Why did they let this happen?

They had over 30 years since Alderaan to make some kind of defense or strategy against Death Star like technology.

Other urls found in this thread:

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Military_Disarmament_Act
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Hand
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>you will never ever kill trillions of liberals instantly

all they had to do was prank call Hux

All they had to do was hyperspace their planets away!

Remember when Star Wars had tension?

Now galactic government can be eradicated at the whims of fringe groups, and practically any ship can be defeated by hyperspacing right into it. Everything accomplished in the previous movies has been destroyed, and there's been absolutely nothing to suggest that the exact same won't happen to this trilogy too.

Remember when Star Wars had tension?
Screw tension. It took me till 10 minutes after the movie ended that the scene was showing multiple planets being blown up buy a long(er) distance multishot death star.
I at least want to know what I'm supposed to be looking at before I decide if was tense to the correct degree or not.

Nothing matters, those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

It's funny nobody ever really called bullshit over the super solar system destroyer that shoots THROUGH HYPERSPACE and by the power of midichlorians or some shit allows you to see the planets getting blown up from lightyears away like they did over TLJ and the garbage sacrifice of strong female character.

>nobody ever called bullshit on the Deathier Star
What

You can't really defend anything in space, it's too damn big. Offense is the only winning strategy even in space fantasy universe.

Why the hell didn't the new government own a Death Star then? Treat it like nukes IRL, everyone needs one so their neighbors don't use them to blow them off the map.

I don't know. But it doesn't really matter anyway after captain purple hair destroyed whole new order fleet with her light speed kamikadze strike, because you can fuck up any planet the same way and don't really need a death star, just a big spaceship and droid.

Because the Mouse's New Republic was this pants on head:
>It is vital that we demilitarize our government so that a galactic war cannot happen again

The old EU's New Republic expanded their military, but they didn't build any big super weapons because those are pretty inefficient.

Because the new government disarmed before they even finished off the Empire because Disney needed an excuse to rehash the original trilogy.

Military Disarmament Act-mind

According to what ive read the new writters have stated that the new government destroyed all of their weapons after tlj so they dont even have blasters and troops let alone a ships
These people got paid more than you ever will to write this garbage

reminds me about how after ww1 europe didnt invest in rebuilding its military, except for one country

at some point, the spear always beats the shield.

>planets can be this close together
>planets this close together can be habitable
>lasers can split without entering a medium that allows them to do so

How does the beam split when it's light-years away from the thing shooting it?

>hurr durr ddururr how can da force b reel
>how is dere sound in spaaase

that's you right now. Hella annoying

you accept such low quality?

Why didn't Geordi just modify the phase variance and save Courascent II?

Your parents did after you were born, so why can't he?

you probably voted for Trump, didn't you? Amazing that I can just SENSE it.

I don't givva fuck. I feel totally justified in boycotting these fucking movies given the way they keep blowing holes in canon and beclowning and/or killing off my childhood heroes.

>Why did they let this happen?

Because dumb nostalgiafagging nerds wanted to feel what they felt when they watched A New Hope decades ago, Disney realised that and acted accordingly.

Congrats, you got your fucking reboot-in-all-but-name - complete with the original cast

>If we ignore the planet killing technology, it will just go away!

Kylo didn't have anything to do with firing the beam

>thread about Star Wars laser
>DRUUUUUUUUUMPF
Rent. Free.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

How are you going to stop mass production of weapons? A galaxy has 100 billion stars

And what, you voted for a loser? Good pick retard

>prequels
>3 movies worth of political destabilization and scheming required to bring down the republic

>shitquels
>one (one) meme canon

>anything about star wars makes sense
It literally has hundreds of alien races who can all manage to speak the same language. It's definitely a "turn your brain off" series. But I can see why these new concepts are jarring for suspension of disbelief. Kamikazes and jihadists of the SW universe could've been lightspeeding into fleets all the time.

Should've named her Ackbar's wife

It's time we all admitted that George Lucas did nothing wrong.

This kind of shit is why it was good for Star Wars to stick really, really close to "WWII in space" kind of combat. Firing a weapon from light years away, or using hyperdrives to create incredibly deadly kinetic kamikazes, are smart things that people would absolutely do with access to this level of tech, but they start you down the Frodo path of "why don't they just..."

Better to just stick with the pseudo-logic you've got.

Remember when they needed the backing of the galactic government to even fund the construction of the Death Star? And now some group of terrorist can build an even bigger one just next door to the seat of galactic power?

Note that we're not defending the Mouse's decision to have the New Republic subscribe to Trudeau's Art of War. We're disparaging it as stupid.

