How do you like your inevitably-dated humor, Sup Forums?

How do you like your inevitably-dated humor, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ICQih4RLGIw
youtube.com/watch?v=jR0eBWDVAtw
youtube.com/watch?v=XzbTSkASoDU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I like mine 10 years late.

And yet it's SOMEHOW better then Nu-PPG

remember when we used to call em emoticons?

But emojis are still relevant.

>been out of the loop for a while with cartoon
>decide to check the sources to see if these are real
>they are

No one I knew liked it in the 80s and 90s when cartoons talked like those hobbyist kids that jumped on every bandwagon. Why do they still think this is attractive?

Not really a problem. Plenty of gags from decades old cartoons reference technology we no longer use today and are still funny. If the people of 2017 can laugh at a telegram reference, the people of 2057 can laugh at emoji.

I never stopped. Emoticond are the little faces, those are specifically the dumb faces that come with your phone.

Same way I liked it in the original show, or in shows that came before it that I didn't get because they were before my time.

The show is actually not bad. I do like that Ben and Gwen are no longer bitching at each other for 20 minutes like in the original series

How long until Sonic OCs and Pepe get into a cartoon?

Two different things.
Emojis are actual specific special characters shared across platforms , where emoticons are just :^]

sonic boom referenced sanic

Yes. I've never got that thing.

>They called them Emoticons
>Everyone is fine with them
>Suddendly someone renames them "Emoji"
>Everyone hates them now

What is this supposed to be referencing

>Emoticons
>>Everyone is fine with them
>things that never happened

XDDD he thinks people were never pissed off by emoticons o.o uh, sorry but you have to be 18 to post on TEH 4CHANS XDDD

I'm 24 years old you asshole. Also I've never been on the internet until I was 14, so I was almost out of the "using emoticons" stuff since all I knew before that was "EMOTICONS ARE FOR CHATS AND NOTHING ELSE", and then suddendly in the middle of 2016 everyone and their dog starts sperging out "EWW EMOJIS ARE THE CANCEREST CANCER IN THE WORLD"

well back in MY day we used to call them smileys

I CALLED THEM LITTLE PEOPLE!

i've always been partial to emotes myself

>howdoyoudofellowkids.jpg

Because memes in shows and people complaining about said memes online = free advertising for the show.

Do kids really talk like this?

Jesus christ.

The main difference is that, unlike the second one, the first one does not rely on the meme to work
It is basically a "you should have seen your face" type situation

No one laughs at a telegram reference.

the character saying this was a 20 something hipster tho

yet they still did them

I don't know who created Pokemon Go...

where the fuck did 'emoji' even come from?

when did they stop being emoticons??

brand name vs generic word.

I always said smileys, and I'm surprised we're so rare.

Emoji is public domain?

That's not a telegram. Am I missing something?

It isn't nearly as dated as Unlike PPG, it isn't dated before the episode even aired.

I'll be honest, I've seen so very little hipster stereotypes in my daily life.

Do they only drink gluten-free coffee?

And ride bikes without brakes yes.

Steven Universe referenced Sanic as well

>bikes without brakes

I prefer it so dated that people have forgotten it's referencing something and mistake it for just being absurd.

you mean using beef as cheap replacement for turtle?

youtube.com/watch?v=ICQih4RLGIw

youtube.com/watch?v=jR0eBWDVAtw

6:52-7:25 is pretty funny.

Literally 2008 humour

There's that one, but I was more getting at how there are a lot of references in both books that aren't as readily understood today.

I think a good example would be the poems that Alice recites with the caterpillar, which are parodying popular poems schoolchildren would recite in that time, but are largely forgotten now.

A good joke's a good joke. Plenty of dated jokes in something like Animaniacs, but it still works today because they're funny, not some off kilter reference to something that happens to be popular at the time.

It's not even the right face...

I actually like that Gwen and Ben actually have a distant-family friendship than just cousins smacked together.
But I still can't get over the voice and art direction.

I'd rather it go full Spiderman/Teen Titans with the outdated Amerianime cliches with giant heads and sweatdrops than this Fischer Price+CalArts collab garbage.

POKEMON G O T O T H E P O L L S

>how do you fellow kids: the animated series

>how do you fellow kids
How do you what?
HOW DO YOU WHAT?

By 42 the telegram was already dated technology; this short is a parody of turn-of-the-century American moral stories. The joke is that the message is transmitted in an absurdly tedious way.

Emoticon -> Emotion Icon
Emoji -> 絵文字

Two different, only tangentially related, things have different names? What a shock!

It's because emoticons aren't the same as emoji.
Emoji are the little premade faces, among other things, on smartphones. They were big in Japan for a while before they really took off anywhere else.
Emoticons are the little faces you make with keyboard characters. They are literally different things.

I think TVTropes calls this "aluminum Christmas trees".

Well, you can't make emoticons/emotes on a phone text without it being automatically turned into an emoji nowadays.

what the fuck?

emojis are the little pizza shits that are sent in every email now

>Emoji are the little premade faces...on smartphones

forgot my picture

This isn't true at all, I get messages from a friend who is always sending me literal shitposts with emoticons.

Do you need some assistance?

I'm on a roll today apparently

I don't care because I don't pretend to be an autistic critic from 10 years in the future as a hobby.

> I don't pretend to be an autistic critic
>is on Sup Forums
I don't buy it

Boom was more in-depth than SU, but Stevens figure was undeniably Sanic I'll give you that.

Unless I'm confusing the Sanic reference with the CWC mocking.

It's funny how people on nu4chan go emoticon>emoji REEEE when the rule usd to be
>this is an image board you faggot, don't fucking winky face at me

>from 10 years in the future
You are bad at autism.

Thanks?

I hope you weren't implying I was saying emoticons were any fucking better.
I'm just sick of people saying they're the same thing.
It'd be like if a bunch of people were going around complaining "Why did they change it from 'Driving Under the Influence' to 'Distracted Driving'?"
The two terms are, as an user said earlier, only tangentially related. The term was never "changed."

__________ ___________

The fact that you're on this board in this thread proves otherwise.

Huh. Apparently emojis are filterred out on Sup Forums.

>m-muh dated humor
All fiction inevitably becomes dated. All that means is that it might not be as relevant to the generations it wasn't written for and they'll require a small amount of historical context to get it.

As others have said, Emoji and Emoticons are two different things. The term you're looking for is "smilies".

Inaccurate, poorly animated and sung.
youtube.com/watch?v=XzbTSkASoDU

The problem is that the advent of the internet means culture moves to exponentially higher and higher speeds, and references go from dated in years to dated in months if not weeks.