/lbg/

Letterboxd: Post profiles and discuss what you have recently watched

QotD: Have you decided your new years resolution yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

letterboxd.com/machill54/
letterboxd.com/Smoothhands/
youtube.com/watch?v=x4TZEVqKIvs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You don't really think you'll win, do you?

Ludwig Van Beethoven

i'm darth vader

Griffith is a pretty shit director. Not only did he do nothing new, most of his filmography is complete shit that just gets worse as it goes on. Intolerance is alright but nothing special unless it's the first film you've ever seen. Big budget historical epics were already done in Cabiria. Cabiria honestly looks a lot like Intolerance visually and was directed by Pastrone, who is a far better director than Griffith could ever hope to be. But really what makes Griffith shit is he lacks any subtlety whatsoever. He makes use of long takes and multiple events happening in the frame well, but his mise en scene is turned up to 11. A lot of his shots look like they were done by a film school freshman shouting for attention (which he kind of was since he was schooled on film history before directing Intolerance). Really, he's just a name easily impressed plebs that don't know their history lap up. If you actually think anything directed by D.W. Griffith is good after seeing anything prior by superior directors, your taste is highly questionable and ought to be checked for early signs of down syndrome.

Born Today, Dec 30, in 1901, Producer Henry Blanke - The Maltese Falcon, The Fountainhead, The Treasure of of the Sierra Madre, Of Human Bondage, The Sea Hawk, The Nun's Story...

vimeo.com/elihayes

A lot of my lists haven't
been updated for a while.

No longer applying ratings to films that normally would have been rated lower than three and a half stars -- which is also my cutoff point for whether a film receives a like/heart or not -- except for 2017 US releases & the fifteen films that I have rated at a half star:

1/2 = very bad
* = bad
* 1/2 = pretty bad
** = not so good
** 1/2 = average
*** = good
***1/2 = very good
**** = great
****1/2 = fantastic
***** = masterwork

I don't have access to much equipment, many actors, etc. but I do have a passion for making experimental films with my handheld Nikon D3100 -- some have narratives and others do not. Most of them don't contain any dialogue, but all contain music (a lot of it original)! If you're interested in viewing any of my videos, follow these links, and be sure to switch the quality to HD/720p or 1080p if you'd be so kind:

2017 experimental films...
(not remotely updated)

Road to Nowhere
(11 minutes, June of '17):
vimeo.com/221133364

A Dream is a Life Lived and Lost
(73 minutes, February of '17):
vimeo.com/235427172

A Subconscious Stream
(63 minutes, February of '17):
vimeo.com/204845912

Iridescent
(79 minutes, April of '17):
vimeo.com/209624912

Ciliary Currents
(the 20 minute cut of Iridescent):
vimeo.com/209443273

memory, loss
(19 minutes, April of '17):
vimeo.com/210386321

Backtrack II
(33 minutes, April of '17):
vimeo.com/210913862

Dancing with Shadows
(30 minutes, April '17)
vimeo.com/210886298

Prismatic Reverie
(co-directed by Milez Das;
16 minutes, April of '17):
vimeo.com/235454845

The Void (2016) is an experimental sci-fi/drama of parallel realities: the reality of the fictional narrative, the aural component of the film, in which a man is still caught in the chasm of grief years after losing his spouse, and the reality of the filmmaker, whose mother has been a widow since 2012 and whose father's folk art collection, left behind before his death, makes up the visual component -

vimeo.com/169572276

Son and Moon (2016) blends science fiction/fantasy and autobiographical non-fiction; it's a landscape film in which a young man attempts to cope with the loss of his father by undergoing a supernatural experience.

It's dedicated to my father Jeffrey Hayes, who passed away in '12, and inspired by Bill Brown -

youtu.be/MY3zGeMDQvo

Both were recently accepted to the 2016 Mountain Shadow Short Film Festival, the 2016 Allucinema Fest, the 2016 Roselle Park Loves Shorts Film Festival and the 2016 IndieWise Virtual Festival, along with Alex Posen and I's short film, "Frontal Lobe," the link to which can be found below. "The Void" was also accepted to the 2016 Artlightenment Art and Film Festival in my home city of Nashville, Tennessee, as well as the Asia International (Wenzhou) Short Film Exhibition in Beijing, China.

Voice Male (October of '16) is an impressionistic psychological drama concentrating on an unnamed individual's experience dealing with the trauma of having been continuously harassed by a presence from his recent past -

filmfreeway.com/project/891939

Psychedelic/non-narrative genre...
Dream Number

(October of '16, part of ADIALLAL) -

youtu.be/_56ZQxwvllo

Surroundings of a Home

(July of '16) -

youtu.be/Z-eI5690RRs

Faces III

(spiritual sequel to the Void, July, of '16) -

vimeo.com/172784147

Power Line

(recent, March of '16) -

youtu.be/gQWliQxXGPM
Goose Radio

(recent, March of '16) -

youtu.be/fIxn51xXeD0

Experimental Drama Genre...
Frontal Lobe

(recent, April of '16; Official Selection of the 2016 Mountain Shadow Short Film Festival, the 2016 Roselle Park Loves Shorts Film Festival and the 2016 IndieWise Virtual Festival, as mentioned above) -

