So...why the fuck didn't anyone in Marvel Universe try to save/reduce the damage during 9/11?

So...why the fuck didn't anyone in Marvel Universe try to save/reduce the damage during 9/11?

I mean Avengers tower is like five minutes away for fuck's sake.

DC is excluded because they are set in their own fictional world,

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aVYsZTdMncg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Cringiest page.

9/11 was Mysterio's CGI.

All these years and I never noticed Juggs.

>Doom
>crying over dumb humans

Is this e most OoT page ever?

>DC is excluded because they are set in their own fictional world,
New York exists in the DCU

>Magneto caring about non-muties dying

Thanks to sliding timescales, 9/11 is actually outside the normal Marvel timeline now. It happened before the current age of heroes.

I believe DC decided that it never actually happened in the DCU.

>trusting that useless masked menace

Because Marvel is fucking retarded, that's why. Can't just have it not happen because that would make their universe "too different" from the real world. Nevermind that the basic premise of having superpowered mutants, aliens and gods living on Earth already makes it completely different from the real world. And nevermind that having the 9/11 attacks still happen makes all the superheroes look completely fucking incompetent since they stop much worse things on a regular basis.

Osama made Doom cry.

Islam > Supervillains

This.

Remember, things like the FF appearing and the creation of the Avengers are locked into only happening 10 years ago.

This means 2007.

Weird I know.

did DC actually acknowledge that 9/11 happened outside of the new 52?

i always figured they lampshaded it since they rarely have stories in new york

I meant that DC tries to make own thing, while Marvel shoehorns real events constantly.

Doom crying at 9/11 wasn't any sort of break in character or anything to me. Hell, I would even go as far to say that it was entirely IN character.

Spidey couldn't stop that anyway, it's above his powerlevel to catch planes at full throttle. He could've helped with evac but isn't going to negate the happening altogether.

>Juggernaut mourning the dead
>He himself tried to destroy the WTC before

That's why he is sad.
That it wasn't HIM who destroyed it.

Doom is crying over Latveria citizens that were on a plane.
Magneto is trying to figure out if jet fuel can melt steel beams.
Kingpin is just walking by, he doesn't care.

Sometimes as a fan of something you just gotta pretend it didn't happen , for your self. head cannon isn't a big deal when it has to do with erasing small stupid shit desu senpai.

So that SPIDER-MAN IS STRONGER THAN GALACTUS crap was a meme?

What about Otto

>It happened before the current age of heroes.
No it didn't. The ASM comic proves so.

same reason of magento, since his octopaws are made of steel (articulated) beams

This was before house of m so i'd say that there probably were a few mutants that died.

You realize that thanks to the sliding history that Marvel does: that issue of ASM is no longer canon?

That like saying Chapter One is canon because of the all the references the ASM comic made to it at the time.

It's obviously not and Marvel has come out and said it's not.

DC and Marvel's takes on the real world are different because they've always been that way, ever since the Silver Age.

In the Golden Age, National (DC, and some other companies that are now part of DC) in common with Timely (Marvel) had stories featuring real-world events, largely the rise of fascism in Europe, the lack of will at home in the US to deal with this threat to freedom, and then the war, and then the US involvement in the war. At the same time they were dealing with issues like organised crime (which was still a big theme if less of a problem than it had been in the 20s and early 30s), corruption in business, and fifth columnists working for foreign powers.

But by the Silver Age things had moved on. WW2 still sold comics - Marvel's Sergeant Fury and DC's Our Fighting Forces being examples of that - but the storytelling had matured. Stories were routinely longer and characters given more complexity. As the stories became less about kids viewing the world through a stand-in superhero and more about soft-soap stories with punching and radioactive monsters, the two companies diverged.

DC became more focused on its fictional world, an America full of cities that don't exist but are near-analogs of real places - Gotham is Newark-New York, Metropolis is fuck I don't know Kansas City or some shit, but the original choice to base the various superheroes in fictional cities has been kept, despite numerous reboots, because it would be weird to suddenly have Green Arrow running around LA or base the Flash in Dallas (and not just because we all know he's from fuckin detroit).

Marvel never made that choice. They went real-place from the start, and have always been that one step away from our world. It's a neat conceit that's often served them well; it didn't here, but only because 9/11 was just ridiculous.

