Is spawn a good comic?

is spawn a good comic?

Life is a mystery.

Everyone must stand alone

Yesterday's so long ago, don't agree with what I know .

As a concept sure, but Todd can't write worth a shit.

It is, up until issue 100.

Then it becomes shit. The main story ends in 100 and it's pretty clear that every issue past that is like a headless chicken running around and/or a cash grab.

If you like 90s turbo edge, sure.

I've no idea about how it is after issue 100 but it isn't a good comic before that, except some of the guest writer issues.
It had some ideas with potential but they never pay off because what this guy said

yeah.

also marvel tried to copy it out of spite as Nightwatch and killed him off three times.

until number 100,after that never was the same

I like him. His early stuff wasn't as good as some of the more recent arks. Back in the day he had an actual biblical Armageddon arc that was good.

Oddly, Marvel-Spawn is a visual knock-off, but he's a science-tech superhero, with a time-travel origin. They didn't go all-in on copying Spawn beyond the surface level.

What are better alternatives for a (pseudo)religious hero?

> Todd can't write worth a shit.
He should've hired a scripter, or someone to trim the fat. The biggest problem with Todd's writing is wordswordswords, it clutters the pages.

He managed to write some instantly likable characters like Sam&Twitch or the Violator.

The average Spawn story:
- Spawn is sitting on his throne, which is made of rotten, worm-infested remains
- Cogliostro or Angela or Violator or the mailman come and either tell him to solve his problems or threaten him with some prophecy (which of course will never be fulfilled)
- Spawn, still seated on his rotten throne, remembers his wife and daughter and cries a bit
- From his skyscraper, Jason Wynn puts a bad guy face and orders some evil action to be done
- Spawn is still in his worm-infested throne talking to his beggar friends, who tell some joke
- Malebolgia says that Al Simmons will be his someday and laughs hysterically
- Spawn is still crying in his throne when a supernatural menace appears and Spawn spectacularly fights it... for three pages
- And now that he has left the throne, he will take a look at his ex-family from the window, like a fucking stalker. He cries a bit more.
- Cogliostro insists that something big is coming, that everything’s going to change, that the prophecy will be fulfilled. One of these days.
- In the end, Spawn is sitting on his stinky throne again.
Repeat for about 100 issues.

It's not just that, he constantly starts plot threads that he interrupts for a bunch of issues and then he seems to suddenly remember them and rushes to resolve them, or just drops them all together and never resolves them at all.

Cool concept that borrows from other comic books in a creative, stylistically compelling way. But it doesn't have much direction and kind of melts into a cacophony of "it would be super rad if..." shit that doesn't work and doesn't go anywhere.

I only ever read the first 100-120 issues. There are some good issues and, from what I remember, some good tie-in miniseries stuff but on the whole it deserved better than it got. Maybe it gets better after that. Isn't it still running?

>Back in the day he had an actual biblical Armageddon arc that was good.

That was hilarious.

He cancelled Armageddon by actually killing everyone on the planet. God and Satan got so pissed off that they went off fighting each other. Then he resurrected everyone.

Oh, and Sam is Bullock filled with cop show cliches, and Violator is the Joker "but awesomer 'cause he turns into an actual monster!".

>Isn't it still running?
Yeah Spawn and Savage Dragon are still in their original numbering.

The Top Cow stuff is also still going, but I have no idea if that's a reboot.

Youngblood just got a new series and it seems like it's not a reboot

I don't think even Valentino cars about Shadowhawk anymore

And of course there's all the Wildstorm stuff DC is struggling to find a place for.

Spawn as a whole has more valleys than peaks but its peaks are pretty high.

I think i've always been in love more with the premise than with the storylines themselves.

Beyond the TV show, i don't think there has ever been an adaptation that made me say "This is the definitive Spawn" like i can say for other characters.

Shame really.

Do they ever touch on the planes of hell after they are initially introduced? only interesting thing so far in my eyes

Eventually he also became magic too, right? He did something where it turns out he was always a bad guy and magic-whammied She Hulk and some C-Listers in North Dakota into thinking he was a good guy. But because one guy survived the thing the magic was threatened to break.