We all know the first 3 episodes were absolute Kino, and the following episodes have only dropped quality

We all know the first 3 episodes were absolute Kino, and the following episodes have only dropped quality.

My question is:
What would make you go back to thinking this show is KINO?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-KOH2Ocy778
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

sage and fuck off

I think this is not true.
For starters, E5 is the episode where the show started dropping in quality.
E4 was as great as the previous three, there isn't a single legit criticism I've heard for it.
I think the Rick and Morty prank is to blame. It was the first thing to truly set the fandom apart, and people just kinda started thinking that everything before that was great and many simply jumped on the bandwagon of Ashi hate, despite E4 having the same great pacing, great mood and great writing as the first three.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying episode 4 was bad. It just started to drop quality, it didn't have action scenes as good as 1, 2 and 3, basically. But the episodes were still watchable until S5E7, which was very bad, and the last episode was completely garbage. And I mean complete garbage, it is even worse than the bad episodes of 13 years ago were. It can still be good in those 2 final episodes, but I doubt it will make up for everything bad that happened to the series.

The action sequence in the beginning of E8 is fucking great, the fuck you talking 'bout.

Say what you will about the story and charecterization but the action sequences are still easily among the brst in western animation.

Jack keeping the beard and a longer ponytail and using firearms in addition to his sword would be a nice start.

I also wanted this. It feels weird, like someone just hit the reset button on jack's skill set and thinking.
How many times has he destroyed that robe? Maybe put armor over the robe? Maybe keep the beard? Just something that shows that he's grown from before.

What is this stupid kino thing that faggots are trying to force? What does it even mean?

If you only look at the KINO and comedy of episode 8, it's great.

It's only bad if you read too much into it

yeah, the eyebeam of depression curing (his expression literally changes as the beam passes over his face) bothers me way more than anything about ashi, not in a SJW "thats not how mental illness works" sense but in an overall characterization sense

Yeah they dropped the ball on Jack's psyche. All he needed was for Ashi to give him a pep talk, who knew.

Then again Tartakovsky said he doesn't want to do the tragic hero story, so I guess it was inevitable. And doing a show about years of intense therapy probably isn't that interesting.

I'd say it's more of a common sense thing than an SJW thing. You don't just get over it. But it'd be really boring to watch jack battle depression for an entire season.
I guess what I want is for him to think "I can't go back, but I can kill Aku and fix the Present". A sort of somber compromise ending.

>The action sequence in the beginning of E8 is fucking great
No, there was no struggle. There was no thrill.

I honestly don't think it can redeem itself at this point, which makes me sad. All the best stuff was in the first three episodes, how do you deliver a good ending when the majority of the foundation has been disappointing?

If we were still on episode 6 or 7, probably easier to answer. Last episode is going to be Fight with Aku and conclusion so that leaves only one episode to mature their relationship, get the scotsman, tie up scaramouche, and find Aku. They're gonna be stretching next episode real thin, probably too thin. Expect lots of "episode is crap due to poor pacing, poor payoff, too much Ashi", etc.

I never stopped thinking it was 'kino,' though I think 5 was a weak episode, a 6.5-7. I feel it's bracketed by high quality episodes.

Episode 4 was beyond terrible, and if you haven't heard "a single legit criticism" of it you haven't been reading Sup Forums nearly enough.

>Song with lyrics starts playing before the credits and continues during credits in place of the usual end song

This is still HBO & Mad Men style kino

Although that last episode was very cringy

the fact that you're referring to anything as kino and complaining about samurai jack means i can disregard your opinion.

Not every action sequence needs to be a life or death matter. The sequence is tightly paced, well choreographed (well, storyboarded), and animated oretty fucking well. And the main gimmick added a bit of fun to it.

It wasn't as brutal as the Daughters of Aku fights, but not every fight has to be to be good.

Likewise, I'm sure.

And I'm not even OP.

>The sequence is tightly paced, well choreographed (well, storyboarded), and animated oretty fucking well.
It is none of these things! What the fuck, man?

You need to define "kino" in strict, understandable terms so we can have an actual fucking discussion rather than circlejerk about a fucking buzzword that even Sup Forums cannot use in a coherent and consistent manner.

The only thing Sup Forums hated about that episode was muh ladybug.

Not even close, actually I've never seen a single complaint about it on here although it annoyed me personally. The main problem with the episode was that LITERALLY NOTHING HAPPENED. Even the worst episodes of the original show, like the farting dragon one, actually had actual things happening.

idk m8, they were struggling pretty hard to keep their spaghetti from spilling

>literally nothing happened
Ashi was forced to begin her character development

I don't know what kino means, I'm not going to ask, and I'm not going to stick around to find out.

What does Kino mean?

The good ones are.

That's exactly what I said. Ashi's "character development" IS nothing, since Ashi is not an actual character and there was no development.

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting

Ooh, got some edge there.

I'm actually not shitposting at all. Just telling it like it is.

If you had been a little subtler I might have believed you.

That is my actual opinion. Take it or leave it.

Saying she is a bad character would be an opinion, saying she isn't a character at all is b8.

She's flat enough of a character to not be one at all

The animation isn't particularly flashy, but the fake camera work does a good job at lingering on the impacts, which takes otherwise stock fight scene moves and gives them more weight and meaning. Cutting in and out of the fight with spaghetti splurging is decently funny, but it also helps with the pacing of the fight. Even the forced two on many dynamic is used well, forcing the characters to fight back to back without making it seem like it's crippling the action. And of course the sound design and framing is as always solid throughout the show, which always helps.

There isn't another show in the past 10 years with fight scenes as consistently solid to spectacular as Samurai Jack S5. I just wish the pacing didn't suck so hard.

