So with the year coming to an end, what was your favourite horror movie?

so with the year coming to an end, what was your favourite horror movie?

my pick is picrel, i hope theyll make another one.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/pKWB-MVJ4sQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This movie was garbage. Remove the okay-ish practical effects, and it has zero substance.

i dont feel that way

Watch more B-horror movies then, because there's nothing particularly good going on in the that movie.

The Void a meandering, paint-by-numbers story that uses trippy "lovecraftian" visuals as a substitute for doing anything interesting with it's characters, themes, or plot. It's one of those movies where it's clear that that the filmmaker's were so busy jerking off to how awesome their effects were going to be and how they would invoke similar feelings to other classic/actually good movies they were inspired by, and then went on to shoot a script that was written in one draft without realizing that the story is what made those effects so memorable and impactful in those actually good movies.

Flat one dimensional characters, wooden performances, and a narrative so predictable that calling the film derivative is an understatement.

While I liked The Void and applaud its use of practical effects, for best horror film I gotta go with Creep 2 or The Forest of Lost Souls.

true but seeing the competition it was still the best horrormovie in recent years.
and the atmosphere was great at times.

Not even remotely close, horror has been having a bit of a renaissance lately.

Again, broaden your horizons and watch more movies.

Hounds of Love

>derivative

That's the key word here. Same with stories in video game movies.
Everything nowadays is a fucking hommage/rip off/throwback/whatever of better things that came before. This movie for example was a terrible piece of shit without a single original thought behind.
From the beginning to the Lucio Fulci inspired ending. A huge waste of time, and the practical effects were pointless, not only because they were wasted in a terrible movie but also thanks to the bad editig. If they effects were so good you showcase them, not hide them behind fast editing.

Also, the worst excuse: comparing it to other recent horror movies to say it was the better one. That says absolutely zero about this movie. And you're also lying. Just from the top of my head two recent interesting horror movies: The Wailing and The Blackcoat's daughter. Keyword in my examples is interesting not great before anyone replies with:
>hurrdurr Both were boring.

IT was my favorite movie of the year.

holy shit dude did you decide to hate it before you watched it?
name a "perfect" horror movie made within the last 5 years

There's no such thing a perfect movie. Flawed movies can have value.

It just so happens that The Void is an incredibly flawed movie without a single original thought or idea.

The amount of shilling this horrible movie gets can only come from the directors themselves. Anyone else would just immediately forget this crap.

i'm so glad you took the time to blog your feelings and options, i'm so much more informed

strongly underrated

believe it or not, some people genuinely enjoyed it.

why do you like movies with shit acting and writing?

I think it has more to do with the fanboy mouthbreathers who think who've bought into the marketing meme that "practical effects automatically equals quality" without giving it any more thought. They put in the work to make it similar to the stuff that everyone likes on a surface level, so it must be good.

I blame Disney.

hated this shit.

My pick is one of these, probably Raw
>inb4 "but these are not horror"

Even dumbass normie movies like The Babadook and It Follows are more interesting than the Void, both narratively and on a technical level.

It did not surprise me to learn that it was funded by Indiegogo.

I haven't watched a single Horror movie released this year or last.

All of it looks bad/predictable/rehashed.

What did you like about Mother?

It comes at night was a fucking disgrace.

I honestly don't believe it. Even if you're underage. It's like showing Batman & Robin to a hidden tribe in the Amazonas. Since it's their first movie they will think it's amazing, but then you show them some shitty Hallmark Tv movie and all of them would agree that the latter one is far better.

If you enjoyed this, then I have good news for you: the movies it tried to emulate are all better and will just blow your mind if you honestly thought this dreck was anywhere near good.

