So he kept the chosen one from using the portal and let in the ultimate evil the portal was meant to help defeat...

So he kept the chosen one from using the portal and let in the ultimate evil the portal was meant to help defeat. Why was he hired in the first place?

Why even build a time portal that can predict the future if it can't predict itself being destroyed?

He should've just let Jack through, its not like he needed to get stronger, he had already beaten Aku at this point.

not written in stone

I told you guys he was dead but noooo "muh important plot relevant cameo" haha get fucked guardian fags.

He did make a plot relevant cameo though. He was just dead when he did so.

He wasn't employed. He was just a guy that found a time portal and decided to be a dick to those who wanted to use it. He most likely left Jack alone just because he wanted a rematch.

Ten bux says this is definitively addressed in the final episode.

I am just laughing at all the fags who said he would not get defeated by aku because he outclassed jack. speed watchers will never learn.
> aku can only be harmed by jack sword
but he got a cold once the guardian can probably win too
> all portals are gone
aku doesnt know about the guardian portal because " prediction "

It's perfectly fine for fans to be mad about the outcome of this, the people saying it's ok to get what we got don't understand good writing.

>He wasn't employed.
He did job against Aku though...

Most of the posts I saw were just arguing that the Guardian would be involved at some point because Genndy said in that interview that he would be addressed. And they were right, he was involved.

Just fucking get it. The only person to be allowed by the portal was aku. He chosen to destroy it.

What we see the portal showing about jack is that he needs to live, he is important for the future, so the portal stops his death. Not jacks fault the guardian understood it wrong and though he was going to be the one for sure.

Also RE: "prediction," there's nothing wrong with expecting when a giant obelisk made of light displays an older Jack wearing a crown with a magic guardian then remarking that Jack can't use the portal *yet* that this means it's an accurate vision of the future. It's kind of weird to show that and then have it not happen. That's on the writing, not on the viewers. They decided to show a prophecy of how Jack would end only to take it back with no explanation.

>inb4 guardian getting killed is the explanation, that doesn't explain why that prophecy was made

wtf no most post were about a rematch which never happened. only a few people said that the guardian has been btfo.

> what is multiverse theory
endless possibilities and the one the portal lookee into was wrong

Why would anyone intentionally build a portal for Aku to destroy? And set a guardian to protect it by murdering thousands of good warriors for eons of time leading up to that point? That's an even worse explanation than just saying the portal only predicted a possible future, which is still a pretty bad explanation in itself.

This probably best sums up season 5 for me. Lots of promise but ultimately it's a shadow of its former past

Why even bother showing one possibility out of endless possibilities?

I mean if this was the final episode you'd have a point but it's still possible that Jack ends up as beardy king and worthy for the time portal, even if said portal is destroyed.

maybe because the portal only had access to one ? genndy clearly stated when he was working on sj on cn that he had no idea how to end the show so the guardian and his portal arent all that important at the end since he is heading another way

guardian fags are worse then parentfags. >my headcanon didnt happen fuck you genndy
s5 is still fucking dope

So let me get this straight - people figured the Guardian was gonna be important because he protected the last time portal for the "prophesied one" and kicked Jack's ass. But last I checked the episode never reaffirmed that the issue was Jack's lack of strength or that the Guardian wanted him to eventually use it for Jack's specific purpose. The portal "prophecy" shows Jack as a king but that's all it does. It doesn't tell us anything about how he got there or where he even is. What if it's the future? What if he didn't let Jack use the portal because he realized Jack wasn't meant to return?

In the grand scheme of things the Guardian's importance seems somewhat overstated. The only thing we know about him is that he's seemingly omnipresent and basically a demi-god. Having a rematch with Jack, in hindsight, seems like something that was never on the cards, and if he DOES use the time portal, it's probably not going to be to go back to his home.

No, I think the issue is:

>Magic Portal shows dramatic future ending for series where Jack's an aged warrior king
>Turns out it was just wrong lol

re watch the guardian episode he explicitly says that the one who beats him can use this portal. he killed all those who tried and the portal spared jack

The Guardian's there to protect the portal, from everyone INCLUDING an early Jack. He hasn't been ready until the episode where he got his sword back this season.

