Pacific Rim

>did great at the box office
>has a large ensemble of mechandise
>a sequel is set for a 2018 release
>no cartoon as of now
For what purpose?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9v36nx4azxqq
pacificrim2-movie.com/news/meet-pacific-rim-2s-upgraded-gipsy-danger-crimson-typhoon-cherno-alpha
youtu.be/bGbU_20InKM
youtu.be/wyojUV29xuQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>>no cartoon as of now
Because Transformers

No thanks to Burgerland

Dude King Kong lmao

Bump

>TFW Gipsy Danger's getting a Soul of Chogokin

>tfw you want cool shit like this but are extremely stingy with you money
I'll just get these little baubles instead.

>no cartoon as of now
Didn't they have one planned? What happened to it?

Here's hoping the sequel doesn't suck balls

>Not directed by Del Taco
>Jaeger designs have been casualized
>Produced and staring Boyega

yeah... hope.

> casualized

because all of the designs from the first movie are gone idort

Reminder

>tfw Genndy Tartakovsky will never make a two hour Pacific Rim adaptation a la Star Wars

let me die in my sleep now

?

Gipsy Danger cameo

Good, because the movie action would be sacrificed for tension-free DBZ shit.

It didn't and cartoons are a waste of time.

And you posted why?

the grand daddy of the mecha genre, Mazinger Z is fighting the Mazinger Zero, the ultimate Mazinger who is invincible against every Mazinger variant in the Multiverse. In the its final stand, Mazinger Z goes meta and calls on the power those who are descended from him, essentially the entirety of the /m/ genre. Those lightforms are references to different mechas which includes Gipsy Danger of all things.

>PR
>Not doing well in the box office

Thank the Chinese, it made a shitload over there.

Those outlines look like absolutely nothing to me. Other then Ideon because lmao beam spam.

That sounds really stupid.

Hopefully the kaiju don't suffer the same fate.

need more crustaceans and insects, Onibaba was the most distinct of the Kaijus

They had some pretty freaky shit that didn't make it into the final product, I'm sure they'll use some of those designs.

maybe if they had budget... IIRC Mutavore, trespasser and Scunner had the same body. Raiju looked nice though.

And I really hope we get a flashback with Brawler Yukon.

>we get to see the kaiju's first true ass-kicking
I'd pay just to see that on the big screen.

best kaijfu coming through

>They got the guy who did B.PR.D hell on earth to do concept art

or maybe it's the other way around. Either way, awesome.

He's definitely one of my favorite concept artists for them, right up there with Barlowe

Feels bad that NECA would rather do a dozen Gypsy variants than do all of the movie kaiju.

But ... there's a tie-in comic!

It was too anime to be made
>Mom&Son jaegar team with heavy incest vibes

Would be interesting if they took that and fleshed it out into the cartoon. Think about it: seeing the Jaeger in their glory days beating the shit out of any kaiju that surface, and watching as the many teams ascend to celebrity status. Not to mention all the weird concept kaiju they could utilize.

two.

Well more like it ok at America (Grown-Ups fucking 2 beat it), it did well in Europe, and it was mega hit in China who always have odd taste.

For what purpose, indeed. A cartoon would be cancelled for not selling toys, it wouldn't look remotely as cool as the film, and the violence would have to be toned down. there would be no point.

I hated the film.

The pacing was completely botched, the actors were all terrible. The humour was really forced and cringey. The Australian accents were so hilariously fake and bad. The majority of the monsters were just big greenish grey lizards. Most of the big action scenes took place at night or otherwise dark locations to obscure detail. Two of the prominent mechs trashed almost before they get to do anything.

The ONLY thing it did right was the mech designs, which both looked great and moved great.

>Not directed by Del Toro

There are two?

I read this one
but there's another?

Found it. I honestly didn't know about this either, now I'm hyped.

The art's not bad, tells the story of how Tacit Ronin took on a few Kaijus back-to-back while the pilots got irradiated.

Found the series in thread archives

mediafire.com/folder/d9v36nx4azxqq

Sounds like a winner to me.

>no Del Toro
>Boyega is playing Pentecost's son
fuck this shit

It got it's ass kicked by an Adam Sandler movie, where the fuck were you?

Was bretty guud, but Ragnarok's design was a little boring to me.

>Pentecost Jr. has a chip on his shoulder over his dad's relationship with his adopted sister
>everyone assumes he's just racist

story time?

I don't have any scans at the moment. Anyone have them?

wait wait wait
sauce me on this please
and who's the faggot that's directing the sequel?

Look up Gypsy Avenger. Now, I don't know what a casualized design looks like for PR, but we know what GA looks like.

You should watch Sym-Bionic Titan.

Hmmm.

Really does look like Season 2 with the designs everyone bitches about.

pacificrim2-movie.com/news/meet-pacific-rim-2s-upgraded-gipsy-danger-crimson-typhoon-cherno-alpha
they just made GD angrier, it's murica after all, everything must be angry, like kirby
the other two are the new fodder jaegers with recicled color palettes from the previous ones

Honestly I dont mind it with some tweaks on the proportion but its a crime that Cherno's hat is gone.

You're assuming those will be the only Jaegers in the movie from one early promotional image.

I have no idea what's being depicted here.
I feel like this is the endgame for all Japanese comics: just a bunch of speed-lines, explosions, and sound effect symbols smattered all over the page.

I really hope I find a theater with the first movie. I missed it in theaters.

this is one of those movies that you have to see in the best theater you can. I saw it in IMAX and the scale really makes it more epic

>Boyega

>That Cherno Alpha

Oh FUCK no. I want my fucking cooling tower back.