But were the effects any good? I couldn't tell, because the editing didn't let me take a good look at them. I even prefer that crappy Virus movie over this.

pleb taste friend it came at night was one of the worst of the year

i honestly can't believe how wrong you are
you can find anyone on the internet

It doesn't matter if they're good, because the pre-release buzz around it was all about the effects, and how they were good/a throwback to movies like The Thing. Ignorant the fact that even someone like legendary hack Niel Blomkamp can do better effects on a fucking Youtube budget.

youtu.be/pKWB-MVJ4sQ

Not saying this short film is all that good, but still. Special effects arn't worth shit, but they're all you need to draw in people incapable of critical thinking.

Thoughtful reply. My only solace is that time, experience and maturity will fix your (wrong) point of view. For starters, I recommend watching The Beyond for how to properly end your movie.

True dat. Blomkamp was a one trick pony that really delivers good effects...but nothing else. Even District 9 gets worse and worse with every viewing.

the last ninety seconds ruined it for me

despite its weaknesses it's a good movie, the first hour especially, it reminded me of Zulawski, the same suffocating atmosphere, I agree with the people saying that was too much in your face with the allegory
Maybe I liked more the concept than its execution, but still it's refreshing to see a challenging hollywood movie once in a while. It would be probably my sixth film in that pic, with Raw and Personal Shopper battling for the first place.

Why? It's They Look Like People with better acting and direction.

It was lovecraftian

Worst what, horror? Or films in general?
I usually don't care about horror fans' opinions, they're the cinema equivalent of metal fans

>director's cut never

I highly suspect the second half going to hell is mostly due to all the cuts.

you should wear a t-shirt that says "i'm a pretentious cunt."

>I usually don't care about horror fans' opinions, they're the cinema equivalent of metal fans

Oh God, I just remembered when that one horror critic lauded the latest Blair Witch movie as "game-changing". Some of them are really retards.

What are your horror favorites of the year?
Give me five films better than those please, I'm not gonna greentext your list or laugh at you, I'm genuinely curious.

The void, the witch, it comes at night aren't horror movies. They are garbage dramas sold as horror. Only uninitiated redditors praise garbage movies like the mentioned

I enjoyed The Killing of a Sacred Deer. I was transfixed right away by how bizarrely everyone acted, they were like robots with cold politeness and an almost alien-like observation of human mannerisms. I wondered if this was just how rich doctor families were with each other or if something else was afoot. Of course there is but it doesn't really explain their behavior, not that it needs to. The guy that played the Martin character was especially good, he stood out as extra strange in a land of strange people. One of the best creepy 'autist' performances I've seen, he genuinely seems like a weird high school kid. It barely seemed like he was acting.

Yeah I really liked Raw. The second half got kinda silly but still my favorite horror of this year.
It comes at night was pretty good too. Mother and The Killing of a Sacred Deer were disappointing but sadly still above the horror movies I've seen this year. Anyone got suggestions?

Brimstone

Guy Pierce's character is such an amazing villain. Better than Pennywise, better than Dr. Not-Pinhead from The Void, just a really intimidating, mysterious, evil man, and his final lines in the film are so poignant.

I'm going the pleb route and say IT.
Don't even care, it was great.

there were none this year. the last good horror movie was "Boo! A Madea Halloween".

It was a fun movie. Don't let contrarians tell you otherwise.

fun is not allowed on any boards of Sup Forums, fuck off

I don't get why they were acting so weird though. It made sense in the Lobster and Dogtooth because of the context but in this movie it just made them seem moronic.

>being this much of a coward
It's his trademark style, I don't know if you watched some of his other works, it's kinda like watching an absurdist play.
Sometimes it works more than others, in The Killing it worked perfectly, in The Lobster a little less imo.

I think I'll check out the Lobster. My opinion of Colin Farrell has changed quite a bit in the last few years, he's begun to turn in some good performances and is going beyond just being a pretty face. His performance in True Detective Season 2 is what started to turn around my opinion of him, a lot of people dump on that season and maybe rightfully so, but he was great in it, certainly head and shoulders above anyone else in the cast.

it's cute how plebs get personally offended when you critique anything they like.

