No Capeshit

Can we have an anti-capeshit general for people that love comics but find the entire superhero comic industry repugnant or maybe just want to talk about something other than a childish genre which devalues an entire medium?

>What good non-capeshit stuff have you been reading recently?

>Any recommendations for fellow intellectual adults that read comics?

Today I read Adrian Tomine's 'Killing and Dying', the poignancy of these little vignettes he's concocted is pretty astounding. A good consideration of balance seems to have been given regarding how much the dialogue and the pictures speak. They work in a sort of parallel harmony and one inhales as the other exhales. A charming and emotional read of mundane lives made fascinating.

(you)

>what good non-capeshit have you been reading recently

Finder: Third World
The Eternaut

I've just started reading Absolute Sandman vol 1 having heard for years how it's GOAT but I'm immediately concerned by the amount of capefaggery in the opening chapters. Does it break off from this DC universe garbage soon and get good? I'm finding it so-so atm, I just finished the part where it introduces his sister.

>recommendations

Sandman
Lucifer
Swamp-Thing by Alan Moore
Transmetropolitan
Finder
Eternaut
Edena
East of West
Habibi
Locke and Key (horror/lovecraftian)

i'll think of more in a minute

oh, it definitely breaks off. keep reading

Fable
Calvin and Hobbes
Skizz, D.R. and Quinch, Ballad of Halo Jones (all by Alan Moore)
S.C.U.D. the Disposable Assassin
The Unwritten
Low
Saga
Berlin

There have been attempts at 'Indie Generals' before. They always fail because 'Non-Cape' leaves simply too large a variety of writers, genres, etc. to talk about while still keeping up a stable and focused discussion. Euro threads can work, threads about a single franchise like the Mignolaverse can work, but I've yet to see a thread on 'everything but the big 2' pick up steam.

But getting back on topic recently read the new World of Edena collection. The art is fantastic of course, but the story is pretty weak and generic once they actually get to Edena. Though I did enjoy the antics of the masked goons.

Roche Limit
The Bus

>third reply to OP
>this is a dead thread, guize

oh please

You sound like the epitome of pic related OP, I have no idea why you'd think that anyone would be willing to have a discussion with you.

My no-capeshit recommendations:

Preacher
From Hell
Button Man
Megg, Mogg & Owl
The Fade Out
Aliens: Salvation
Sin City
Andre the Giant
Ghost World
My Friend Dahmer
Leviathan
Like A Sniper Lining Up His Shot
Beautiful Darkness
Can't We Talk about Something More Pleasant?
Crecy
American Spledour
Templar
Paying For It
also Dredd & Hellboy although I've seen some people lump them in with capeshit before

I probably have around 300 TPB's and I can count the capeshit on one hand.

I'm not saying it's dead, just that this particular style of thread never really works as an actual discussion.

For example, so far all we've been doing is listing things we like.

Old deadpool was great and that wasn't really "capeshit"

>Today I read Adrian Tomine's 'Killing and Dying', the poignancy of these little vignettes he's concocted is pretty astounding. A good consideration of balance seems to have been given regarding how much the dialogue and the pictures speak. They work in a sort of parallel harmony and one inhales as the other exhales. A charming and emotional read of mundane lives made fascinating.

>being this pretentious about being an adult

You sound fucking insecure, man. Chill out.

Why are all non-cape readers so pretentious and pompous? Go ahead and make a thread about your indie books. But do the impossible and try not to be a cunt about it. How about that?

Is there any comics you own that you feel spoil your shelf and store them out of sight instead?

Mine are:
The Sculptor
The Walking Dead
Blankets
Habibi
Scott Pilgrim

Probably loads more but they're the first examples that spring to mind.

You know, the biggest problem with non-capes in the 90's was exactly what your post is; just bitter whining about capes.

If you don't like capes, cool, but fuck off with this jealous crap. Enjoy comics instead of jerking off about how good your farts smell because you don't read cape comics.

The fuck are you talking about dude? Of course it was capeshit. It's superhero(es) fighting badguys and having adventures.

Writing off capeshit is equally childish to sticking to it exclusively. Where do you draw the line? Is Black Orchid "acceptable"? What about The Vision? League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? Shade the Changing Man? Howard the Duck? What about characters like Swamp Thing or Doctor Strange?

>jealous
That's not a synonym for resent y'know.

I love Killing and Dying. I always thought Optic Nerve was kind of weak, aside from issue 8, but once you hit issue 13 with Go Owls and Translated From The Japanese it's like magic. Tomine got hella good.

>What good non-capeshit stuff have you been reading recently?
I recently read Noah Van Sciver's Youth is Wasted. I think that's the best stuff I've read in a long time. I love Noah and he's one of the best out there right now. I also picked up a copy of The Eltingville Club and loved that too. Every single story has something that hits too close to home ad it's simultaneously humiliating and cathartic. OP you should definitely look at The Northwest Comix Collective story.

