Why doesn't Seth MacFarlane just start doing musical theater...

Why doesn't Seth MacFarlane just start doing musical theater? He get a shit ton of money just from the shows he's already created, and it's clearly what he actually wants to do.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VjFyX2sSTGs
youtu.be/7yYmXgDGl0s
youtu.be/_8UX4u0JtxU
youtube.com/watch?v=yYtMYspzKBg
youtube.com/watch?v=alqtKb17Ggo
youtube.com/watch?v=3OqLQwmsYlE
youtu.be/kS3mSJ_3GTM
youtube.com/watch?v=5FhQ_mttmFs
youtube.com/watch?v=c0m2QE9WDkc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Considering he'll forever be associated with Family Guy and its breed of humor, no one will probably take him seriously unless he does something like that.
And no matter what he does, he can't kill Family Guy.
Tragic, really.

>Considering he'll forever be associated with Family Guy and its breed of humor, no one will probably take him seriously unless he does something like that.

The south park guys did a ridiculously successful broadway show.

Just making "parodies" is easier than actually producing a show.

youtube.com/watch?v=VjFyX2sSTGs

I wish he had gotten on that plane.

I spent years avoiding Book of Mormon assuming it was South Park humor.
But other than one or two jokes, it was actually pretty great.
>implying Seth has as much writing talent as they do

Yeah you're right, if you have the talent you can break out of your image. Trey Parker is a super talented composer of musical theater. Seth MacFarlane is just a voice actor who admires musical theatre. Does Seth have a singing career outside of Family Guy?

>assuming it was South Park humor
simply as a musical, the South Park movie is also great. seems like they're better writers in the musical format.

Meh, he can pull off a good Sinatra.
youtu.be/7yYmXgDGl0s

The South Park movie was a really good musical in is own right.

Apparently he got vocal lessons from the same people who taught Frank Sinatra and Barbara Streisand. He's not as forceful with his delivery as they are, and it pisses me off a little. You can feel him holding back when he should be belching out a loud deep note. Maybe it's because i cant sing, i dont know.

But hey, in an era where people take Lil Yachty seriously, I'm pretty sure he can coast by.
youtu.be/_8UX4u0JtxU

He tried an attempt with a cringe worthy TV special, once.

Most of his songs are just rip offs of other songs. Yeah, he likes musicals, but at the end of the day, he's a hack and he knows he's a hack.

He has a good voice and an appreciation for music, at least."

Yeah he's a hack, but he's a hack with a passion.

Stephen Sondheim even called them up saying it was the best musicals he'd seen in years.

>Why doesn't Seth MacFarlane just start doing musical theater?
I bet he's tried, but FOX, somehow, finds a way to fuck him over. Either through restricting contracts or some other legal gobbledygook.

The South Park episodes about musicals was also pretty solid, too.

forgive me father for i have sinned

This is a pretty damn good album. its not perfect but fuck it all it has some pretty catchy shit

I really fucking hate how unironically good the chorus and beat of this song is.

youtube.com/watch?v=yYtMYspzKBg

I wondered this too, he's a really good swing singer, and he seems to love it.

I've been saying this for fucking YEARS

Relevant thread regarding >moot

Seth obviously has talent and as long he keeps his gore fetishism to a minimum I can see him doing a fun comedy musical. DESU it might be best because I think he'd work better in a more constricted medium like Theatre. With animation he can rely on visual comedy a lot more and that's more or less the worst part of the show.

I disagree on one point, if anyone should embrace their gore fetish, it should be while making a musical

youtube.com/watch?v=alqtKb17Ggo

You've convinced me

Family Guy is a riskless cash cow, musical theater isn't.

I was actually thinking about this, but that works too.
My brother has seen this twice, the first few rows are designated splatter zones. I'm so fucking jealous.

Well I mean, he was apparently trained by the same people who trained Sinatra (Lee and Sally Sweetland). So he's got professional training to capture that sound.

youtube.com/watch?v=3OqLQwmsYlE

fuck and i forget the damn link youtu.be/kS3mSJ_3GTM

No one will ever take him seriously. That's the problem. He's become wildly successful and, to be fair, i think at this point is still doing the shows he's doing because they keep his friends in work and give him something to do. OP is right, he could quit any time and live extremely well - but this is true of a lot of people in LA.

I mean, look at Ben Affleck as an example. Won his first Oscar before he was 30 - almost 20 years ago. He could have quit then and nobody would have thought less of him, but instead he kept making shitty Kevin Smith movies because they're buddies and then he made what you could only generously describe as as a string of poor decisions in his private and working lives for, like, a decade. Now it's 20 years later and he's, well, still making poor decisions, but you can see he's making them based on following his dreams. Affleck as Batman is like John Wayne as Genghis Khan - nobody was seriously going to tell him not to do it, but even if they did, when you want a project that badly why let a little thing like talent or age stop you?

A Million Ways to Die in the West was actually... not awful? But I think he could make hundreds of bland, competent movies and just never get taken seriously.

They let him do the Oscars and fucked it up. Granted he can sing quite well, his sense of humor has become quite crude. One day he'll figure out what the fuck went wrong and might make another attempt at something acceptable.

Honestly FOX probably has an offer of first refusal and would turn whatever he wants to do into a shitty cash cow like all his other ideas. So he's probably waiting until his time runs out and the money dries up there and he'll make a move when he's older.

>does user mean what I think he does?
>quick google search
He dodged a big bullet, so what the fuck is up with his "humor"?

Seth wouldn't have had any input on this one, American Dad has a completely different (good) writing staff.

He's a great singer but the man himself is a weird squinty eyed little fuck with no charisma who leans too hard on peepee doodoo jokes

Team America was another good musical

He's a decent singer I'd rather him do that than another season of beat a dead horse guy

Because he's not talented enough to actually pull it off.

>that theme
based.

A two minute pop musical isn't a whole show. He'd never pull off what the South Park Guys have

At this point I feel like the only reason Seth doesn't do it is best explained in that one episode where Brain decided to make a musical: He's genuinely scared that to find out he really is a talentless hack and makes a fool of himself on one of the few mediums he actually cares about.

Probably same reason Joss Whedon hasn't written a musical. Musicals are a huge time suck, it takes a long time to write them and raise the money, and they don't pay great unless you have a smash hit.

To do a musical you have to be willing to take some time off from more lucrative work. Even Parker & Stone teamed with a more experienced musical theatre composer to do their show.

Also Parker and Stone realized after BASEKetball that they didn't have a future as live action stars. Seth spent some time thinking he was going to be an acting or singing star, and he's not good enough to be a star at either of those things.

Maybe he'll go to Broadway when his TV career starts to fade, like Mel Brooks was washed up in movies before he made a musical of The Producers.

I think Seth has the chops for a character actor. His VA work isn't that bad either.

Seth has a great singing voice

youtube.com/watch?v=5FhQ_mttmFs

youtube.com/watch?v=c0m2QE9WDkc

he'd do well in Broadway or something

he's somewhat average looks-wise, but he does have a nice smile.

also

he has a killer voice in general for voicework or even for acting.

that said, it's not like he doesn't do musical stuff. He just does it more because he likes it than because it's what brings in the money. he's released 3 albums.