Nobody could catch a plane at full throttle, you'd just crumple the airframe and kill everybody on board anyway.

>Chapter One

Ugh, don't remind me. That was one really shitty attempt.

Ultimate did it x1000 better only a few years later.

>(and not just because we all know he's from fuckin detroit).

He's from Missouri

And Metropolis is in Delaware

So it's like a reboot.

I think it's 14 years. It's been 14 years for a while. with he hard 8 month jump after SW I think it would be fair to say 15, which would make Spider-Man 30.

The whole 90s run of War Machine seems to have been pretty much erased.

It had good moments, but a lot of it was... not good. Flying dick suit.

There's an issue of... Marvel Team Up? where Spider-Man teams up with the cast of Saturday Night Live. I shit you not. Bill Murray... unless he's the one who didn't let them use his likeness.

It's awful. But the worst you can say about it is it's a product of a time when SNL was huge and the crossover was worth everybody's time. You can't really fault them for putting John Belushi in a comic, because they didn't know he was gonna kill himself.

The sliding timeline would imply that, yes, the entire story is apocryphal and happened in some side-universe, not 616: but you could also have a story today where Peter references having met the cast of SNL, and it would be true enough.

That's what I like about Marvel: not the sliding timeline, but the soft canon it implies. I really, really can't stand the DC hard canon trying to fit everything together. Even Star Trek fans know when to quit with that shit.

>the DC hard canon trying to fit everything together
wut

... do you not know about the crises?

I thought Metropolis was more of an Analogue of Chicago, maybe Cleveland.

Yes, and I don't think they fit everything together, at all.

Chicago exists in DC, Gordons from there.

>That square Kingpin

Dude, (radicalized) Islam IS the actual supervillain in our world

>92311117
Dude, if this human can do it, how a mutagenic can't?

I can see kingpin being upset at this. He probably knew people in the towers

people owning him money, no doubt

>this threat to freedom

It's that weird WTS effect.
Where almost everyone knows someone who died during 9/11

>I believe DC decided that it never actually happened in the DCU.
I mean, it makes sense that it wouldn't, given the power levels. Seconds after than plane got hijacked, Superman would already be on his way, listening in on the conversations of the terrorists before arriving seconds later to remove them from the cockpits non-lethally and transport them to the FBI headquarters where they would face a fair trial.

It would be a total non-event there. Superman stops some hijackers. It probably wouldn't even make the news.

>Kingpin is just walking by, he doesn't care.
Kingpin just happened to buy insurance on the towers the day before. What a lucky guy.

Elaborate?

Doom is a fucking PUNK.

Everyone talks about how horrible a villain he is, yet every damn one of his reads, at least the ones that I've seen or been suggested to see by Sup Forums, depict him as more of a fucking antihero than an actual villain.

Joker -- Killed Jason Todd, paralyzed Barbara, killed Sarah, etc.

Magneto -- Ripped Wolverine's fucking skeleton out

Green Goblin -- Killed Gwen Stacy, all of the psychological damage to his own fucking son

Doom -- The nigga delivered Reed Richards' child.

His big "act of villainy" there was just NAMING THE GIRL. Sure, you can toss out the whole "oh well he was proving that he could do something that Richards couldn't, he could help his family when Richards could not", or the bs "Oh well he's a classy motherfucker dohoho/he's an honorable villain" crap out there, but when it comes down to it, Doom hasn't done SHIT.

Rule of thumb was 4 years of our time was one of theirs. It's probably up to 5 years of our time is one of theirs by now though

Because it was an inside job and the avengers were probably involved in it.

And they constantly talk about:
1. Doom only wants to conquer the world because he thinks he would rule it best
2. He's probably right

He's visited multiple futures and alternate realities, and apparently his research has shown that a Doom-led Earth is the best chance for humanity's long-term survival.

If it were up to him he'd spend his time and energy breaking his mom out of Hell, but instead he selflessly gives up his life to public service. It's noble.

There's a story he used Ulysses Claw to rob a lot of Vibranium from Wakanda. Even the Avengers were mixed in that.
IIRC, lots of Wakadans and Claw's goons were killed

>he selflessly gives up his life to public service. It's noble.
See? No wonder heroes prefer fighting each other, since the bad guy is no longer bad.