youtu.be/D4Uz2BkNeD8
Here Even So (Official Selection of the 2015 Student Art Festival, the 2015 International Eurofilm Festival, the 2015 Visionaria Film Festival, the 2015 Blackbird Film Festival, the 2016 Goldensun Short Film Festival, the 2016 Silver Dollar Film Festival, the CreActive International Open Film Festival, the 2016 IndieWise Virtual Festival & the Ozark Shorts Monthly Film Screening Series) -

youtu.be/hTU3vOwI1B8
Waves (Official Selection of the 2015 Visionaria Film Festival, the 2016 Goldensun Short Film Festival, the 2015 Blackbird Film Festival, the CreActive International Open Film Festival, the Film Festival Oder, the 2016 IndieWise Virtual Festival & the 2016 Cannes International Film Festival's Short Film Corner) -

youtu.be/qqjVSpEJiKM

Nobody (Official Selection of the 2012 Brainwash Film Festival & the 2016 IndustryBoost Film Festival) -

youtu.be/a8aDnmjVDGE

Vanished (Official Selection of the Seattle Social Justice Film Festival, the Ozark Shorts Monthly Film Screening Series, the CreActive International Open Film Festival & the 2014 Cannes International Film Festival's Short Film Corner) -

youtu.be/NFERxXrgwqk
Hide and Go Seek (Official Selection of the 15th Annual Milwaukee Short Film Festival, the 2015 CFF Caselle Film Festival, the CreActive International Open Film Festival & the Ozark Shorts Monthly Film Screening Series) -

youtu.be/Ok4avFRXihk

Reflections -

youtu.be/c3BoaPqYm-A
Pixels -

vimeo.com/161419606
Comedic-Fantasy-Crime-Thriller (ha) Genre...
The Duffle -

youtu.be/LUmZbmswDNI
Absurdist Genre...
he takes the pills (Official Selection of the San Antonio Indie Film Slam, the 2016 Goldensun Short Film Festival, the CreActive International Open Film Festival & the 2015 Blackbird Film Festival) -

No link for now!
Dr. Grapefruit -

youtu.be/8d0tO0NJGDI
Atmospheric Horror Genre...
The Troll

(October of '16) -

vimeo.com/183442176

One of Many Places in Which Something Was Stolen (recent, March of '16; Official Selection of the 2016 Just Before Midnight Noir Film Festival, the Film Festival Oder & the 2016 TIF Video Challenge) -

vimeo.com/163485560
Eye Contact (Official Selection of the 2015 Cannes International Film Festival's Short Film Corner, the 2016 Goldensun Short Film Festival, the 2015 Blackbird Film Festival, the CreActive International Open Film Festival, the 2016 IndieWise Virtual Festival & the Ozark Shorts Monthly Film Screening Series) -

youtu.be/0mLC68FBrjY
Stalk -

youtu.be/BsSb6BYVYqs

My 50 favorite feature film directors
(in no particular order) are as follows:

- Andrei Tarkovsky
- Terrence Malick
- Krzysztof Kieslowski
- Stanley Kubrick
- David Lynch
- Lynne Ramsay
- Andrea Arnold
- Pere Portabella
- Brian De Palma
- Philippe Grandrieux
- Fritz Lang
- James Benning
- Orson Welles
- Michael Snow
- Aleksandr Sokurov
- Theodoros Angelopoulos
- Steven Soderbergh
- Bela Tarr
- Xavier Dolan
- Robert Bresson
- Hiroshi Teshigahara
- Akira Kurosawa
- Vittorio De Seta
- Federico Fellini
- Ingmar Bergman
- Paul Verhoeven
- Jim Jarmusch
- Nicolas Winding Refn
- Don Hertzfeldt
- Harmony Korine
- Larry Clark
- Straub–Huillet
- Abbas Kiarostami
- Michael Cimino
- David Cronenberg
- Abel Ferrara
- Tobe Hooper
- Chantal Akerman
- Werner Herzog
- Alejandro Jodorowsky
- Michael Mann
- Sergei Parajanov
- Denis Villeneuve
- Agnes Varda
- Gaspar Noe
- Lars von Trier
- Apichatpong Weerasethakul
- Rainer Werner Fassbinder
- Victor Sjostrom
- Michelangelo Antonioni

My 30 favorite short film directors
(in no particular order) are as follows:
- Michael Robinson
- Ben Russell
- Sharon Lockhart
- Bill Brown
- Takashi Ito
- Toshio Matsumoto
- Ben Rivers
- Bill Viola
- Leighton Pierce
- Len Lye
- Claudio Caldini
- Carlos Casas
- Malcolm Le Grice
- Maya Deren
- Peter Tscherkassky
- Nathaniel Dorsky
- Stan Brakhage
- Kenneth Anger
- Bill Morrison
- Norman McLaren
- Bruce Baillie
- Paul Sharits
- Pat O'Neill
- Peter B. Hutton
- Jordan Belson
- Hollis Frampton
- Chris Marker
- Alan Resnick
- Mary Helena Clark
- Brigid McCaffrey