However the super weapons had pretty fucking shit track records in universe. They'd blow up one or two targets and then be destroyed by a small starfighter or something. That's a huge waste of resources. Rather than putting all your eggs in one conveniently destroyable basket, it makes more sense to build a fleet of capital ships. They might not have been able to destroy a planet outright, but they could melt every population center from orbit in an afternoon.

There's a difference between turn your brain off and tone your brain down

>billions of alien species all speaking the same language
Nah, get the fuck out with his nitpik, I don't need thousands of different languages and every scene with subtitles and interpreters to communicate

Take the Metal Gear Solid 2 approach. build one ultra death weapon and protect it with a lot of normal sized death weapons.

An anti-Death Star Death Star!

yeah, it doesn't have to be realistic it just has to have a general internal consistency

Trump really did a number on you faggots didn't he.
You can't even read a post about autistic Star Wars science without it triggering election flash-backs.
Your head must be hell to live in.

Starkiller Base is the stupidest addition to Star Wars canon.

>There's a difference between turn your brain off and tone your brain down
There isn't you're a brainlet

And people act like TLJ ruined Starwars..

You can't ruined something that was already ruined shitheads.

There's tech to stop that but the first order stopped putting gravity well generators and shields on their Star destroyers.

its not even the dumbest star system destroying superweapon in canon unfortunately

No, the hyperspace ramming one-uped it, and I am sure JJA won't want to be outdone and will try to make something else dumber in the 9th movie.

Arsenal Gear was like an air craft carrier, but a submarine. And the RAYs were like fighter jets, but submarines. That could also walk.

It would've been good if it hadn't been destroyed in the first movie, because it's a good justification for why the First Order managed to go from being a small fringe group to taking over the whole fucking galaxy so quickly.

If there should've been one advantage to knowing you're making a full trilogy ahead of time, it should've been knowing not to blow their load on that in the first fucking movie. Keep it around!

>can't even put a legit sentence together

Didn't they changed the size of the DS2 by 1/5 to make Starkiller base look more threatening?

The Sun Crusher isn't canon

The more powerful and important that you make something, the more likely some asshole with plot armor will come along and blow it up.

not anymore yeah, but it was at the time it was introduced

weirdo for sure, funny how when someone demands quality you think they're republicans

Nigga, you seriously upset by that.
Star Trek has a fuck ton of super weapons that can be used at any moment for or against the federation, time travel, genesis device's n sheeit.
Why didn't Republic build their own defensive Death Stars, they have the plans!

>Death star technology
>In a movie where they just PROVED ON-SCREEN that you can abuse warp drive to turn yourself into a relativistic missile.

Disney inadvertently made all of Star Wars retarded by addressing the question that had been ignored previously: Relatavistic bombardment exists. In no fantasy world where you can send a clump of dirt into a planet at warp speed and kill the entire population do you need to build a death star.

I jokingly said seeing the Starkiller base that the next weapon was going to be a weaponized Dyson Sphere called the Annovhilator and they'd fire off multiple like a Halo Array and end the series.

Hyperspace suicide bombing is the "why didn't the eagles just take Frodo to Mt. Doom" of the SW universe, except people came up with rational reasons to explain that one away and with the hyperspace suicide jump there really aren't any good reasons.

Darksaber gets my vote for being more dumb.

>Hutts steal the deathstar plans
>They're too cheap to build the deathstar, so they just build the super laser
>They're too cheap to pay people to build it, so they use shiny beads to pay some autistic alien hive mind to build it.
>The New Republic tried to sabotage it, but their commandos are intercepted and killed before they can do anything
>The dumb thing blows up anyway the first time that they try to fire it.
Crix Madine died for that stupid story.

Why would Hutts want to blow up planets anyway

>split
the beams came out of the base split

It's the future YOU chose

Well before the Mouse took over, the EU went into detail about how hyperspace worked. It wasn't literally sending ships flying around at relativistic speeds. It was traversing to another plane that loosely correlated to points in realspace. The jump to lightspeed was an illusion of motion. Large gravity wells like those around planets would distort hyperspace into regions that would be fatally hazardous for any ship traversing hyperspace.

So hyperspace ramming wasn't possible with the old EU's hyperspace. The best that you could do was jump really close to something to get into knife-fighting range. The most weaponized that hyperspace ever got was the Galaxy Gun, and it just used hyperspace to displace fuck-huge missiles that would re-materialize really close to their target.

That's at least a neat explanation. I'd take that over what Disney gave us.

I think it was a mix of both wanting to terrorize their enemies and mine the juicy metallic cores of planets.

