Punisher thread

Punisher thread.

Do you support what Frank does?

I think Frank's a pretty swell guy.

Frank is a madman. He isn't wrong about the justice system in his world though. You would think executions would be way more common in a place as inherently violent as the marvel universe.

Why exactly did he mention this?

Solid Frank is best Frank

pg punisher or max punisher?

Frank is in the habit of spilling his spaghetti around Cap-Sempai.

While I don't mind that Punisher MAX has explicit content, I really wasn't feeling the direction of it.

Only when it's eliminating criminals who are definitely guilty and the legal system has failed to bring them to justice. Basically, organized crime figures, human traffickers, and people like that.

I don't support him, that'd be basically saying "yeah, I am ok with giving power over my life to a dude who lost his family after going back from war and decided to start shooting people". I wouldn't say I'd be ok if like vigilantes like Spider-man were deciding if I should get beat up, but at least he has a line.

He's fucking right. Guys like Frank is what we need in this world.

Punisher is my constant in Marvel.

The hottest that's for sure

Frank wouldn't last 24 hours in Gotham.

Why is that, user?

yes i do

He lives in New York
Gotham is literally New York. New York was known as Gotham 120 years prior to any batman comic.

Reminder that Joss Whedon is a little bitch for intentionally writing Frank out of character just because he "glorifies firearms"

Frank turns into a limp noodle around Cap. It's actually pretty bizarre. The dude's just fucked in the head, I guess.

Frank has a mancrush on Cap.

i'm pretty sure any new yorker supports what frank does

There was a Civil War 2?

Man, I'm out of touch. Was it any good?

you dont want to know user

What's your favorite Frank quote?

I don't pay taxes

I'm ambivalent.

It's not like he's flying around on a frank-glider and saving innocents. He just kills criminals.

He is a stone cold killer, but his redeeming quality is that he kills only those who deserve it.

irl I'd still prefer Frank to some mutie or inhuman scum who could level an entire block if their power went haywire or they were on their period since Frank doesn't have that kind of firepower and presumably has enough training and common sense to avoid civilian casualties.

If he somehow had magical powers like he does in the comics that prevent him from causing massive collateral damage or harming innocents even though he doesn't particularly give a shit most of the time? Sure.

The psychos are not intimidated by his reputation. They're used to insane mass murderers. They're a dime a dozen in Gotham. That kills the psychological angle.

Plus a lot of them have powers. Poison Ivy. Clayface. Cornelius Stirk. Doctor Phosporus. The Corrosive Man.

What's Frank gonna do against the Corrosive Man? Sure, dump him in a lime pit - but you got to get him there first.

Yes, I know. But New York is not Gotham City.
I think you understand what I mean by that.

Everyone holds something sacred. Frank tends to respect supers who do not kill.

...It was not merely 'not good'. I believe the appropriate term would be 'worse than useless'.

"This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown."

Ignoring villains like tombstone and venom, or the one time he actually fought batman?

That's no coincidence. Frank is an agent of Hell. It's just that nobody talks about that anymore because it was pretty out-of-character. But it was never retconned.

Y'see, that white skull... that is actually the face of the demon lord Olivier. And if I understand correctly, every last one of Frank's kills goes straight to Olivier's corner of Hell, making him stronger.

>Ignoring villains like tombstone and venom

How did he defeat them?

Frank Castle is a mass murderer, regardless of whether his victims "deserved" to die at his hands. While he may not catch a lot of shit from the cops (because they feel he is doing them and the justice system a favor), there can be no mistake that he carries out premeditated homicides on a regular basis.

He does not operate under the rule of law. He pays no heed to the ideas of civil rights and due process. He alone acts as the executioner of the "deserving", and his judgment is not open for debate. And rarely he does act in defense of others; the majority of his killings are about "punishment"—vengeance, really—for those whom the law either could not or would not touch.

Anyone who thinks Frank Castle is doing the right thing better pray to whatever deities they can think of that they never run afoul of someone like Frank. The police will arrest you, maybe give you a kick in the kidneys, and send you to the courts. Frank will just put a bullet through your head—and only if he thinks you deserve a quick death.

Fuck Frank Castle.

They actually retconned that.
A creepier and subtler explanation used sometimes now is that Frank unknowingly made a pact with Death Herself.
Moon Knight even references it. When the possibly-all-in-his-head Konshu keeps complimenting Frank to Marc about how Frank is someone who REALLY knows how to lay down vengeance, Spector asks him why doesn't he just choose castle as his avatar. Konshu's response is creepy.
>"Sadly, no. He is taken by another already. See how he wears Her mark even now?"

It then zooms in on the skull.

