Character gets exposed to space

>character gets exposed to space
>starts freezing up

WHY DO THEY KEEP DOING THIS??? THAT'S NOT HOW SPACE WORKS.

Other urls found in this thread:

aerospaceweb.org/question/atmosphere/q0291.shtml
youtube.com/watch?v=pm6df_SExVw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Only works on males. Leia got power up in space.

its how cold works

To trigger you personally

because getting turned inside out wouldn't be appealing to general audiences

You don't freeze in seconds if you're in space unprotected, because there's nowhere to go for the heat of your body.

And here we have an example of an average watcher. He probably is subscribed to the Black Science Guy and yet his knowledge of physics is on a level of a 7-grader.
Good on you, user, you captured it really well.

Unless you are touching something cold in space, you would retain your heat for quite a while... The only means of losing heat if you aren't touching something (to directly transfer heat to) is to radiate it, and we don't radiate heat fast enough to freeze rapidly, it would take hours.

On topic, because its a children's super hero movie, why do you fucking care?

>you wouldn’t radiate heat in a black body
Ahh bloo bloo

Someone sounds insecure. How long have you been waiting to use that line, champ?

It's very difficult to conduct heat into outer space because there's very little for it to be transferred to. One of the big issues for spacecraft is yet to g rid of the heat generated within.

What would happen if you fell into a black hole?

>tfw memers of the Galaxy has more internal consistency and stakes than Star Wars

Wouldn't the heat from your body just conduct to all the air and shrapnel that's floating around you?

you would see God because that's where God lives

You likely have a far-less comprehensive understanding of space science than you clearly think, boyo.

Probably not because the air would expand too fast.

>he thinks what lies beyond the event horizon it's a mystery
Go to /sci/ and ask, they have it all figured it out and will angrily tell you all about it

How does space work tho...

>Caring about the realism of a minor thing in a capeflick with a pacman fight and 'splosions
The guy next to him is literally wearing a magical space suit

>ice chunks just start appearing on you even though there's no water vapor in a vacuum
k

>let me tell you all about this thing I don't know anything about

Due to the almost complete absence of pressure the water in your body would boil, and then the water vapour almost immediately would desublimate to ice due to the rapidly decreasing density/rapidly increasing molecular rarity vastly increasing the surface area over which the droplets can lose heat

>inb4 you can't exchange heat in space

you can
you don't have convection or conduction but radiation still works fine

Why didn't the green bitch freeze in space in the first one?

your body has more than sufficient internal pressure to prevent your fluids from vaporizing
externally, it's only a 1atm pressure difference, the human body can easily with stand more.

The only part that would have issues immediately would be your lungs due to the air still trapped within being capable of rupturing the much more fragile lung tissue

so, while it seems counterintuitive, to maximize your survival in vacuum the first thing to do is exhale. If you do that you've got about a minute to a 90 seconds before you die of decompression sickness, but as long as you're reeled in before that, full recovery is all but guaranteed

> and then the water vapour almost immediately would desublimate to ice due to the rapidly decreasing density/rapidly increasing molecular rarity vastly increasing the surface area over which the droplets can lose heat

that's true though? that's how it works

In layman's terms cold is lack of heat, in space the heat conductivity is very low so you will lose your heat slowly, which means you won't freeze in seconds, probably not even in an hour.

The moisture comes from the atmosphere that was blown out into space with them.
The cold comes from the rapid decompression of the atmosphere that was blown out into space with them.

Sure, it's not ALL your bodily fluids, but any moisture in your dermis/epidermis is going to get sucked out

Doesn't it take close to 50 minutes for a 180lbs human to fully freeze in space, and that's almost entirely due to IR heat loss?

in fact some areas of space have an ambient temperature of several thousand degrees simply because the scant few atoms around were deposited there by a recent (in astronomical terms) supernova
heck even the nebula we see from earth have a low enough density they would be considered lab grade vacuum on earth

Or your eyes/nose/mouth

Or your various other orifices

>ywn get a blowjob from the cold vacuum of space

actually feels all right

Actually you would boil before you froze, space has no pressure.

only the moisture not contained by your arteries or cellular membranes
so basically nothing, if it were not for the other effects of decompression a human with an oxygen supply could last hours before dying of cold

holy shit why nobody told me that

Include me in the screencap

this, the theater went completely silent during yundu's death, when luke evaporated I could hear people starting asking questions

