Doctor Who General - /who/

Rockin in the /who/-S-A edition

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!ZzR2EIKB!NcUpCcBntwRDMGOWx10d7A
indiewire.com/2017/04/doctor-who-review-thin-ice-season-10-episode-3-recap-spoilers-1201810880/
youtube.com/watch?v=oHshSObc1Ts
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yep. The Twelve era was wonderful. We got 3 different versions of Twelve over time, and they were all awesome. We even got one or two kino Twelve novels (Deep Time and The Blood Cell) from it.

I found that Series 9 didn't quite have the same "each episode works perfectly for the character arc" the way that Series 8 did, but it still was great. And Series 10 was a victory lap for 12, but the TARDIS team of 12, Bill and Nardole honestly could have had another series to develop.

>S8 had the terrible Danny Pink subplot tho. And the cheap ending of Death in Heaven.

The Danny Pink subplot helped develop Clara, an functions as a way to show how she's not cut out for a normal life. The main problem was that Samuel never acted with any excitement when it came to Danny (Samuel showed more enthusiasm in behind-the-scenes).

>And the cheap ending of Death in Heaven

If you're referring to the "Love is a promise!" , I kind of like that scene, although I can see why others wouldn't. If you're referring to the "Doctor and Clara lie to each other", that's a perfect ending to the series, though it's incomplete without Last Christmas.

Clara and Danny never seemed to have real chemistry. Series 8 needed an episode where Danny and Twelve were on a solo adventure, to give us more time to get to know Danny.

The "tree fairies" episode is unique for having basically no villains in it. Frankly, any episode that has the companion saying "let the children die" has guts, and after about five more rewrites, Forest of the Night could have been a very good episode. It has wonderful ideas--apocalypse, Who as children's story, faeries as the dangerous creatures they are, the Age of magic is no more, mentally unwell people shouldn't just be medicated and ignored --just never develops them properly.

Who's your dream showrunner?

Hard mode: no Charlie Brooker

for me its just interesting, im curious to see how it all plays out during changes in the show.

also the ratings are important for funding, i'd rather the show not looking like shit if its possible

Do we have ratings figures for TUaT yet?

>Danny and Twelve were on a solo adventure

fuck that would have been kino

briggs for a laugh

>1. Mrs Brown’s Boys – 6.8m (BBC One)
The most viewed program on christmas day 2017 had 6.8M viewers
if that isn't a sign of the medium dying down then I don't know what is

>/who/ presents:
DOCTOR WHO: SHIT TRIPS Vol. 2.5
- The Anthology -

>Are you a true fan of Doctor Who?
>Have you ever written down a sequence of words?

If the answer is yes or no, then you are ready to contribute a literary masterpiece to the third /who/ collection of original Doctor Who-based short fiction, because following the success of Shit Trips 1 and 2, /who/ has started another anthology of wondrous tales. God help us.

This time, the rules will be a tad different, as in we actually have rules now. The stories must be about:

> alternate Doctors (original Doctors, fanmade Doctors, Unbound Doctors, Doctors of wild divergence from canon)

> spinoff characters from audios, books, comics, etc (Torchwood, Erimem, Faction Paradox, Vienna, Sarah Jane Adventures, Iris Wildthyme, etc)

>companion focused stories (stories with the companion facing a threat, or dealing with life, WITHOUT the Doctor)

Besides that, no limits (and your story can be in more than one category above).

>Can still be in any style, whether it's "legitimate writing", "pisstake", or "shitpost".

>the story must be at least 1 word long, and preferably not in excess of 10,000, it's short fiction you fuck

Anyone can contribute, no signups/pitches required. If you have ideas, feel free to broadcast them.

Rest is self-explanatory. Format for uploading your work is up to you, as long as it can be conveniently copied across (and ideally don't spam long texts in /who/ directly). (Pastebin or google drive works well.) And remember to mention, preferably in your work post, what you want your author moniker to be, which doesn't have to be your real name. Also, if you write in Shit Trips 2.5, Amy Pond will sing you a song for an ASMR.

Remember, it doesn’t matter if it’s shit, just have fun! Deadline is April 2nd.

this, the BBC needs to overhaul iplayer and attempt to make it a competitor with netflix, most people would rather watch a rip of doctor who than be bothered to sign up for an iplayer account, especially kids and teens who dont know whether that have a license or not

Reposting from last thread. Enjoy.

mega.nz/#F!ZzR2EIKB!NcUpCcBntwRDMGOWx10d7A

tfw 12/wilf episode never ever

Doing the lord's work user

>the 13/Bradders episodes soon

Danny is a man whose been sent to fight wars all his life, and is tired of dangerous excitement, in part because it gives him flashbacks to the dangers of war. He wants to settle down, and do the small things in life, and help people in normal calm ways. (Clara is an adrenaline junkie, which is part of the reason why she leans to Twelve.)

