Who's in the right Sup Forums?

Who's in the right Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nmmzXVb_4nE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Eric's being intentionally dense there. He knows that's not what Jeffrey Tambor means.

considering The Dark Knight has roughly nothing to do with any source material, I would say he's 100% right

Without the movies nobody would care about Hellboy. Mignola is a complete sellout in this instance, he should dedicate new movie to GDT.

Nigga what, it's not like GDT is inherently connected to Hellboy. Mignola can do whatever the fuck he wants with it.

This new movie wouldn't even be in talks if Del Toro didn't make the first two and made the character mainstream. Tambor is 100% correct. Mignola being the creator is irrelevant especially when the two versions are so different.

This. Especially since Mignola stayed silent while Del Toro and Ron were recently trying to garner interest in another movie. He could have just said he was dealing with other people and told Guillermo not to get people's hopes up. Sell-out snob pussy bitch who can't deal with the fact that he's irrelevant to all this. Good thing this new movie is going to be dogshit CGI trash for the Deadpool audience.

Nolan doesn't need permission from Burton to make a Batman movie

>Movie version X vs Movie version Y discussion will be more of a thing
Kill me
At least comic vs film discussion won't be that big unlike book vs film considering how shit Diamond is at distribution

Del Toro is the reason 3 was taking so long to get traction.
He wanted more money.

Batman isn't Hellboy

Why can't comic book Sup Forums adaptations die already and leave us in peace?

There wouldn't be any movies if there was no audience there from the source material to make it catch on.

People are mad there's no Del Toro and Ron Perlman but also mad that Mignola is cool with it? That's dumb. I get why people want Ron and Del Toro but it was never going to happen. Why people gotta be negative? Just hope the movie isn't trash or just read some fucking Hellboy comics or watch the older movies, fuck.

Eric Powell is making a fool of himself as well.

Mignola is an old man that wants to retire and coast off the success of royalties and shit. Call him a sell out but I don't blame him. Dudes been working since the fucking 80's in this shit industry.

>Iron man
>Guardians
>the mcu in general
He's right.

You know only like 1000 people read comics right?

>tfw I don't give a shit about the old movies or the new movie or whatever the fuck and just want Sup Forums to leave good comics alone

Even so, the source material is what gives the hollywood hacks ideas to use in the first place. Plus its a case by case thing. Perhaps Hellboy didn't have alot of people who read him, but then again, not alot of people saw his films either. Its not quite the same with characters like Batman or Spider-man.

Just wait until Dave Sim dies, Cerebus enters public domain immediately, and some Hollywood exec reads on wikipedia on how acclaimed it is and decides to make a movie "based on it" that's really just advertised as "Shrek meets Game of Thrones" starring Seth Rogen

>if there was no audience there from the source material to make it catch on
Movies create audiences, user. The 50 fans of the Hellboy comic book mean nothing in the larger picture.

>Even so, the source material is what gives the hollywood hacks ideas to use in the first place.
That's not the issue though. The question is if the comic's notoriety greatly impacted the success of the film and the answer is: no.

Who let Pop-Pop use his Twitter again?

Dave Sim himself already ruined Cerebus more than Hollywood ever could anyway.

Please, Hollywood just farms IPs from wherever and churns out the same shit for the masses with a different coat of paint.

I don't know how GitS did but I presume anime is next in their sights. Good luck Sup Forums, though you probably have better mods who won't let Sup Forums shit up your board like Sup Forums is.

you should probably spend less time everyday fantasizing about new things to be upset over.

BELIEVE IT

>It's the year 2026
>Every single board has been infested by Sup Forums
>The last person who still browsed /po/ for its original purpose closes his Sup Forums tab for the last time, sick of hearing about the new blockbuster Origambit with Channing Tatum

I hate Naruto so much I'd really love to see it put through the Hollywood ringer.

Powell's passionate about respect and creators of creator owned comics

Oh Jeff you can have a job don't be such a little bitch.

>Death Note
>GitS
>this shit
Not happening.

