State of Star Wars

The Last Jedi will probably finish between $1.2 billion - $1.3 billion worldwide. Original conservative projections were $1.9 billion and revised projections were $1.6 billion. Of course this movie was always going to make money. No one with common sense said otherwise. The name Star Wars alone is enough to print money. The question is how will this film will effect future installments. Seeing how it will likely finish several hundred million dollars below expectations, WOM is definitely mixed at best. Solo: A Star Wars Story releases in a few months and most indications suggest it'll also stir some discontent within the fandom. Episode IX has no hook. Return of the Jedi had cliffhangers and Revenge of the Sith had the birth of Darth Vader. Both had a sense of finality. But everyone knows Disney will pump out Star Wars movies annually and Rian Johnson is getting his own trilogy. So where does that leave the franchise? Will Star Wars fatigue be a real thing soon or does Disney have this under control?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qeZx8uAIvIQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Kj3opk1QFTM
moviepilot.com/p/disney-had-no-mapped-story-plans-past-the-force-awakens/4282165
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If it genuinely makes $1.2 billion, that will mean it's made $1 billion less than The Force Awakens. That sounds cataclysmic. Imagine losing out on a billion dollars of box office.

As long as they keep making as much as marvel movies, they will keep making them

Reminder that sequels always made less than the original film back in the 70s and 80s. That isn't the case these days. Sequels routinely trump what came before. Keep that in mind when comparing it to TESB and ROTJ.

Reminder that although Batman vs Superman made almost $900 million worldwide, its successors suffered the bad blood it boiled. Justice League made less than Man of Steel. Poorly received films can have long-term consequences on a franchise.

Reminder ATOC suffered a major from TPM because it wasn't good, it had to deal with the backlash of TPM, and it went head to head with Sam Raimi's Spider-Man (which almost made a billion dollars).

It broke even at $800 million according to Forbes. But this lackluster performance just means Disney will have to spend less money making and advertising these movies in the future. Especially since the merchandise hasn't exactly done too well either this time.

Bump

The scary part is they're going to spend even MORE money attacking critics and detractors next time around. I imagine the money spent on Sup Forums shills alone will be in the tens of millions. Reddit/twitter/Instagram/kikebook astroturfing will be into the hundreds of millions. There will be no way to tell what's real and what's not.

Reminder this movie should have hit the billion already if not for shedding dozens and dozens of million dollars.

TBF did last Jedi even have any toy potential? Some goofy aliens on Space Vegas with 3 seconds of screen time
At least Lucas knew how to sell toys

The fact that Jumanji is closely following behind this movie financially tells you all you need to know.

This guy gets it. While they didn't lose money on this, it's definitely shaken their confidence moving forward and investing more and more money into a franchise that is only losing people's interest. I imagine they'll start scaling back and that whole "new Star Wars movie every year" thing will come to an end real soon.

PORGS! SPACE PONIES! ICE FOXES! PORGS!

youtube.com/watch?v=qeZx8uAIvIQ

I think rival studios will be more willing to push counter-programming from here on out. Jumanji is doing gangbusters against the biggest film of the year. It's only a couple million dollars away from TLJ. Disney has proven it isn't infallible and theaters will be less likely to accept Disney's bogus "deals."

NO

Maybe it's still a success. But not with my money

But shilling only costs the wages of some interns. Don't inflate every cost.

even a couple million less would raise concern
this is not good for them and its brilliant

In what world? Jumanji is currently $119M domestic, foreign half of that.

Daily grosses. Jumanji has the better word of mouth and has a chance to capitalize in the cinematic graveyard that is the start of the year. Its legs might carry it.

>As long as they keep making as much as marvel movies, they will keep making them
So SW movies will soon make less than $1 billion each?

kinda funny, cause I watched both movies today, and I guess they used the same gully covers for both movies

Which did you prefer?

I liked both movies

Plus, this impacts the entire brand. Merchandising, Star Wars themed Disney parks and on and on. This movie is an absolute disaster for them. You can guarantee that Kennedy is gone, it's only a matter of when. I would not be shocked if they let her stay until Solo releases, bombs, and then she "resigns" to "spend time with family."

When was the last time a Disney movie got a rotten critic score on RT?

I think the mistake was not having this trilogy planned out before they started. Not knowing where you're going makes it tougher to have a great hook at the end of the film.

It's really hard to guess where it will end up, anywhere between 1.2 and 1.4 billion worldwide.