Plus a lot of Peanuts and Archie because I have a heart.

>all we've been doing is listing things we like

and that's how people learn about new things

>no Concrete
A travesty.

A smart and rational human being can be open to comics that fall under the capeshit umbrella but aren't mired with the same old boring tropes that have been regurgitated for decades and elevate themselves beyond adult male fanfiction of franchises that ran their course decades ago.

"Behold my boring existence" is the cancer killing indieshit.

>The fuck are you talking about dude? Of course it was capeshit. It's superhero(es) fighting badguys and having adventures.
Deadpool isn't a superhero and the only superhero that appears is thor and tom cruz.

Like superheroes, it's an over-saturated genre and there's a lot of clunkers in that category for sure, but there's a few gems among them made by talented people.

I'd also add Stray Bullets,Y the Last Man, 100 Bullets, ontop of most of your list for stuff I've enjoyed.

recommendation threads aren't good threads

>Y the last man

thanks i forgot that one

fuck off shill

they can all be summed up as
>what are some good comics
>here are some good comics
>ok thanks
thread end

heard of it, haven't read it yet

or underwater welder for that matter. i'm concerned that it might be boring but i'll never know until i read it. i think jeff lemire wrote underwater welder so that might be a plus. jeff lemire is writing descender i think. i've only read the first 2 issues of descender and want to read more

so fuck off already. leave.

Jeff Lemire did indeed write Underwater Welder and Descender. I enjoyed Underwater Welder, it felt like a Twilight Zone episode in comic form. I haven't read Descender but if you enjoy his non-Superhero work I suggest reading Sweet Tooth as well.

Depending on the run, Sandman and Swamp Thing are cape.
Also that one story arc of Fables.

>>>>>>>>Fables
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Saga
throw in Walking Dead so you can be full-on indie pleb

>Everyone's heard of it therefore it is common mediocrity

Give me a link for it. This piece is hard to find.

Fables turned to shit after the Empire was defeated.

Saga has always been carried by the art, and even then takes a sharp downturn after volume 1. BKV is a massively overhyped mediocre writer.

Concrete is heavy on human condition themes, and does a pretty good job of speculating the reality and daily minutia of being an incidental human golem like Thing. And it's practically devoid of superheroics in favor of grounded action.

Sorry, I don't have a link, I only read physical. I don't judge screen readers because I was one when I couldn't afford comics, but now I can I only read what I buy in print form.

Persepolis

no, Persepolis is actually good

Part 1 is good, part 2 is the uninteresting teenhood of some cunty bore.

It's good but you're kidding yourself if you think it isn't indie comics for plebs.

>part 2 is the uninteresting teenhood of some cunty bore.
so an indie comic

>Why are all non-cape readers so pretentious and pompous?
Doing something like disregarding an entire genre as worthless is something only small-minded people do. You literally will not find an anti-caper who has an informed interest in comics, it's an oxymoron. And this comes from someone who hasn't read the big two on a regular basis in like twenty years.

>Godzilla in Hell
mmm

Look at all this insecurity

>too mature for superheroes
>uses the super mature term "capeshit"

??

Sup Forums has ruined this board

He probably means shit like Batman and X-Men from the big 2.

You mean all boards. I swear they're worse than Sup Forums.

>East of West
Can I just say how this book has all the Hickman problems evident in his capeshit works turned up to 11? Useless character whose existence is justified only by them being "cool and badass" for 2 panels? Check. Characters are only there to provide exposition? Check. Characters only talk in philosophy and exposition? Check. Ideas about society and status quo but not a single human character and perspective? Check.
It honestly really surprises me why Hickman is so popular. Either he is just the ultimate writer for pseudo intellectuals or people just never actually reflect upon his works.

Nobody's worse than Sup Forums.

Sup Forums doesn't even count as Sup Forums, they're basically just a subreddit.

but that writes off TDKR and Year One at the very least, more if you don't have impossibly high standards

Pic related is fantastic as well as the nobody

>Can I just say how this book has all the Hickman problems evident in his capeshit works turned up to 11?
The thing with Hickman is that even though his stuff has all these scientific and philosophical themes you actually have to turn your brain off for it. It is all just there as window dressing. Once I did that I started liking East of West. Black Monday Murders is a lot better anyway, so far at least.

This mini still gets to me.

I know Azzarello gets a lot of shit but 100 bullets is one of my favorite series

The discussion of Korean webcomics belongs do Sup Forums?

I haven't seen any, I guess maybe because the seem more related to anime, but they don't want it on Sup Forums because it isn't japanese.

I have some of them that I read that are not "capeshit", if it counts.

