/lbg/ - Letterboxd General

This Guy edition

post profiles and discuss what you have recently watched

QOTD: What do you think about the man in pic related? Do you like his movies?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/91820676/#91836775
youtube.com/watch?v=g0ha6Mb5_YQ
youtu.be/VKWOlVlQo3E?t=415
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Goon is brilliant

wheres rooney

You don't really think you'll win, do you?

archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/91820676/#91836775

I gotchu.

fucking racist movie

name a movie that you unironically rated 5 stars

The Room.

Academy Awards, USA 1981
Won Oscar
Best Actress in a Leading Role
Sissy Spacek

Recently, The Celebration.

/Spiral_Mountain

youtube.com/watch?v=g0ha6Mb5_YQ

where do I start with Pynchon

Isn't Marina Abramovic that satanic spirit cooker for the Clinton Fountain?

My favorite is Mason & Dixon, and I think it's one of his more accessible/straightforward works. It's certainly long, but if you aren't daunted by length it's a really easy read. He's also at his most sentimental in that one.

GR is revered as the best, though I liked it less than MD. Certainly more complicated and perhaps more historically pertinent.

TCoL49 is where most people start. I wrote a lot about it in college, and Bloom thinks it's one of the best novellas ever written. Pynchon himself has denounced it a little, though I liked it much more than the supposed finished product (Inherent Vice, which I thought was garbage).

V. was my first Pynchon and, frankly, I'd recommend you start there. Good entry point into his paranoid, 60's counter-culture obsession; While challenging, it's easily navigable as long as you keep track of the timelines. Probably my second favorite of his.

The rest are fine, they don't stand out as particularly great, though always enjoyable.

Any super famous LB users that you like?

Lucy

>mason & Dixon
>most accessible
In what sense? Certainly not in terms of prose which is the biggest hurdle for 99% of readers. And what’s with your gay reddit spacing and reading map blog? No need to mystify it, pleb.
Just read crying lot and go from there.

thanks senpai, I was eyeing some books at a bookstore and gravity’s rainbow was there. Since I always see it memed here I thought I might read it but I didn’t know if I should start with something more accessible. I’ll give V. a try

Born Today, Dec 29, in 1937, Barbara Steele - And now, my dear Nicholas, I have you exactly as I want you - helpless. -The Pit and the Pendulum

I just spaced for the individual books because I liked it organized. It's more accessible in the sense that the narrative is straightforward and you aren't dealing with a matrix of timelines. No idea what you're on about with 'prose' being difficult and how that's a hurdle for 99% of readers (seems a bit of nonsense), but alright.

I don't really want to argue about which Pynchon made you feel superior, let's give the guy his recs and move on.

should i watch eraserhead i don't want to watch a movie and feel depressed after it

Eraserhead isnt depressing

It's a comedy

>Eraserhead isn't depressing

>tfw watched list is too pleb to post here

Anyone got a good list of kino?

If you get depressed by moving pictures, you're an emotionally stunted manchild.

Battle of the Sexes
La La Land
Aloha
Irrational Man
The Amazing Spider Man
Magic in the Moonlight
Birdman
The Croods
Gangster Squad
Crazy Stupid Love
The Help
Easy A
Zombieland
The Rocker
The House Bunny
Superbad

>doesn't emotionally engage with external stimuli
>calls others stunted

Watch this. It will change your life

no

Easily the most disappointing new film I saw this year was BLADE RUNNER 2049. Waaaaay too long, with the fatal conceptual error that the original film needed closure and storyline resolution.

I loved the celebration

youtu.be/VKWOlVlQo3E?t=415

Now do one for Battle of the Sexes

Don't tell me, tell Frank.

Happy 79th Birthday Jon Voight! Born Dec 29, in 1938... Uh, well, sir, I ain't a f'real cowboy. -as Joe Buck in Midnight Cowboy

Born Today, Dec 29, in 1911 (or 1908?), Claire Dodd - Roberta, Footlight Parade, The Case of the Curious Bride, In the Navy, The Case of the Velvet Claws...

sounds like kino

Villeneuve... the Kubrick of our generation.

I need the auteur theory because people are still insisting that every new great director is "the next Kubrick". Funny thing about the auteur theory is that it isn't even a theory. It's a way of categorizing the canon by looking at the artists. What the auteurists noticed was that you could easily make a coherent canon based on directors rather than the populism of specific films. Which was great because you could now celebrate cinema as truly being artistic to the fullest extent. Able to capture singular worldviews. So any time someone says X director is "the next Kubrick" they are simultaneously devaluing cinema, Kubrick, and X director.

The "theory" part of auteur theory has nothing to do with recognizing that films usually have a singular author. That's just a fact. What the theory part refers to is a way of classifying the cinematic canon by grouping films by their primary author and making cinema history way more recordable and easier to study.