>Green Arrow running around LA

Tell them to stop sticking Ollie in Seattle then.

Seriously, what happens to Star City every time Ollie fucks off to Seattle?

No, of course not.

They're there to dump everything that doesn't fit, so that you can have a single hard timeline until the don't fits build up enough that you have to do it again, only the latest one immediately fucked up by eg having Bruce conceive Damian before he was even Batman, which makes no sense.

It's like Talia saying "fuck it, Big Willy Gates can probably provide for my brat and the clock is ticking y'all".

Which is the problem with a hard canon. You can fuck up easily and then you end up rebooting/soft rebooting/a Manhattan did it until the end of time.

Doom will do anything for power.

>only the latest one immediately fucked up by eg having Bruce conceive Damian before he was even Batman, which makes no sense.
Isn't Damien currently artificially aged? Unless they got rid of that when moving to Rebirth. The current Superman timeline sounds like a clusterfuck. I really hope they just ignore it instead of trying to explain why

OP, don't you know who the real victims of 9/11 were?

youtube.com/watch?v=aVYsZTdMncg

I want this to become a 9/11 heroes appreciation thread.

Some of the Avengers could've been on an away mission at the time or just away doing their own things. It's not like their world is perfect, they've allowed way worse to happen under their watch. Sometimes they're the cause of disasters in their own stories. Their world isn't perfect from disastrous events.

>we're useless, aren't we, Tony?
>yes, Steve. Completely. You want to play Hero vs. Hero?
>sure!

Sliding timescale. Only 15 years have passed since the Fantastic Four gained their powers, so no superheroes were actually around to stop it.

Still, there's way worse shit happening constantly around the world than 9/11. Especially if Doom's seen some sort of catastrophic alternate timelines and shit, some act of terrorism isn't going to have that crazy of an effect.

Yes, but nothing that bad had ever happened in the United States before. You have to remember that Marvel comics are primarily written by Americans for Americans.

remember how hitler kept all the superheroes away from helping out in germany using the spear of destiny

lol Sup Forums loves talking out of its ass.

They changed it so much. In a 2012 hulk comic they said secret invasion happened a YEAR ago. That shit was 2007 so... like every 6 years now?

Actually DC post new 52 had 9/11 it was referenced in one of the comics earlier since superheroes only first appeared 5 years before 2011 in that timeline.

No idea what the rebirth timeline is.

Oh fuck you. Doomfags are honestly the fucking worst. Even worse than Magneto fags.

You fuckers don't like to admit that these two are BAD guys with interesting layers. It's ok to like villains just don't hero worship them like a lunatic you fuckwits.

Dr Doom has KILLED people. He is a dictator with a fucking secret police and has an ego bigger than fucking Kim Jon Un.

Like I won't be surprised if Latveria taught that Dr Doom created the world and shits out rainbows for little kids.

He sent fucking Franklin Richards to hell, a powerless child at the time btw. He wore the skin of his dead first love that HE murdered to get an upgrade just to fucking kill Reed Richards.

Any chance he gets to save the world or serve his ego he will choose ego. Sometimes its convenient for his ego that he be the good guy. Case in point trying to prove he is better than Richard at everything so he joins the FF to defeat the council of Reeds.

He doesn't do it for altruistic bullshit he does it because he thinks he is fucking better. He is a control freak tyrant and as Superman put it best to Luthor in All Star; "He could've saved the world a long time ago if he really cared."

That's Doom. Stop whitewashing that faggot.

>this threat to freedom

Dr. Doom cried at concert for new york

If my family member was killed in 9/11 I would feel insulted at this

Seattle is getting burned to the ground in the current GA to give rise to Star City

That answer your question?

No it has to be a little longer by now.

You need to account for how old Spiderman is. If that was right, then Spideman would have been running around before the FF.

>Spidey couldn't stop that anyway, it's above his powerlevel to catch planes at full throttle.

how about a nudge?

if I recall, it was mentioned here in pic related that the WTC was a pro mutant relations facility if some sort, so there'd be mutants dying there.
plus magneto was in the Holocaust, he probably empathize with the human victims. don't let the movies fool you, he doesn't necessarily despise every human on earth. if that were the case he wouldn't really be motivated by the Holocaust to protect mutants.