Have better pacing and some goddamn memorable fight scenes. Seriously the only memorable fight scenes were in the first three episodes. Genndy better deliver with Jack vs Aku.

>There isn't another show in the past 10 years with fight scenes as consistently solid to spectacular as Samurai Jack S5.
There isn't another cartoon in the past 10 years with good fight scenes period. It's a very low bar.

From encyclopedia britannica
>Flat characters are two-dimensional in that they are relatively uncomplicated and do not change throughout the course of a work.
Are you saying Ashi has not changed throughout the season?
Funnily enough that was a good description of season 1-4 jack

So how is Genndy going to react when fans hate the ending of the show?

I'm not talking about Sup Forums's reaction.

I'm not talking about tumblr's reaction.

I'm talking about the real fans. The people watching the show. The majority. The 1.5M who tune in every week (-200k give or take since that's probably the tumblr/co/base)

People overall are going to be pissed off. We waited 13 years for this show to come back and it's looking like he's not even going to make it back to the past. The whole reason we wanted this show to come back, to have a finale, in the first place.

If he doesn't complete his journey, if he has truly forgotten his purpose, then Genndy will be burned at the stake by the fans.

>media isn't allowed to have slow parts between the action

That's the problem, shit hasn't been slow since episode 5.

Even back when it was first airing I felt like the finale of the show would be something like Jack just killing Aku in the future and letting the world persist, because even if the history of the world is super fucked its current inhabitants are worth preserving and he should focus on forging a brighter future not cling to the past blah blah etc etc

Before the season started I would have thought similarly, but now that Ashi is in play, I think as long as she and Jack are okay, I will be too.
>the ending I didn't know I wanted

Why the fuck did they take the front scruff away

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO FAP NOW?

that's literally retarded.

his purpose is to save and preserve his clan. Not these fucking illegal literally aliens.

What if I told you a character's motivation can change over the course of a journey?

Fuck it, 20, 30 years. Ever. Every other action cartoon is way more inconsistent on pure fight scene quality. Even Batsy had his weak moments. The only rival I see is Avatar for the effort they put into developing bending.

Autism prevents this realization in many.

I'd say that character is weak, and panders to normalshits who can't get a hold of their own lives.

I want Sup Forumstards to leave

The show is not kino. Not with the way it dropped the shark last episode.

don't have Genndy solo any more epsiodes
>episodes solo'd by Genndy
XCV
XCVII
XCIX

>episodes genndy did with Bryan Andrews
XCII
XCIII
XCVI
XCVIII
the story for every episode (also with Darrick Bachman)

>Genndy with David Krentz
XCIV

Genndy literally said the "back to the past" goal was metaphorical.

He also said it would be "an ending you didn't know you wanted". hence

Newer episodes have still been good, fuck off

you people are all woefully autistic, and not just in one way... in every fucking possible way.

>muh word of god isn't reliable

>literally said
no

>What would make you go back to thinking this show is KINO?
Ashi dying.

The show went downhill the minute Jack went back to Classic Jack.

I liked Jack better when he was depressed, seeing him happy infuriates me.

Uh I'm an atheist.
And you're misusing "muh" you retarded newfaggot.

I love Berserk as much as the next guy but you people need to fuck off

Ashi turns out to be Aku

Fuck off, Wakfu is great.
youtube.com/watch?v=-KOH2Ocy778

He purpose in life is to rid the world of the evil that is Aku.

Going back to the past was an obsession Jack had that made him forget his real purpose. Even the original show suggested this.

He does deserve to go home. Being flung into the future was unnatural.

chasing after the past rather than living in the now is unnatural.
Its not like he has anything to go back to. His parents are dead. Anyone he interacted with as a kid were killed by Aku's initial onslaught. Most of the society he misses was wiped out in the years he spent training as a teenager.

What the fuck happened in the first episode then?
>Scaramouche
Yeah, how is that any more significant than a giant monster?
>inb4 he's gonna tell Aku
That's still not more significant than Ashi's development.
What's wrong with her redemption arc? It makes perfect sense for her to reconsider her worldview after it being continuously shattered over the course of days.
Once again, there is 't a single thing that makes E4 any less 'significant' or any worse than the previous 3. If it came out before the RaM shit, you wouldn't be bashing it, admit it.

Not when you're displaced like Jack is. He was kidnapped, and should go back home.
Everything in your second line is false. His parents are still alive at the time he left, the people were kept alive as slaves, and they can rebuild when Aku is gone.

Honestly my favorite episode was 4, it had all the humor, creativity and charm of first 4 seasons.

First 3 episodes was a nice mature and gritty take on Jack but that's not what made me like Jack in the first place and Im not some pubescent guy that gets off on anything dark and gritty.

And here's the tumblr fags again with their Samurai Jack hate agenda.

Fuck off, really

>Im not some pubescent guy
Enjoy your vacation.

Genndy plz stop
I want my samurai parents and son reunion

I still think the show is pretty good.

(you)

Nothing could. Except Ashi dying.

Do you think people complaining about SJ actually know how storyboarding works?

>Ashi is not an actual character
This is ridiculous. You're complaining about flat characters in Samurai Jack?

Word of God refers to the creator of a franchise. This has to be b8

I just feel like the pacing is off now. I genuinely feel something like this happened:

>AS gives Genndy the greenlight for a 15 episode season
>Team gets to work
>halfway through production an AS exec pops his head in the door and says "By the way we can only give you 10 eps"

I'm still enjoying it, I just wish they had a few more episodes to take their time with some things. Still, I legit think the mausoleum scene was one of the most awesome scenes I've ever seen in an animated TV show, in terms of quality I think it jumped the shark in that episode.