TLJ is the ultimate casual fan filter...

TLJ is the ultimate casual fan filter. I'm convinced that the only people who hate it are redditors and nostalgiafags who actually have 0 understanding or knowledge of the Star Wars world beyond their Yoda t-shirt, and act like they do because right now it's cool to like Star Wars. And they're finally being exposed by TLJ as shallow fake fans, and they don't like it. That's why they're screaming in butthurt.

Every single actual fan I've spoken to, who truly appreciates the franchise without feeling the need to broadcast it to the world, has absolutely loved TLJ.

>i'm just pretending to be retarded

Thanks for your input, friend.

not that guy but I think you're retarded too, and I don't like you

>>nigger
Excellent post, user. I look forward to a lengthy thread of original and worthwhile discussion inspired by your insight.
You lazy shitposting fucking cunt.

I assure you user, the feeling is mutual.

WHY DIDNT SHE TELL POE HER PLAN!

Because she is an independent woman who can do everything by herself.

only people who like this movie are complete cunts who ignore the major flaws just because the movie pays lip service to their ideology

Put yourself in her shoes without spewing memes for just one moment. There's some guy you hate and believe to be a retard running around getting in your way. You know he is volatile and untrustworthy. He is not your equal and your best friend/fuckbuddy's last action was demoting him even further, showing a further lack of trust. What would you do?

Oh fuck off. The Last Jedi is the first good Star Wars movie in 30 years.

Lots of pacing issues and plot holes, plus character inconsistencies between various points in their character arcs, keep it from being great. I'm pretty sure you can cut the entire Canto Bight arc from the film and it'd be not only better, but no more confusing for the omission.

But it's still a really good film. The music and visuals are great, probably because this is the first Star Wars by an actually skilled director since George replaced all the talented people who worked on the OT. The core emotional arc between Rey, Kylo, and Luke works really well and everyone involved gives great performances. The action is really fun when it counts, like the opening with Poe or Luke's short but sweet duel with Kylo, despite the pacing dragging a lot during the second act.

Overall, I rate 86/100 - better than anything *since* the OT, but weighed down by too many plot and pacing problems to be on the level of the originals.

Nice strawman, retard. I'm as far from a feminist as you can get.

Strangely enough OP i agree with you that it is a plebfilter, mostly to show who actually understands how character arcs and characterization works. Wanna know if someone didnt pay attentio to starwars in the OT? Watch them do mind gymnastics on luke skywalker giving up on his newphew. Watch them do damage control on the numerous plotholes and defend the hyperspace sequence. Tlj really has shown how much people care about starwars, and who wouldve guessed that most people just dont. They'd rather regurgitate the internet zeigeist than be left out of the loop #wereallrebelsnow.

Ooga booga.

OP is a faggot

OP is correct.

Good boy, you're surely going to win the mental gymnastics medal with this attitude

Tell my best pilot of the plan because I know of his potential to stage a mutiny. This isnt a military, it's a ragtag group fighting for survival. Killing morale is retarded.

Yes he was a retard in his last mission, but sill he is the best pilot in the resistence, he could help in something since they are using a spaceship. And poe should be the most trust worthy guy in the resistance.

Agreed. TLJ is Disney finally saying we're done playing copypaste. I think it was the first step they needed to take back in 2015.

>only the brainless fanboys who wear Star Wars merch in public and like anything Star Wars related hate TLJ
>ignoring the fact that these types of people are the ONLY ones who like it

Watch you do mind gymnastics on how Luke shouldn't be able to do that even though Yoda and Obi-Wan, the two people who trained him, whom he admired more than anybody else in the universe, made the exact same fucking mistake of giving up on someone.

My father doesn't use reddit and liked both the OT and the PT. His big thing is world building, which TLJ had almost one of.

Personally I liked the movie myself, but I think taking Finn and Rose's story out would have made it a lot better.

Agree. On my second watching it wasn't as bad as on the first, but it's still pretty unnecessary.

>I admire someone, I'm going to repeat all of their mistakes!
That's not how it works. You are a grade A idiot for even trying to push this retarded argument.

The person they gave up on is the same person Luke is willing to die in his adamant belief that he's redeemable.