>Green Goblin -- Killed Gwen Stacy, all of the psychological damage to his own fucking son

Don't forget he cucked spidey, taking Gwen's virginity and giving her twins

And this is still somehow better than Under the Shadow of No Towers.

This needs to be canon.

Pull it.

The sliding time-scale has doomed Marvel Comics.
They are trapped in an endless loop and have been trapped since 1968. It will never progress past 1979.
Everything you have seen has already been done. Slaves to their own denial, the Marvel Universe repeats events incessantly always convinced that what they do is new and what is going on is unique.

Maybe it's like the Civilization games, when you've devoted so much time and resources to destroying the twin towers, and just five turns before it's done, your foreign affairs advisor tells you that al Qaeda has already done it, so you can't do it, anymore.

I'd be crying in rage, too.

None of the people who were supposed to be able to stop it in real life did.

I know mass beheadings are par for the course in Ooga Booga land but in America we value the lives of our citizens.

>but in America we value the lives of our citizens
Good joke, everybody laughs.

should still have someone fly in and contain shit after the fact so it's not as big of a deal

but also thousands die in Marvel US every week so it wouldn't be a unique event either

It would have been racist towards the islamic race.

Enjoy your trucks of peace.
>Nobody kills Americans and gets away with it but other Americans.

Doom was crying that someone managed to upstage him.

>Still, there's way worse shit happening constantly around the world than 9/11.

You know why that is? Because those places are dominated by terrorism. Terrorism isn't about how many people you can kill, it's about breaking down a society and making people think that getting shot in the street is "normal". No one bats an eye when a shit hole has shitty things happening in it. But when a place like America, who is not only suppose to be so far removed from terrorism but actively fighting it, gets hit and gets hit with the biggest attack in history all within the span of an hour and a half, it's catastrophic. Yeah, there are places that are worse than America and there are even places that are safer than America where terrorism is even more outrageous when it happens (Like Japan), but America's reputation and place in the world is what separates it from the rest.

It's the difference between a bunch of mortals killing each other and a mortal breaking into Heaven and successfully bombing the place.

Maybe, even if it was physically possible for them to contain stuff after the first plane hit, it was more of a decision by the company to not try and change history so as not to disrespect the people who died by pretending it never happened.

Disregarding sliding timeline, it would kind of be like if they kept drawing present-day NYC with the Twin Towers because logically, "Avengers should be able to stop it!" or whatever. It'd be a little in bad taste, wouldn't it? If the skyline is going to change, why bother writing plots where they at least "reduced the damage". The Towers came down, better to accept it than thinking about how logical it is that superpowered people could've stopped it.

>They're there to dump everything that doesn't fit, so that you can have a single hard timeline until the don't fits build up enough that you have to do it again, only the latest one immediately fucked up by eg having Bruce conceive Damian before he was even Batman, which makes no sense.

The problem that came from that is they rushed the New 52 and they thought they needed to adhere to "Five Years Ago the Justice League Was Formed" which was a major mistake.

>All these youngfags

Emotions were running high everywhere during the events of 9/11. God forbid your pampered life ever gets disrupted.

ok fags

Doom is crying because RICHARDS wasn't in the towers at the time. he is crying because of a loss that could have been.

also mags is there because it was towers full of jews, kingpin probably owned shit, ock is there because idk science shit and jugs is there because he wished he could have stopped in time.

jugs really caused the collapse of the WTC by running into them

that or living monolith did it
again

i posted this same pic back in 2011

>this was worse than the Holocaust!

In that it actually happened yeah.

So it wasn't worse. Then what's the problem? Many people didn't care about Americans dying, you know; especially those countries that suffered your foreign policy in the last century.

Doom hates pointless violence.

people said the same thing before 9/11 because the worst thing to happen before that in the 100 years since 2001 was WW2

who the fuck cares about muh towers fuck off.

>Twisting words

Yeah sure. If you believe that.

It's a sad cycle nobody wants to deal with.

>magneto is a jew
>has metallic telekinesis

He must be fucking mazing at picking up pennies