>Starkiller Base was a mobile ice planet located in the Unknown Regions that served as a stronghold of the First Order thirty years after the Battle of Endor. Commanded by an unofficial triumvirate of General Armitage Hux, Kylo Ren and Captain Phasma, it was armed with a superweapon capable of destroying entire star systems halfway across the galaxy. The First Order viewed this ability as an evolution of the planet-destroying capabilities of the Galactic Empire's Death Star designs, with the weapon serving as the ultimate culmination of Old Empire research into dark energy translations and hyperspace tunneling.

>The planet was ultimately destroyed by a Resistance attack due to a weak point exploited by pilot Poe Dameron, causing the implosion of the entire planet as the superweapon was firing upon the Resistance base on D'Qar. The stored stellar energy then expanded, causing the planet to turn into a star.

Imagin the leverage he'd have if he got that thing working. He could get anything he wanted, and no government would dare oppose him. If they did he'd just aim it at their planet and blow them up. The only reason the Death Star didn't completely crush the rebellion was that it was an underground group that no one government could be traced to.

>The first movie had a Death Star that blew up a planet! We need a bigger Death Star to blow up more planets! Nostalgia! Money!

>not acquiring leverage

One of the books had some sadistic Imperial weapons researcher that enjoyed jettisoning prisoners in escape pods while his ship was in hyperspace. As it was explained in the book, it was impossible to drop back down into realspace without a hyperdrive. So the poor saps in the escape pods were stuck in hyperspace forever with no hope of anyone ever finding or rescuing them.

>you have an army and could easily just take control of the new republic with force
>instead you give a half arsed speech about something
>shoot laser across the galaxy(?)
>everyone can see it moving across the sky on other planets
>destroy 4 planets awkwardly near each other

The state of the universe makes no sense. Republic is in control yet their military is the resistence. A fucking planet is able to be weaponized over decades and no one notices until it's too late.

>Crix Madine
RIP

> The stored stellar energy then expanded, causing the planet to turn into a star.
utterly fucking retarded

Nothing in the sequel trilogy will ever top how fucking shitty this was, what the fuck was abrams thinking

OH MY GOD! SHUT THE FUCK UP! THIS WAS NECESSARY TO GET PEOPLE INTO STAR WARS AGAIN!

We've had over 70 years to develop some kind of defense against nukes

the in lore explanation that the govt just did massive cut backs while the imperial fleet just existed with its full remaining strength is the most ridiculous i've heard

We are a primitive race that makes up just over 7 billion people. They have a galaxy full of races that all have warp engine technology. Let's give them some slack

and it worked, the first order barely had to do anything to topple the new republic
saving trillions of lives from dying in a pointless war

New canon has made Mon Mothma from being useless to being dangerously stupid. She had the military of the New Republic dissolved so the stuff that allowed the Empire to rise would never happen again. Hence why there is a Resistance against the First Order because the New Republic are just sitting there waiting for their asses to get raped. Of course we all know what happened.

actually we have, we have anti missile systems that can take down nukes by firing a laser at it disabling it
this system is active in europe

We don't need to stop the nukes if we can stop the other guy from pulling the trigger.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Hand

>Trillions of lives were saved from the ravages of war
>Instead trillions of lives were lost to execution when the First Order blew them up without opposition.

*billions

I dunno, multiple highly civilized planets with at least one massive city. Could be trillions.

billions

I really expected the opening crawl in TFA to be about the Republic, spearheaded by Rebellion troops, mopping up the remaining Imperials in the galaxy.

If only there was some story that they could have told where the roles were reversed and the Empire no longer had an advantage of resources and manpower but was still a credible threat.

But that's impossible. The good guys have to be the underdogs at all times.

>So hyperspace ramming wasn't possible with the old EU's hyperspace.
Neither was jumping directly into a planet's atmosphere. Don't know why TLJ is being touted at the thing to rape Star Wars lore. TFA did that plenty.

>TFA did that plenty.

Even had them jump out of a hanger bay as I recall.

camrip bros pls post weebums

They should have made episode 10 first; retreading the empire rebellion story with a bit of a twist. Then fill in the gap later.
Get the fanboy nostalgia out first, but make a gap so they don't have to destroy the universe to do it.

KILL TRILLIONS
TO SAVE BILLIONS

Look, in NuWars shielding on a capital ship literally appears and disappears as the plot demands within the same fucking scene, so it is obvious that any expectations of internal consistency should be left at the door.

back to sleep sweet prince, let other heroes continue your mission.

you have earned your rest

The Mouse has been fucking everything up since they moment they bought it. But at least jumping into a planet's atmosphere didn't undermine every space battle from every previous film.