How the holy fuck do you manage to take that and come to the conclusion that Luke is going to make the same fucking mistake they did when it runs completely counter to both his personality, which was vastly different to either of his mentors or his personal experience? There's absolutely nothing in the OT that lends anything but opposition to the idea that Luke would give up on someone, let alone his nephew.

Please kill yourself, your genes are a fucking bio hazard.

I loved this flick and I can't tell you the last time I bought/consumed anything with "Star Wars" on it that wasn't the movie ticket

She didn't hate him she just thought he was arrogant. He was also instrumental in saving the resistance already. She could have just told him there was more to the plan and that he needed to trust her. To any logical person it looked like she was leading them to their deaths

I bet you think the prequels aren't canon if you pretend hard enough that they aren't. I have news for you, kid, the Jedi order was inherently corrupt and Luke's clueless idolization of it corrupted him too. And in the OT, it was very heavily implied that Luke can be turned to the dark side by manipulating his desire to protect others which is exactly what fucking happened.

>unironically using the "muh true fans"-argument
Are you for real?

>oh, I know men, trust me. I've been on like 200 tinder dates and even had a boyfriend for like 6 months. I KNOW men

Same exact experience and feeling. Literally the only person I know who hates it is a Redditor who gobbles up marvel shit and hates anything with artistic integrity whatsoever

>granted I only talk to people I met in overwatch games

Redditors hate being called out on their shallowness and lack of understanding regarding the things they claim to be passionate about.

Pro-TLJ wont be able to keep up this shitposting. It's an objectively meh movie that does nothing with what the TFA set up.

Because 90% of everything TFA set up was garbage and I salute Johnson for throwing most of it away.

>Does nothing with what TFA set up
That's why it's good, faggot. It throws the shit jn the trash and what's left is pure, unadulterated, old school Star Wars

>0 lightsaber fights in TLJ

Sure is old school

And I'm convinced the only people who like TLJ are shills and contrarians.

Which are you?

Are you actually retarded or pretending? What is the throne room scene? What is holo-Luke vs Kylo? Even if you don't like them, it doesn't mean they don't exist.

TLJ was filler. At the end of the movie, every character is back where they started, having learned nothing. This was supposed to be the character driven movie, and it just wasn't. The whole movie was an insult to the fans, and a bag of missed potential.

TFA was boring but any writer worth their salt could have taken elements from TFA and take them in different directions. For example, I didn't think it was particularly funny or clever but when Luke throws his lightsaber away, you could be doing that through the movie. Take things from TFA and turn them on their side or just take them in an entirely different direction. Instead you're just kind of bitter knowing that TFA is now completely pointless and we have to sit through yet another "establishing movie" that gets us no closer to any real conflict, story, etc. that we can follow through this new trilogy/whatever

>What is the throne room scene?
Rey and Ren didnt fight each other, just non lightsaber using fuckers.

>What is holo-Luke vs Kylo?

Oh wow, such dodging.

Fuck off shill. It was such a shit movie, Hamill had to have a lawyer hold a gun to his head to have him say he liked it.

>We have to protect what we love, not fight what we hate.
>Commander gender studies does nothing but stoke fear and mutiny and get rewarded by the writers for it.
>your mom jokes.
>Rey has beaten Ren twice.
>the final movie has no villain.

>Why isn't Snoke explained?
>In the OT, the emperor wasn't explained eit--
>FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG

>How come Mary Sue Rey can fight Kylo Ren and pilot the Falcon without any training?
>In the OT, Luke piloted an X-Wing fighter into the Death Star and lasted as long as he did against Vader, who didn't want to kill him either, after only a few training sessions with Yod--
>FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG

>pure, unadulterated, old school Star Wars
>he says when TFA was ANH 2.0
>luke playing limbo with Kylo's saber
>fight

I think OP is right about some things, but there's also a lot of hate coming from the opposite crowd. The people who are so heavily invested in Star Wars (and especially their own version of it) that any slight challenge to the idealized image they've built up of it leads to rage. To those people, Star Wars

These are the people who refuse to acknowledge that Star Wars was always a series of pulpy space operas for children, and refuse to acknowledge that even the OT had tons of flaws. These are the people who ignore that part of Luke's character in the OT revolved around him being impulsive, bad at handling threats from the dark side, and violence when people he loves were threatened, and see him as perfect. Nothing but their own headcanon would have worked for people like this. They can't enjoy Star Wars as the fun, space adventure it's supposed to be.