>The first thing you would notice is the lack of air. You wouldn't lose consciousness straight away; it might take up to 15 seconds as your body uses up the remaining oxygen reserves from your bloodstream, and -- if you don't hold your breath -- you could perhaps survive for as long as two minutes without permanent injury.
>If you do hold your breath, the loss of external pressure would cause the gas inside your lungs to expand, which will rupture the lungs and release air into the circulatory system. The first thing to do if you ever find yourself suddenly expelled into the vacuum of space is exhale.
The other things, you can't really do much about. After about 10 seconds or so, your skin and the tissue underneath will begin to swell as the water in your body starts to vaporise in the absence of atmospheric pressure. You won't balloon to the point of exploding, though, since human skin is strong enough to keep from bursting; and, if you're brought back to atmospheric pressure, your skin and tissue will return to normal.
>It also won't affect your blood, since your circulatory system is able to keep your blood pressure regulated, unless you go into shock. The moisture on your tongue may begin to boil, though, as reported by Jim LeBlanc, who was exposed to near vacuum in a test chamber in 1965.
>Because you will be exposed to unfiltered cosmic radiation, you can expect some nasty sunburn, and you'll probably also get a case of decompression sickness.You would not, however, freeze straight away, despite the extremely cold temperatures; heat does not leave the body quickly enough for you to freeze before you suffocate, due to the lack of both convection and conduction.
>If you do die in space, your body will not decompose in the normal way, since there is no oxygen. If you were near a source of heat, your body would mummify; if you were not, it would freeze.

Because it's wrong

hum, sweetie, the vacuum is going to squeeze your fluids out like a sponge. It's true you don't freeze like they show you in the movie, in fact, it's much worse than that, in five minutes your whole body would liquify and turn into a gruesome red paste.

More than enough to create a film of ice like in the OP

>In a vacuum, there is no medium for removing heat from the body by conduction or convection. Loss of heat is by radiation from the 310 K temperature of a person to the 3 K of outer space. This is a slow process, especially in a clothed person, so there is no danger of immediately freezing.[20] Rapid evaporative cooling of skin moisture in a vacuum may create frost, particularly in the mouth, but this is not a significant hazard.

Heat flow from room temp radiation is tiny

wait if their magic space suit button protects you entirely from all hazards of space and deploys in a few seconds, couldn't they just take it on and off and share it that way?

it takes a while for people to die in space after all and it took only a few minutes for him to be rescued so putting on and taking off the suit every 30 seconds shouldn't have been to big a deal

Effects of space exposure depend on your movie's MPAA rating

so what DOES happen if you have no space suit in space?

has it been observed before

it has not been observed before people lie to us about space and the shape of the earth.

I suppose showing his eyeballs explode and tongue boil might not be pg13

What WOULD happen if you were blasted in to outer space unprotected?

Forgot to add, his blood would boil too.

>In 1965, a person was testing a pressure suit in a vacuum chamber at NASA Johnson Space Center in Texas. The suit began to leak and was accidentally depressurized to a near vacuum. The person lost consciousness in 14 seconds but repressurization of the chamber began within 15 seconds. Consciousness was regained in about 30 seconds with no reported ill effects, and the person later said that his last memory was of the saliva on his tongue starting to boil.

aerospaceweb.org/question/atmosphere/q0291.shtml

I think it is like being under water since there is no air or gravity under water just like in space but I do not think it is exactly the same because in space there is also no water but I do not know if water makes any difference but in water you can survive for several minutes if you know how to hold your breath but after that you will die because you need air to live and space is really cold so it is like being in ice cold water and in the movie Titanic Jack died because of the cold water and not because he could not breath because his head was over the water when he died but if his head had been under the water when he was still alive I do not know if he would have died of the cold water before he died because there was no air for him to breathe but in space you can not have your head out of the vacuum that is in space so I think that you will die of not being able to breath before you die of the cold but in an episode of The Simpsons Bart and Homer is in space and they explode like balloons but The Simpsons is a comedic television program so I do not think that would happen in real life.

SO WHAT THE FUCK WOULD IT LOOK LIKE?

Goddamn, all you experts in here telling us Last Jedi was wrong or some other user is wrong.

Well, don’t tell us the science of what happens—TELL US WHAT THE FUCK IT WOULD ACTUALLY LOOK LIKE

50 replies and not one of you autistic fucks describes it

holy shit my brain cells
I can't finish reading that

Read It was experimented on animals like ore than half a century ago.

I have seen japanese ladies in vacuum bags and they just squirm around for a bit but are perfectly alright when they are let out after 5 minutes

80-90's hollywood -
>When you're in space with no suit your eyes would pop and head blow up
00-10's hollywood -
>When you're in space with no suit you will instantly freeze to death covered in ice

What did they mean by this?

