Be Ridley Scott

>be Ridley Scott
>hire great art designers for Alien and Blade Runner
>get called a genius for filming other people's hard work
>spend the rest of your career churning out films that range somewhere between mediocre and dogshit
Why the fuck do people like this hack again?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BKdkQQXoZW4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>I dont rate Ridley Scott
imagine being this pleb.

duudes a hack, jujst look his interviews or behind the scenes, no discenrible talent

>what is The Duellists

A film that's more contrived and less beautiful than pic related.

>a movie isn't as good as a Kubrick kino

woah

The latest film was kidnap kino though, not even memeing

>In his commentary for the DVD release of his film Scott comments that he was trying to emulate the lush cinematography of Kubrick's film, which approached the naturalistic paintings of the era depicted.
Jeez Louise Papa cheese

Ridley had the vision to add Sigourney Weaver in her underwear to pic related's work. That's what makes him a brilliant and iconic director.

after watching exodus gods and kings, i knew for a fact that this guy is a senile old hack who has been riding on the coattails of other people's hardwork. there's no way he can be taken seriously if that was a movie in his artistic vision.

he got lucky with gladiator as well because there were vastly more talented people in every other facet of the movie. it's no surprse that the movie won an oscar in everything except for the directing. ridley's idea of a good movie is a slow mess of pacing where not much happens and just scratch your head for a bit then the credits roll. looking at his filmography on wikipedia, you don't get the feeling of ah, look at all these gems. you get feelings of jeez, thank christ i don't have to watch that piece of shit ever again

You forgot about Gladiator.

Ridley gave us Roman kino so he gets a pass.

see

sweaty...
youtube.com/watch?v=BKdkQQXoZW4

bad casting,bad script

He is good with visuals and production design and dependant on peeps he hires on everything else.

from his recent tries I liked The Counselor

>look his interviews or behind the scenes, no discernible talent
This.
His real talent was bringing people together and getting money out of the studios. Alien, BR and Gladiator are awesome so he did something right.

He's talented but yeah, he's way overrated and a egomaniacal cunt.
Read his recent interview in Variety magazine where he basically takes all the credit for the story of BR049 from it's writers and director.

He wasn't patting himself on the back and trampling over the writers of Prometheus and Alien Covenant after they came out. Cause those two actually sucked.

Black Hawk Down

>Blade Runner
>Alien
>Gladiator
>AoJJbtCJJ

When he's good he's great

Pretty much nailed it OP.

Hannibal was the movie that made me realize what a hack he is. Pure dogshit.

>>AoJJbtCJJ
Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Jesse James? Also, Ridley Scott didn't direct the movie you're thinking of. An Australian dude did.

Thanks, I was trying to figure out what movie the idiot meant.

>Defends Ridley Scott
>Doesn't even know what movies are his

The state of Scott fans

Prometheus is a masterpiece.

Dude should get back to making add

There's no directors with their whole filmography consisting of masterpieces except for Nolan. Fact.

There are meme-directors, though which are expected to be praised. And everyone pretend to like them. Like Kubrick.The hack with maybe 3 good movies and rest are mediocore flicks.

the fact that people say barry lyndon is a good film just proves to me kubrick cock suckers are shit eating retards

>There's no directors with their whole filmography consisting of masterpieces except for Nolan.
Malick, Lynch, Snyder

>The New World
Anyone who says they liked that shitfest is a pseud of the highest order. It wasn't even interesting in as a failure. It was just vacant tedium.

>Nolan.
reddit migrant

fincher, shane carruth, kurosawa, feig

Duelists
Alien
Legend
Black Rain
Gladiator
Kingdom of Heaven
Prometheus (visually)

I agree that hes been shit lately though.

>snyder
if you believe this unironically, kindly kill yourself

P.T. Anderson obviously

The Counselor was his last great film. Exodus was okay.

Wait. You name only this one? You could say that about almost every of his movies. Unless you are fan of his filmmaking style. The New World is one of the simplest of his.

>His real talent was bringing people together and getting money out of the studios.

Isn't this what most good directors do anyway? They get a vision and then do whatever it takes to make that vision come to the screen.

Badlands has a charm that none of his other films do. I like it enough that I'm not going to write him off completely, but he seems to get worse and worse the more he makes movies.

he's white

>There's no directors with their whole filmography consisting of masterpieces except for Nolan. Fact.

Fincher
Kubrick
Paul Thomas Anderson
IƱarritu
Haneke
Arronofski
Alfonso Cuaron
Hayao Myazaki
Lynch
Spike Jonze
Bong Joon-no
Kar-Wai

the script was fine apart from the historical inaccuracies and no one behaving like they should have in the period
I'm assuming you watched the director's cut and not the atrocious theatrical version though

Andrew Dominik, yeah. It's disappointing how few films he's done.

He was pretty famous for a bit here after Chopper, but as usual in the Australian film industry you're highly unlikely to ever get enough money to make a second movie, even if the first was a success.

>Lynch
Dune was shit mate

I'm also unsure about whether or not Inland Empire was pretentious wank or genius.

Gonna stop lurking and actually post for once; Ridley is considered one of the most talented storyboard artists who also directs. People seem to glaze over how talented and meticulous he is artistically as well.

>Haneke
>FUCK HORROR MOVIES
>FUCK WESTERN CIVILIZATION
10/10, will be remembered forever