This, but unironically.

>pure, unadulterated, old school Star Wars

is it time to be contrarian about TLJ?

That's a cool photo.

NOT MUH LUKE WHO BLEW UP A SPACE STATION WITH THOUSANDS OF EMPLOYEES ARRRGGGGHHHH

Rey:
>had her big dream of meeting her parents crushed
>learned that the Jedi she idolized were corrupt and can't survive in their past form
>had her convictions thoroughly tested
>clearly has feelings for Kylo which she now has to deal with
Kylo:
>lost his faith in the Sith completely
>clearly has feelings for Rey which he now has to deal with
>even more conflicted than he was at the end of TFA
Hux:
>clearly despises Kylo
>likely set up to create a mutiny and be the next big antagonist
Poe:
>had to deal with the fact that his attitude has too high of a cost for him to continue like this
Luke:
>finally accepted the inherent corruption of the Jedi order, which he idolized as much as Rey
>accepted that the Jedi cannot survive in their current form
>made peace with his mistakes and died a good, peaceful man
Leia:
>made peace with Luke leaving her and now knows that her brother loved her til the end
You're right, user. Zero character development.

Oh no it’s mon mothma with pink hair

Everything’s ruined

Real talk why are all these so called progressive people who made TLJ so against aliens? Why are they so xenophobic? Why can't we have a main character Ithorian or Rodian or Duros? Something that doesn't look like a human with tentacles

>>In the OT, the emperor wasn't explained eit--
But the OT was in the middle of a fucking 6 episode story. The emperor's rise was covered in episode 3. If anything, TFA should have been episode 8 if you are that butthurt about people poking holes in Snoke.

They gave Luke an excuse that he had practice at home in a similar vehicle and also he had been training.

Rey literally knows how to fly the falcon perfectly through narrow seams the first time she is in it.

>TLJ fags reaching so hard.

I bet you liked the new Ghostbusters too didn't you OP

ANH has one short lightsaber fight where basically nothing happens and obi-wan dies like a chump. And yet I don't see you criticizing it.

by then he had already known how to force ghost suicide and he was just stalling so Luke and gang could get away

Somehow I don't see this lady ramming ships

Rey lived her entire life surrounded by old ships. But no, it's "reaching so hard" to assume she's flown a ship before. In fact the bonus material outright states that she's taken many ships for a ride if you need someone to spoonfeed it to you. The only reason she didn't leave on the first available ship is that she genuinely thought her parents would come back.

>greentext two entirely different situations to try and make them seem related
>end up looking dumb

Everyone has already picked TFA apart no contest. I didn't even hate it that much but trying to defend it for its terrible writing of Rey at this point is pointless.

Also the emperor was interesting and creepy, and eventually was fleshed out in the prequels and was one of the best things about those movies. Snoke was just some CGI guy who was somewhat intriguing until they killed him off unceremoniously and has a 1% chance of being relevant to the next movie at all. Sheev's death was a turning point, and pivotal to Vader and Luke's archs and was arguably the final conflict for the original trilogy. Snoke's death was a cheap twist that served only to put kylo ren back to status quo.

ANH is the worst of the OT though and this isnt a OT thread.

But at least Vader was cool.

This movie has

>murderous Luke going to kill his family and drinking green walrus cum
>the female main character who's name I forget
>Kylo "I like you, dont come to school tomorrow" Ren
>Rose
>Commander gender studies

Why are you so obsessed with the green walrus cum? It was a second long scene.

>she's flown a ship before
"A ship"

>Bonus material

TLJfags want me to read fucking bonus material cause their movie cant properly explain their unpopular mary sue.

>excusing the tumblr self insert
This is why pro-TLJ shills will never be taken seriously.

He doesnt do anything else in the movie aside from be a hologram and hand Leia physical dice as a hologram.