Danny is the sort of person who might actually say no to traveling in the TARDIS. That's sort of the reason he's sidelined in Series 8--he's not quite companion material. He's a bit like Tegan, or Rory, initially was. In time, he could have learned to appreciate traveling in the TARDIS, but he wouldn't jump at it.

We just needed an episode where Danny and Twelve get kidnapped by aliens or something. Just some time to give them a chance to hash out their differences with each other--because Danny and Twelve have similarities in a few ways. The Doctor and Danny both dislike war, for many of the same reasons--it's just Danny's past as a soldier keeps 12 from realizing that they could be friends.

Silence will fall

>Clara is an adrenaline junkie

Let me rephrase that--she's an adventure junkie. She likes being a hero, both the rush of excitement, and the feeling of "saving the day." It's why she becomes the "proto-Doctor".

S10 was hit and miss
it ended on an immense high but it was a very bumpy road

Silence will fall

agree completely, i wish we had more danny now lmao

Silence will fall

I get what you're saying. It's especially frustrating when RTDfags and even big news sites point to the declining ratings and use that to justify saying that the show is objectively declining in quality, making a few vague references to "THE WRITING" while they're at it but never really going into depth with criticism because they feel like the fact that less people are watching instantly makes their argument correct.

>tfw we'll never have Amy and Rory leave at the end of Asylum of the Daleks, which is rewritten as a Christmas special in the place of The Doctor, The Widow, and The Wardrobe that also introduces Clara and sets her up as the next companion.
>Series 7 is then broadcast in one part with a normal single-parter/two-parter structure ala Series 5 (and I guess Series 6 too but without the 6a/6b break)
>full series is 11/Clara
>2013 is specials only like 2009, except this time celebrating the 50th rather than masturbating to 10, also gives Moff some time off to recharge and deliver Series 8 on the level of 5 and 9

I think Sandifer put it best when he said S10 was like a bonus disc of B-sides and outtakes from a band you love. Still cool to see, but the endpoint clearly already happened (S9) and it was never going to come together super coherently, or end as strongly.

Yeah pretty much, you're right that folks like me can get too dismissive of folks who worry about it though.

post underrated episodes

i think series 8 is my favorite lads, i almost wish series 9 didnt have so many 2 parters if we could have got more fucking kino one offs like series 8

WE

indiewire.com/2017/04/doctor-who-review-thin-ice-season-10-episode-3-recap-spoilers-1201810880/

It's all good. The way I see it they're coming from a good place, even if the doomsaying and obsessing over the slightest drops in numbers can get a bit tiring.

I never said the medium wasn't slowing down, I just genuinely believe there's a non-insignificant number of people who think Doctor Who isn't as good as it once was and choose not to watch accordingly.

My motherfucking bro
Time Heist is legitimately one of my favorite episodes in series 8, which is my favorite of Capaldman's series overall
Also bonus points for having slick as fuck costume variant kino

Remember leak/who/ when everyone loved the first 5 S8 episodes?

Yeah it felt like Moffat couldn't decide if he wanted to write Danny like Rory or Mickey, and once he decided he was going to kill him off by the end of the series he decided not to make him too important and instead focused on 12/Clara and developing them, which IMO works better since 12 was new and Clara wasn't a plot device anymore. Danny should've just been taken out of the season completely, since as it was there was too much Danny for the amount of character development he had but also too little Danny for the relevance he had to the series as a whole, if that makes sense

i just fucking love ensemble episodes, the other characters were great and fit perfectly in a neat little one off episode, plus the reveal is actual surprising and fun

>i wish we had more danny now lmao

You just reminded me of the Danny Pink user.

But yeah, Danny's one of those characters who could benefit from some novels or BF audios fleshing him out. He's unlikely to get any, except for maybe some short stories one day.