I haven't seen the void but a lot of the people in this thread hating on it sound like the kind of people who think It Follows was good somehow

>It's not capeshit movie 500 so that means it's pretentious! the idea of having to think for more than a second is an insult!

The Void makes It Follows look like Citizen Kane. It's straight to dumpster trash.

>not liking horror and metal at the same time
>not being aware enough to know how it makes you look to hipster shitheads and not caring while still enjoying all the things that they hold over your head as if you couldn't understand it
>2018

You might be right

What are the movies it tried to emulate? Name them so I can watch.

It Follows has redeeming qualities, one could argue it has value despite being pertty overrated. Even if the story shits the bed in the 3rd act, it's got a unique and interesting premise, is well shot/edited, has a very good musical score, decent performances all around, and some interesting thematic/metaphor stuff that's sparked some good threads debating the film.

Notice how no one claiming to like the Void has even attempted any kind of similar argument about the movie.

>not being aware enough to know how it makes you look to hipster shitheads and not caring while still enjoying all the things that they hold over your head as if you couldn't understand it
I was clearly talking about your average horror/metal fan.
They usually watch/hear the same derivative trash, they whine about the lack of good modern music/films, yet they shit on every single work that doesn't follow their rules.
A metal record was influenced by a non metal genre? Then it's not metal, it's not heavy enough, it's pretentious, it's for hipsters, reddit etc
A horror film is trying to do something different? Then it's not horror, it's a drama, it's boring and pretentious, it's for hipsters, reddit etc
see

You know what, fair enough but I would argue that those people are represented in basically every hobby or area of interest

Production quality of a made for tv Stephen King adaptation, except not as good as The Mist. Practical effects are all it can boast. VVitch much better.

Check out From Beyond, Hellraiser II, and then watch Prince of Darkness.

>Flat one dimensional characters, wooden performances, and a narrative so predictable that calling the film derivative is an understatement.

But you just described every B-horror movie tho. By your own rationale, why should OP watch more of them?

source?

I wanted to like Void but it just didn't do it for me.
Too mediocre.
Anyway, the Void is 2016

Here are the horror movies of 2016 and 2017 that I have watched and my ratings of them.

It (8/10)
Train to Busan (8/10)
Life (7/10)
The girl with all the gifts (7/10)
The Wailing (7/10)
10 Cloverfield Lane (6/10)
Annabelle: Creation (6/10)
Babysitter (6/10)
Before I wake (6/10)
Don't breathe (6/10)
I am not a serial killer (6/10)
Neon Demon (6/10)
Siren (6/10)
The Conjuring 2 (6/10)
The Monster (6/10)
A dark song (5/10)
Better watch out (5/10)
Don't knock twice (5/10)
Kill Command (5/10)
Lights out (5/10)
The Autopsy of Jane Doe (5/10)
The Belko Experiment (5/10)
The Void (5/10)
Alien Covenant (4/10)
From a house on Willow Street (4/10)
It comes at night (4/10)
The Boy (4/10)
We go on (4/10)

I really want recommendations here. I always enjoy watching a good horror movie at night but it's had to pick one.

>It (8/10)
stopped right there.

>hurr durr you fucking normies fuck youuuuuuu

Who was the Doctor character with the charismatic voice that kept saying

> DONT FIGHT IT DANIEL

Actor had great screen presence. Reminded me of Douglas Bradley as Pinhead

yes he was pretty good indeed.

A Cure for Wellness, I just like how the movie just made me feel uncomfortable and the 1950s hospital aesthetics were neat

Thanks for the list. Can't say I agree with all of them but at least I got something to watch for a few nights. Once again I can only recommend Raw if you haven't seen it yet.

> DANIEL

I enjoyed it. Sure it was ruined like almost all horror movies when they showed the monster but it was spooky and entertaining.

Oh that's exactly what I felt.
When they showed the monster, I felt there was nothing more to see in this movie.