They would need a Kevin Feige kind of person to balance out the Hollywood needs while being true to the source material in the eyes of nerds and I doubt there's a murrikan producer that can do so.

>being true to the source material
When has that ever mattered to Hollywood? They're after the mass audience, they don't give a fuck what fans of the source material think if they're outnumbered 10 to 1 by people buying movie tickets.

Underrated post

> being true to the source material in the eyes of nerds
Learn to read user.

That other user wasn't completely wrong about having an initial target audience for the product. That way they can cement themselves as a franchise and branch out to more mainstream eyes.
That's exactly what happened with he MCU.

Snyder tried it once. Didn't work out but he tried.

Yes, he did with Watchmen of all fucking comics and even there he got rid of stuff.

ive been reading comics since 1988, and i never heard about hellboy until the movie came out, so take that as you will

No one wants this. Nobody wanted Dragon Ball, Nobody wanted Scarjo in the Shell. and Nobody wants fucking Naruto.

Can't wait for weebs going batshit when the first trailer comes out.
Naruto was fucking popular here in the Bay Area and I kept seeing kids rave about it and doing the shitty ninja run

Hollywood refuses to understand why they can't tap into animebux.

The Hellboy movie is nothing at all like the comics so yeah Tambor is right.

Isn't Hellboy basically Garfield-tier at this point? There are so many Hellboy and BPRD comics but half the time I open them up and it's not even Mignola's awesome artwork.

no.
Tambor is trying to argue that Hellboy wouldn't be a franchise without Del Toro or Perlman
which, sure you could argue thats true. but Perlman regardless of his past stardom wasn't a box office draw in 2004. Same with Del Toro, the only major film he'd done at that point was Blade 2.
Del Toro for all his genius and design didn't really add much to the Hellboy mythos in the first film. He kinda mashed a few storylines together to make them more presentable for a one-and-done film.

to say that Hellboy wouldn't have worked without Del Toro and Perlman is insane.
but, honestly we can't really argue it either way since Del Toro and Perlman DID Hellboy, and we don't live in a world where anyone else was given that same chance to say that only those two together can manage a solid live-action Hellboy.

The YA dystopian novels are out of fashion and there isn't a lucrative comic franchise to bleed dry like the big two. It only makes since why they want to tap into the weeb market. Especially when the Olympics are coming along.

ONE PUNCH MAN.

Seriously with the capeshit hype it's a nosense they haven't even considered it.

Who would play Saitama?

Jackie Chan.

Except, you, know, they're full of Mignolia's characters.

The guy who owns the rights, obviously.

Indeed. Mignola did nothing wrong.

Idk it curbed heavily from Long Halloween and a little bit from Killing Joke

Also the comic is calle The Dark Knight Returns

This is 100% dead on but watch capeshit fans get asshurt over it anyway.

>owns rights
>original creator of property
>position unassailable
Pick three.

>shitting on Harren and Fegredo
Just because it's not Mignola doesn't mean it's bad.

Why would they? It's a failure on the part of the industry, not the fans. You can literally trace the lack of content diversity right back to the comics code and Martin Goodman.

So what are the biggest non cap comics for Hollywood to use as IP farms?

Millarworld
He openly writes movie pitches

So the chances of Goon appearing on a Hello sequel? Or vice versa

Cameo at best

I'll be morbidly curious how a whitewashing outcry would play out if/when they cast a white kid as Nalt. Since he doesn't exactly scream ethnic japanese,

The only part of it being a reboot that I'm leery about is how much of it will be retreading over the story of the first Del Toro movie in terms of screen-time devoted to origins/beginning stuff. I really hope they sidestep that stuff as much as possible and focus on having the story define it as a separate work rather than just making a third of the movie a slightly different flavor of another one that already exists.

I don't know why everyone loves the movies so much, they were mediocre at best and didn't capture the feeling of the comic at all. Only thing it had going for it was casting and the costume work.

