A Ghost Story

I need explanation for something. Get in here 200 IQ posters.

Why the fuck didn't he just move something to show her that he is around?! He was able to lift a milk glass or throw plates around when the mexicans moved in. How come he couldn't do anything to communicate to his waifu that he is a ghost?! He could have invented a letter system to communicate with her by moving pieces of paper around or whatever the fuck. He just stood there and watched. What was that all about?!

increasing feeling of isolation/helplessness, not wanting to scare her

could have done it on day 1

Ghosts don't think the same way we do, user. Talking to his wife wouldn't do much when he couldn't even experience time naturally.

What's under the sheet?

who says he couldn't experience it naturally?! i got the impression that he could. Because the other ghost in that other house experienced the same shit and waited for so long he forgot who he was waiting for.

a ghost

he was reliving the moments
also she had a gigantic DO NOT DISTURB sign on the front door handle
that's why the mexican woman only came in after the rooney mara character left
otherwise she would have lost her job, and with so many childrne to feed
mr ghost please i canno do zat for ju.... no today mebbe tumarro okie?

ghost rules

What was in the paper?

i try to delete the paper meme from my head because it just drives me mad thinking about it

"if you are a ghost then fuck off"

makes no sense. He had enough time to make contact with her and a lot of days passed by and he was just watching.

what rules? is there a universal Ghost Law im not aware of?

do you think casey affleck was actually under the sheet or did he just shoot for like a few days and then peace out and let some random guy just be the ghost under the sheet.

i mean it's kind of pointless for him to waste all his time just being under a sheet when you can't even tell who it is.

>or did he just shoot for like a few days

im sure this movie was shot within a few days lol

>his dick was waaayy bigger than yours

the first 20 minutes when he's visible could have been shot in a few days.

Joaquin Phoenix

"Disappear now or your mother will die in her sleep tonight"

Obituary, he didn’t realise he was dead.

there are no answers or logical reasons for anything in this movie. it is simply an artistic tale with not much put into it at the excuse of being 'deep' and 'cerebral' so that cinephiles and armchair movie critics have more shit to wank over.

just take it at face value, op. because although the movie maker would love it if you looked deeper into it, there is nothing more to it. he thinks he's being profound by giving you something to think about, and it would be profound if there were something to look for. but there isn't. you're a labrat and you've been placed in a maze... but there's no cheese. you can ask all the questions you want: how to get to the end, where what corridor leads, how big it is... but it's just there to keep you walking. and once you realize this, suddenly, the maze becomes much less fun.

this is this movie. it's just a dumb ghost story with deliberate gaps to make you wonder. and if you care enough to ask these questions, then the director has already won.

don't do that. just take it at face value: a ghost story. it happened the way it did because the writer wanted it to. finished.

casey said he was under the sheet the whole time

>what rules? is there a universal Ghost Law im not aware of?
I'm just assuming there would be ghost rules

Whoa that's deep bro
Very based

except it is not

it is no accident that there is a mexican family after his wife leaves, hipsters/yuppies doing parties and given nihilist speeches and that he comes back in time and see settlers and natives killing them...

the ghost is the spectator of the changes in America, which in the end becomes a gigantic shopping mall

it is not a very deep movie, but the interpretation is kinda clear

>which in the end becomes a gigantic shopping mall

isn't it more of a corporate building in some big city. classic capitalism sucks meme by leftists meme film makers.

1. there is no proof or evidence in the movie for this conclusion. you can come to any conclusion you like because there are no answers. which is why it is stupid.

2. given part 1, who cares about any of the 'deeper' questions that are not so deep at all? just watch it for what it is: a boring movie about a ghost story that goes nowhere.

k

I don't think that's true. Director said it was unbearably hot in the sheet setup and they were filming mid summer. I strongly doubt that mumbling cunt would actually subject himself to that

If I take that sheet off will you die?

>before house destruction ghost was trying to find the paper everywhere in the house
>he couldn't find it because he already took it the future, long before house destruction
based Shane Carruth just trying to complicate the plot of everything he touches

...huh? I thought he knew it was in the wall the whole time. He saw her put it in there.

ok, I don't remeber exactly, but as I recall it there were a bunch of buildings that were built on the terrain where his house was, basically yes, the movie wants to say that America of the future is this big huge capitalist thing that means nothing

well, for me it is pretty clear that this movie talks about white America, otherwise it would be a trip a la Into the Void and the ghost tripping through time not necessarily America and with American contemporary subjects... but you don't agree, ok

yes it was. the user is wrong. I rewatched the house destruction scene. He finds the paper and then the house gets wrecked destroying the paper. I dont think he knows he is in a time loop and is just miserable cause he lost the note. He then waits and waits until he finally kills himself only to respawn in the past and then he realizes he just has to wait to get the paper. After he got it he finally leaves.

just rewatched this moment, yeah, I'm wrong

He wanted her to move on with her life. He probably realised nothing good would come from interacting with her, since they can't touch, make snu snu, have kids or have a normal relationship.

He haunted the mexicans because he didn't like them.

sure that makes sense but if you stick around for basically what must have been hundred of years to get a note from your wife you are attached as fuck. It is basically impossible to resist the urge to make contact. Given that he spend all that time with her in the house too and was around her.

Ghost dont have the same urge, thats what i mean by ghost rules maybe. he was stood watching for years like it was nothing, time passes different or he just was in a different mewntal state like a dreamer or something.

He is still attached of course, but as he really loves her a lot he prefers to not hold her back, even though he really wants to talk to her. He doesn't haunt her lovers, for example. He does that shit with the piano though, but nothing more than that.

For example, if you have a contagious fatal disease, you wouldnt want to transmit to the one you love, even though you really would like to talk, touch and see this person one last time. It is an exaggerated example, but you get what I mean.