Yeah East of West is really rule of cool concept with badass characters prepped up as some sort of philosophical musings into the look of how society works with all these different political and social ideology. What doesn't work is every character is a high school philosophy graduate who preaches his ideology at every turn and book never really let's reader engage on any level whatsoever. The plot is pretty much telling us what needs to happen and characters are really just mouthpieces. I really think Hickman was forced by his editors to write all the family and relatable stuff in F4.
Another problem for me is the world building in his works are just so artificial. All that said though, I do find his work entertaining, I'm just baffled that how many people think his work is witty or Hickman is the best and most intelligent writer.

I saw a discussion on my Twitter the other day where people were discussing which writers were going to be the next biggest thing in comics and his name really came up a lot. Other names were Loeb and JMS.

>Loeb
>JMS
are these people living in 1998

They were pushed really hard though and both failed spectacularly. What are some recent examples? Soule?

They didn't fail though. Their stuff from 10+ years ago still sells well in trade even today.

Examples of today are probably Soule, Ewing, Spencer, Orlando.

Just because they had success doesn't mean they didn't fail. They never became the next big thing in comics.

are you high? Loeb WAS the big thing for years

Everyone thought he was, especially Marlel. Then they saw his output, then they realized he was always a hack carried by good artist.

right, which is why they fired him instead of promoting him to head of Marvel Television

OH
WAIT

Yes, there are loads of people that are going in to comic shops and asking for a comics by his name.

Oh.
Wait.

That scientist lady who released them was a dumb fuckin sociopathic bitch

Recommendation: ANY comic by Charles Burns

Long Halloween and Hush are probably two of the biggest babby's first Batman out there

Recommendation: the FRANK comics by Jim Woodring

>turned to
Fables was always shit.

Recommendation: THE LIFE AND TIMES OF SCROOGE MCDUCK by Don Rosa

JMS doesn't just write comics and he never wanted to exclusively do that. He got bis big start on tv and is now back to tv.

People read it because it's Batman, not because they think Jeph Loeb wrote it. Pointless argument.

I know, but he was still pushed as the next big thing, DC gave him Superman and WW and Earth One, he never delivered on the promise.

God country is really new but pretty amazing so far. Alziemers feels... old man who's disease is tearing his sons family apart gets a sword that retores his mind and memories. So he refuses to give it back

Tom king. His Batman is a disspointment but he is going to do a New Gods book that may be good cause it's his choice

Does he? He has a bunch of stuff that's obviously done just 'cause he needed the money, but most of his comics are above average to very good.

all five Wonder Woman fans were really butthurt about his run

and that Joker OGN he did was kind of shit

What? His Wonder Woman run was great, and as far as I know, it sold well enough throughout the whole run (and did pretty well in trades too). I bet it was just a few morons in tumblr and Sup Forums complaining about her not being made of clay.

Haven't read Joker yet though, but didn't it win awards and shit? Not saying that it's good just because it won awards, but that he doesn't "get a lot of shit" like the post I was replying to said.

it was great, but people whined because it basically tossed out everything about Wonder Woman's canon, to a much larger degree than other New 52 runs did

NO CAPESHIT!!!

Aaah. I found this one really freaky when someone story timed it. Not bad though.

Has anyone here read Castle Waiting by Linda Medley?

stfu, we're having an actual comic book chat here for once.

Fables had a good run for the first 50 or so issues, but it did decline. It even managed to ruin the climax of The Unwritten

Has anyone read Brubackers Fatale, Fade Out, and Velvet? Thinking of picking them up.

Going to order Prophet soon.

He still does some comic stuff though, he still does little creator owned things for Image that are good even though no one reads them. I don't think he's a great writer but he's smart and is a good plotter. I think he needs someone to script for him though.

Fade Out is the best of those, all are solid Brubaker though.

I hadn't read comics since I was a kid, then 5 years ago I borrowed the first Love and Rockets Locas volume (Maggie the Mechanic) from the library. After that I read all the L&R I could find then kept reading other stuff.

I do like some cape stuff, though it's mostly 70s/80s - Moore's Swamp Thing run was the next series that hooked me after L&R.

The best no-cape book I read recently is The Fade Out - I liked Fatale, Criminal and Velvet too, but Fade Out is even better. Amongst current series, Shade the Changing Girl is great (might be considered cape if you're being strict about things).

>Can we have an anti-capeshit general for people that love comics but find the entire superhero comic industry repugnant or maybe just want to talk about something other than a childish genre which devalues an entire medium?

Fuck you and your hipster-tier opinions. I'd just leave this thread alone but if we had a pro-cape comics thread it would be filled with people shitting on cape comics.

So no. You don't get to have this thread.

>yfw making this fucking thread.

>He has a bunch of stuff that's obviously done just 'cause he needed the money
He is one of those writers who only people who exclusively read big two hate, along with Jason Aaron

Fade Out was really good, especially if you like any of those "seedy underbelly of Hollywood" stories. I kinda wish it was a bit longer honestly, though it's short length puts it above Fatale in my opinion.

Thanks, I think i'll pick up Fade Out first, Fatale a bit later.

I read those issues. They were bad.