He's completely correct, but sweaty, emotionally-stunted fanboys who think Marvel and DC are their friends will never accept that.

Fanboys have an emotional attachment to the corporations they purchase their schlock from. They take criticism of those corporations personally.

>Only thing it had going for it was casting and the costume work.

Yeah that's about right. I prefer Pan's Labyrinth and Cronos. Still need to see Crimson Peak

From 10+ years ago, I remember an interview with the author saying Naruto becoming popular in America must have something to do with him having blonde hair and blue eyes.

As someone with blond hair and blue eyes, that's crap

Eric is for sure way more wrong about this especially considering it's Hellboy, most people don't even know the comics, they just know and love the movie and rightfully so. It's a great series and it's success shows that (I do like the comics though.)

>look at me, I'm so superior XD
You are the reason people don't want to read creator-owned comics, because they're associated with cunts like you.

No, you don't.
It's a piece of garbage.

No it's because Sasuke was the perfect character for middle school boys in the 2000's

Itachi was the best character

Did someone say Cerebus movie?:) youtube.com/watch?v=nmmzXVb_4nE

Textbook capeshit fag insecurity everybody.

At least Johansson gave us an interesting, completely bleak take on the property. All those people calling calling out the movie for portraying whiteness as the perfect aesthetic ideal don't realize that a soulless multinational cybernetics company would totally make a Japanese girl over into a white killing machine.

Dave actually likes what he saw

>The YA dystopian novels are out of fashion
They are absolutely not out of fashion. I think the real issue is that the audience that consumes YA novels doesn't fucking watch movies.

Get a load of this faggot.

Name one YA dystopian Novel since the Hunger Games to actually have Box office and NYT success.

This explains a lot about this place actually.

Another quality argument from one of you retards.
Go stroke your tiny cock some more.

Honestly the Naruto franchise deserves this at this point.

Don't judge an industry on your myopic consumption habits within that industry.

Another one folks!

This explains a lot about this place actually.

XDDD

Yet another! Watch as he goes all night because someone dared to criticize the industry.

Since my argument was that YA dystopian novel readers weren't watching movies, I don't know why I'd look into box office successes in that genre. However, I looked into a few of the "big name" YA dystopian series (Divergent, The Maze Runner, etc.) and none seemed to have done enough to place on the NYT Bestsellers list.

Dystopian fiction in general is on the rise, but everyone seems to be headed for Orwell and Atwood, not...whoever writes YA dystopian fiction.

>retard indiefag thinks it's about industry (which everyone knows is shit) and not about him acting like a retarded self-aggrandizing cunt (which is what indiefags always do)
Jesus Christ, if you and the likes of you just suddenly got cancer, the world would be a much more intelligent place
>night
I know your minuscule brain is incapable of comprehending some things, but time zones exist. Try to wrap your head around that one instead of shitposting. The board would improve for a month or so.

I unironically believe that World Trigger would make a good live action TV show.

Please stop posting you stupid fucking capebaby.

Kek. Dude the only self-aggrandizing cunt is you because someone doesn't want to read capeshit. Get a fucking grip you weirdo.

>which is what indiefags always do
The fucking insecurity. I can't get over it. I'm sorry I don't want to read 24/7 dude. Hopefully someday you can get over it and move on.

>read capeshit 24/7 dude.

>no arguments, only braindead shitposting
As expected of indiefags.
Go chew on asbestos or something.

And the most idiotic post in the thread award goes to Congratulations on putting words in my mouth like a complete retard you are and showing lots of insecurities despite accusing others of being insecure. Keep proving my point further.

I wouldn't say 100%, he doesn't get into how fucked distribution is, which is an important factor. He talks about drawing people into comic shops, but doesn't seem to realize that comics could also be sold in more shops that people already go to. Also, he thinks New York pizza is the best.

>He thinks also New York pizza is the best.

Well he's right about that, reversing the topping order on a pizza is a travesty that even Satan wouldn't condone.

I liked the animated Hellboy movies more than the live action ones

The live action ones really aren't that great.