There was no impact to it though. No one moment to dwell on it all. The movie was shock full of weird pacing which took me out of the moment. It failed to make me care about these characters, who are as soulless and fake as the people at Disney and Lucasfilm.

She's flown multiple ships. TFA was bad but this isn't a TFA thread.

>Yoda destroying history like Islamic State

I'm never gonna be OK with this. Yes, I know Rey took the books, it makes very little difference.

now if only the movie had given background on snoke, maybe it could've been revealed that snoke manipulated luke as well as kylo
but we didn't fucking get that, did we now?

>Rey and Ren didnt fight each other, just non lightsaber using fuckers.
Hell, looking at those gifs they don't even fight. They are mostly doing dumb shit, running away and deliberately hitting the lightsabers.

Then when Kylo Ren touches the dice they become holograms because the Force, shut up.

Who's Snoke? Sounds like a background character with no backstory or motivation.

Wow great we only had to have two films in a series to set up shit that should happen in the first act of a more competent movie. Literally nothing is resolved except Luke is dead, which only serves to redeem him from a thing that happened off screen and before TFA, of which we are fed so little information that it hardly makes sense.

I can't believe people keep fucking missing this. The Jedi order is inherently corrupt and needs to die, no matter how much plebs idolize it. Yoda's character arc went from actively participating in this corruption in the PT, to hiding from it and trying to sweep it under the rug in the OT, to deciding once and for all to stop being a pussy and destroy that shit.

Then why are you complaining about people poking holes into her character?

TFA was better than TLJ because it set up interesting threads that TLJ refused to act upon.

Also, Finn was a character instead of token comedy relief nignog like he was in TLJ.

And like an hour of the movie dedicated to finn and rose accomplishing exactly fucking nothing.

>a character
>has a PTSD breakdown because one of his comrades dies
>10 minutes pass
>is screaming like the black ghostbuster while gunning down hundreds of those same comrades
Finn was always a joke and pretending he was better in TFA exposes you as a contrarian.

I will wholeheartedly agree with you that Finn and Rose were garbage and should have been removed. But I don't think they ruin the entire film.

yes, please do expand on your understanding and knowledge of the masterpiece that is that Disney movie series focus grouped for females under the age of 15

>half of the film was completely pointless
>doesn't ruin it

uhhh

Anyone got the wojak of Yoda and Luke?

The OT also heavily emphasised lukes undying loyalty to his friends and family. Including him willingly going into a ship to distract the emporer so his friends could lbow it up. But every dumbass morons seems to forget that and think its totally logical for luke to give up on his friends and family over one incident.

Apparently smart writing is just writing a character against all preconcieved logic or development. Who knew?

I'd be fine with Yoda telling Luke the prequel style Jedi hierarchy was a mistake and making the force more anarchist blah blah blah. But the idea that to move on from the past you should physically destroy the vestiges of it is a bad message, especially these days and not something I want in muh Star Wars ever.

It's an interesting parallel because Rey has no friends, just acquaintances in Finn and Chewie.

That or her actor sucks, the writings sucks, or male/female freindship is impossible.

If she can fly and repair ships why isnt she working as a mechanic like anakin instead of being a shitty scavenger?

Yeah, you're right. Everything you outlined in your first post I agree with however all the pointless shit in the movie kind of does ruin it for me. It's such a shame too because everything involving kylo, rey, luke and poe is genuinely great, it's just weighed down by all the other underwhelming scenes.

Let the past die. Kill it if you have to.

>shilling this hard

garbage movie
garbage (((opinion)))
the real luke would never consider killing his nephew
the real yoda would never burn jedi texts
and everything else was just a fucking mess
fuck you nigger

Rey already had the books you pseudo intellectual faggot

Who here can't wait for Rian's 3 hour kino cut?

psuedo-intellectual is a compound word and also people that use it in earnest are brainlets who want to pretend they're above name calling.

It's funny watching trolls, Mousecucks, and shills try to mimic Snyderbros and fail so miserably. They lack the same thing Disney's movies do:

Heart and sincerity.

What makes it even funnier is that none of them seem to have found the allegorical component present in the film, along with its rather insulting message for old fans. The level of hypocrisy it implies is rather staggering.