>I think Sandifer put it best when he said S10 was like a bonus disc of B-sides and outtakes from a band you love

I sort of disagree with this? Or rather, that's an opinion that might be affected by the fact we knew this might be Twelve's last series. With some changes to the end eps, Series 10 could have been the jumping-off point to at least two more series of adventures for Twelve, Bill and Nardole. There was a lot that could be done with "Twelve is a professor to a young black lesbian dealing with her foster mother, while Nardole is fussing after them both." Maybe Moffat would have stopped and been replaced by Chibs at some point, but there was a lot more potential for the Series 10 team.

Mummy or Flatline would be my favorite to rewatch. I honestly really like Deep Breath as well, and think it's underated.

I came here during leak /who/.

What happened to the randos on the wiki? Did they all actually get scared off by the reclamation rally?

Unironically Gareth Roberts.

NewtDoc with Kowalski companion when?

Series 8 is truly kino for having some of the best side characters ever. Robin Hood, Journey Blue, Psi and Saibra, Perkins and Foxes, shut up I know she wasn't a real character but she's qt damn it companion WHEN, Rigsy, holy fuck, I'd love to see all of them again

I'd have unironically loved to see a Roberts Who, maybe a Roberts/Phil Ford coshowran Who.

RTD era incidental monster species
>slitheen
>ood
>judoon

Moff era recurring monster species
>???

Silence don't count because they were only ever used for the one arc, and don't appear incidentally

It's honestly a bit much just how far they cribbed that character from Matt.

It's hard to forget. Truly the most kino time in /who/story. The influx of hype and positivity was overwhelming. That was when all the Moffat hatred built up from series 6b and series 7 finally started to shift in the other direction as we officially moved into Moff's redeeming platinum age and /who/ has not been the same since

>there was too much Danny for the amount of character development he had but also too little Danny for the relevance he had to the series as a whole, if that makes sense

Yeah, that makes sense. Danny is really a tool to show how Clara tries to adjust to a normal life, and fails. He also functions to show how 12 dislikes soldiers and anything involved with war. The problem is that he works best as a character tool for others, and not really for himself. And due to the fact that Samuel plays him as an emotionally dulled character, Danny ends up as a prop. His most emotional moment was telling off the Doctor while trespassing in the Doctor's TARDIS, which is a horrible way to get Who watchers to like someone.

>Gareth Roberts showrunner making a 13th Dr series

How bad would it get?

I unironically like Fantastic Beasts.

I'd never considered that. Yep, Series 8 had great side characters. I actually think Series 9's Under the Lake 2-parter had some really well-acted side characters.

>Gareth Roberts 13 series

I have no reason to believe this would be bad

series 8 had the BEST characters in a series ever, this is irrefutable

>12
>strax
>jenny
>vastra
>clala
>rusty
>robinhood
>Psi and Saibra
>courtney
>danny
>foxes
>perkins
>rigsy
>maebh
>seb
>kate
>osgood
>MISSY

K I N O
I
N
O

literally the only ones of note are ood, slitheen were only in series 1 and when did the judoon even show up again?

>I think Sandifer put it best when he said S10 was like a bonus disc of B-sides and outtakes from a band you love. Still cool to see, but the endpoint clearly already happened (S9) and it was never going to come together super coherently, or end as strongly.
THIS. I feel like you could remove the zygon episodes in series 9 and have the actual series 9 final be the events of WEaT and TDF with the the christmas special being his regeneration instead of the shit with River and 12's era would end the same if not slightly better better

Yeah, Under the Lake had a really great crew (and who can forget thighkino) but other than that there are no other major side characters that jump out at me like in series 8

To be honest, it probably wouldn't, as long as Roberts doesn't make too many "Doctor is a freak because she's a woman now" jokes. It would probably a really comfy series, with cheesy monsters.

It kinda sucks that Chibnall may not revisit any of those characters. It would have been nice to have 12 drop in on Vastra and Jenny one more time, before his regeneration.

But maybe 13 will meet one of them again.

>>courtney
>>maebh
>>kate
Woah woah WOAH slow down there sailor

series 10 is pretty much the first proper anthology style series we've got in nuwho, despite there being 2/3 parters its the only one with out an overarching narrative and is basically just the doctor going on some adventures, sure some have higher stakes than others, but everything that happens to him is purely by coincidence of him being there rather than a larger plot at work

I believe judoon and slitheen were part of the "every alien ever" at the pandorica moment
And judoon were also in The Magician's Apprentice in the shadow proclamation building

does /who/ not like courtney? despite her being in KTM i thought she was a pretty nice side character and her interactions with the doctor were kino

Considering Chibnall seems to fucking love ensemble casts I'd be surprised if he didn't try to bring in as many characters as possible. We are for sure seeing Kate and Osgood again I mean come on

I was fine with her.

she was a meme at the time of S8 airing since she was an asshole kid
"the nightmare child" we called her

>the doctor meets kate and the osgoods again
>the osgoods thinks its a zygon pretending to be kate

It's not like I hated her but I have no desire to see her again and wouldn't call her a good character like I would the other side characters in series 8. She was decent in Caretaker but was a bit of dead weight in Kill the Moon and "one small thing for a thingy-thing" makes me want to fucking origami myself into a shape of pure cringe

She was a complete brat in her episode, but it was obviously intentional and kind of charming.

