ITT: Weird early episode stuff

ITT: Weird early episode stuff

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/CpFdP5yATw0
youtube.com/watch?v=79tIpX8Tnl0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Spongebob season 1 is a lot more moralistic.

>that episode where Homer was the responsible one in the family

wtf

Great reaction images

There's that episode of TaleSpin with the bitchy parrot where Kit and Karnage are strangers to each other when the pilot episode hinges on them having history.

>That episode where Homer drove to a bridge and was seriously about to jump off and kill himself in a wholly non-comedic scene.
>It was the third episode.

This was before Mandy became the spawn of Satan.

The weird creatures the Crystal Gems fought in early episodes that weren't corrupted gems, like the crystal shrimps.

Delet this!

Terrance & Phillip being cartoon characters originally.

no way this is real.png

This and Cosmo having average intelligence (as well as that suave game show host voice).

His last name used to be Williams.

>Brown hair

There have been cases where a show briefly "returns" to early installment weirdness, due to executive fuckery and episodes airing out of order.

Take for example pre-cancellation Family Guy. Season 3 is when the animation starts to get less cartoony and more refined (some would say stiffer), Stewie starts to move on to other things than killing Lois, the "sappy morals" from s1-2 start to be phased out, etc.

Then you get to s3's Christmas special and it's like a jarring throwback; the animation is back to being more loose, Lois' voice is slower, Peter's voice is deeper, all of the characters have big pupils and look like they're stoned, backgrounds are cruder, Stewie is obsessed with killing Lois again, the cheesy morals are back, etc. Of course, this is because the episode was a holdover from early season 2.

right?

The whole first season of Metalocalypse, in the larger frame of the plot and character development is just fucking bizarre.

Moral Orel started out as a highly "fantastic" series, with events like raising the dead in the first episode. After the first few episodes it stopped doing things that were "fantastic" and went for a more realistic approach. Both of them were fine, but just fucking try to watch one of the first episodes in the middle of watching season 3 and it's insanely different.

the first time you see smithers in the simpsons he's black
but then he's white after that

And then there was the episode Back to the Pilot, which had Stewie and Brian revisiting the pilot episode, so we got to see modern Stewie interacting with pilot episode Stewie and stuff like that. I thought it was pretty neat. They point out how Stewie used to be so obsessed with killing Lois, how his voice sounded a bit different, and how he used a lot of long, complex words to sound smart.

Did the current Garfield kill and replace the old one?

Maybe I'm just used to Season 2 on, but Sarah looks and acts almost completely different after season 1.

In season 1 she legit loved her husband, come season 2 she's unhappy her husband's such a pussy, come season 3 she's back to somewhat loving her husband and I don't think she appeared at all in season 4. I think she was whatever they needed her to be for the episode Kinda like how sometimes Rily had some hidden talents and other times the boy was so dumb he couldn't even write his name.

She seemed pretty normal in the first episode.

>ywn forget your first "why boner".

Hmm

Cheeter.

Motherfucker got me into futa.

Early PPG episodes had a Powerpuff signal instead of the phone.

Dino could talk in his first Flintstones appearance

I wouldn't call this weird as the entire character was meant to evolve and mature over the course of Beast Wars/Machines

>that early episode where Lois called her Debbie

Courage spoke a lot more in the pilot episode.

>this on a old school tube tv

a esthetic

She appeared in Season 4 in that Chris Brown parody episode and was a drunken harlot.

No, they were literally referring to him as "Cheeter" instead of Cheetor. I didn't misspell an intent to convey a rule breaking nature in an immature character.

that second panel is eerily similar to those smug NEET pepe images

Jack seems to be a lot more cunning and focused in these episodes.

Isn't the pilot episode the one with the chicken where nobody talked?

Oh, I think I got that confused with the Duck Brothers episode, what with them both involving birds from space. I guess he just spoke more often in the first season or something.

>"Let's make an episode where her smiling would rip reality!"
>Kids watching reruns 4 times a day: "But... she smiled before."

It's also the only time he fights like a real samurai, using spears and bows on horseback while wearing armor

I think he likes speaking more with creatures his size and kind, or maybe that's just wrong.

Homer was the responsible dad in early episodes, he may be dumb, but he wants what's best for his family

I used to love mondays when I was NEET too. Mondays are only shit when you're a wageslave.

He did, I watched it recently. It was so weird

Courage basically not speaking after the first season all but ruined the show for me.

I've heard that even Genndy had complained a bit that he wasn't doing enough actual samurai action in some episodes so they had to do a careful mix between samurai swordfighting and chinese martial arts which one of the animators was really into

Smug smirk=/=smile

>Make an entire episode about Mandy having to smile.
>Doesn't even fully show her smiling at the end.

hivemind?

but katana's weren't actually samurai's primary weapons in war

That was probably because the show wasn't really really sure what it thought it was at that point. The first couple season were really generic. It wasn't sure if it wanted to be like the other sitcom family shows or something more.