It is a shitload of money but it started with 220 domestic. If it had good word of mouth it should have easily gotten 700-800 million domestic gross. That's common sense even for big blockbusters.

This movie had huge weekend then dropped off worse than TFA and Rogue one, which means mixed WOM.

I don't see any chance of Solo making 1 billion dollars.

>This movie had huge weekend then dropped off worse than TFA and Rogue one, which means mixed WOM.
Worst weekend to weekend drop in history. Disney is really damage controlling this movie.

They need to expand into the kotor universe and actually do well or their titles will flop left and right.

>Episode IX has no hook

Kylo already betrayed Snoke in Ep 8 so that won't happen in 9 to have poetry with rotj, so it's more of a mystery as to what will happen than if people were expecting that to happen

you're absolutely off your nut if you think disney is paying anyone to post here

>Will Star Wars fatigue be a real thing soon or does Disney have this under control?

Star Wars fatigue is going to get very real very soon if they keep recycling all this stupid fucking OT bullshit. Not to jerk off RLM and their "AT-ST AT-ST!!! I clapped because I know that!" Routine but Disney is leaning way too hard on the OT and nostalgia and it's going to cripple star wars in the long term. They need to get going soon on actual new stuff, new characters, new stories, new myths, new worlds, new tech, the business of actually building a universe that we want to see more of and explore. Right now we're stuck in a loop where the Rebels 2.0 and the Empire 2.0 do the same things in slightly remixed ways that they've been doing for the past 40 years with all the familiar faces and a couple of new things sprinkled in. It isn't enough and they need to take a hard right away from this nonsense plan ASAP.

Also the fact that we're getting a Han Solo standalone, likely an Obi Wan standalone, and god forbid a Boba Fett stand alone is further digging this hole deeper where they can't do anything new with star wars and have to resort to recycling past content.

This year with pirates of the Caribbean. Which I think was their most expensive film

This place is full of paranoid goons

fuck off user. I don't want to see some filthy, butchered version of kotor. let it be. let disney fuck up their own garbage character and story.

>NO! THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING. I'M IN CHARGE!

>"let the past die"
>says this in a slight remix of TESB
>proceeds to make Han Solo, Obi-Wan, Bobba Fett, and Yoda solo movies
the balls on the mouse

why not go back?

The old republic sucks ass anyways, it was way the fuck more interesting in the original comics where things actually felt like they were long in the past, lightsabers had cords, hyperspace travel was risky and slow as shit, cultures were more primitive, there were no droids, etc... KOTOR might as well be 20 years before the prequels.

We're not worthy

work through quickly and exhaust the EU across a trilogy, build your own batshit retarded trilogy after that

i'm not a tard wars babby whos upset about disney writing off the EU either

its just fucking logic, and didney commited to zero logic except making short term monies

Because I've been here longer than you.

MovieBlob had an interesting point to make in a recent video that these new star wars movies are almost absurdly meta in that they're star wars movies about star wars movies and tropes. It's like the writing and directing teams that Disney has are all ironically making star wars films.

youtube.com/watch?v=Kj3opk1QFTM

Who cares about how much money it makes? Disney has enough money to keep shitting out these movies until the end of time itself

As an old-EU fan I feel both happy and sad that the new disney material is making the old-EU look better and better by comparison. The old-EU really sucked, so this really sucks.

It’s fucking insane that they didn’t have the story down for all 3 films at the start and have gone into it with a rough outline

If there is an observable downward trend then Disney will be forced to make some sort of change and we're debating what that change may be if the trend continues.

It's not enough for a movie to be profitable, big corporations like this -have- to increase revenue year over year or else their shareholders get pissed and that is 100% their audience.

we have to all the rich people monies or they won't give us jorbs

It did have alot of retarded shit, people gave it too much credit. Old Republic stuff was pretty much cool though. I am one of the rare people that actually don’t really like the Thrawn trilogy, though I can tolerate it. At least they brought back Thrawn himself. I don’t like the nu-canon post RotJ at all though

Are we 100% confident that they didn't?

>these new star wars movies are almost absurdly meta in that they're star wars movies about star wars movies and tropes
Problem is that doesn't necessarily make interesting films and these films aren't interesting. They're poorly written and way too derivative of the past films. Kylo Ren and the First Order are often compared to neo-nazis. Failures who aren't even a mere shadow of the actual infamous political party. They are a joke. Sure, haha. Cool commentary. But as movie villains they are ineffectual and a detriment to the films they exist in. They carry no menace or threat. Hux is a cartoon.

