Does an anime counts as 'cartoon' if it was dubbed when you watched it and it was based on a western source?

Does an anime counts as 'cartoon' if it was dubbed when you watched it and it was based on a western source?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QswFm2rvSY8
Sup
youtube.com/watch?v=bXiJYcK4-GU
youtube.com/watch?v=fFWst8c_Cvk
youtube.com/watch?v=Hp8fg5G7jbc
youtube.com/watch?v=3IjYIsH86n0
youtube.com/watch?v=p0bSHZwGaI0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Kids these days...

youtube.com/watch?v=QswFm2rvSY8

Not if it was originally fully Japanese, no; it's still anime.

If it was a co-production between Japan and another country, then it can count as a cartoon for Sup Forums purposes.

Can do.

Primo

No, that's why Digimon threads always get deleted.

What is this show?

what western source is digimon based on?

Stuff like Maya the Bee used to be allowed, but the current mods don't communicate with us anymore. We just have to guess the rules based on what does and doesn't get deleted.

Anime is animation made in Japan

Little Mrs. Pepperpot
sadly, the loli redhead is not the star of the show.

is china or korea allowed here?

The Wars of the Roses

Technically yes, because they're not Japan.
Sup Forums is Japan, which makes Sup Forums the rest of the world.

Though being Eastern, they could fall into limbo because they're neither Western nor Japanese.

Lord of the flies

"anime" are cartoons. Fight me you pretentious, overly pedantic faggot

According Sup Forums, anime is Sup Forums. Those are the rules of Sup Forums. That is the way the boards have been set up, on Sup Forums, with anime and cartoons being separate.
Sup Forums.org/rules#a
Sup Forums.org/rules#co

Please feel free to explain to Sup Forums that "anime" is short for animation, so Western cartoons are allowed there. Report back with your findings.

Re-reading the rules for Sup Forums, Eastern comics and cartoons that are not from Japan would fall into limbo, being neither anime/manga, nor Western.

two years' vacation by jules Verne, the creator mentioned it a long time ago.

Nope. But apparently live action movies and tv shows count as comics and cartoons on this board, so do whatever you want.

Dude, I loved this show when I was a kid. I must have been like 9 or something, but I remember being ashamed that I liked it because it was on nick jr (and being a kid, that wasnt cool back then to watch that block). I so I had to stealth watch episodes, but goddamn, they were amazing. I'm really hoping for a re-release on this.
Also, people dont give Saban enough credit for bringing in anime to the states back then.

Well, that's good

I think stuff can stay up as long as the mods don't realize it's japanese, and they don't actively dislike it.

Sup Forums here. No, it's anime if it's made in Japan. It's not anime if it's made somewhere else. It's only called anime because that's what the Japanese call it, it's all cartoons.

>Also, people dont give Saban enough credit for bringing in anime to the states back then.
THIS

Saban was an absolute pioneer in bringing over Jap media (anime, toku) and modifying it for US tastes and censorship standards.

>it was on nick jr
Oh, so this is why I'm only just finding out about it now. I used to avoid the hell out of Nick Jr as a kid. I feel almost cheated now, because Grimm's Fairytale Classics looks great, but I don't think it could occupy my attention the same way now as an adult if I tried watch it as when I used to be able to veg out in front of the tv and watch pretty much anything as a kid.

Tamers, the third season, was Lovecraftian of all things.

How does Samurai Pizza Cats fit in?

WHAT ABOUT SHOWS MADE BY THE JAPANESE FOR AMERICAN AUDIENCES?

And that is why they are not seen in food eyes, even Harmony Gold wasn't that bad.

Threads usually get about 300-400 posts, maybe even getting to autosage

Yep. It's only asshurt weab fags that bitch about MUH MACROSS. Robotech still holds up very well and I loved watching it, Voltron, and Saber Rider as a kid in the late 80's.

Go to Sup Forums, you coward.
It's always the same with you "I know this isn't technically Sup Forums, but hear me out" people.

Sometimes a thing is neither, or both of 2 things.

Sometimes allowed, but usually we just talk about how great the theme tune is

youtube.com/watch?v=bXiJYcK4-GU

Thumbelina gave me multiple fetishes

youtube.com/watch?v=fFWst8c_Cvk
youtube.com/watch?v=Hp8fg5G7jbc
youtube.com/watch?v=3IjYIsH86n0

>tfw badly dubbed anime with poor audio recording quality was my childhood

youtube.com/watch?v=p0bSHZwGaI0

>shit was my childhood

Where do you think we are?

Needs more art of her.

>"anime" are cartoons
They're two completely different things.

In a place with many posters, all having childhoods varying in quality.

my childhood > your childhood

I know this discussion happens way too often, but I really can't stress enough how much I can't stand the words "anime" and "manga" in English. They emerged out of an enthusiasm for the tropes and themes that were common in Japanese animation 20 years ago which was fine while it lasted, and seemed more contained to people who used words like "otaku". But the fact that to this day it continues to be used so strictly with everything that comes from Japan is so pointless and really has no purpose other than making you sound like an awkward dork in conversation and needlessly quarantining every animated work that comes from Japan regardless of how much it resembles anything else in the world or not.

Pic related is an example of something that is clearly very eastern in style but because it's Korean it's just called animation. I just really don't understand the value of the word "anime" if people label things as such based solely on whether or not they were made in this one particular country, rather than the content itself of what they're labeling, especially when said country follows no such rule.

Anime is a unique form of animation, a unique industry and a unique culture, so there's no reason why it shouldn't have a word to describe it.

>Pic related is an example of something that is clearly very eastern in style but because it's Korean it's just called animation.
Anime is not defined by the fact that it's "Eastern."

People seem to object to the anime label because they're jealous.

Funny, Japan uses the word cartoon for western animation.

sometimes, but i'm pretty sure more often they called it "foreign animation"

That's what they use on pixiv. Or don't make any distinction.

>inb4 someone talks about the missing episodes.