But that's exactly my point. We don't know enough about said "vision" to know if it's been dispelled or not because it didn't say enough other than yeah, Jack becomes a warrior king. But where, when and how isn't explained - that kind of future could still apply for him after whatever happens in this episode.

>Twenty years of build-up and this shot is all we get

The episode ended with the Guardian saying he "can't use the portal *yet*". I'm not sure how else you can interpret that except as Jack using that portal in the future. Which conflicts with that portal being destroyed now.

My theory was that after Jack beat Aku he would go back to the portal and the Guardian would talk about how he somehow managed to keep it hidden, then they would rush for each other and right before they clash

WATCHA

Damn I wish genndy or hell SOMEONE

would come out with some SJ comics covering the time gap and all the shit jack and aku did on their own

I guess I can see the point behind the contradiction of it being destroyed. I just find the circumstances behind the Guardian leaving Jack alive a little suspect - he was ready to kill him but the portal was like "nah man don't". Why is him getting stronger so important and what's the metric for it? I have to assume the Guardian doesn't have the full picture other than Jack isn't allowed to die yet, whether that requires the portal or not. I figured the vision would be the most important part rather than what he said but I guess we'll just see in the next episode.

>it's a "You have no right to give criticism about S5 because its perfect and if you say anything bad it's bait" episode

Handwaving The guardian, that entire fucking episode and killing him fucking offscreen for the sake of Ashi , to make us "sad" when she dies is just bad writing.

I wish we got to see how the guardian got rekt.

No I think the issue is

>Episodic show with no continuity has one episode that gives a narrative out for its premise
>idiots clamor for years for a conclusion to a show with no running narrative, lore, or even logically consistent setting.
>idiots FINALLY get what they were asking for (in the form of a long form narrative which is the exact antithesis of what the original run even was).
>Get mad that it's different.

You only have yourselves to blame. IMO season 5 has been unambiguously good, but I'm not going to pretend it was ever necessary.

Nope, he aint the guy
not yet
not yet

You don't need them. The implication is that Jack has been going on zero consequence adventures like the ones from season 1-4 for 50 years.

Imagine that scene with the goat monster but forever or those brainwashed fuzzy-kids forever and you've got a pretty good idea what Jack's been up to for 50 years.

It's not that hard to see. Just a fucking battle of attrition is all and the fact that he couldn't leave that spot meant it was only a matter of time

Jack should have just given the Guardian his sword before Aku showed up to destroy his time portal, then Aku would be fucked.

I just take the IDW comics as canon for this gap, without taking in consideration what contradicts the new Canon.

But Genndy did this deliberately so anyone could come next and fill the gap.

You know, I can respect them wanting to do a "Jack stays in the future" ending, but it seems pointless to bring the Guardian up if he's just going to be unceremoniously killed off screen.

What was he supposed to do against aku when he cant hurt him in any way?

He lives. Also do we have any news on the last episode?

>no continuity

Except that's not true.

Only thing we know about the last episode is that the Guardian is dead.

How the fuck was the cameo plot-relevant? Aku could have showed up almost literally anywhere else.

>IMO season 5 has been unambiguously good
Your opinion is so shit tier I don't even want to hear a word of it.

Guys maybe his glasses just broke and he threw them away and went off to buy another one

He needed to beat Aku in the future if the multiverse time travel scenario applies in that world

This

It was relevant to establishing there were really no more time portals.

That's not relevant to the season 5 plot. It's just fanservice, nothing more.

yeah I'm pretty disappointment desu. Seemed like a complete cop out.

If they didn't show it then it would be a loose end. Genndy literally says that in his Q&A before the first season 5 episode. A fan asked him about the Guardian and the future the portal showed and he answered "it's something we put out there, so we're going to address it in season 5." You can leave out details of how all sorts of other shit in earlier seasons played out in the future, but what you do need to address are situations where you have the character's future end game displayed on a giant magical portal.