How did batman kill poison ivy, clayface, dr phosphorus? They all wear the same plot armor.

Well, Tombstone is tough and is a LOT faster then guys like him usually are, but he's not actually bulletproof; his skin and muscles are like concrete so he's extremely durable and hard to put down, but there's plenty of guns that can shoot through concrete.

Venom's durability has fluctuated so wildly over the years (thanks to him being a 90's character) that it's always a shitshow with him; sometimes he's been bulletproof, sometimes he's not.

Is Frank just?

In his world? Yeah.

Frequently, yes. But it's not his objective.

Of course. Any non-homosexual would.

It occurs to me that most versions of frank would probably want to kill everyone who ever posted on Sup Forums.

I personally would be fine with that.

The most just character of all time aside from oedipus.

>mfw a Frank thread

Well... I'm of the 'murder is murder' crowd. So I don't really support Frank. Especially since when you start using explosives and firearms there's every chance of things going badly.

>Frank tends to respect supers who do not kill.
I thought Frank hated Spidey though, and he's nearly the epitome of that trope.

No I think he's a shitty character that edgy teenagers and gun nuts fap over because he embodies their incredibly disturbing fantasy for going out and killing everyone who they disagree with in a way that could easily endanger tons of innocent lives.

Frank doesn't hate Spidey, Spidey just hates Frank.

Frank is pretty cool. I've been reading some Punisher lately and I think he's becoming one of my favorite Marvel guys.

Gotham has evolved past being a New York stand in years ago. Even then, the grittyness of old New York is a far cry from even the grittier portrayals of Gotham city. Gotham has been something larger than life for decades now, its not fair to pretend it just 70's Death wish movie NYC anymore.

No because this is just a coping mechanism so he doesn't have to grieve for the loss of his family

I think that was back when Born was still considered Earth-616.

As time goes on, I like over-the-top Punisher more and more. It hink the 80's/early 90's stuff does a good job of capturing the aesthetic very well. And Mike Zeck draws the best punisher, very slick.

As a teenager, I loved the Punisher MAX stuff, but as time goes on I feel uncomfortable with it. I was drawn to it because the idea of a more "realistic" take on the character(within reason), but a lot of its just become shameless violent fantasies of seeing someone let loose on morally unambiguous characters who are OK to kill because they've very, very bad. I still like Ennis' stuff, and he does the best job of portraying a morally grey Frank and isn't just glorifying him.

I think a lot of writers fall into the trap of making stories where Punsher hunts a visceral type of criminal, like sex slavers or rapists or pedophiles or whatever,trying to tackle a real world issue, but ultimately it ends up just being another person for Frank to kill. I guess it comes back to the 80's stuff and why I like it a lot more now, with its comic-booky depiction of gangsters and criminals that are unlike real life. It lacks pretension and is comfortable in what its trying to be.

Frank was never meant to be a good guy, but its so easy to turn him into one because badguys don't have to have complex lives or exist beyond a few pages. I think I've read a few stories here and there where Frank is more of a predatory presence and the criminal is the focus of the story, and aren't entirely evil, which I think makes for a much more interesting angle.

I really don't get why captain america of all people hate frank so much, guy does what needs to be done. Like, most heroes ahve this arbitrary "NO ONE DIES !111" thing gonig on, even for fucking Carnage. Like I get giving villains a second chane, or people who just got a shit hand, and might be able to turn it around. But then you give them Frank and they lose their shit.

Guy kills the worst of the wors,t which is proabbly better than they deserve. If some para military man, was slaughtering the gang communities in my area you better believe I'd be okay with that.

So what if he's acting as judge jury and executioner? Shit worked like that way before we had all this. In fact, people at the top often abuse this system to get out of paying their just deserts. You fucking need guys like Castle for them. Especially in the MU? How are there not cockbags in suits?

flame thrower and sonic blaster on his roof
Venom in the 90s is actually pretty consistent, he's bullet proof, period. He just takes more punsihmnet if he's been softened up by sonics and fire, to which bullets have more of an effect.

The right to stand trial under a fair jury is one of the most basic American ideals for a reason, why don't you think the person who's meant to embody the ideals of America would stand for vigilante executions? It doesn't matter how icky or wrong the criminal is.

Frank!

>that time Frank was going to Frank the Joker
>Batman had to be a faggot and save his clown husbando
Just another proof that Batman makes things WORSE for Gotham not better.

You're not wrong, but that argument falls apart when you consider the Mob uses bribes and threats to cheat the system, and supervillains like the Joker have done enough to warrant the death penalty in their own right. Frank's way just saves taxpayers money on a trial with a foregone conclusion

All Hail Frank!!! He's the Frankiest Frank that ever Franked.