Holy FUCK

This was absolute Kinógraphy. What does Sup Forums think?

>black and white
>foreign
>checkers
i can literally not think of a more boring concept. nty

February 9, 1960

Dear Mr. Bergman,

You have most certainly received enough acclaim and success throughout the world to make this note quite unnecessary. But for whatever it's worth, I should like to add my praise and gratitude as a fellow director for the unearthly and brilliant contribution you have made to the world by your films (I have never been in Sweden and have therefore never had the pleasure of seeing your theater work). Your vision of life has moved me deeply, much more deeply than I have ever been moved by any films. I believe you are the greatest film-maker at work today. Beyond that, allow me to say you are unsurpassed by anyone in the creation of mood and atmosphere, the subtlety of performance, the avoidance of the obvious, the truthfullness and completeness of characterization. To this one must also add everything else that goes into the making of a film. I believe you are blessed with wonderfull actors. Max von Sydow and Ingrid Thulin live vividly in my memory, and there are many others in your acting company whose names escape me. I wish you and all of them the very best of luck, and I shall look forward with eagerness to each of your films.

Best Regards,

(Signed, 'Stanley Kubrick')

Stanley Kubrick

Awww... Stanley a cute. Cute!

One of Bergman's lesser films, don't get the acclaim.

Boring

pleb garbage

>Max von Sydow

How can one actor be so based he's loved by both Bergman and Kubrick?

>that scene where death is sawing tree

was there ever more kino scene?

Where are the robots and aliens?

The scene right before when they're exchanging insults. Pure comedy Kino

babby's first bergman watch the magician sometime

Most of the films Bergman made are great. I’m particularly fond of Persona, Wild Strawberries and Cries and Whispers.

The scene right after when the red squirrel climbs up and sits on the new stump.

It was a a wild squirrel and it just happened.

It's a perfect film, no doubt.

You mean a movie that's been universally praised for decades is a good movie? Damn, Sup Forums, top quality posting!

It's alright. Not one of Bergman's best.

Why is it just Seventh Seal that pop culture faggots only know about from Bergman? Sure it's a decent movie but he's got a better catalog.

boring

I am unknowing

A bit like a european kurosawa with a fantastical twist, dug it.

Because of the imdb top 250.

le epic playing chess with death

Probably Bill and Ted. Weird how the only movies from beyond 1980 that pop culture fags know about are usually A New Hope, The Godfather and Seventh Seal.

Reddit's favourite movie.

it doesn't matter what Sup Forums thinks. there's nothing more to say about it

7th Seal II : The 8th Seal, The Resealining

>mfw swedish and haven't even seen it

The Seventh Seal III: He Hath Resin

kek

In which Death goes to buy resin to fix his ipad so that he can continue playing chess online against people

Top five Bergman gents? Mine are: Winter Light, Through a Glass Darkly, Wild Strawberries, Persona and Hour of the Wolf.

I find Hour of the Wolf pretty underrated, I would've loved to have seen him tackle more horror movies but for some reason either it doesn't get a lot of attention or people just flat out didn't like it compared to his other movies. I think Bergman could do some themes of horror pretty well like the academic's nightmare in Wild Strawberries.

das aboot right. i liked shame.

Shame was the last one I watched along with The Silence. Liked them both. Might watch Cries and Whispers or The Magician next. I've seen all the surface level Bergman stuff.

My peepee likes Bibi

Existential cinema begins and ends with The Seventh Seal as far as I'm concerned.

Imagine the secondary characters as a pyramid of earthly concerns, with the squire as capstone. They muddle in the toil and strife of existence and rarely rise above the drudgery; it is only the squire, in the periphery of the knight, who plunges his head above the darkened clouds for a peek toward the metaphysical. These are greeters of death (and it is no coincidence that the squire himself opens the door).

The knight has psychologically transcended the mundane, and now prepares to depart physically as well: death is at his door. Yet he delays the inevitable as long as possible so that he may in some small way discover/affect/create meaning in a meaningless existence. He yearns to transcend spiritually before loosing his grasp on life. Ultimately, he achieves this by orchestrating the escape of the actor's family.

This film dislodges the choking questions wedged in the dusty throats of a post-war Europe. It is a love letter (intended or otherwise) to Kierkegaard, to Nietzsche, to Camus, and indeed to the whole of the existentialist pantheon.

It was okay, it seems great when you're first getting into films but in hindsight it's not that amazing.

>Existential cinema begins and ends with The Seventh Seal

epic greentext my friend

Right but it's far from his best movie, it's just recognizable so stupid ass Americans assume it's the best.

You know what other movie I dig? Citizen Kane. Orson Welles sure made a good movie!

worth watching le samourai too, i freaking love film

>expecting an essay reply on a weeb image board when we've already developed a shorthand for "you're retarded, your opinion is retarded and I wish someone had kicked your mother in the uterus while she was pregnant with you".

Mah boi Gunnar stole the show.

It's great to watch movies in your own mother-tongue. It feels tailor-made for you and you understand all the nuances in the performances.

Can someone please explain what happens at the end? Does death come for them all, or wat? I dont understand the symbolism. pic unrelated

Danse Macabre