She'd've probably been better received if she wasn't in KTM

Courtney, despite being the Nightmare Child, is weirdly endearing now. I could have seen her joining 12, and getting more development, if Clara hadn't returned at Series 9.

I could have watched 1 or 2 more series of 12, Bill, and Nardole.

I think trauma from Angie and Artie colored /who/'s reaction to Courtney.

> We are for sure seeing Kate and Osgood

Chibnall might completely wipe the slate. I seriously hope he doesn't get rid of the Zygon truce.

Thirteen and Kate in the same room will be weird.

>I could have watched 1 or 2 more series of 12, Bill, and Nardole.

agreed, they were a great duo and i think having 5 episodes for only 2 stories let them down a bit. i would have loved a proper comfy christmas special with them all too

>Thirteen and Kate in the same room will be weird.
>Immigrant thinks all white people look the same

Were the memes danker back then?

yes

No, memes as a whole have gotten better over the years. We're up for a slow and steady decline soon, though

It's funny how Nardole went from "that guy in the Christmas special" to an integral part of the Series 10 team.

No, only Jodie Whittaker and whoever plays Kate Stewart.

Yes, they were. Series 10 /who/ never saw a meme as extensive as the "Robots in Sherwood /what/-posting" webm, or the "KtM review" version of the Death in Heaven ending.

>Immigrant hates white people

>we have to wait nearly a year for 2 and a half months of doctor who episodes

based immigrant desu

Neo can you tell all the Asians you live around apart

Yeah, it's a funny thing how even after the first few days here I could feel everyone's faces start to look more distinct, if that makes sense. I know most of my student's names offhand now. It's just a matter of what races you see the most often I think.

why the FUCK hasnt anyone made the TARDIS diner into sneeds yet

>It's just a matter of what races you see the most often I think.
i think different cultures look for different cues when identifying people too. apparently some asians find it difficult to tell white people apart because we all have the same facial structure.

White people smell like bologna, desu.

black people smell like ive never met a black person

Why have a Cletus Cull when we could go the full hog and do a mayocide instead?

these

reminder MOF

Good point. I get amused by the litany of actors students tell me I look like (Andrew Garfield, James McAvoy, Tobey Maguire, for some reason they're all capeshit).

Guys, you're going too far, and I say that as a black person.

Nah, let's do it senpai. White people all deserve to die. Or at least be castrated.

two words for you my fellow negro friend
mayo
cide

were gonna get a 10/13 episode instead of a 12/13 episode arent we?

Sup Ben Affleck
youtube.com/watch?v=oHshSObc1Ts

Gas the whites
Race war when?
Immigrant on the front lines

>for some reason they're all capeshit
truly a worldwide phenomenon. although doctor who is quite big in korea isn't it? for a low-budget western tv series anyway.

Most of Asia

I have the same opinion on the name Charlotte

>one last moffucc.jpg

Reminder that Cats, Neo and Kinda need to share a burger with beet and eggs

>tfw no whovians /who/ meet up

Reminders Immigrant unironically supports exterminating all white people. Kinda fucked up

And he's a gay homophobe.

What did Kinda do?

Yeah Who is known here, I had one Korean coworker talk to me about it a bit.

>beet
I'm up for sharing a feed with any /who/re. Or perhaps just the old favourites ;)

Immigrant it's offputting you literally want most people here to die

i don't like beet or eggs on burgers though. just my britbong ancestry showing

reee

i don't even like tomatos on my burgers. something went wrong when i was born i don't know

what do you like on them?

cheese, meat, lettuce, coleslaw, sauce, bacon, mushrooms, assorted veggies.

i'm a picky eater.

>ywn use Pam's Harvestcraft to make 4 cheeseburgers on the modded /who/ Minecraft server and share them with your new friends Cats, Neo and Kindanonymous.

I forgot Nilso. He can be my friend too