man and Trinity.

And RHATO

Same both great.

Really liking it so far. RhatO has been a pleasant surprise.

Deathstroke is basically Death Note only instead of being an intense game of cat and mouse its about the absolutely insane ways Slade fucks with his kids. Dont worry if you dont 100% get it just enjoy the ride.

That's a fun book

I just can't get how they keep tearing down the stories I've enjoyed over and over again. Like this is even what I originally wanted and it still doesn't feel good. Already said it was more about the means than the actual material though. Just the whole thing makes me sick. I can't enjoy it.

The Button is the most unneeded crossover in recent memory

>Pulling Flash and pirating Titans

You're scum, user.

It's pure unfiltered cancer.