>according to Forbes

>The old-EU really sucked, so this really sucks.
I started rereading the Thrawn trilogy after seeing TLJ and yea, Zahn is a mediocre writer who pulls a lot of the same nostalgia tricks, but he's blatant about stealing content from the OT and his narrative is much closer in time to the events of RotJ. It's not great SF but it's superb Star Wars.
>The Virgin Hux vs. The Chad Thrawn
>The Virgin Snoke vs. The Chad Joruus C'Baoth
>The Virgin Island Jake Skywalker vs. The Chad Master Skywalker, Husband of Mara Jade and Father of Ben Skywalker

Rian Johnson said there was nothing to followup TFA. He did whatever he wanted.

A decent outline with some major plot points fully mapped would be decent start and would still give some room for directors and writers some room to be creative.

The best of the old-EU not counting KOTOR is the thrawn-period books and comics that didn't directly involve thrawn. Stuff written by Stackpoke, Allston, Zhan, etc... Things like The X-wing series, Spectre of the Past / Vision of the Future, I Jedi, the dark empire comics, the x-wing / tie-fighter games, shadows of the empire, dark forces / jedi knight. The New Jedi Order was a real mixed bag with some high highs and some low lows, and pretty much everything after it is pure trash.

But while it succeeded and failed in pretty much equal measure the old-EU was often risky, often interesting, and had lots of characters for you to like. This new Disney stuff has exactly 2 decent characters, and not much else going for it.

johnson was never getting his own trilogy, why do you retards keep taking that seriously?

The other problem is that Spaceballs is unironically a better film than either of these and has a better set of characters

Dubs confirms that Rian's next trilogy is going to be canceled before production begins.

I agree. This was the best period of Star Wars. Everything still felt kind of gritty and grim. It had a certain dark atmosphere that is hard to define.

EU isn't close to being exhausted. they haven't even made something like a series of Lando movies yet.

>It had a certain dark atmosphere that is hard to define.
Why are these people so obsessed with hope? I'm playing the new Battlefront game's campaign and it's the same thing. The speeches about hope are the most eye-roll-inducing things in the new movies.

>you're absolutely off your nut if you think disney is paying anyone to post here
"Hello Mr. Garanhayansabataswanaya? Yes, if you could just copy and paste these 50 phrases over the course of the day on this site for the next year, we'll give you $1 a week!"

Though in reality I'd bet it's more like Disney pays some marketing firm who compiles a list of sites and phrases and then organizes the shilling. Are you really gonna notice a couple random posts with generic things like, "oh I liked it, it was better than the prequels anyway!"

episode 9 will fail. it wont break a billion.

>Are you really gonna notice a couple random posts with generic things like, "oh I liked it, it was better than the prequels anyway!"
I respond to most of those with insults

without knowing anything about MovieBob I bet he is a fat guy with a beard with very cuckish views on things. probably liked TLJ

Bingo. And he considers TLJ one of the best movies of 2017.

Because Disney are going to keep making new Star Wars films every single year until they’re not profitable and Kathleen Kennedy believed the last Jedi was good before it was released, they were not expecting this reaction unlike Solo and Rogue One which they doubted

yeah, how many times did a character start monologuing about sparks lighting the fire that burns down the first order, ffs

much easier to be risky in books that don't cost much to make, aren't expected to make a huge amount of money individually, won't be read or watched by a huge number of people, can often have things more easily retconned over a series of future books, have a more forgiving audience willing to accept poor elements of the works and to accept retcons in the future, and where economic future plans of the LucasFilm company isn't relying as greatly upon each individual book.

Fucking this:
>Let the past die
But buy all our Star Wars merchandise that has Yoda, Darth Vader, the Millennium Falcon, Chewbacca, R2-D2 and Darth Maul on them! And look at all these cool X-Wing and Tie Fighter toys! Buy them! But remember to let the past die too!

you know that the bad guy in the movie says that right? Luke even says the end of the movie that he won't be the last jedi.

Well in the mid-late 90's when the old EU was at it's height with all the great books and games we were still before the prequels where the star wars universe had one distinct flavor: grit, nothing was ever shiny or new unless it was the polished floors of an imperial star destroyer. And most of the material took place after RotJ where the destruction of the second death star and the leadership of the Empire wasn't seen as the end of the Empire, but a leveling of the playing field inviting a more open war instead of the desperate "in the shadows" rebellion. So the EU picks up and starts that war, you get WWII in space with tales of giant fleet actions, troop assaults, covert operations, large slugging matches of armies against armies, and the slow grind for victory over years and years with all kinds of stories being told on all fronts of this galaxy spanning war.