>frail, weak and slow but wise old man that needs a magic talisman to simplely being able to eat cheese and walk with his back straight at the first episodes
>neurastenic old man, martial and magical arts master, highly cunning and prone to fight physically and mentally against evil forces and kicking dudes much larger than him meters ahead with ease , speaking catchfrases all the time and suffering no pain at all at the second season.

Well yeah. He's not actually fighting a war. More like a bunch of impromptu fights. Samurai didn't carry around spears and bows everywhere they went. Swords were basically their sidearms. It's not something you use on the front lines but a samurai was more likely to have a sword on him at any given time than he was a spear or bow.

>first couple season
?? The show found it's footing in season 2. Homer's immediate voice change showed that.

youtu.be/CpFdP5yATw0

Hey Arnold

>season 1, shit ton of boarders
>season 2, Mr. Hyuhn, Earnie, Oscar amd his wife

Its weird how they wrote off so many characters... including the woman who wanted Arnold

I'd argue that she always loved Tom throughout the seasons, but wished that he would just loosen up a bit and be more assertive. Given said husband was straight laced and uptight, I can't really blame her.

Folding Ideas explained it best: Homer is supposed to be an exaggeration of father figures in television. It's just that father figures in TV went from Father Knows Best, to down on his luck and working a dead end job, to complete moron.

>Courage basically not speaking after the first season all but ruined the show for me.
didn't ruin the show for me, but I definitely wasn't a fan of it, basically caused Courage to be a really flat character in many episodes

I like to think that Uncle using the Dog Talisman had some long term effects on him

I want to know who Mr. Smith really was

They made a toy of this for a sdcc

Must have been tough times

BU

Just look at the Simpsons arcade game.

Marge has bunny ears hidden under her hair, Lisa is 7 instead of 8, Smithers is an outright villain, Sideshow Bob is a good guy, etc.

>Smithers is an outright villain
Is he not?

... Is this a JoJo reference?

He only had one line at the end of the episode.

Didn't he start doing less in Seasons 4 and 5?

there are no canon colors in family guy

Smithers, not MrBurns. That's their beef.

What the fuck is this FILTH?

Also in the pilot Eddy called Doubled D Edd

Smithers was against Burns' plans to steal candy from babies and block out the sun, but current Smithers would probably go along with anything Burns wants to do.

>all these Garfield casuals who don't know the lore
He loves Monday mornings. He hates Mondays because he always has terrible luck and bad things happen to him on them.

well, it's a comic (albeit one with an animated adaptation), but...

DEXTER'S RUNNING AROUND IN HIS UNDERPANTS
UNDERPANTS
UNDERPANTS

Why do cartoons do this? Is there a name for this trope?

Speaking of The Simpsons, remember when Smithers was black?

Wasn't she always kind of like that, but the way it was presented was different? In early seasons it was more of an afterthought in a way and more comical. In later seasons it was pretty much her defining characteristic.

Already brought up.

>wakey wakey waggie!

People like Charlie Brown

Budokai Tenkaichi 3 had early anime colors Vegeta as an alternate outfit too

I was thinking about this the other day and how weird it was

Betty Boop used to be an anthropomorphic dog.

youtube.com/watch?v=79tIpX8Tnl0

I wager partially it's referential to previous instances also it's just in general a case of "this character isn't actually important. This is a prop that thinks it's a character." Also sometimes it just works better if the character is faceless.
Yeah Early Cheryl was more just kind of just a thirsty cry for attention but not totally detached from reality just doing weird shit in a futile attempt to feel whole. Similarly Pam was the dorky Human Resources Manager concerned with proper workplace etiquette who Archer could beat up with her conflict resolution dolls by the middle of Season 2 she had no manners and could kill multiple men with her bare hands.

Kinda seems the case of adapting the manga into a anime. Marco in One Piece is a result of appearing as a obscure background character.

>Yeah Early Cheryl was more just kind of just a thirsty cry for attention but not totally detached from reality just doing weird shit in a futile attempt to feel whole. Similarly Pam was the dorky Human Resources Manager concerned with proper workplace etiquette who Archer could beat up with her conflict resolution dolls by the middle of Season 2 she had no manners and could kill multiple men with her bare hands.

Both of those characters transitioned into their zany flanderized forms almost instantly. This was not a gradual transition.

tommy's orange shirt

Courage was good all the way until it ended but yeah there's a story behind that.

the network stepped in and asked for Courage to talk less. It starts right into Season 2. Personally I think they gutted him but the show retained quality. His actor confirmed it and I think Dil said something about it too

Not specifically Sup Forums, I know, but early Pokemon episodes did some really weird shit.