Funny, because Mazinger is stylistically a throwback.

>No Del Toro
JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP

I agree. Less designs like Mutavore and Knifehead, and more creative ones like Otachi would be nice.

>no indication that Pentecost ever had a family other than his sister and Mako
I just don't it at all
if Boyega was his nephew, sure whatever
but being his son, nah fuck that shit.
don't sully Pentecost with that bullshit

i thought the power rangers movie bombed

fucking gross dude

>story time?
Here.

Well, this didn't go as we hoped. Yesterday was the opening day in China for King Arthur: Legend of the Sword and Power Rangers. And both films got their butts kicked by the likes of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ($68 million in eight days) and the buzzy Bollywood import Dangal ($32m thus far). King Arthur earned just $1.5m on its opening day, but we knew that was coming and it just means that the multi-film Knights of the Round Table franchise isn't meant to be. But Power Rangers is the real tragedy, earning just $1.2m on its first day and arguably sealing its fate. Barring a post-theatrical miracle, it's one-and-done for the Power Rangers franchise.

If you had told me a few years ago that not only would a live-action Power Rangers turn out to be pretty good but that a pretty decent Power Rangers would nonetheless fail to spawn a viable franchise, I would have been a little shocked. But here we are. While the mixed-reviewed Dean Israelite-directed origin story fantasy opened with a best-case-scenario $40 million opening weekend at the end of March, it sank like a stone and will end its domestic run with just $85m. And while there was the presumption that overseas grosses would gross at least whatever it made in North America, if not the standard 40/60 split, that didn't happen.

The film would have been better without the whole 'dual pilot' shit and instead each major character just pilots their own mech.

The Lionsgate release, which stars Dacre Montgomery, Naomi Scott, RJ Cyler, Ludi Lin and Becky G., has barely made $50 million overseas heading into this weekend. With a horrible China debut, we're likely looking at a best-case-scenario of around $10m. So the Elisabeth Banks/Bryan Cranston sci-fi actioner should expect a final worldwide gross of around $145m worldwide plus whatever it earns in Japan two months from now, on a budget of around $100m. So while the film may make money for Lionsgate (the domestic distributor and not on the hook for the whole $100m cost), it's an overall money loser as it exits domestic theaters and enters the post-theatrical market via Digital HD on June 13 and DVD/Blu on June 27.

With mixed reviews, a lack of interest beyond the hardcore fanbase who showed up on opening weekend and no real reason to presume that a second film would "break out" along the likes of The Bourne Supremacy or X2: X-Men United, I think we've seen the end of this incarnation of the Power Rangers. As someone who grew up hating the show only to begrudgingly respect it after I had kids, this whole thing has been weird. I liked the movie a lot more than I expected to. I appreciated its emphasis on character development and teen-centric melodrama over action and spectacle, while I came to like this particular group of "teens with attitude" and would have gladly seen another adventure in this sandbox.

It reminded me of the time when movies like Masters of the Universe and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were the exception rather than the rule, and kudos to them for including both an LGBT ranger and an autistic superhero in what is arguably a relatively progressive/inclusive superhero movie. Still, it was an origin story that spent much of its running time getting the team into ship-shape for the sequel, and it was odd watching a dark and somewhat violent PG-13 Power Rangers movie that outright earned the rating. The good news is that A) fans got one good Power Rangers movie out of the deal and B) Lionsgate is doing well enough right now that it's not going to live or die based on the performance of this would-be franchise play.

Over the last year, they've scored with movies comparatively big (Now You See Me 2, Hacksaw Ridge, John Wick: Chapter 2) and small (Boo! A Madea Halloween, The Shack, How to Be A Latin Lover, etc.) and that's not even counting the jaw-dropping performance of La La Land ($151 million domestic and $443m worldwide on a $30m budget). Said Emma Stone/Ryan Gosling musical became their biggest domestic and worldwide release ever outside of the Twilight Saga and The Hunger Games.

Now that doesn't mean they are batting 1.000 (insert obligatory swipe at their awful animated output), as neither of their Peter Berg/Mark Wahlberg true-life thrillers (Deepwater Horizon and Patriot's Day) clicked and Divergent crashed and burned on the third try. But, Lionsgate is operating in 2017 like a movie studio, with some good films, some bad films, some small films that break out and some big films that do good enough along with films big and small that don't connect.

Neat. Where's that from?

If they can score with The Big Sick, All Eyez On Me and potential breakout The Hitman's Bodyguard, they can sell themselves as a reliable place for mainstream summer counterprogramming before the Oscar season begins again. The best thing I can say about Lionsgate in 2017 is that they didn't really need Power Rangers to go supernova anymore than they "need" Saw: Legacy to revive the franchise in October.

I could be wrong, but I imagine they have to look at this the same way Walt Disney looks at a theoretical Tron 3. Sure, they could and the previous ones have a fanbase, but why take the risk? Universal/Comcast Corp. is in a similar place with The Mummy, coming as it does between Fate of the Furious and Despicable Me 3, so that's pretty comforting for them. The most surprising thing about Lionsgate in 2017 is that I find myself actually a little sad that we probably won't get a Power Rangers 2. Woulda think it?

The opening scene from the movie, though the gif appears to be an unedited version.
youtu.be/bGbU_20InKM

How is that not a Category 7? It could probably eat Slattern!

Found the actual source. It's from on of the "making of" videos.
youtu.be/wyojUV29xuQ

Thanks!