It really solidified what star WARS was all about and that is what gives it that kind of indescribable feeling. Whenever you picked up a book you knew that you were plunging back into this WH40K-style eternal conflict and you were just so interested to see how your favorite characters were managing, if they managed to take coruscant or not, who was developing force powers, what new scheming, intelligent, deadly imperial officer was going to show up and grab for power, etc..

Star Wars is B-movie schlock that has always been best served by genre fans and writers doing what they do best, delivering pulpy comic-book like fun and charm to an inherently silly setting with strong characters and neat ideas. Star Wars isn't something that needs or works with a heavy, serious lens, nor is it Lucas-prequel kiddy shit.

Hopefully someday someone high up will understand this.

>State of Star Wars
RIP

Since Rian Johnson likes to "subvert expectations" so much can we just put him in the same class of directors as M. Night Shamallamadingdong?

it's going to do between 1.5-1.7

How the hell is it going to get that money? China? Not likely. They're projecting less than $45 million from China. It's already nearly being past by fucking Jumanji with the Rock for God's sake.

Media is pushing the let the past die message and telling fans to get over whatever this movie did to the greater universe and characters. Can't have it both ways.

He's an odd case because while he is a fat cuck with way too liberal a mindset he knows movies and I tend to value his views more than I would some random jerk-off that agrees with me more. I end up listening to like three dozen of these youtube critics for a given film anyway, so he's just one voice in the bunch. Better than a chris stuckmann or a jeremy jahns, but not as good as someone like kermode.

*tips hat*

I paid 40 FUCKING QUID TO SEE THIS SHIT FUCK THEM I'M NEVER WATCHING ANOTHER

That's true, but you can compare the old books to the new stuff apples to apples and generally the same shit applies.

Looks like audiences are getting #LITTY!

Finished watching the newest chink telesync with hardcoded subs the other hour, some of the battle scenes were good but there were way too many quips and non-white coon faces being thrown at you every other minute which hampered my enjoyment of this movie immensely, also the SJW dog whistles thruout were really fucking unnecessary too of course

one distinct flavor: grit, nothing was ever shiny or new unless it was the polished floors of an imperial star destroyer

*Except for Cloud City and Leia's space ship

The mouse nixed KOTOR from the canon when they took over. They'd look like such pricks if they suddenly decided that they were going to revive bits and pieces of of the old canon just to make more money. No doubt that it'd drag in some of the fans that they've alienated over the past few years.

Holy shit Disney only stands to make 400-500 million in profit? They're ruined. RUINED!!

When are you faggots gonna admit you were btfo? All your carrying on and whining about #notmyLuke amounted to nothing. And I feel like it'll hit 1.5 billion easy. Only been out for 2 weeks and it's proving to have legs.

>it's going to do between 1.5-1.7

No

Suffering from memory loss?

>I imagine the money spent on Sup Forums shills alone
I laugh at you goyim

they even admit to it
>moviepilot.com/p/disney-had-no-mapped-story-plans-past-the-force-awakens/4282165

moviepilot.com/p/disney-had-no-mapped-story-plans-past-the-force-awakens/4282165

It was second only to The Force Awakens for its 13 day take. You faggots are finished, and Disney will be fine. Lucas will die and all will be right with the world. As for Me, I only hope Solo is a decent flick. TLJ didn't ruin my childhood like you manchildren but it didn't exactly rock my world (enough with the fucking diversity hires Disney).

>throwing lucasfilm and JJ under the bus
What a stand up guy
ditch this lesbian looking faggot

>I only hope Solo is a decent flick.
let's not go too far user

The fact Jumanji is close enough, just a few million daily, to a Star Wars movie with original cast and a historical opening gross, despite opening a week later and following a trivia 90s property, is great but Jumanji and Sony don't even need to make a big deal about it at this point, they can just let things flow.

Disney has bigger worries for their own future decision making.

Age of Ultron made like $100 million less than its predecessor and Disney was pissed. The Last Jedi will make almost a billion less than The Force Awakens. This is an underperformance no matter how you try to spin it. If it does better than expected in China maybe it'll reach $1.4 billion.

>1.5
FTFY. If you think it isn't gonna finish around there you're in denial.