PS: yes, I do rate short films differently than feature films.

bean

emily

letterboxd.com/machill54/

I’m going to try and make it to more film festivals and rep screenings
Had a good year this year for it which just made me realise I want to go to as many as I can

why did you post all this

you're the best user in this general

>try to defeat /lbg/ for 10 months, 8 hours a day
>fail
TWO THOUSAND FOUR HUNDRED AND FORTY EIGHT HOURS

But at least you gave amdjeet PTSD

take me with you machill senpai

Here's my watch list.

Which one's are worth watching in your opinion?

The Reenant

tarkovsky

looks

a

crack

addict

pedo

and

This but unironically

Looks like someone let the retard out of his cage again

WHO THE FUCK IS NOSAJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reminder that i will fricken k*ll you if you continue to post at nosaj the way you are posting at nosaj

in a way it is gone, look at op pic, just the machill, bruce, megaautist general now

I LOVE ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONEYYYYYYYYYYYY

wheres roberto pancakes

wheres rooney

RIGHT HERE RIGHT HERE! YOU MAY NOT HAVE NOTICED HER BECAUSE SHE'S BLACK MAN FROM SPACE BATTLES!!!

What is Emma Stone was in Space Battles

letterboxd.com/Smoothhands/
emily genes

Family Genes

smoothbrain

smooth anus

Here's the masterpieces of mise-en-scene.

Where's the names of the films, fambolini?

I'm going to add the titles in a bit

wheres original name

mise-en-escene is dishonesty, mise-en-scene is not reproduction

Oops!

The wide angle lens is antithetical towards its intended purpose. Film is a dichotomy of showing and abstracting. The wide angle does neither, it distorts.

who the FUCK is stinkypete

mise-en-scene is spacio-structural arrangement. if you were to record that for a film, it would be reproduction.

Dishonesty incarnate.

When did Flaherty use wide angle lens? He is a genius because he makes fiction indiscernible from reality. Could only do so after years of study and research on his subjects

Griffithnigger is a hypocrite

How to reveal yourself as a philistine on Sup Forums in one word: Dishonest

Flaherty captured things that did not exist in his time

t. dishonest philistine

No. Flaherty used distort in that quote as a shorthand. Flaherty is acclaimed because he does not formally distort

Griffithnigger lies and lies and lies and one day the lies will pile up to his neck, then his mouth, and he will drown under his own arrogance.

Shut up, slave.

the philistine speaks!

I encourage you to come to everything!
We can sit next to each other and then make awkward small talk in the intermissions

The big question right now is...WILL BRUCE REVIEW CACTUS FLOWER?

machill confirmed socially inept!

wahoo!!!!!!!!!!! i stutter every time i talk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now make sure to give a lower score to every other Stroheim work

Barry Lyndon is a must.

Leave.

Make me.

Pauline was right when she said Barry Lyndon was 30's costume drama for dumdums

mise-en-scene shouldn't necessarily reproduce reality
a stylized, color-coordinated frame is as valid as flaherty's organic eye

These are your average Brakhage, Snow, Kubrick, Malick, Benning, Piavoli, Lynch, Straub-Huillet, Costa, Weerasethakul, War Kong Wai, Zulawski, Gerwig fans

No. Kracauer and Arnheim both agree

who /new year's even on Sup Forums/ here?

More like Greta Garbage

You can tell when somebody's sense of history begins and ends.
Also, Griffith already did By the Law. Where do you think Kuleshov stole the idea from

youtube.com/watch?v=x4TZEVqKIvs

>a stylized, color-coordinated frame
just say dumbed down

Ill be marathoning kino

>kracauer
we are not in the 40s anymore, buddy

>dumbed down
Symbolism, expressive colors and patterns that lead the eye and create meaning or...a fucking bathroom?

>we are not in the 40s anymore, buddy
You're right, it's only gotten worse. 1948 was the end

For a film with such a towering reputation as one of the medium's greatest achievements, I was significantly let-down. The writing is great, but dives headlong into coincidence in the third act and never recovers. And what's with that ending?

Many other elements of the film are rather antiquated, and come off as decidedly ordinary when compared to other classics of the time (let alone by today's standards). This looks and feels like an old movie, and that's not very welcoming at all. It also feels twice as long as it is. Not good.

>Intolerance, Louisiana Story, and Greed above Joan of Arc
GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This general is fucking lame. Come join the real patricians over at Cinemos.

MOVE IT FOOTBALL HEAD

>de Sica

Where's Lang and Murnau?

Where's Rooney?

Where's Emily Beans?

Here's the Sight & Sound list of 2018

they do it every ten years, so you mean 2022

isn't the afi supposed to release a new list. last was 2007, now 2017

Intolerance is at 49 on AFI 100 Greatest