See

globalist bankers keep lying to us about the reality of "space!"

*blames jews* *grinds teeth*

Humans can survive in vacuum of space, (((they))) just don't want us to escape

Poor doggo. Why didn't they bring her back to earth??

>it's hard to lose heat if it's cold

OK retards, why do we even wear jackets and coats in cold weather? After all, it's difficult to loose heat. Oh wait, you're wrong.

If it's daytime, you burn to death from the sun, but if it's nighttime you freeze

>movie has a talking raccoon
>THAT'S NOT HOW SPACE WORKS

everytime manchilds do this, I laugh.

Because SCIENCE

here's a video that even retards like Sup Forums could understand

youtube.com/watch?v=pm6df_SExVw

basically you would lose all the air from your lungs and shit yourself

Wouldn't you sort of desiccate/freeze-dry as all the liquid sublimated out of your body through your pores?

that has nothing to do with consistency and everything to do with people not applying basic logic and "fans" not knowing anything.

I've heard several friends ask when Leia got force powers, cause nobody actually remembers the fuckin OT

some science boffin tell me this then

if most of an atom is just the tiny nucleus at the centre, and then electrons flying around miles away, whats in between all the "matter"?

is it just filled with whatevers around, like air?

>Retards ITT think your eyes would explode if exposed to a vacuum
The pressure difference between space and Earth is literally one atmosphere. Your tongue, eyes, lungs, etc. would boil, and you would pass out/die from lack of oxygen. Your lungs could rupture if you tried to hold your breath, since your diaphragm/intercostal muscles would be pulling against the pressure. No bloody explosions.

How could air molecules fit into something smaller than themselves.

Nightmare fuel.

My big brother's eye exploded when he looked into the sucking bit of a vacuum cleaner though. I don't mean exploded as in there were blood and bits everywhere but his eye got all red and shit so something in it exploded alright.

>the vacuum of space ≡ a vacuum cleaner

This is Sup Forums not The Darwin Awards.

This is stupid. You mean to tell me that when I go outside I'm only cold because my shoes are touching the ground?

I know the freezing shit wouldnt happen but what would actually happen and how long would it take? Suffocation cos no air?

Keep going. This could be the new "plane on treadmill."

You're cold because you are touching the air, dipshit.

>touching air

for dramatic effect and to troll manchildren to ague on shit websits

Like it's stupid. I get conductivity but I promise the soles of my shoes aren't 90F when it's 10F outside. The heat radiates away.

> What is a coat

Space does work like that, but it takes a long time for the heat to escape from your body since there's nothing for it to transfer to. More movies should do the nasty decompression, though.

>Yondu's death really got to me because he tried to do his best as a father figure even though he was flawed
>muh daddy issues
>Sup Forums shits the bed and complains about outer space being cold even though Yondu is a fucking alien with robot hair who can do anything

so when you get a bruise on your arm you say your arm exploded?

fucking idiot

That's a hard question, not because we don't know, but because it involves some pretty nifty quantum physics to have all the answers. You're dumb, user. You probably don't want the big hard explanation.

Basically, at a first approximation, nothing. There is nothing between the nucleus and the electrons. No air: air is composed of atoms, and inside the atoms there is a lot of free space. Why don't the atoms pass through each other, if they are mostly empty, then? Well, take pic related. It's mostly empty, but that doesn't mean you can pass another of those dodecahedron through the first. Empty != can be traversed freely.

Now, the hard question. Basically nucleus repel each other because of the electromagnetic force, and two quarks can't be at the same space because of the Pauli exclusion principle. What's more, electrons are only an probability wave inside atomic shells: in a sense, they are filling all their orbitals in a cloud-like way, and the atom isn't empty. Using quantum physics, even empty space is far from empty, and using QFT there are fields that permeate everything in the universe.

damn you're right. solar heat BTFO

Actually, could someone fill me in here? I understand why heat won't leave something in a vacuum as the heat has no where to move to. But, I don't know how to reconcile that with the sun radiating heat to Earth. Is it solely infrared?

yeah theres also no sound and a littany of other innacuracies
personally I dont let it trigger my autism, its about audience expectations anyway - I mean something needs to happen otherwise it won't look right

Wait atoms are made of meccano??

t. neil

light is hot

Thats wrong space isnt an absolute vacuum

You get to lurk and observe Murph's first masturbation

underrated post

Correct. Cold conducts through the earth. If you could somehow stay elevated above ground, you wouldn’t feel the effects.

The space between the individual parts of an atom is space. The universe is mostly space.