THIS IS SO FUCKING SHIT

watching this on tv, I'd heard it was bad but this is just comically tasteless. Has Baz Luhrmann made a single good film in his life?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jxQWckbhVTU
youtube.com/watch?v=ZWir6wUkPtw
youtube.com/watch?v=Ndv9ecwOpjk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I think it's great. The scene where he shows daisy is house with the lana Del ray song is one of the best scenes ever in the history of film

if you forget that it's supposed to be based on the book it isn't that bad. The soundtrack is pretty good (if you ignore that it's supposed to be the 20's)
youtube.com/watch?v=jxQWckbhVTU
youtube.com/watch?v=ZWir6wUkPtw
youtube.com/watch?v=Ndv9ecwOpjk

Yeah, its crap, isn't it? The editing made my head hurt too. Unsurprising because it was directed by the guy who did Moulin Rouge.

I'll never forgive him for cutting out the funeral scene and the scene with Gatsbys father. It's one of the most pivotal of the whole story. Instead of only learning Jays backstory then we get it all explained in detail much earlier.

Fuck this hack!

It’s shit because the book is shit.

Yuck
soundtrack is dreadful
never read the book. Just watching gate film as a film it's fucking gross. So gaudy and tasteless, how can anyone want to make something like this?

He speeds up the dancers at the parties to make it look busier? Partier? It's a mortal sin in my book. Couldn't even watch it after that.

This movie ruined the book forever in my mind.

The director is a fucking hack and should never get work again.

The movie glorifies the shit the book demonized

Any 8th grader can tell you the book is shit. What did you expect?

old sport

ITT: pleb brainlets that will never understand patrician cinema

>he’s never watched films from the 1920s
Every creative decision Luhrmann made was absolute pleb-filtering kino

Didn't expect anything, I've never read the book because I'm not American

worst part is being asked to accept mulligan as something other than plain as fuck

What films form the 1920s that feature Jay-Z can you recommend me?

8th graders don't have the intellectual frame of reference to judge this, let alone any book.
stick to your Harry Potter, brainlet

>I'm Gatsby old sport, the great Gatsby!

This is where I turned it off.

>A movie based on a book.
>A book overblown and hyped by hipsters as a literary masterpiece.
>A hack flop movie.
>Its basically a soap opera in the form of a book.

WOW SO RIVETING! TELL ME MORE ABOUT THESE RICH PEOPLE WITH REAL WORLD PROBLEMS!

Go read or watch the movie about the retard who snaps a girls neck and gets put down instead.

Not as bad as I remember Moulin Rouge being but still awful. Luhrman cares far too much about the extravagance and not enough about humanity.

I’m going to tell you all to fuck yourselves because I enjoyed the movie, the asthetics and the visuals. You all sound like a bunch of angry nerd vulgars with no taste.

I don't want to watch this movie. This was one of the better books I've read in my life and I wouldn't want to spoil it by watching this movie .

turned it off as soon as jay z started playing

but user
no matter how bad the film is (baz luhrmann's film is pretty awful), the original novel still exists and will never change

You're making the right choice. I wanted to like this movie so much. I enjoy his car though.

>that jazzy "crazy in love"

I never read the book, but I enjoyed it.

It had a certain feel, that gave me feely feels, you know that feel?

It's supposed to be gaudy and tasteless though.
That's entire point. Gasby is fucking miserable but still throws those stupid parties just so he can talk to Daisy.

If you're going to post a terrible but overhyped Baz Luhrman film you should start with Australia.

old sport

Gatsby will never have a good movie until they realize its not a romance, it’s a full blown tragedy. Daisy doesn’t love Gatsby, and it certainly shouldnt have fucking Lana del ray songs playing in the background. Lurhman banked on the millenial misunderstanding of a tragedy and made a shit film

But surely they can convey the decadence and tastelessness of the setting without making the film physically painful to look at and listen to. What a fucking endurance contest

I got sick of all the aerial shots zooming around through grotesque CGI space pretty quickly and gave up watching by the time it was revealed that Gatsby was solely motivated by trying to win back Carey Mulligan's character.
I only stuck with it that long to see more Debicki

Tobey Maguire seemed to be doing a decent job in a shit film though.

>Debicki
They had to give her that 20's dude haircut though. Fucking fag Baz got NOTHING right

Shh youre not meant to be entertained by beautiful scenes